Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
86drift
Regular

October 2003
AE86 4age- bigport fuel consumption Mon, 11 July 2005 03:18 Go to next message
Hey all
got a bigport in the AE86 - installed it with an external vl turbo pump and standard lines (smaller one for return line) ect
it seems to be running hell rich- response and power is good so its not bogging down but fuel consumption is rediculous (before you ask i dont thrash it on the rev limiter every gear so its not my driving style)

im finding i average about 260-280 k's to a tank of ultimate- it uses more fuel than my 2L turbo 180sx Shocked
i always keep it over 1/4 tank as i dont have an intank setup/baffles ect but it goes through fuel like its going out of style

Can anyone compare this with similar setups
Also if it makes a difference im running a jap spec ecu- but dobut that would account for much
any advice is mucho apreciated
  Send a private message to this user    
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 4age- bigport fuel consumption Mon, 11 July 2005 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats is terrible economy.

As an example, yesterday I did about 290km on 19 litres of fuel, that is with a bigport 4AGTE. A bit of a drive in Canberra then up to Sydney, so that is Hwy kms mostly, only city driving for the last 30 km or so. Took it easy the whole way, only saw boost occassionally.

From my calculations thats about 6.6L/100km not farkin bad for a 12 second car on an aftermarket ECU Very Happy

My passenger and others on the cruise yesterday can verify this claim as they are on this forum too.

I average around 450km/tank around town usually, that is a mix of cruising and hard boosting. At the track it drinks fuel like a fish as you would expect Wink

You might need to sort some stuff out on your to get it back to normal fuel consumption.

[Updated on: Mon, 11 July 2005 04:01]

cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: AE86 4age- bigport fuel consumption Mon, 11 July 2005 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My Bigport (MAP sensor) gets pretty average economy, but not that bad. I will use about 35 litres over 300k's. Mind you, i havnt had a good look at the setup on mine yet. It seems to be a "chipped" JDM ECU, but i suspect its running in safety mode most of the time. Runs hella rich when its cold too.
86drift
Regular

October 2003
Re: AE86 4age- bigport fuel consumption Mon, 11 July 2005 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah man 40 litres gets 300k's = wtf
I was expecting to get 5-600k's easy on a tank- my car is standard cept for a k&N panel filter in the jdm airbox and its costing me a lot to keep it on the road-

this is my daily so want it to be econmical- turns out my worked 180sx has double the economy which is totally whack
any ideas fellas?
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 4age- bigport fuel consumption Mon, 11 July 2005 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Use the diagnostic port and see if it spits out an error code, that will be the simplest way to find the problem. A quick search of this forum will find you instructions on how to use the diagnostic port and what the error codes mean.

Sounds like your ECU is over fuelling and it is most likely due to a dead sensor or poor connection to the sensor or........a fuel leak Rolling Eyes
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: AE86 4age- bigport fuel consumption Mon, 11 July 2005 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe you arent really running it down to a 1/4tank, because the fuel level sender is not functioning correctly?

How are you working out the fuel consumption?
86drift
Regular

October 2003
Re: AE86 4age- bigport fuel consumption Mon, 11 July 2005 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fuel level sender MAY be buggy though i am putting in a good 20-30 litres and getting only 200 odd k's out of it- dont really want to risk driving with the meter on empty

Will run a diagnostics check tonight- will search for which pinouts to bridge on the port
def not a fuel leak- and taken a bit of weight from the car--ripped out all air conditioning crap ect

which would be a crucial sensor that would overfuel like that- if i can pinpoint it i will take it apart and clean it
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: AE86 4age- bigport fuel consumption Mon, 11 July 2005 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Best way to figure fuel consumption is to always fill it to the same level (full to first "click"), and zero your trip meter at the same time. Then every fill up after that you just look at the trip meter and the fuel reading on the bowser and voila.

Never trust a fuel guage, they would be more accurate if you used them as a compass.
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: AE86 4age- bigport fuel consumption Mon, 11 July 2005 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That fuel economy isnt right at all.

I get about 350km for 30litre. Thats on a bigport which is ported with lumpier cams. Pretty hard driving too..

FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: AE86 4age- bigport fuel consumption Mon, 11 July 2005 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have jdm bigport, pod, full exhaust, no speed sensor. 50/50 highway/city driving, moderate driving style i guess, usually 550kms before i fil up
ultimate all the way.

CHeers

Steve
WHITCHY
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: AE86 4age- bigport fuel consumption Mon, 11 July 2005 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am having the exact same problem with my Sprinter...
AE82 bigport, RWD intake, K&N Pod filter, Extractors and JDM ECU.
I get 180-200kms to a tank, and it doesn't seem to change much wether all my gear changes are at 3k or 7k!!
Is yours chewing oil and coolant aswell?
Even when I run my AUS ECU this doesn't change one bit!
Please keep this thread updated if you find out any solutions and please post the results of your diagnostics test!
If I ever fix mine I will chuck up the solution in here too!
Cheers.
-Whitchy-
fOOZ86
Regular

May 2002
Re: AE86 4age- bigport fuel consumption Tue, 12 July 2005 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they're map sensored right?

is the map sensor hooked up and working properly?

this might sound stupid, but if it's using a different map sensor, and the plugs have been adapted, (i.e. a new map sensor connecting to the older style plug of the ae86) maybe someone crossed the feed and signal wire? that could explain it!.. would run fine on open thorttle but go through a lot of fuel during normal driving Razz

sounds like some kind of map sensor leak or something like that..

maybe it's getting the wrong signal for how much air is in the manifold (map) maybe there's a bad connection in a wire along there.. dunno..

Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: AE86 4age- bigport fuel consumption Tue, 12 July 2005 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
exhaust 02 sensor

i had this fail on my smallport and the economy went to shit ie less than 300kms out of 30 litres

put in an o2 sensor from a camry, all i culd find, and backup and running with 7L/100km economy for daily city drivin Smile

shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: AE86 4age- bigport fuel consumption Tue, 12 July 2005 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my fuel economy isnt great, getting roughly 13 litres per 100 city driving.

i dont have a air temperature sensor, and my oxy sensor isnt hooked up,

i'd check all your sensors, if you have them all.
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: AE86 4age- bigport fuel consumption Tue, 12 July 2005 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, i forgot to say, mine doesnt have an oxy sensor Mad Rolling Eyes
86drift
Regular

October 2003
Re: AE86 4age- bigport fuel consumption Tue, 12 July 2005 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kk bit more info
this is not some ae82 engine converted to rwd
This came from japan from an early ae86 trueno

All the looms were uncut so just plug and play -no messing around
i fit the 02 sensor and it didnt seem too bad though if that could be it ill deff change it

other than that where can i find the map sensor?
With fuel prices nearing $1.30 a litre- i want to fix this bastard-under 300 a tank is a bitch- and as whitchy says doesnt matter if i shift at 3 grand or redline every gear- fuel consumption is the same

cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: AE86 4age- bigport fuel consumption Tue, 12 July 2005 06:11 Go to previous message
The Map sensor is on the firewall (or it should be) above the intake side rocker cover. It is a square black thing, with an electrical lead with a round plug (probably yellow if its JDM, but someone will correct me if i'm wrong) and a small vacuum hose connecting it to the intake plenum (i think approx 1/3 of the way back, on the engine side of the plenum)
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Pressure plate/Flywheel bolts
Next Topic:5MGE wiring diagram/ECU Pinouts
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 30 06:42:24 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.057247877120972 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.