Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » need help! 5ME cold start problems, and ABV questions

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
boxh34d
Regular

May 2004
icon4.gif  need help! 5ME cold start problems, and ABV questions Sat, 23 July 2005 02:31 Go to next message
ok, cold start problems with 5ME. starts quite well, but idle drops to around 500 and hunts up and down like a bitch. misses and farts like nothing else, and even with slight throttle depression, still doesn't come good. can smell the unburnt fuel coming out of the exhaust.
once the car warms up, it idles and runs quite well ( albeit, quite rich ).

i have tested the ABV, and it wont open, so this is obviously part of the problem.
can i take the slide valve out of the ABV so it is permantly open??? will this pose problems once the engine is warm???

the CSI has been serviced, along with the rest of the injectors, so i presume that it is working fine.

is there anything else that could be contributing to cold idle problems?? EGR equipment etc??

the ignition system has been thouroughly tested, along with the fuel system pressures etc, and all are working fine.

any help greatly appreciated.
thanks.
lee.

[Updated on: Sat, 23 July 2005 03:50]

Send a private message to this user    
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: need help! 5ME cold start problems, and ABV questions Sat, 23 July 2005 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just get another ABV

boxh34d wrote on Sat, 23 July 2005 12:31

ok, cold start problems with 5ME. starts quite well, but idle drops to around 500 and hunts up and down like a bitch. misses and farts like nothing else, and even with slight throttle depression, still doesn't come good. can smell the unburnt fuel coming out of the exhaust.
once the car warms up, it idles and runs quite well ( albeit, quite rich ).

i have tested the ABV, and it wont open, so this is obviously part of the problem.
can i take the slide valve out of the ABV so it is permantly open??? will this pose problems once the engine is warm???

the CSI has been serviced, along with the rest of the injectors, so i presume that it is working fine.

is there anything else that could be contributing to cold idle problems?? EGR equipment etc??

the ignition system has been thouroughly tested, along with the fuel system pressures etc, and all are working fine.

any help greatly appreciated.
thanks.
lee.

boxh34d
Regular

May 2004
Re: need help! 5ME cold start problems, and ABV questions Sun, 24 July 2005 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, i have a spare one around here, but i think its pretty stuffed as well.
i put it in near boiling water, let it heat up, and then connected the plug, and turned the car ignition to 'on'. the valve did not close any more ( was slightly open to begin with ).
i then put it in refridgerated water ( around 4 degrees ), and followed the same process but it still did not move.
am i not testing it right, or can i conclude that this one is stuffed.

if it is no good, can these still be had through toyota for reasonable money, or am i reduced to gambling on one found at a wreckers??
thanks.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: need help! 5ME cold start problems, and ABV questions Sun, 24 July 2005 12:01 Go to previous message
You can get them from Toyota, but last time I priced one (a few years ago) they wanted a crazy amount of money!!! (many hundreds!)

The way I went about testing mine in the past was to just apply 12v (or battery voltage), and not worry about any liquid...just ignore the liquid side of it. There is a small amount og adjustment in them via the nut on the side as well...

The best method I found was to mark its position with a pencil, then apply voltage to it for a long time (such that the bimetallic strip was as hot as it would get and hence it was as closed as it would get) and compare to the cold make made, if it didn't move it was shagged Smile

I've got a spare one that I've tested if you're interested? PM me if you are Smile

Cheers
Wilbo

[Updated on: Sun, 24 July 2005 12:04]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Wearing in LSD again?
Next Topic:EFI.ECD relay
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Jun 4 18:22:18 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0035550594329834 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar