Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
el3ctro
Newcomer

July 2005
Year 12 major work Mon, 25 July 2005 07:16 Go to next message
hey every one!

ok ive deicided that for my major work for year 12 i want to get an old corolla and put a 4age motor in it!

a couple of things i gotta ask is,
what year 4age motor should i get?

what age corolla should i put the motor into?

what will i need to do it (so that it runs with the new engine)?

what else would i have to do with the motor or engine accessories after the 4age is in, or what else will i have to change?

where would i pick up a 4age motor from? (a wrecker?)

where should i get the corolla?

is it possible?

how do i do it?

and if any 1 see's an old corolla out there give us a shout

thanks for all the help every one!!
  Send a private message to this user    
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Year 12 major work Mon, 25 July 2005 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As part of any major work/project a literature review/research is the best way to go initially. Some simple searching and looking at what other people on this forum have done should answer most of your questions Very Happy

After that come back and fill in any gaps with a few questions you have.

Good luck.

Hint: the for sale sections may have lots of stuff you need i.e. motor, car, parts etc.
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Year 12 major work Mon, 25 July 2005 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what the hell kind of subject allows you to do that for a major work. damn, why didnt i do that subject! Surprised
el3ctro
Newcomer

July 2005
Re: Year 12 major work Mon, 25 July 2005 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i searched it and couldnt find anything,

STR8 2.8 its a DT subject called Automotive, its mad fun!

can some one give us a hand please?
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: Year 12 major work Mon, 25 July 2005 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
First off, what's your budget?
What's your preference, front wheel drive / rear wheel drive?

Work out these two things to narrow your choices down greatly.

[Updated on: Mon, 25 July 2005 09:36]

el3ctro
Newcomer

July 2005
Re: Year 12 major work Mon, 25 July 2005 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
budget is very very tight $2000
as im still a student and money is hard to earn.

front or rear....dont really care, which one can you find parts easier for?
if i had to choose i guess i would choose rear, but as i said, i dont mind!
bantech
Regular

September 2004
Re: Year 12 major work Mon, 25 July 2005 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK - first up if you searched for "4AGE conversion" on this forum and found nothing something is seriously wrong. Search and you will find.

Second, I think your budget is far too tight and will never be sufficient. But, things you need to consider are EFI fuel lines and tank, electrics/electronics inc loom and ECU, brake upgrade, engine mounts, diff upgrade if RWD and the list goes on.

You could consider a bolt in job such as a 4AC AE82 Corolla. 4AGE physically bolts straight in but you still need to consider the rest.

Going for an older RWD Corolla adds the complication of converting the 4AGE to RWD.

I think you should consider an older Corolla and working with what you've got ie modifying the existing engine and drivetrain. $2000 could potentially see the purchase of the car, engine, suspension and brake modification and result in a reasonably neat package.
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Year 12 major work Mon, 25 July 2005 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
where abouts are you?
i know of a 78 rola if ur intrested. its a family friends car, belonged to an oldie so its in good condition, minimum rust if any, never ever thrashed.

i dunno if they want to sell it, and i dunno how much they willing to take, but ill through a figure at them and u can see if ur/there intrested.

ill get bak to you with it.

-----
jason
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: Year 12 major work Mon, 25 July 2005 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how about instead of a costly engine conversion, you get a car with a knackered motor, and get it running again? Get an old K series Corolla, pull down the engine, sort everything out, get it running again?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Year 12 major work Mon, 25 July 2005 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
peeack wrote on Mon, 25 July 2005 20:56

how about instead of a costly engine conversion, you get a car with a knackered motor, and get it running again? Get an old K series Corolla, pull down the engine, sort everything out, get it running again?

agreed, rebuild with gaskets and machiining will set you back $500+ with pistons, and potentially more educational.
$2K might get a 4AG into a car, but only if you have most stuff already or get it very cheap, and it is nearly a bolt in job (AE71/AE82/AE92)

otherwise it will be a lot of buggerising around, and well otu of your budget..

some ppl do it cheap, but maybe $3-5K is a better budget to start with... assuming this will have to be engineered and registered as part of the project?

Cya, Stewart
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: Year 12 major work Mon, 25 July 2005 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a 4ag in a ae71 would be pretty much a swap over... it could
almost be cheating Rolling Eyes

but u might die on the looming bit Confused
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Year 12 major work Mon, 25 July 2005 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tell us where you live...
el3ctro
Newcomer

July 2005
Re: Year 12 major work Tue, 26 July 2005 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bantech wrote on Mon, 25 July 2005 20:28

I think your budget is far too tight and will never be sufficient. But, things you need to consider are EFI fuel lines and tank, electrics/electronics inc loom and ECU, brake upgrade, engine mounts, diff upgrade if RWD and the list goes on.

Going for an older RWD Corolla adds the complication of converting the 4AGE to RWD.

I think you should consider an older Corolla and working with what you've got ie modifying the existing engine and drivetrain. $2000 could potentially see the purchase of the car, engine, suspension and brake modification and result in a reasonably neat package.

i cant just suddenly walk up to my bank and go 2g what why dont i have 10g?
i can only work with money that i have!

im now going to worry about upgrading brakes etc. because all i want is to put a 4AGE into the corolla, i dont care about performance i just care that the engine actually works!

what else would you recommend, as i said i want to do this for a year 12 major work so it has to be hard but possible and something that not many others will do, but i also have to work within my 2g budget.

at first i wzas thinkn of doin a corolla KE series and putting in the 4AGE, but i am unsure now, so any ideas are welcomed!

i am located at sydney NSW.

i dont know whether or not reconditioning the motor new pistons etc would get good marks?

smokey what sort of rola is it?

thanks everyone!
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Year 12 major work Tue, 26 July 2005 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree with the past couple of posts i did DT in School as well and came in the top 5% of the state. If you document it properly you will get a far higher mark modifying and experimenting with a k series engine not only that but people will throw them at you. i have 2 blocks sitting on my garage floor that are going to the tip soon that you can have for nothing.
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Year 12 major work Tue, 26 July 2005 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u could bring the budget down buy installing a 4AGE into a gokart (or fabbing a go kart style frame from scratch)

gixxxer cart style

bantech
Regular

September 2004
Re: Year 12 major work Tue, 26 July 2005 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=el3ctro wrote on Tue, 26 July 2005 11:12
i cant just suddenly walk up to my bank and go 2g what why dont i have 10g?
i can only work with money that i have!

im now going to worry about upgrading brakes etc. because all i want is to put a 4AGE into the corolla, i dont care about performance i just care that the engine actually works!

[/quote]

I think the point is clear. $2K is not going to be enough. And not considering the safety aspects of this type of conversion is just not intelligent.
el3ctro
Newcomer

July 2005
Re: Year 12 major work Tue, 26 July 2005 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok so i shouldnt do the 4age, thanks for helping me come to this, now i know that it is unlikely that i will be able to do this for under 3g, what ideas do you guys and gals out there have for me to do for a major work, any ideas would be good.

jason what did you do for yr 12?, can i get back to you about the motor?

thanx heaps
bantech
Regular

September 2004
Re: Year 12 major work Tue, 26 July 2005 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its not that you shouldn't do it. Its just that you can't do it properly for the money you've got to spend. And you'll just end up disappointed.

Find yourself a clapped out KE and have a go at all the major components - brakes, suspension, engine mods and body. Even if you just freshen up brakes and suspension

Spend 2-3000 on that and you'll get a good outcome.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Year 12 major work Tue, 26 July 2005 12:14 Go to previous message
To be honest, I didn't spend too much getting my KE70 going with a 4AGE, better brakes, and a few other things, in the first place, but then I was lucky a few times and did everything I could myself.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ke35 2TGEU Q's
Next Topic:3TGTE 200rwkw???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 30 01:15:22 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047130584716797 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.