Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
import 4age and petrol types Tue, 26 July 2005 08:56 Go to next message
ok, so if i was to get a japanese import 4age, it would 'prefer' premium petrol, i know that much
but say if it was run on aussie electrics (prob 86kw), like ecu, injectors and all that jazz, would it run fine on normal unleaded?
to me that would make sense, as the engine is being told to run as for an aussie engine, rather than a jap one, but i just want to confirm this

thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: import 4age and petrol types Tue, 26 July 2005 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why not just use 98 anyway?
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: import 4age and petrol types Tue, 26 July 2005 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a bit expensive Razz

yeah, i know it not expensive relative to everything else and shit, but hey
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: import 4age and petrol types Tue, 26 July 2005 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so sell the car and buy a cheaper car or use the bus.. or drive less Razz

if you can't afford petrol (ie, you can't make the extra $2 or whatever a week for premium) why d you have a car at all when rego costs are so high (relative to fuel costs)?

ie, rego+ insurance = what? minimum $700 a year

10,000km driving = 1000L petrol = $1200 fuel... over a year thats what? 10c/L difference = $100.. that's 2/5ths of fuckall

maybe eat at maccas less Razz
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: import 4age and petrol types Tue, 26 July 2005 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, well im not going to ge all hyped up about your questionable comments like some would Razz

by cheaper car you mean more efficient? you cant get much more efficient than a 1.6L corolla Razz
plus i would get next to nothing for my car at the moment, as it doesnt have a running engine Confused
i can afford it, and obviously havent done the maths, but if i can i'd rather run it on unleaded, cos im a cheap bastard with no job (yet) Razz

and i dont eat at maccas at all, im what some people would call a stick Laughing

edit: can someone just tell me the answer already? think of it as a hypothetical situation, and an oppurtunity to show off your immense knowledge Razz

[Updated on: Tue, 26 July 2005 20:54]

koen
Regular

March 2004
Re: import 4age and petrol types Tue, 26 July 2005 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My JDM RWD 4age runs fine on standard unleaded, with the jap ecu. It normally gets BP ultimate anyway.
DRFT - 86
Regular

February 2005
Re: import 4age and petrol types Wed, 27 July 2005 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lad the import 4age should run fine on normal unleaded... its been used many times in mine before with no dramas... although I alwayz use premium... now. U can notice the difference .. runs alot smoother I believe..
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: import 4age and petrol types Wed, 27 July 2005 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
does the jap motor have a knock sensor and adjust timing based on that?

i imagine that if you put std unleaded into it and it starts to ping the ecu will pick up on it and retard the timing accordingly

i think the 4age was setup in japan for their regular unleaded which is like 98RON or sumthini think they get up to 105RON?? not sure never been there cozi cant speak japanese. but anyway i've got a JDM 100kw 4AGE and i've always run it on BP 98RON and its been sweet, i wuldnt like to run it on 91RON unleaded but thats just me. i get fuel economy to about 7.5l/100km my mums suzuki swift 1.3l gets about 6/100km so u can get more fuel efficient cars but then again the swift only makes 42kw Razz
koen
Regular

March 2004
Re: import 4age and petrol types Wed, 27 July 2005 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No knock sensor on NA bigports (nfi about the GZEs).
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: import 4age and petrol types Wed, 27 July 2005 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hunty wrote on Wed, 27 July 2005 15:35

does the jap motor have a knock sensor and adjust timing based on that?

i imagine that if you put std unleaded into it and it starts to ping the ecu will pick up on it and retard the timing accordingly

true, didnt think about that

anyway, this can be dropped now, if i happen to get an import, ill just run it on whatever it runs on best, not that much difference between prices
devolutio
Regular

October 2004
Re: import 4age and petrol types Wed, 27 July 2005 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skellator wrote on Wed, 27 July 2005 06:53

ok, well im not going to ge all hyped up about your questionable comments like some would Razz

by cheaper car you mean more efficient? you cant get much more efficient than a 1.6L corolla Razz
plus i would get next to nothing for my car at the moment, as it doesnt have a running engine Confused
i can afford it, and obviously havent done the maths, but if i can i'd rather run it on unleaded, cos im a cheap bastard with no job (yet) Razz

and i dont eat at maccas at all, im what some people would call a stick Laughing

edit: can someone just tell me the answer already? think of it as a hypothetical situation, and an oppurtunity to show off your immense knowledge Razz

lucky you get an answer at all! it is a bit of a tard question and all, modifying an engine with at least $80 worth of stuff to save 5c per litre of petrol.

shop at safeway, collect your dockets, and put whatever they call that stuff that comes out of their pumps into your car! oh and do a budget or something (maybe invest in a garden hose and syphon from yo' pas camira, he wont mind).

Laughing
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: import 4age and petrol types Wed, 27 July 2005 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skellator wrote on Wed, 27 July 2005 06:53

well. i won't tell you to fuck off and search like many ppl would..... Rolling Eyes

so you get an 'aussie' 86kw... is it really that different than a ik 'jdm' 86kw? injector size, timing etc? are they really that different?
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: import 4age and petrol types Wed, 27 July 2005 21:35 Go to previous message
i did search so Razz

and im getting an aussie 86kw anyway
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1jz map sensor wiring
Next Topic:Sprinter suspension bushings
Goto Forum: