Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » A/C Tech?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ozzy31
Occasional Poster

June 2005

A/C Tech? Tue, 02 August 2005 03:21
Hi, anybody got any hints on an A/C problem with my 5m-ge Cressida?

The history, it was given a clean bill of health and recharged with the new style freon about 3 years ago. Worked great for a whole season. At some point the fuse blew when the A/C was turned on. Figured it was probably the A/C clutch... since it was the end of the hot season, I didn't do anything about it. So the A/C hasn't run in more than 12 months...

Today I checked the manual, says a healthy A/C clutch coil should have a resistance of 3.5 ohms +/-. The 'new' used replacement I got tested ok, the old one had a resistance of 1.5 ohms, I felt I was on the right track!

Anybody ever tried to replace the A/C clutch without removing the compressor from the car? Don't, it's a horrible job... something about trying to remove and refit snap-rings with snap ring pliers when you can't actually see what you're doing that causes spontaneous creation of exotic new cuss words...

Anyway, after a horrible day, I was finally complete... all cleaned up and ready to go! But... I replace the fuse, fire up the car, turn the A/C on... and nothing happens. Check the fuse, it's intact - it didn't blow... check for power at the compressor wire, nothing... apply 12vdc to the clutch and it engages... but still no cool air inside. Looking at the 'window' on the thing, I could see freon flowing (but then I'm not sure what normal looks like - should it look milky?)... do I just assume that I need a recharge and that's why the clutch wasn't engaging because the pressure switch would have prevented it...

Sure hope so... what a freakin' miserable day...

If anybody could confirm - I'm sure not looking forward to spending big money on anything to keep this old car's A/C going... but a recharge wouldn't break the bank...

Thanks.
  Send a private message to this user    
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:help . ke20 diff and front brakes upgrade
Next Topic:3SGE Rebuild or Not?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Jun 10 22:47:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0030951499938965 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.