Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
AE86 Fuel System Upgrade Wed, 03 August 2005 04:15 Go to next message
Hi people
Car is ADM 86 with 96KW 4AGE

I have noticed this morning that my external VL (i think) pump is drawing a fair bit of current, suggesting it is having "issues", so i am reserching the available options.

The current setup appears to have no surge tank, its just a VL pump mounted under the car in front of the diff.

First question,

Is it possible to tell the difference between a carby 86 tank and an EFI 86 tank from the underside without pulling it off the car? (just in the off chance it has already been swapped).

I dont like the idea of running without a surge, so if i need to replace the pump, i am thinking of a new system altogether.

A lot of people talk about AE82 EFI pumps, is this for the Carby tank or the EFI tank?

I think my easiest solution is to install another low pressure pump then a surge before the VL pump, but after serching the forums there is a fair bit of ambiguous information out there, leaving me more confused than ever.
  Send a private message to this user    
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: AE86 Fuel System Upgrade Wed, 03 August 2005 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Firstly are you sure something is wrong with your pump? If it aint broke dont fix it. My lift pump pulls about 10amps (it is a Holley Blue after all)

An EFI pump will work in a non-EFI tank, but you will just get fuell surge when you get low on juice.

Options:
- Continue running as is and just don't run your petrol low

- Drop an intank EFI pump into the tank. Assuming your tank is NOT baffled then again don't run your petrol low.

- Use another pump to lift into a surge tank and then use your current pump to draw from this and pump to the fuel rail

- Pull out your tank and add some baffles so you can run an in tank pump and not worry about surge.

All of this info and more should be available plenty of places around the net so keep reading.

Hen
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: AE86 Fuel System Upgrade Wed, 03 August 2005 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, im not sure as yet, but when i went to hit the kill switch on the pump this morning when i parked it, it was quite hot compared to normal. Now it could be the switch, but the pump was labouring quite a bit more than usual (its normally fairly audible, and "pulses" at idle, but it was at full cycle while which was not its usual thing)in a nice long traffic jam on the way to work and i have been toying with the idea of adding a pump and surge setup anyway, so its been running around in my head for a while.

Thanks anyway Henn
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: AE86 Fuel System Upgrade Wed, 03 August 2005 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FFFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRKKKKKK!!!!!

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Your fuel pump is run through a KILL SWITCH!?!?!?!?!!!!!!one

This, and your fuel pump wiring, are solely the cause of your issues. Those camira/VL pumps work fine when mounted next to the tank in an AE86, so i have serious doubts your pump is toast.
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: AE86 Fuel System Upgrade Wed, 03 August 2005 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very Happy yeah, its a bit dodge, My car has been a bit of a "magical mystery tour" since i bought it, i got a few inherited issues to sort out
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: AE86 Fuel System Upgrade Wed, 03 August 2005 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Run the kill switch on your fuel pump RELAY, not the high current wires to the pump itself.
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: AE86 Fuel System Upgrade Wed, 03 August 2005 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I shouldnt really post technical questions on here when im busy at work, Razz Embarassed Its painfully obvious to me now what is going on. The pump already runs through a relay, controlled by the kill switch, which makes this whole thread pretty useless. I think the warm kill switch is more an indication of the kill switches condition Rolling Eyes

Feel free to ignore this thread Embarassed Embarassed

But, one question still stands. I know EFI 86 fuel tanks are hard to come by, but does anyone know if you can tell the difference just by looking at the underside of one?
cnic82
Regular

January 2005
Re: AE86 Fuel System Upgrade Wed, 03 August 2005 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You should try mounting your fuel pump a little closer to the tank, i run a bigport 4age with some dodgy efi pump out of god knows what and have not had a problem.
I also ran an 8mm line to the fuel rail for better flow and future mods, i would also reccomend this. A mate of mine with a gze used is original (6mm) lines and it ran like shit until he replaced them and it was sweet.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: AE86 Fuel System Upgrade Thu, 04 August 2005 09:20 Go to previous message
dood it wasnt the original lines it must have been something else. i ran my gze on 15psi for ages with no troubles, and now im running a fairly large turbo and the standard lines are holding up fine. its not ideal, but for a 4age its deinfately ok.

cannonball, if i were in your situation and i was parranoid about it id just run a surge tank. you can fit one under the car, would cost you no more than $200 to get the whole setup running.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Exhausts
Next Topic:COOLING SYTEMS/ putting thermos on switch
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Jun 6 02:20:00 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050389766693115 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.