Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1jz problems?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
bowlsclubboy
Regular

January 2004
1jz problems? Mon, 08 August 2005 09:32 Go to next message
Hey guys, My 1jz cressy has a few minor hiccups that i thought someone might have half a clue about?

-When starting cold and letting my car idle, it sometimes drops that low in revs that it stalls, most of the time it idles fine though so it cant be the idle setting (i dont even know if the 1jz has one anyway lol) Especially if i rev it a bit during this time. It will blow a SHITLOAD of black smoke and when i back off, the reves die right off.

-If i'm being mean and i drive her a bit harder than usual on a really cold day, not full throttle, just accelerating harder than a granny lol...it kinda dies in the arse a little and i have to ease up and let the speed come up gradually. It's actually almost caught me out on one or 2 occasions when trying to cross an intersection at the mormal 1jz speed lol.

-It seems to have lost some power, and i dont think it's just me getting used to it. Tramping it in the wet used to make me hang on for dear life (i couldnt live without an LSD hehe) previously, but now its kinda Rolling Eyes

Could it be a simple intermittant vac leak or something?

Cheers,

Trpy

[Updated on: Mon, 08 August 2005 09:37]

Send a private message to this user    
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1jz problems? Mon, 08 August 2005 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check your fuel filter.
bowlsclubboy
Regular

January 2004
Re: 1jz problems? Tue, 09 August 2005 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The filter is probably only a year old (i think my cut probably came with the original item)so i replaced it with a generic ryco filter as a genuine was $160 or something for the chaser :/

How often should you change these? Its probably a good idea all the same, just an absolute prick to do on a jzx81 Sad

-Troy
sxturbo
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: 1jz problems? Tue, 09 August 2005 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is it misfiring? does the note of the engine change?

could be coil packs or plugs.

bowlsclubboy
Regular

January 2004
Re: 1jz problems? Tue, 09 August 2005 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah lol, it almost stalls so that would mean it changes sound. Its odd that its only when its cold though doesnt it?

The plugs were replaced not long ago with NGK platinums.

[Updated on: Tue, 09 August 2005 08:28]

Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: 1jz problems? Tue, 09 August 2005 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's over fueling.
That's your black smoke.
Check the ECU for codes, the engine may not be getting the appropriate TPS or AFM/MAP sensor reading and is over fueling the engine.
Check the air filter out also.

Also, if that doesn't work, disconnect your battery for 5 mins (in this time pump the brake pedal a few times, and turn the headlights on and off a few times) That just makes sure all electricity drains from the system.
It will basically WIPE all of the info the ECU was holding from when it had been being driven before last disconnect.
Then reconnect the battery, and let it idle for a while...

If you are running an aftermarket ECU, you might have it setup rich for when the temps are REALLY low, and you might just need to lean the mixtures out at low temperatures a little
bowlsclubboy
Regular

January 2004
icon10.gif  Re: 1jz problems? Tue, 09 August 2005 10:09 Go to previous message
Thanks mate, i should have tried it myself. Just disconnected the battery, removed my shitty HKS pod (i oil it btw as my local (read: rural) drag strip is very very dusty in the pits) but 1jz's don't have any AFMs or anything to get pissed off by the oil do they? Anyways, went for a drive nice and slow like, did a bit of 100km/h cruising to get the fuel economy side of things lol...got into town, gave her a bit of a stab (it was wet) and it broke traction when it hit second so something must be happy. Still wasnt perfect but i suppose the fuel maps will work themselves out over the next few days...i'll keep you guys posted, thanks for the help.
Cheers,

Troy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:What other control arms that bolt into '78 celica?
Next Topic:Tightening a Crank Bolt?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 30 08:31:54 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.10935211181641 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.