Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
The Untouchable
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Highflowed CT20 VS Ct26 Sun, 07 August 2005 02:09 Go to next message
well i searched through all the information i could find on here, but couldnt find anything completely specific to what im after.
if cost wasnt a factor: what would create more power/speed on a 3tgte, a rebuilt, high flowed ct20? or a good condition standard ct26?

if i overlooked a thread, if someone could direct me to it thatd be great.

from what i read, the ct20 is a bit of a garbage turbo, but does a highflow bring it in to the territory of the ct26?
cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Highflowed CT20 VS Ct26 Sun, 07 August 2005 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CT20 from a hilux?

A CT26 Twin entry. would be cheaper and alot easier to highflow and rebuild.

I brought a CT20B off a 1993 GRP A 205 and is the biggest waste of money ever. It's hard for places to rebuild the turbo due to the fact its all mixed in and match there's no off the shelf parts for it and to rebuild to oem specs. will cost more then having a CT26 highflowed.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Highflowed CT20 VS Ct26 Sun, 07 August 2005 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why would u bother rebuilding it to standard specs anyway.. if your turbo brakes would be a lot beter to hiflow it etc.. thats what id do anyway.
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Highflowed CT20 VS Ct26 Sun, 07 August 2005 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good question mate,
Kahn all you turbo experts
TA22-3SGTE
Regular

May 2002
Re: Highflowed CT20 VS Ct26 Sun, 07 August 2005 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A CT20 HiFlowed to the maximum will never flow as much as a standard CT26 , Your best option is a single entry CT26 off a ST165 or a 7MGTE as these have steel wheels compared to the CT26 twin entry which has ceramic wheels and are only safe to about 15lbs , also the single entry are a lot cheaper to get rebuilt and HiFlowed, When rebuilding the twin entry a new steel rear wheel and shaft will need to be fitted because the shaft nearly always breaks when it is disassembled , The ST165 CT26 will give good early boost on the 3TGTE and hold around 16 - 20 lbs , The 7MGTE CT26 will come on boost a little latter but should hold 25 - 30 lbs, The ST165 has a 40 mm comp wheel and the 7MGTE has a 47 mm wheel both rear wheels are the same size but the rear housing on the 7MGTE turbo is larger which allows better exhaust flow at higher revs but will give a little more lag , I am using a single entry CT26 with 7MGTE rear housing and HiFlowed comp with 50 mm wheel , This is on my 3SGTE and will hold 30lbs .

Trevor
The Untouchable
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Highflowed CT20 VS Ct26 Mon, 08 August 2005 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i already have a highflowed ct20 and i dont know whether to use that or to go and buy a ct26. thats why i only cared about comparative power outputs and ruled out the feasability of rebuild and highflowing costs.

thanks ta22 3sgte, will a single entry ct26 deliver far superior power delivery than a highflowed ct20?
t18_psi
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: Highflowed CT20 VS Ct26 Mon, 08 August 2005 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry to butt in, but would the fitting of an st165 ct26 onto a 3tgte require an ecu upgrade??
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Highflowed CT20 VS Ct26 Mon, 08 August 2005 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm pretty sure that the stock ECU will handle the CT26 but you may need to upgrade your injectors and have a fiddle with your AFM adjustment spring. I'd say just upgrading your injectors would do it. I'm planning on this mod and was hoping to get away with just running the CT26 on low boost and not modding anything. Doubtful that this will be a good idea.

At any rate, the stock ECU should manage but I'd definitely go for intercooling if you have the option.
TA22-3SGTE
Regular

May 2002
Re: Highflowed CT20 VS Ct26 Mon, 08 August 2005 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Untouchable , Yes the standard single entry will flow much better.

t18_psi , Fitting a CT26 to the 3TGTE will not need any ecu upgrade if you run the same boost level , if you lift the boost higher than the ecu is programed to run you can fit a rising rate fuel regulator to give your motor enough fuel when on the higher boost , if you fit bigger injectors without an aftermarket ecu to reprogram the fuel curve your motor will run to rich .

Trevor
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Highflowed CT20 VS Ct26 Tue, 09 August 2005 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey i have a ct26 from a 7MGTE in my gt4 and although its a bit slow to get onto boost for 7-8psi is pulls really well when it gets going. But im not sure how it compares to a high flowed ct20 sorry.
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Highflowed CT20 VS Ct26 Tue, 09 August 2005 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

if you fit bigger injectors without an aftermarket ecu to reprogram the fuel curve your motor will run to rich .

What makes you so sure about this statement? There are a number of 3TGTEU with stock ECU's that run bigger injectors.

CLG says

Quote:

I'd be happy to run the standard computer till the injectors reach their duty cycle, then I'd be looking for larger injectors that the computer can still run with. It will handle any boost you care to give it - it keeps dumping fuel in to compensate boost, but you will have to address the pistons after 10/11psi - they're not built to take any more.
Althought the computers run rich, they still return good ecconomy, mine averages 9-9.5L/100Km, and I'd rather have a rich forced induction engine, than a lean one, it's a good safety margin.

The Untouchable
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Highflowed CT20 VS Ct26 Tue, 09 August 2005 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the standard 3tgte pistons can only handle 10/11psi.....?
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Highflowed CT20 VS Ct26 Tue, 09 August 2005 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a stock-standard ST205 3S-GTE CT20b twin-entry turbo, until I realised the seals in it were blown. Got it rebuilt, and hi-flowed while I was at it. Precision Turbochargers at Wetherill Park rebuilt mine, but they suggested to completely scrap the guts of the original CT20b because of it's condition, and replace with the guts out of a CT26, and with a 56mm steel-wheel instead. They bored the housing out about 1mm more to accommodate the new comp. wheel... I believe this is what Gary Georgiou did with his ST205 as well. It's a tad laggy up to about 2600Rpm, but from there it's like a rocket. Although this would be too laggy for a 3TGTE.

Just my 2c. Wink
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Highflowed CT20 VS Ct26 Tue, 09 August 2005 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think that when we talk about what any parts can handle, it's better to talk of what the safe working load is rather than what they can handle. I know of people who have run 12psi without intercooling but for how long? At 10psi it's doubtful you will have any dramas at all, even without intercooling.
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Highflowed CT20 VS Ct26 Tue, 09 August 2005 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rolling Eyes

[Updated on: Tue, 09 August 2005 08:38]

bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Highflowed CT20 VS Ct26 Tue, 09 August 2005 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shit, triple posting!

[Updated on: Tue, 09 August 2005 08:19]

The Untouchable
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Highflowed CT20 VS Ct26 Tue, 09 August 2005 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and with intercooling, bigger injectors and aftermarket computer, what boost is safe then running completely stock internals?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Highflowed CT20 VS Ct26 Tue, 09 August 2005 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that all depends on the tune.... if you tune it past the limit, it will die, but if tuned a little conservatively, it will last a lot longer.. for any given boost level...
The Untouchable
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Highflowed CT20 VS Ct26 Tue, 09 August 2005 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, so does that mean running it a bit rich?
for the things ive listed, with a highflowed ct20, what would be max boost level i could run? with out going into the real dangerous territory?
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Highflowed CT20 VS Ct26 Wed, 10 August 2005 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I could see you running up to 14 psi but I wonder at the efficiency of a CT20 (even highflowed) at this level. A CT26 would return better performance at lower boost levels I think...

It seems that very strong performance can be made with only internal mod being forged pistons. I'm going in this direction with my CT26 upgrade. (when I can afford it)

To be honest, I have been extremely impressed with my 3TGTEU in stock form on my T18. It's very quick. The motor is a minter though, with very little KM's.

[Updated on: Wed, 10 August 2005 01:26]

DamMR2T
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: Highflowed CT20 VS Ct26 Wed, 10 August 2005 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are all you guys talking about the CT20 or CT20B(off a Gen 3SGTE).

If it's a CT20B, which i read is a revision of the CT26, am i right in saying i would be better off getting a CT26 and highflowing it rather than using a standard CT20B for my Gen3 3SGTE.

Assuming i run the same boost pressure on each turbo are you guys saying the CT26 should flow more air or does it all depend on what is used when highflowing the turbo.

Perhaps i should be comparing like with like. Which is better a Standard CT20B or a Standard CT26 at same boost pressure?

If you are all talking about a CT20 and not a CT20B then ignore my post.
The Untouchable
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Highflowed CT20 VS Ct26 Wed, 10 August 2005 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im talking bout a CT20, as title goes, not the mysterious CT20B
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Highflowed CT20 VS Ct26 Wed, 10 August 2005 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
doesn't the mysterious CT20B/CT26 have integral exhaust manifold/housing? ie ST215/245

the real CT20B was a very very limited race only item no?
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Highflowed CT20 VS Ct26 Wed, 10 August 2005 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 15:58

the real CT20B was a very very limited race only item no?

The guys at Precision turbochargers told me that I had a CT20b on mine, as it came off a Jap-spec ST205. Confused
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Highflowed CT20 VS Ct26 Wed, 10 August 2005 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

not the mysterious CT20B
LOL this mysterious thing has been covered in other posts.
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Highflowed CT20 VS Ct26 Wed, 10 August 2005 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bunkyT18 wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 19:28

Quote:

not the mysterious CT20B
LOL this mysterious thing has been covered in other posts.

I brought one of these turbos. Biggest waste of money ever. if you buy a stuffed up one nobody stocks rebuild kits for it. seals, shaft and everything was schorched. ended up going back to a ct26 steel wheel
The Untouchable
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Highflowed CT20 VS Ct26 Thu, 11 August 2005 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is there any way you can check if a turbo has been highflowed aside from ripping it apart or driving it and noting performance differences?

[Updated on: Thu, 11 August 2005 03:48]

MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Highflowed CT20 VS Ct26 Thu, 11 August 2005 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok all this talk of turbos, and no one has suggested something other then toyota, ct20 or ct26 there are in betweens some of which would work sensational i hate to sayit but if you can get your hands on a t28 from an s15 this would outperform most of the standard toyota turbos. for what you are after it will be less laggy, its not that big well not as big as the ct26 and it will provide boost until redline. if that is too costly then maybe a normal t28?????
The Untouchable
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Highflowed CT20 VS Ct26 Thu, 11 August 2005 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but do they bolt to the manifold with the ease of the ct26?
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Highflowed CT20 VS Ct26 Fri, 12 August 2005 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For a small turbo the CT20 is laggy for sure but if you are only chasing 200hp or so flywheel and you have a rebuilt turbo then may as well stay with it.

The single entry CT26 from the 7MGTE is almost a straight bolt on for the CT20. You just drill out the threaded stud holes and use bolts with nuts. This will give you more hp headroom and a vast array of potential upgrades. Suprisingly bugger all difference in lag. Boost comes on later but the greater flow at any particular boost levels means there's no drop in performance.

The twin entries aren't for you as they would require a custom manifold.

As for boost level, the stock internal 3TGT will take shitloads...20psi easy with an appropriate tune. The key, as with all turbo motors is tune, get it right and they will produce great hp in stock form...get it wrong and they go bang.
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Highflowed CT20 VS Ct26 Fri, 12 August 2005 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are CT26 from 7M in stock form really capable of running 25-30 psi ?
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Highflowed CT20 VS Ct26 Fri, 12 August 2005 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not efficiently, you would be way off the map at those boost levels. I have run the CT20B compressor wheel to 19psi to good effect so i suspect the Supra compressor would perform well up to 20psi. I have no data but very unlikely it would perform well at 25psi and no chance at 30psi...it would be overspeeding badly and producing a very hot intake charge.
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Highflowed CT20 VS Ct26 Fri, 12 August 2005 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
would it be effected at all with only a stock cooler ?
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Highflowed CT20 VS Ct26 Fri, 12 August 2005 03:49 Go to previous message
Are you asking does the cooler effect how much boost you can run? The answer is yes but other factors come into play as well. Basically, the more efficient the cooler is as a heat exchanger then the more boost you can run for the same temp intake charge when compared to a less eff cooler.

There is also the issue of flow eff to consider. The smaller the pressure drop across the core the less work the turbo has to do to supply the same flow level to the engine therefore the less heat you are generating.

replacing the stock IC with a more efficient flowing and cooler core will net you a substantial gain in hp and let you run more boost if the rest of the setup is up to it
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:FJ40 Questions.
Next Topic:4agze exhaust and inlet part numbers
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Jun 9 08:55:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0062849521636963 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.