Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » how do you know if the timing belt is on the way out

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
wannatoy
Regular

July 2002
how do you know if the timing belt is on the way out Tue, 28 January 2003 12:01 Go to next message
just got my AE82 Seca Twin Cam

it has done about 250K

service records are scant

how do i know if the timing belt is on the way out???

also, there is alot of oil under the car... seems the oil feed to the oil cooler is leaking... probably one thing amongst many leaks

what should I do?? spend the money and get the timing belt changed... get the oil leaks fixed or....... go the transplant... i.e 100KW or 4AGZE????

would prefer not to spend to much just now.

any comments would be appreciated
  Send a private message to this user    
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: how do you know if the timing belt is on the way out Tue, 28 January 2003 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For the effort & hassles a 100kW swap is not worth it in my opinion. If you're going to the trouble of a swap go a 20v at least, or for a bit more effort a ZE.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: how do you know if the timing belt is on the way out Tue, 28 January 2003 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rule of thumb with timing belts: if in doubt, change it. A new belt is a lot cheaper than a set of new valves...
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: how do you know if the timing belt is on the way out Tue, 28 January 2003 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought 4a and pretty much all newer engines were non-interferon or whatever you call it.. you know pistons will not hit the valves! Or am I just plain old wrong again?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: how do you know if the timing belt is on the way out Tue, 28 January 2003 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From memory all the Toyota engines with a timing belt as opposed to a timing chain are non-interefernce...so basically I'd assume they'd just run like crap (or not at all) if incorrectly installed.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: how do you know if the timing belt is on the way out Tue, 28 January 2003 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
norbie is on the money. spend a small amount of money now or a larger amount of money later on...
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: how do you know if the timing belt is on the way out Tue, 28 January 2003 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, Toyota engines are generally non-interference, but that's still no guarantee. For example, a bigger cam or a machined cylinder head can change all that! I know people who have bent valves on supposedly non-interference engines.
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: how do you know if the timing belt is on the way out Wed, 29 January 2003 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also, timing belts don't go "on the way out". They don't wear or give any sign before they snap.

They just go kaaaaaabooooooom and they are broken unlike other perishables.
haggis
Regular

May 2002
Re: how do you know if the timing belt is on the way out Wed, 29 January 2003 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If in doubt, change it!!

Last time i changed the timing belt on my 4A it was around $100 including parts. Well worth it seeing as changing an engine will cost way more, even if you do get it cheap.

Craig.
1jzmx83
Regular

October 2002
Re: how do you know if the timing belt is on the way out Wed, 29 January 2003 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Speedcore,

Interferon is a protein used for liver and cell deficiency treatment! (it is a protein produced by the body's cells when they are invaded by viruses) So I would imagine that Toyota motors are as you correctly said, "non-interferon". Laughing

Sorry to be a smart Ares! Very Happy
Everyone knew what you were talking about. Smile

Only jokes!
wannatoy
Regular

July 2002
Re: how do you know if the timing belt is on the way out Wed, 29 January 2003 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the advice

i have been quoted $300 for labour and parts of the timing belt

does this sound right?

and.... just wondering.... how much mileage have people been able to squeeze out of a 4age engine without a rebuild???

on the subject of the 4age....... what is the difference between the 100kw and 88kw (TVIS) engines.... how did they screw out another 12 kw???
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: how do you know if the timing belt is on the way out Wed, 29 January 2003 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wannatoy wrote on Wed, 29 January 2003 15:37

Buy a new belt and do it yourself... ya big girl!
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: how do you know if the timing belt is on the way out Wed, 29 January 2003 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1jzmx83 wrote on Wed, 29 January 2003 15:49

Interferon is a protein used for liver and cell deficiency treatment!

In vogue in the 70's, became hella uncool in the 80-90's, and now, interferons are cool again (Hep C, multiple sclerosis, various tumours).

Anyway back to the timing belt thing, do it yourself, you big girl's blouse. Razz The price quoted is fair though.

[Updated on: Wed, 29 January 2003 06:49]

rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: how do you know if the timing belt is on the way out Wed, 29 January 2003 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Wed, 29 January 2003 17:01

wannatoy wrote on Wed, 29 January 2003 15:37

Buy a new belt and do it yourself... ya big girl!

I changed (first time i have ever done it) mine for about $70-80 depends if you want any seals or not.
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: how do you know if the timing belt is on the way out Wed, 29 January 2003 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
repco do a timing belt kit, which is a timing belt, cam seal{s} and crank seal, i think they may even come with a tensioner too, it did for my mates 2SC
his was about 80 trade
tanman
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: how do you know if the timing belt is on the way out Wed, 29 January 2003 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes change the belt!!!

My pulsar ET is suppossed to have a "SAFE head" but due to excessive play in the exhaust valves I bent all four exhaust valves when the belt slipped.

[Updated on: Wed, 29 January 2003 11:47]

wannatoy
Regular

July 2002
Re: how do you know if the timing belt is on the way out Wed, 29 January 2003 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so you guys have all changed the belt of the 4age yourselves....

i was looking at the manual/handbook and it looks complicated

any pointers? how long should it take?

mmmm..... now where is my skirt??? Very Happy
wannatoy
Regular

July 2002
Re: how do you know if the timing belt is on the way out Wed, 29 January 2003 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh yeah... how would you rate in difficulty compared to changing oil..... or vs changing a gearbox??? Embarassed
rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: how do you know if the timing belt is on the way out Wed, 29 January 2003 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you have a Repair Manual??
I can prob scan the pages for you tomorow if you would like.
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: how do you know if the timing belt is on the way out Wed, 29 January 2003 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LMFAO!!! Dude I am a RN on a ward that mainly deals with livers, its a HPB ward "Hepato-Pancreo-Biliary" so maybe that is where I got confused with the wording..opps hehe Embarassed

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: how do you know if the timing belt is on the way out Wed, 29 January 2003 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wannatoy wrote on Wed, 29 January 2003 22:15

oh yeah... how would you rate in difficulty compared to changing oil..... or vs changing a gearbox??? Embarassed

A bit harder than changing the oil (ie you need to own a few basic tools and understand how to loosen a bolt), but nowhere near as complex as removing a gearbox. Timing belts are consumables, so they're designed to be replaced with relative ease.
wannatoy
Regular

July 2002
Re: how do you know if the timing belt is on the way out Thu, 30 January 2003 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, i have a manual which i bought from kmart... and it is crap... cause it tries to cover 1985 - 1994 corollas

i am planning to get my money back for it....

i was looking through the manual.... and it said you needed a crank puller tool... i have a basic tool set but not a crank puller or tension wrenches

working out the price of tools.. and then the parts associated with changing the belt... i might as well get it changed by the mechanic i know.... he used to work for Lander Toyota and he used to work on my old rolla at home but now he has a workshop in the industrial area of castle hill....

thanks for all you info and help... hope to meet some of u soon @ a cruise or meeting Smile
wannatoy
Regular

July 2002
Re: how do you know if the timing belt is on the way out Thu, 30 January 2003 12:42 Go to previous message
Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:koni adjustables
Next Topic:4agze engineers cert?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Jun 6 01:39:37 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054252147674561 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.