Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » RA28 and Corona struts (bigger brakes) - queries and questions!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

RA28 and Corona struts (bigger brakes) - queries and questions!! Wed, 29 January 2003 10:49 Go to next message
This is regarding the use of RT132 or XT130 struts with their associated stock brakes onto an RA28 using Koni (i think) shocks and lowered springs:

so let me get this right:
- if i put either the XT130 or RT132 struts into my RA28, i will get an offset 20mm smaller than with the stock RA28 setup? even if i leave the stock corona brakes on the strut?

- i already have simmons wheels for my stock setup RA28. Will these be able to fit onto the corona struts in the RA28? How do i find out the offset of my current wheels?

- is there a way i can use these struts and brakes and still use my simmons F90 wheels? since they are a 3 piece wheel, can i get the offset changed? if so how much?

- is there another setup i could possibly utilise? such as the RA60 or RA40 setup that has slightly bigger and better brakes than the stock RA28?

Sorry about the million and one questions, but i have some pruchasing to do.. .and im working to a budget to achieve my goals.
Thanks in advance for any help!

[Updated on: Wed, 29 January 2003 11:03]

Send a private message to this user    
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: RA28 and Corona struts (bigger brakes) - queries and questions!! Wed, 29 January 2003 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Witzl,
I'm using RT132 struts, in my RA28, with 16x7 F90's. I have chosen to go the Peugeot vented disc rotor though, but have had no problems with clearance other than tyre rub along the firewall on full lock, this however was more due to the fact I was running 225/50's (205/55's would have been a better selection). I used this strut type as they bolt up to your standard drag link, later model celica struts won't, so require more modification to fit if you decide to go this route.
Can't comment on your 20mm offset problem? Are you talking about wheel offset? To measure your wheel's offset either with the tyre on or off, lay the wheel flat on the ground and place a straight edge over the wheel face. Measure the distance from the ground to the straight edge and devide this distance by two to get the centre line distance - MAKE A NOTE OF THIS NUMBER!
Next, measure the distance from the back face of the wheel or tyre to the mounting surface of your rim - MAKE A NOTE OF THE SECOND NUMBER AS WELL!. Then simply subtract the first number from the second number and the remainder is your offset. Standard RA28 Celica wheels have a negative offset of 32mm, however you will probably find this to be less on your Simmons, especially if wider than the original fitment (alot of wheel offsets are more for ease of fitment than performance modification). My Simmons only run a negative offset of 5mm (I run 8's on the back with 245/45's too).
Remember, if the first number is less than the second number, you will have a negative offset, and vice versa, if the first number is more than the second number you will have a positive offset. Now this previous statement is bound to cause controversy, as different books describe it differently. I'll happily stand by my description based on the fact that front wheel drive cars use large negative offsets in their geometry setups, and this supports my description. You don't need to be a genius to post here however, so bring it on people!
You can have the offset of your wheels changed by Simmons for a negligable cost, but if they fit on your car now, I don't see the reasoon for doing this. Toquing the fastening bolts is best left to the factory, as changing the centres also involves a rather large o ring to seal the three pieces!
Clint!
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: RA28 and Corona struts (bigger brakes) - queries and questions!! Thu, 30 January 2003 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i seee..... well looking at my simmons, and adding 20mm outwards to where they sit now - they stick out from the guards a FAIR bit. These wheels came with the car when i bought it, and were obviously picked for the standard celica setup.

Now i just went down to Pick and Payless wreckers today, and have looked at multiple different setups from old toyotas. i have looked at the following strut/brake setups:
RA23 - stock
XT130 - 10.5" solid rotor, single piston
RT132 - same rotor as xt130, but twin opposed piston caliper
RA60 - single piston vented disc, ~ 240x25mm
GA61 - similar to ra60, caliper looks different (poss larger piston)
MX63 - similar to RA60, just looks in better condition

Now i liked the MX63 and GA61, cos they looked similar to the RA60, which im told is a straight fit! And the offset of these setups appears to be around 15-20mm smaller than the corona setups.
The MX63 looked to be only recently aquired, and the strut looked clean and some bits were new. So my question now lies as this: can i use the any of the MX63, GA61 or RA60 strut and brake setups? WIll these change the offset of the front by more than 10mm?

im going to go back down to the wreckers later this arvo after it gets BELOW 40 degrees.... so ill let u know what i find out! Will be taking pics too!
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA28 and Corona struts (bigger brakes) - queries and questions!! Thu, 30 January 2003 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Wed, 29 January 2003 20:49

- is there another setup i could possibly utilise? such as the RA60 or RA40 setup that has slightly bigger and better brakes than the stock RA28?

AFAIK the RA40 brakes are much the same as RA2x brakes, so there's no real point swapping them. The RA6x/MA6x brakes on the other hand are a very good upgrade - they have bigger ventilated discs with larger calipers. I have MA61 brakes on my RA23 struts and they work extremely well. The only modification required is a simple steel bracket to attach the caliper to the strut; apart from that they just bolt on. Details are on my web site.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA28 and Corona struts (bigger brakes) - queries and questions!! Thu, 30 January 2003 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Thu, 30 January 2003 11:36

So my question now lies as this: can i use the any of the MX63, GA61 or RA60 strut and brake setups? WIll these change the offset of the front by more than 10mm?

Yes you can (see post above). Offset will increase my 8mm, but my 205 tyres still fit in the guards without scraping.
http://www.norbie.net/Celica/BrakeMod17.jpg
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: RA28 and Corona struts (bigger brakes) - queries and questions!! Thu, 30 January 2003 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but can i use the whole strut from the *A60? i am useless with metalwork, and am trying to do this as cheap as possible. IE: been quoted $100 for the whole struts with brakes, calipers and rotors, and they appear in good condition!
8mm offset increase isnt that bad for me... although i do have a lowered celica running with what i think is koni shocks (havent done the sway yet to find out!)
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA28 and Corona struts (bigger brakes) - queries and questions!! Thu, 30 January 2003 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if u want a direct bolt in nothing to fabricate then the RT132 is the go

rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA28 and Corona struts (bigger brakes) - queries and questions!! Thu, 30 January 2003 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also if u are worried about your wheels, organise to go and see someones setup be-it standard RT132 (me), RT132 strut/peugeot disc/RT132 caliper (tinas RA28), or full hilux/peugeot (phil & darren)

EDIT: RA60 struts will not bolt in without a bucnh of camber problems

but norbs got around that by using ra23 strut with the ra60 brake and disc.

[Updated on: Thu, 30 January 2003 04:01]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: RA28 and Corona struts (bigger brakes) - queries and questions!! Thu, 30 January 2003 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The RA60 from brakes are 258x20mm with a single piston caliper. The brakes are the same as the fronts on MA61/GA61.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: RA28 and Corona struts (bigger brakes) - queries and questions!! Thu, 30 January 2003 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about the MX63?

i want to avoid the use of the RT132 setup now, because of the increased offset problem (add 20mm!!). However im going to look at putting the RA60 brakes on the corona strut and see how much less offset there is.
I will also be trying out the ENTIRE MX63 strut and brakes, unless someone in the next 3-5 mins tells me they have the same problem as the RA60.

I like Norbie's method, but i am useless with the metalwork (i cant do it!) and have a budget to consider with paying somone to make the brackets.
I like the Idea of $100 brake upgrades!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: RA28 and Corona struts (bigger brakes) - queries and questions!! Thu, 30 January 2003 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
About the MX63? Sorry, don't own one of those Razz
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA28 and Corona struts (bigger brakes) - queries and questions!! Thu, 30 January 2003 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you're looking for a serious brake upgrade for $100, I can't see it happening I'm afraid! If it was that easy, everyone would be doing it.

As mentioned above you can use the entire RA6x/MA6x strut (it's a direct bolt in) but it screws up the camber. There are workarounds for this, but I won't re-hash this topic again since it's been covered several times before. Do a search!
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA28 and Corona struts (bigger brakes) - queries and questions!! Thu, 30 January 2003 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a feeling you have been mis-informed about this offset problem

the XT130 struts might give u a 20mm offset problem but i have not encountered a offset problem that i know of with my RT132 swap, i run 215 rubber on 7 inch wide wheels and they sit the same under the wheel arch as they did before i did the swap, if i have time this weekend i will drag my RA40 struts out and measure it all again.

as i said suss out someone who has done the conversion that u want to do and try your wheels on their car..
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: RA28 and Corona struts (bigger brakes) - queries and questions!! Thu, 30 January 2003 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well when i looked through some of the previous threads about the use of RT132 and XT130 struts with their matching brakes, people had said that it pushed the offset around 20mm further out (or the wheel track, whatever the proper word is) on each side.... i dont want this cos measuring 20mm out from my wheel on the stock RA28 puts it around 10mm outside my guard (ie illegal)

When i was measuring and inspecting the rotors and calipers from the XT130 and RT132 coronas, i noticed that the rotor appeared identical, and in fact had the same measurement from the inside face of the rotor to the face that the wheel rests on (was around 80-85mm).. the only diference i noted was that the RT132 had the opposing twin piston caliper.
When i compared this 80-85mm measurement to a stock RA23, it measured around 55-60mm, and the GA60 measures 60mm.
Now i dont know if there is a difference in the strut in that it sits further inwards on the car, but from what i thought this would mean that using the whole RT132 strut and brake would push the wheels out a further 20mm.

But anyway, i picked up myself the 248x20mm ga60 rotors (same as ra60's that i found) and their matching caliper for $50. Im now considering whether to do the Norbie style thing or do a corona strut and use a pug rotor.... its all fun!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: RA28 and Corona struts (bigger brakes) - queries and questions!! Thu, 30 January 2003 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
258mm! Give them credit! Razz
celicamad85
Forums Junkie

Banned member

May 2002

Re: RA28 and Corona struts (bigger brakes) - queries and questions!! Thu, 30 January 2003 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wouldnt the norbie style upgrade be heaps quicker and cheaper ?...it is so damn easy
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: RA28 and Corona struts (bigger brakes) - queries and questions!! Thu, 30 January 2003 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So we've determined you are talking about track when you say offset right?!? If you use your standard RA28 lower control arm and drag link, with an RT132 strut, there will be no track change as both the RT132 and RA28 hub carriers are identical. They also both have a round pick up on the drag link union, wheras the later model Celica/Supra stuff has an oblong union (They also use a larger ball joint and taper so they are not easily interchanged). This is identical to my setup and I've had no problems with track changes. I feel this will be the easiest setup for you to bolt in, and yes it should cost you no more than $100 to achieve a 1/2" increase in rotor size and twin spot callipers, using this approach. You also have an easier platform to adopt a better brake rotor and calliper combination, at a later stage.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: RA28 and Corona struts (bigger brakes) - queries and questions!! Thu, 30 January 2003 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
er... jcmf - ALL the RA/MA/GA60 celica/supras that i measured had 248mm disc rotors i swear! ill go outside now and measure my newly aquired set now just to make sure!
anyway... im settled with the ventilated rotors and single piston caliper for now - my $50 has already been spent! Ill just find some dude to make me up a bracket, since i have no hope of doing it myself!

just for the sake of knowledge - this is what i measured from the cars i found at the wreckers:
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0PQDeAvgRkCGANWaerZdzuEYjzVi2X8XizLH*cRlD8VgN6SdilLgA4sGBHyFQ7ToTqq9puZl95zLKl1bTdOp9p*Kk!eZfLcwv/discs.JPG?dc=4675407555845174571
FOR RA60:
A=20mm
B=40mm
C=60mm
*note: this is same as was found on GA61, and looked the same as MX63 with rough measuring, see below:
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0PADcAjERlfIGiVFg0U*MMvtzMRXwzxdZCbcnYDOwH8WT2M5jgfU9vAC5feU9VVhE24LPTdjCXVt5bM!FPpWItNleg*V2uglM/GA61.jpg?dc=4675407556989667232
FOR RT132:
A= ~12mm
B= ~65mm
C= ~80mm
see below:
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0PQD8Ar4RnxNwY0YR5UvscObxnpnyll9!Ga76OGo!zdM!6qEq4!CivnMZv2jAZG4vHM76GRK5PXrh3QnEE4KTsO1bmSs3wjuj/rt132.jpg?dc=4675407557120806901
FOR RA28:
A= ~12mm
B= ~40-45mm
C= ~60mm

Now you are saying that this difference from RA23 to RT132 makes no changes to the wheel track... ok thats cool... but will that change how far out my wheels sit?
Im sorry im asking a ZILLION questions, but i am new to actually doing this stuff myself, and i am trying! Sad
As you can tell this is rather important for me to consider, as i dont want to waste my lovely simmons wheels!
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: RA28 and Corona struts (bigger brakes) - queries and questions!! Thu, 30 January 2003 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Witzl,
You can check by removing your RA28 hub and fitting the later model hub to your strut, they are the same bearing sizes. Then fit the wheel, this procedure will not affect the wheel position either in relation to body spacing
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA28 and Corona struts (bigger brakes) - queries and questions!! Thu, 30 January 2003 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just completed the 4 spots, peugot discs, corona strut conversion on my RA28 the other week.. Was no change at all in relation to where the wheels sit/offset etc.

Cheers
Joel
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: RA28 and Corona struts (bigger brakes) - queries and questions!! Fri, 31 January 2003 02:49 Go to previous message
wow... well if there is no change there.. then ill be going straight back out to pick and payless and grabbing those RT132 struts! I wonder then where these other guys got the idea that it pushed the wheels out??
http://www.toymods.org.au/msgboard/index.php?t=msg &th=9071&start=0&rid=883&S=4c444cf 80389dc0a637727f688ccd901

Anyway.. its back to the wreckers for me! And a BIG THANK YOU to all who have helped me here, has been a biiiig learning experience!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Fiberglass to steel body panels
Next Topic:W40 & W50 questions
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Jun 9 14:24:46 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.079331159591675 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.