Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Start a car when it's in gear ?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
stevenvandecauter
Occasional Poster

July 2003
Start a car when it's in gear ? Mon, 22 August 2005 12:06 Go to next message
Car: Celica TA23 1977

Clutch slave cylinder is defective, unable to switch gears.
My mechanic tells me it should be possible to start the car with the starter motor when it is IN GEAR, when the engine is turned warm in neutral first and so driving it to the garage in this one gear it started in (garage = +/- 50 meters away).

I know a car can 'hop' foreward that way for a bit, but I guess it will never START that way ?
What to think of this procedure ??
  Send a private message to this user    
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: Start a car when it's in gear ? Mon, 22 August 2005 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It will start, put it in first, turn the key and give it some throttle

Just be sure to judge conservatively when to turn the key off, you don't want to end up through a wall or something Laughing
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Start a car when it's in gear ? Mon, 22 August 2005 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why not get a few mates to push it up to speed first then try it?
pro_k
Regular

September 2003
Re: Start a car when it's in gear ? Mon, 22 August 2005 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Engage 2nd gear and crank the engine...It will start and keep going as you accelerate. You can change gears as well if you know how to...You wouldnt need to as your not going far Smile

To stop chuck it in neutral and press brake Laughing
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Start a car when it's in gear ? Mon, 22 August 2005 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why not just get ya mates to help push it into the garage if it's only ~50 meters away?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Start a car when it's in gear ? Mon, 22 August 2005 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes, it does work. when my clutch slave gave out on the way home, this was my only option.

put it in first and crank it over, you'll be away with a bity of throttle. change gears by rev matching. if you have to stop (at traffic lights like I did) put it in neutral, come to a stop, kill the engine. then when the lights go green, repeat Smile

can't imagine it is good for the starter, and I'm sure I lost some life from my gbox.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Start a car when it's in gear ? Mon, 22 August 2005 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on a KE1X corolla, not only can you start the car in gear up a hill, but if the engine is running you can also just push really hard on the gear lever and the syncros will S L O W L Y drag the car away from a standstill Razz

not recommended tho.....

as long as battery is in good nick it will start....1st gear, a bit of throttle.. and when you are close to where you have to go, yank it back out of gear....
DRFT - 86
Regular

February 2005
Re: Start a car when it's in gear ? Mon, 22 August 2005 13:26 Go to previous message
it will work.... had some fun in a secluded park with a shitbox camery once.... it was a mates dads shitter, anyways... another mate started her up in gear and let it free run when my mate who owned it(or rather his dad) wasnt paying attention, shat himself, fuck it was funny... watchen him chase after it...trying to stop it going into trees and shit...

(I do not condone this behaviour)

but was hella funny.... owhh shit the memories of that camery.... it got tortured on so many occasions Wink
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Crank Triggers - 4AG 100KW vs GZE
Next Topic:need info on ke35 4agte conversion
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Jun 5 23:23:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0040440559387207 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.