Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
MX73_drifter
Forums Junkie

October 2004

question on pistons Sun, 28 August 2005 09:00 Go to next message
hey guys i got 1 quik question about forged pistons.
say if u were to get 20thou oversized. how much bigger would that be in cm's than standard. also would u need to bore the block? and why are forgies so great i was told they eliminate piston knoc. any info would be appreciated

thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: question on pistons Sun, 28 August 2005 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
20 thou = 20/1000 inches. You can work the rest out...

Naturally a bigger piston will be wanting a bigger hole to go in. As for 'eliminating piston knock', presuming that someone means that lovely loose rattling sound when could, well no, forgies generally make this problem worse - they need too be fitted with more clearance, as they expand more with heat.
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: question on pistons Sun, 28 August 2005 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree with mrshin re piston knock. Forged pistons are tougher and can withstand detonation better than a cast item.

20 thou = close enough to 1/2mm (I have never met anyone who speaks in cm when talking ANYTHING engineering related).
MX73_drifter
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: question on pistons Sun, 28 August 2005 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for that
i was told that arias have a silicon conpound or some crap like that whick eliminates that but im probably wrong

thanks
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: question on pistons Mon, 29 August 2005 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do forged pistons usually come with a recommended clearance (between skirt and bore)?
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: question on pistons Mon, 29 August 2005 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes aftermarket pistons will come with a spec sheet that indicates the relevant bore measurements for skirt clearance.

Yes Arias do have a range of pistons with higher silicon content which makes them harder and reduces the thermal expansion rate. This means they can be run with less bore clearance when cold because they don't grow as much when hot. On the other hand "hard" is not really what you're looking for in a piston, it makes them more brittle and likely to crack.

Taking an 86mm bore as an example most forged pistons specify a 3.5 thou skirt clearance. My Arias pistons specified 2.5. All of the newer Arias pistons I have seen though specify 3.5 thou. They changed the design to be more like the other cheap forgies like JE etc.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: question on pistons Mon, 29 August 2005 02:35 Go to previous message
Yeah i have a set of JE pistons for my 3S-GTE but they came second hand with no spec sheet Sad Will have to email them to find out what clearance they recommend.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Acceptable Oil Temperatures
Next Topic:Full-face clutch [cf.] Puck clutch
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 30 06:54:53 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.12539005279541 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.