Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Acceptable Oil Temperatures Sun, 28 August 2005 11:46 Go to next message
I've got a an oil temp gauge plumbed in right after my oil cooler before the oil runs back into the engine.

If I'm driving around town off boost, I cant even get a reading on the gauge (ie. below 50C). If i'm idling at traffic lights for an extended period it might climb to 60-70C and I think the engine runs a bit smoother at this temp too! Though it could just be a placebo effect. As soon as the car starts moving again you can see the temperature dropping.

Using Penrite HPR15 and a full flow setup. Do not want to use a thermostat.

I'm sure the temp would get up to a higher level with an extended thrashing on boost, but I cant do that on the street. Though I intend to next month on the track.

Is this sort of temperature dangerous or causing unnecessary wear? (keep in mind the position of the sensor)

Can I make up for this by changing to a thinner oil?
  Send a private message to this user    
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Acceptable Oil Temperatures Sun, 28 August 2005 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is a bit cold - particularly if you were in a hell-of-a-hurry on a cold morning Wink

perhaps an adjustable sheild on the radiator (a handy bit of cardboard?) for around town and remove when at track?

am just curious as to why no thermostat?
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Acceptable Oil Temperatures Sun, 28 August 2005 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
id move the sensor and see what the temp is before the cooler, and maybe even remove the cooler if oil temp is acceptable before the cooler
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: Acceptable Oil Temperatures Sun, 28 August 2005 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on that note what is too high? is there too high? i have no cooler (although i think it runs a loop around the coolant outlet pipe) and am scared of having too hot oil.
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Acceptable Oil Temperatures Sun, 28 August 2005 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thechuckster wrote on Sun, 28 August 2005 21:55

perhaps an adjustable sheild on the radiator (a handy bit of cardboard?) for around town and remove when at track?

That sounds good! I'll bung something up and see how it goes.

The cooler is working, if you touch it after driving the car, the hot side is to hot to hold your finger on.

I guess I dont have any _real_ reason for not wanting a thermostat other than hearing a few horror stories that put me off them.

cheers
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Acceptable Oil Temperatures Sun, 28 August 2005 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you are mad not running a thermostat.horror stories would be few and far between.your damaging your engine driving it so cold.you might find that when you do give it a hard time without a thermostat,it may over heat in summer as there is no restriction to slow the water down.
mick
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Acceptable Oil Temperatures Sun, 28 August 2005 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Talking aboot oil.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Acceptable Oil Temperatures Mon, 29 August 2005 02:47 Go to previous message
lol only half read it!yep just cover it till temp comes up!
mick
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4age head swap: big port -> small port
Next Topic:question on pistons
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 30 08:30:11 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053198337554932 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.