Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

wiring up elec ignition Thu, 15 September 2005 07:39 Go to next message
i have put in my elec ignition into my corona, it was workign fine.

the auto elec says i will have to get it rewired, cause the wiring will be wrong ect ect

does anyone know what he's on about
  Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: wiring up elec ignition Thu, 15 September 2005 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wanna elaborate on that?
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: wiring up elec ignition Thu, 15 September 2005 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in what way, i have no idea what he means myself

all he said was, the elec system isnt good for an elec dizzy, it needs to be re-wired

earlyrolla
Regular

May 2003
Re: wiring up elec ignition Thu, 15 September 2005 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So what you are saying is...

The electronic ignition is from another car, while in that car it worked fine.

You have put the electronic ignition into a different car (Corona) but haven't yet tested it.

After talking with your Auto electrician, he/she has told you that you need to re-wire the Corona for the electronic ignition.

Is this correct?

Other than any wiring between the distributor and the ignition module (is the module integrated into the distributor?) and the wiring to the coil the only thing you need to do is pick up the positive feed from the exisiting ignition circuit. Obviously without the ballast resistor in series.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: wiring up elec ignition Thu, 15 September 2005 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yer from my experience the whoile car needs to be rewired cause the stress that the electronic ignition puts on the rest of the wiring

depends what elct ignition u have
but mainly just need to get rid of ballast resistor
but some setups are diferent

it should only take 20 mins if he knows what to do

Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: wiring up elec ignition Thu, 15 September 2005 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry for my lack of knowledge

ok

its the standard elec ignition from an RT142 22R corona {witzl can sat exactly what car its out of cause i bought it off him}

its running in the car, i thought it died on me cause the car stopped, so i had it tested and he said its fine, but a re-wire will be needed, is it some basic shit i could do, or should i get someone else to do it
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: wiring up elec ignition Thu, 15 September 2005 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
find another sparkie phil - your current one seems to have an error

compare old-style wiring diagram (one with points/ballast) and one with an igniter - work out what ign wire to power the coil and where to run the tacho signal to thengo crazy.

like sideshow said - 20 minute job
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: wiring up elec ignition Thu, 15 September 2005 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Even easier, just use a relay. You don't really want your old ignition switch in the way of your ignition anyway. You can do it yourself in 1 or 2 minutes then.
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: wiring up elec ignition Thu, 15 September 2005 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
btw, i'm pretty much a auto elec retard, much past a stereo or thermo fan and i'm done

help
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: wiring up elec ignition Thu, 15 September 2005 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this was basically my setup when i had the 18rg

i had the genuine 18rg electronic dizzy and ran a MX62 coil and igniter assist box.

i put 2 flat blade plugs on the wires coming ot of the dizzy and connected them to the 2 wires coming out of the igniter assist box.

was like; RED-->RED
WHITE-->BROWN
probly work either way though Confused

i hooked up the tacho wire to the -ve terminal on the coil and put the main +ive feed wire on the ballast resistor

Quote:

but mainly just need to get rid of ballast resistor
but some setups are diferent

with my setup, i was told that i could remove the resistor no probs, so i bridged it and went for a drive. coil got extremly hot so i just left the ballast resistor connected Confused

here a mock up autocad drawing. the igniter assist box in the pic doesnt have a +ve feed , but i think its s'posed to.

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/7668/wiring0cg.jpg
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: wiring up elec ignition Thu, 15 September 2005 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the "resistor" u show there, is that the ballast resistor
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: wiring up elec ignition Thu, 15 September 2005 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep

resitor = ballast resistor

(lazy Razz )
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: wiring up elec ignition Fri, 16 September 2005 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think he means the wiring guage isnt up to the current draw.

just like i cant run much more than 50w headlights coz the current draw would be too much for the std guage of wiring in the ra28.

i'd have to upgrade the wiring in that system to something thicker that could cope with the increased current draw.

how would one go about setting the timing say if i too did a 22r elec conversion on my 18rgu? Is it still just a case of twisting the dizzy?

and vac advance? is it adjustable on the 22r or is it locked but the same as 18rg?

Cheers

Nathan
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: wiring up elec ignition Fri, 16 September 2005 03:39 Go to previous message
all u'd do is put the guts of the elec dizzy, not the weights tho, into your 18RG dizzy

then all the advancing {mech and vac} wouldnt change
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Whats needed for Grp A Gt4 Bar.
Next Topic:Sprinter Diff Confusion
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Jun 3 20:53:49 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00531005859375 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.