Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Historic Q: first production MR car/turbo & twinturbo/sports awd

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Historic Q: first production MR car/turbo & twinturbo/sports awd Wed, 21 September 2005 02:35 Go to next message
Got some historic questions/trivia.
First production -
MR car?
Turbo?
Twinturbo?
Sports AWD?
Was there ever a production openwheeler?
  Send a private message to this user    
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Historic Q: first production MR car/turbo & twinturbo/sports awd Wed, 21 September 2005 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sports awd was the Jenson Intercepter.

Production MR would probably be a Ferrari of some sort as whilst others raced them they never made it into production.

Was there ever a production openwheeler?
Aerial Atom is kinda

cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Historic Q: first production MR car/turbo & twinturbo/sports awd Wed, 21 September 2005 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heaps of the first cars were open wheelers, as they were based on horse drawn vehicles. And these were the "production" vehicles of the time, even if production runs were limited to one or two a year.

I think the first Benz was MR as well.

Superchargers and turbochargers were developed for aircraft well before ww2, and found there way into production vehicles like Mercedes, Bently, etc not long after this.

[Updated on: Wed, 21 September 2005 02:46]

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Historic Q: first production MR car/turbo & twinturbo/sports awd Wed, 21 September 2005 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Indeed all the yea oldie alfas, bugatti's, mercs etc racers and sports cars were open wheelers.
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: Historic Q: first production MR car/turbo & twinturbo/sports awd Wed, 21 September 2005 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doh!!!!!
I totally forgot about the vintage cars being open wheelers...!
Thnx for the wakeup call.
And other info to google out of bordem hehe.
matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: Historic Q: first production MR car/turbo & twinturbo/sports awd Wed, 21 September 2005 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
First production MR car - the first tricycle Benz (circa 1886)aside, I think it was the Lamborghini Miura in 1966.

First production turbo - not really sure, I'm guesing the first Porsche 911 Turbo (aka 930) in 1975. Superchargers had been used in racing/performance cars since the 30's (Bentley, Alfa, Mercedes etc) but turbos didn't pop up until the 70's I think.

Twin Turbo - no idea! Probably the 911 again, when it went twin turbo.

Sports AWD - I agree that this would be the Jensen Interceptor as noted already.

These are just off the top of my head, so feel free to prove otherwise! Smile

Matt
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Historic Q: first production MR car/turbo & twinturbo/sports awd Wed, 21 September 2005 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
matt86sx wrote on Wed, 21 September 2005 13:20

First production MR car - the first tricycle Benz (circa 1886)aside, I think it was the Lamborghini Miura in 1966.

First production turbo - not really sure, I'm guesing the first Porsche 911 Turbo (aka 930) in 1975. Superchargers had been used in racing/performance cars since the 30's (Bentley, Alfa, Mercedes etc) but turbos didn't pop up until the 70's I think.

Twin Turbo - no idea! Probably the 911 again, when it went twin turbo.

Sports AWD - I agree that this would be the Jensen Interceptor as noted already.

These are just off the top of my head, so feel free to prove otherwise! Smile

Matt

Turbos were around well before the 911 turbo in the seventies so i would say one would of been put into a production car before then, i know porsche uses the twin turbos' on the 993 onwards i have know idea if they did befor that though, in terms of twin turbo it may well be an audi, the F40, 959 porshe, or a porsche 917 (if any road cars were produced). I have a feeling it's gonna be a lot earlier than these though.

[Updated on: Wed, 21 September 2005 03:25]

4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Historic Q: first production MR car/turbo & twinturbo/sports awd Wed, 21 September 2005 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think the original porche boxter was mr cant remember the name.. 988 or something...

The dino was ferrari's first production road car that was mr which i believe was in the early 60's

cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Historic Q: first production MR car/turbo & twinturbo/sports awd Wed, 21 September 2005 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
First supercharged production vehicle was Daimler in 1912
First Turbocharged production vehicle was some nondescript european brand of commercial vehicle running a turbo-diesel in 1938.

Both these charged induction designs were developed in the early 1900's (eg 1910) for aircraft to overcome performance losses at higher altitudes.

[Updated on: Wed, 21 September 2005 03:38]

Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Historic Q: first production MR car/turbo & twinturbo/sports awd Wed, 21 September 2005 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1st forced induction car was the betley blower.
i think the 1st turbo car was a bmw i'm not sure tho
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Historic Q: first production MR car/turbo & twinturbo/sports awd Wed, 21 September 2005 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Wed, 21 September 2005 13:36

i think the original porche boxter was mr cant remember the name.. 988 or something...

The dino was ferrari's first production road car that was mr which i believe was in the early 60's

There not classed as MR but Rear engined cars you'll find, maybe the 550 spyder but even then it's really close to rear than MR
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Historic Q: first production MR car/turbo & twinturbo/sports awd Wed, 21 September 2005 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Wed, 21 September 2005 13:38

4agte wrote on Wed, 21 September 2005 13:36

There not classed as MR but Rear engined cars you'll find, maybe the 550 spyder but even then it's really close to rear than MR

http://www.spyderclub.com/articles/spyder_history/ spyder_history.htm

click on the pictures looks like a mid engined setup to me Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Historic Q: first production MR car/turbo & twinturbo/sports awd Wed, 21 September 2005 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okally dokally then, well its probably the porsche 550 spyder. I was just trying to remember from Forza motorsport and an old book i have, hmmm maybe i should take a look at it cos if it was the first MR car it'd probably say. Very Happy

[Updated on: Wed, 21 September 2005 03:48]

cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Historic Q: first production MR car/turbo & twinturbo/sports awd Wed, 21 September 2005 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not a production car as such, but the first MR grand prix car was the Benz Tropfenwagen, in 1923, but the most famous MR vehicles would be the AutoUnions, running from about 28 to 36. PS, the AutoUnion's unique design was the work of a little known engineer called Ferdinand Porsche.
matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: Historic Q: first production MR car/turbo & twinturbo/sports awd Wed, 21 September 2005 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wikipedia lists the following as the answers:

MR - Zundapp Janus (a microcar built in 1957-58). Next is the Lamborghini Miura and Lotus Europa (both 1966)
Turbo - 1962 Oldsmobile Cutlass F-85 Turbo Jetfire
AWD - 1966 Jensen FF

It doesn't list the first twin turbo though, so hopefully someone has the answer. Note that this relates to production cars only.

Here's the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_automotive_su perlatives

[Updated on: Wed, 21 September 2005 04:17]

cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Historic Q: first production MR car/turbo & twinturbo/sports awd Wed, 21 September 2005 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
matt86sx wrote on Wed, 21 September 2005 14:13

Turbo - 1962 Oldsmobile Cutlass F-85 Turbo Jetfire and Chevrolet corvair Monza. Hard to say which was first as both are GM so they both came from the same drawing board

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Historic Q: first production MR car/turbo & twinturbo/sports awd Wed, 21 September 2005 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well according to the other site the porsche was built from 53 for lemans and i'm pretty sure they made it to the road as well. I don't know.
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Historic Q: first production MR car/turbo & twinturbo/sports awd Wed, 21 September 2005 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They did make it to the road, in fairly limited numbers, but Im not sure if they qualified as a production vehicle Rolling Eyes Confused .
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Historic Q: first production MR car/turbo & twinturbo/sports awd Wed, 21 September 2005 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heres another one for you stupiest car of all time, Oldsmobile tornado came with a 350 or 400 cubic inch V8 chain driving the front wheels. Shocked
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Historic Q: first production MR car/turbo & twinturbo/sports awd Wed, 21 September 2005 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If your talking insane, have a look at some of the land speed racers of about the 1920's-30's. Running HUGE torquey engines through pissy side mount chain drives into solid 3-4" wide tyres, side exit exhaust, with NO seatbelt, and a leather helmet. Steering wheel about 20" in diameter. Those were the days!!
http://www.channel4.com/science/microsites/S/speedmachines/images/i_landspeed3.jpg

[Updated on: Wed, 21 September 2005 04:33]

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Historic Q: first production MR car/turbo & twinturbo/sports awd Wed, 21 September 2005 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile_Toronado
toronado sorry, yes they are nutty cannonball but they weren't mass produced by GM for consumption by families, it was actually a 425ci V8 ie 7L only had 287kw can anyone say torque steer. Laughing
SEXY 16
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Historic Q: first production MR car/turbo & twinturbo/sports awd Wed, 21 September 2005 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the audi quattro ur started the 4wd turbo revolution back in 1980 bit of topic i know Razz
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Re: Historic Q: first production MR car/turbo & twinturbo/sports awd Wed, 21 September 2005 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first twinturbo..
that would be interesting to know
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Historic Q: first production MR car/turbo & twinturbo/sports awd Thu, 22 September 2005 18:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cannonball wrote on Wed, 21 September 2005 14:30

If your talking insane, have a look at some of the land speed racers of about the 1920's-30's. Running HUGE torquey engines through pissy side mount chain drives into solid 3-4" wide tyres, side exit exhaust, with NO seatbelt, and a leather helmet. Steering wheel about 20" in diameter. Those were the days!!
http://www.channel4.com/science/microsites/S/speedmachines/images/i_landspeed3.jpg

that car looks faster in reverse aerodynamically speaking Shocked
h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Historic Q: first production MR car/turbo & twinturbo/sports awd Fri, 23 September 2005 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Wed, 21 September 2005 14:41

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile_Toronado
toronado sorry, yes they are nutty cannonball but they weren't mass produced by GM for consumption by families, it was actually a 425ci V8 ie 7L only had 287kw can anyone say torque steer. Laughing

i got a book on old muscle cars! i remember reading fwd with a north south motor n im like wtf! some kind of weird transfer case or something but it was chain drive! purely because they couldnt fit the diff in the frount setup. engine would sit too high other wise they wouldve had to make the chassis longer to make it fit.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Historic Q: first production MR car/turbo & twinturbo/sports awd Fri, 23 September 2005 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its fucking rediculous that the thing ever made it to production. It seriously has to be the biggest feat of america "engineering ever", so we have this ere 425ci V8, what do you think we should do with it cleetus. I know we'll make ourselves a FWD chain driven tank and sell it to unsuspecting americans.
My dads pulsar SSS gets toruqe of the line in the wet driving normally i couldn't imagine what something like that would do.
spirokeet
Regular

July 2004
Re: Historic Q: first production MR car/turbo & twinturbo/sports awd Fri, 23 September 2005 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn, I always thought the BMW 2002 Turbo was the first production turbocharged car.
Was the 89 Mazda Cosmo the first twin turbo (non diesel) production car?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Historic Q: first production MR car/turbo & twinturbo/sports awd Fri, 23 September 2005 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spirokeet wrote on Fri, 23 September 2005 11:29

Damn, I always thought the BMW 2002 Turbo was the first production turbocharged car.
Was the 89 Mazda Cosmo the first twin turbo (non diesel) production car?

The Ferrari F40 and Porsche 959 were released befor that date so i'd say no. hang on first twin turbo wouldn't be the 288 GTO would it was it twin turbo Wink
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.php?file=car. php&carnum=169
launched in 1984 with two IHI turbos.

[Updated on: Fri, 23 September 2005 01:37]

spirokeet
Regular

July 2004
Re: Historic Q: first production MR car/turbo & twinturbo/sports awd Fri, 23 September 2005 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Of course! Thanks 'rona, should've known that one..
You ever see that beast of a prototype Ferrari made for the F40 out of a 288 GTO? I think they planned to use it for rallying, but I'm not sure as it's 3am and past my bedtime
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Historic Q: first production MR car/turbo & twinturbo/sports awd Fri, 23 September 2005 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
h3ff44 wrote on Fri, 23 September 2005 11:00

i got a book on old muscle cars! i remember reading fwd with a north south motor n im like wtf!

actually alot of cars run in a n/s fwd configuration audi uses it in a few car the A4 is one that comes to mind
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Historic Q: first production MR car/turbo & twinturbo/sports awd Fri, 23 September 2005 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Fri, 23 September 2005 13:45

i got a book on old muscle cars! i remember reading fwd with a north south motor n im like wtf!

actually alot of cars run in a n/s fwd configuration audi uses it in a few car the A4 is one that comes to mind

Yep the audi's do including pre A type cars ie 100, 80 etc, some of the old saabs as well.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Historic Q: first production MR car/turbo & twinturbo/sports awd Fri, 23 September 2005 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Fri, 23 September 2005 13:45

I think the Honda Legend ran a Longitudinal engine that only drove the front wheels. :S
superaw11
Regular

September 2002
Re: Historic Q: first production MR car/turbo & twinturbo/sports awd Fri, 23 September 2005 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Behold the Zundapp Janus ! First production MR car.
Phwoooaaarrr now thats horny Laughing

http://www.microcarmuseum.com/tour/zundapp-janus.h tml

4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Historic Q: first production MR car/turbo & twinturbo/sports awd Fri, 23 September 2005 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
did you say engine....

Displacement: 248 cc

i think my lawnmower has more cubes Laughing Laughing
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Historic Q: first production MR car/turbo & twinturbo/sports awd Fri, 23 September 2005 07:30 Go to previous message
superaw11 wrote on Fri, 23 September 2005 15:30

Behold the Zundapp Janus ! First production MR car.
Phwoooaaarrr now thats horny Laughing

http://www.microcarmuseum.com/tour/zundapp-janus.h tml

The Porsche 550 spyder still predates that and the fact that some made it to the road thus would kinda make it a production car.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Just thought I would share...warning...you will get a boner...
Next Topic:Imacc TE71
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 31 22:09:59 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0072269439697266 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.