Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » How to get off a steering arm? help!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
negative boost
Regular

October 2004
icon4.gif  How to get off a steering arm? help! Thu, 29 September 2005 09:31 Go to next message
Hey guys, i went to my local wreckers today to get some struts and steering arms. They told me that'd take about 3 hours. So 3 hours pass and they give me a call and say they've got the struts off but can't get the steering arms off and they spent an hour trying. The guy thinks they've been pressed on.

Its the joint that connects the steering arm to the steering rack NOT the ball joint on the control arm. So anyone have any tips to getting it off becuase i really want these steering arms. And dont want to have to buy the whole steering rack.

Suppose i should also let you know its an RA65.

Cheers

[Updated on: Thu, 29 September 2005 09:33]

Send a private message to this user    
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: How to get off a steering arm? help! Thu, 29 September 2005 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hammer. works every time. you hammer the steering arm from the side rather than try and hammer the tierod downwards.
negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Re: How to get off a steering arm? help! Thu, 29 September 2005 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah okay, that figures. I suppose its also easier to do when the steering arm is still connected to the ball joint in the control arm too. I'll have a bash at it tommorow and fingers crossed it'll come free. Thanks
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: How to get off a steering arm? help! Thu, 29 September 2005 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes definately easier when the rest is connected. failing that there is a ball joint splitter tool that might work, looks like a two pronged fork.
jeffro RA28
Regular

August 2004
Re: How to get off a steering arm? help! Thu, 29 September 2005 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
something very similar to a harmonic balancer puller will do it. Sometimes u can apply pressure with the puller then hit it with the hammer and the shock and pressure will release it. On my ra28 it took a dam lot! It made a uber loud bang when it finally cracked aswell.
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: How to get off a steering arm? help! Thu, 29 September 2005 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup... big, bad ass hammer does the trick everytime. You need to give it a GOOD whack though. I think that fork thingy is called a Pitman Arm Puller? Good for roasting marshmellows too Wink
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: How to get off a steering arm? help! Thu, 29 September 2005 14:15 Go to previous message
If its off a car then brace behind the arm with something heavy (eg sledgehammer) and smash the front of it with a hammer (or sledgehammer).

Hen
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:WANTED! 4AGZE ignition map
Next Topic:1ggte plenum
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 26 14:35:41 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.034137010574341 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.