Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Who has done this mod? What sort of results?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
tafebum
Regular

December 2002
Who has done this mod? What sort of results? Wed, 12 February 2003 21:48 Go to next message
This is my proposed endine mod for my sprinter:
4AG head (probably 4age)
My current 4AC bottom end
Twin solex carby's

Has anyone done something like this, I was just woundering what to expect.
  Send a private message to this user    
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Who has done this mod? What sort of results? Thu, 13 February 2003 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
At a guess, lots of hassle, not as big a performance inscrease as you may expect, and probably not the best reliability...

You may be better off just doing a full 4AGE swap...
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Who has done this mod? What sort of results? Thu, 13 February 2003 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You wont/shouldnt use a C bottom end with a G head for the following reasons...

1. the C crank is no where near as finely balanced to suit the G's higher RPM

2. The C pistons dont have the exhaust fly cuts to suit the G head

3. the C oil pump is barely adequate for the big port but not the small port in my opinion but on top of that...

4. the C block doesent have oil squirters to cool the pistons and rods, this is also a problem relating back to the oil pump pressures with squirters as well

probly some other minors i cant think of right now
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Who has done this mod? What sort of results? Thu, 13 February 2003 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alright, there were more problems than i thought.

Then maybe you could just find a cheap 4AGE and run the Carbs for simplicity...
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Who has done this mod? What sort of results? Thu, 13 February 2003 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you forgot a couple of things...lo presure lift pump on the tank to fuel the carbs (no mech fuel pump on 4AGE) and need an old style dizzy too as the 4AGE needs the ECU...

what mikuni solex carbs? from 2TG?

tafebum
Regular

December 2002
Re: Who has done this mod? What sort of results? Thu, 13 February 2003 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Already have a dizzy to suit laying around somewhere, and i know about the lo fuel pressure, was gonna use solex carby's off 2TG But after reading the above posts ill probably conmsider some other options.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Who has done this mod? What sort of results? Thu, 13 February 2003 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whatever you do, don't use crappy old Solex's. If you really must take the backwards step of installing carbs on an EFI engine, use Webers. It's much easier to source parts from Webers (jets etc) plus there are a lot more people around who know how to tune them properly. Try finding a rebuild kit for a Solex!
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Who has done this mod? What sort of results? Thu, 13 February 2003 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry but thats it! Im sick and tired of the bullshit about not being able to get bits for solex's!!! all you guys who bag them out obviously dont play with carbs or do much research...TRD considered the Solex beter than any Weber or Delorto in thier time frame..not only that once tuned ( and admitedly they are a little harder than a weber ) they will stay in tune much longer than a Weber or any others for that matter...as for parts there are a number of places that you can source parts from....theres a good shop on Parramatta road that has all the kits out back....most motorbike shops are a good source for jets (remeber solex made squllions of carbs for Suzuki and Honda over the years and the jets are the same )

Personally Webers are way overpriced for what they are and I got sick of continaully tuning them on my mates 128 fiat, the solex sits in the celica for 100,000 Kms with just a regular service needed every 500Kms..you tell me which one is better
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Who has done this mod? What sort of results? Thu, 13 February 2003 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey, take it easy there... anyone would think we were persecuting your religion or something!

Fact: Solex parts are harder to get than Weber parts. I once owned a 2T-G and later an 18R-GU, and finding parts for the Solex's in both cases was difficult (but not impossible). Weber parts on the other hand I could find practically anywhere.

Secondly, it's worth remembering that a Solex taken off a 2T-G is 25+ years old, so basically it's past its reliable service life. This is part of the reason why a Weber is a better option - there are relatively new ones floating around, and you can buy them brand new if you choose (definitely the preferred option).
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who has done this mod? What sort of results? Thu, 13 February 2003 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do yourself a favour - pay the bit extra and get an engine with a loom + ECU - its a lot easier to sort it all out in the end, oh, and it works better too Evil or Very Mad

and when you say 'probably 4age' - what other kind of 4ag head were you gonna get Very Happy
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who has done this mod? What sort of results? Thu, 13 February 2003 22:10 Go to previous message
look here:
http://www.racingstrong.com/aw11/KrylonSpeciallite .asp

i know it's a mr2, but it has carbies.. ages ago it was producing 190hp. but has since had more things done, he wont let us know what yet.... Laughing
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:18RG displaced to 2.4L
Next Topic:GZE fuel pressure VSV function??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Jun 3 13:40:33 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046122074127197 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.