Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Southo
Regular

I supported Toymods

August 2002
2JZ-GTE into MX83 Cressida - any info/assistance Thu, 13 February 2003 02:21 Go to next message
Hey guys,

I have finally found the donor car I wanted for the conversion - in the colour I wanted, the condition I wanted and for the price I wanted - www.pbase.com/driftking/cressida

Now the next steps...

I have the Suspension pretty much sussed out thru East Coast Suspension, and have been thinking about the brake upgrade required - been given a few suggestions - but nothing really concrete as yet.

As for the Donor front cut....

what am I best looking for ???
bearing in mind I want it to remain an auto and run the factory computer for initial cost savings and engineering ease etc.
Can anyone suggest anywhere that they know are GOOD to deal with ? - I just called about 5 or 6 places asking about front cuts/engine/trans etc, only to be told - nope, sorry, can't help and when I ask - OK, can I "order one" they are just not interested ? what gives. ??

Any suggestions/comments and advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks heaps
Jason

Send a private message to this user    
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2JZ-GTE into MX83 Cressida - any info/assistance Thu, 13 February 2003 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice car mate...I have a silver GLX into which we put a 1UZ...I paid $5000 for mine (from a dealer, with a stuffed HG on the 7M) as I couldn't find a Grande anywhere for less than $10,000. So, I'd suggest that you've done well!

As for 2JZs...I probably can't help. You may have better luck doing a direct swap from a 1JZ-powered Chaser to your car, as 1 or 2 of the blokes on here have done.

Good luck.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2JZ-GTE into MX83 Cressida - any info/assistance Thu, 13 February 2003 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Southo,

Your best bet is to look for an Aristo front cut if you don't mind staying auto. Supra front cuts are hard to come by and bloody expensive, and the importers you spoke to probably assumed you were after one of them. Aristos have the same engine but tend to be a lot cheaper.

Note that the JZA80 Supra (MkIV) is the only car that came with a 2JZ-GTE and a manual transmission from the factory. A TT Supra 6-speed front cut sure won't be cheap, but if you want a manual that's your most practical solution.

I bought my Aristo cut from Asian Auto Spares in Slacks Creek Qld. Give them a try if you haven't already. The engine I got appears to be in excellent condition, although I haven't driven it yet. (Soon!) At least it starts without making any bottom-end banging noises, unlike poor old Nick with his 1JZ...
frebbles
Regular

May 2002

Re: 2JZ-GTE into MX83 Cressida - any info/assistance Thu, 13 February 2003 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A 1j is easier to swap, but you already know that, probably the best way to do it is get a front sump and use chaser mounts(crossmember etc), having said that though these parts are a pain in the ass to come by.

I went through Toy shop in newcastle and they were good, minus a few bits missing from the halfcut, it runs well.
Southo
Regular

I supported Toymods

August 2002
Re: 2JZ-GTE into MX83 Cressida - any info/assistance Thu, 13 February 2003 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Awesome - thanks for the tips

Looks like *EVERY* importer in the country that's listed in the the Yellow pages will get a call from me tomorrow.

What Year Model Aristo and Chasers should I be looking for ?

[Updated on: Thu, 13 February 2003 06:36]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2JZ-GTE into MX83 Cressida - any info/assistance Thu, 13 February 2003 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you're doing a 1JZ swap, the ideal model to get is the JZX81 Chaser which is the same vintage as your MX83 Cressida... early 90's I think? As for the Aristo, mine is the JZS147 which I think is 93+. It's the previous generation Aristo; note that the current generation is sold in this country as the Lexus GS300 (non-turbo though).
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2JZ-GTE into MX83 Cressida - any info/assistance Thu, 13 February 2003 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
94 onwards Aristo.
Southo
Regular

I supported Toymods

August 2002
Re: 2JZ-GTE into MX83 Cressida - any info/assistance Fri, 14 February 2003 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Norbie/gianttomato,

I definitly want to go with the 2JZ-GTE idea. I know it will be a bit harder and cost a bit more - but the end result will (fingers crossed) make it much more worthwhile.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 2JZ-GTE into MX83 Cressida - any info/assistance Fri, 14 February 2003 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And talk to Dabbid on the forums about custom crossmembers if he still has any left Shocked
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2JZ-GTE into MX83 Cressida - any info/assistance Fri, 14 February 2003 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
He has custom crossmembers for MA61 Supras as I understand it, so I dunno how that's going to help with an MX83 Cressida conversion?
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 2JZ-GTE into MX83 Cressida - any info/assistance Fri, 14 February 2003 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats a very valid point...doh! Embarassed
Southo
Regular

I supported Toymods

August 2002
Re: 2JZ-GTE into MX83 Cressida - any info/assistance Fri, 14 February 2003 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haa haa, no worries,
I must say the most helpful people in sourcing a front cut have been supporters/sponsors of the Toymods club. So here is a free plug and big thank-you to Andrew at Central Victorian Auto Parts.

I have called about 25-30 places and Andrew from CVAP was the ONLY one who offered to at least call and check what is available and even though these are pretty rare he is told by his japanese supplier, he should have an answer back to me either Monday or Tuesday.

The price on the other hand - well, Norbie, - looks like you got yourself a BARGAIN - but, if I wanna do a 2JZ, I gotta pay the price I guess....

Another free plug to Narrabeen Brake and Clutch (another Toymods supporter) - They will be doing my brake upgrade for me after chatting to Phil on the phone today. (He even suggested ways to save about $200 in the process, rather than ripping me off)

I've got the insurance sorted (about $400 more than it costs me for a standard car)

Next up... Wheels - I now discovered I need 17" rims to make the new brakes fit - Dammit - there goes the Sleeper look Sad

Thanks for the assistance again guys - MUCH APPRECIATED - I'll let you know how I go..

*edit* - I'll even be throwing $20 towards the donations tin for these forums and the help they have provided me - thanks guys

[Updated on: Fri, 14 February 2003 04:34]

Southo
Regular

I supported Toymods

August 2002
Re: 2JZ-GTE into MX83 Cressida - any info/assistance Fri, 14 February 2003 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another quick question....

Is a US spec Aristo Front cut going to cause me drama compared to the Jap spec one ?

The reason ask is that I may have found a US spec 2001 Aristo 2JZ-GTE VVTi-L front cut,loom, computer and 5 speed Sports shift Auto.

Its a lot more than I Budgeted for, but it is the VVTi-L and 5 speed Sports shift Auto... will it work, or do the yank versions have their hoses and wires all back to front etc.

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2JZ-GTE into MX83 Cressida - any info/assistance Sat, 15 February 2003 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
US-spec Aristo? In the US they're sold as a GS300, and they have a 2JZ-GE (ie non-turbo). Methinks you've got your wires crossed somewhere!

If you can get your hands on a 2001 2JZ-GTE that would be extra good as it has VVTi. I expect it will cost an arse-load of maney though.

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2JZ-GTE into MX83 Cressida - any info/assistance Sat, 15 February 2003 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As a guide Rollins Auto in Queensland had a 2JZGTE VVTi, 6 speed box, loom and ECU. It was recently sold for around 7K (a bargain). Have seen halfcuts advertised for ludicrous prices like 14K.
"Tell him he's dreamin'!" Rolling Eyes
Southo
Regular

I supported Toymods

August 2002
Re: 2JZ-GTE into MX83 Cressida - any info/assistance Sun, 16 February 2003 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks again Norbie and gianttomato.

Yes, beleive it or not, I have found a couple of Manual halfcuts, but no Autos Sad

OK, I am now offiocially confuzzeled ...
was there a US Tubo model at all ?

The US Spec one I was told by the dealer/importer/wrecker had bigger injectors, roller bearing turbos and a couple of other slight differences that gave it 310hp as compared to 280 for the Jap Spec... He also mentioned that it was a VVTi-L as opposed to "just" VVTi - The L being an infinitely variable cam timing set up, and (currently) not being supported or able to be run using an aftermarket ECU - only factory ( which personally doesn't concern me as I want to run Factory ECU anyway). He did say the other "standard" VVTi ones are compatible with MOtec and Autronic etc.

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2JZ-GTE into MX83 Cressida - any info/assistance Mon, 17 February 2003 00:45 Go to previous message
There are US-spec 2JZ-GTE's, and they do have more power than the Jap-spec ones (bigger turbos and injectors), but they come out of Supras. I've never heard of importers bringing Toyota engines in from the US, but I guess it's possible! It would have to cost a shiteload though, because Supras are still worth a fair bit of money in the US.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1g-gte versions
Next Topic:puff of smoke on start up
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 29 14:03:06 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.072000980377197 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.