Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » RA60 Kaaz 2way diff question.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
bbdond
Regular

April 2004
RA60 Kaaz 2way diff question. Mon, 17 October 2005 01:15 Go to next message
I recently was fortunate enough to get in on the Kaaz 2 way group buy which is now in my RA60 and doing a farking good job. The major problem I am having is that I am smashing the pinion in the diff more often then I have to do an oil change. I have gone through 3 pinions in 4 months and I was wondering if there was anything I could do. The car dosnt get driven to hard, just that the pinion seems like the weakest link.

If anyone has any good ideas or can suggest to me an idea plz let me know. On the other hand if any one with a kaaz from the recent group buy has a similar problem, let me know what u have done to fix it.

Cheers boys
Ryan
  Send a private message to this user    
chrisellis
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: RA60 Kaaz 2way diff question. Mon, 17 October 2005 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
an expencive option, but im sure it will be up to the task, is buying a techno pro spirit crown and pinion, these sell for around $600 and u can get them in heaps of different ratio's. i thnk trd also make a couple, but are twice as expencive.

Chris
bbdond
Regular

April 2004
Re: RA60 Kaaz 2way diff question. Mon, 17 October 2005 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
where abouts can u get these from mate, cuz if they wil do the job 600 seems to be a fair price. cheers
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA60 Kaaz 2way diff question. Mon, 17 October 2005 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Going by your sig you have a modified 1G-GTE in your RA60. A T series diff is never going to last long with that sort of power no matter what you do; it's simply too small and weak. Either upgrade to something bigger (eg F series) or get used to swapping diffs.
chrisellis
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: RA60 Kaaz 2way diff question. Mon, 17 October 2005 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.greenline.jp/catalogue/bccatpartlist.ph p?make=Toyota&carcode=AE86&intake=NA&c ategory=drivetrain

for a t series diff, ra60's do have a t-series yeah?
yrhkira
Regular

June 2005
Re: RA60 Kaaz 2way diff question. Mon, 17 October 2005 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ryan,

If you will be needing to upgrade to a bigger diff, I have need for an LSD for the T series diff as it will be fine behind my NA 3S-G when I finish the car.

I have e-mailed several Australian suppliers/Importers of these diffs but their responses are lacking and I need to buy soon.

Chris,

Does the $600 for ring and pinion include shipping from Japan?

Regards

Rodger
bbdond
Regular

April 2004
Re: RA60 Kaaz 2way diff question. Mon, 17 October 2005 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah its a t series diff, hmmmmmm, well ill c waht i can do. Will look in to getting a stronger crown and pinion though.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA60 Kaaz 2way diff question. Mon, 17 October 2005 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The only way to significantly increase the strength of the C&P is to make it larger. The T series diff has a 6.7" C&P, so no matter what you do it will be small and pissweak.

I know you probably don't want to sell the T series LSD centre you just bought, but there's no point throwing good money after bad.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: RA60 Kaaz 2way diff question. Mon, 17 October 2005 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbdond wrote on Mon, 17 October 2005 11:15

The car dosnt get driven to hard, just that the pinion seems like the weakest link.

If anyone has any good ideas or can suggest to me an idea plz let me know. On the other hand if any one with a kaaz from the recent group buy has a similar problem, let me know what u have done to fix it.

if the car is not being driven hard, then it sounds like the pinion and crown are not set up properly to begin with..

it is also entirely possible that the crown wheel is not "true" on the LSD carrier, and so it's putting remarkable forces and wear on the poor pinion (which will probably fail before the crownwheel)

are you just swapping in pinions? or swapping pinion and crown as a set?

they need to be kept as a finely matched set if possible, or slowly and carefully run in, or they will die...

first things first, check the runout of the crownwheel on the LSD carrier.. my bet is that it is not running true... or that the pinions position is incorrect
chrisellis
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: RA60 Kaaz 2way diff question. Mon, 17 October 2005 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Mon, 17 October 2005 14:35

The only way to significantly increase the strength of the C&P is to make it larger. The T series diff has a 6.7" C&P, so no matter what you do it will be small and pissweak.

i beg to differ on this point, for starters, from what ive seen of t series crown and pinion gears, they look like mild steel. 20 years old at that. If the techno pro spirit ones are made from stainless steel, or hardened steel of some sort, they will be 2 or more times stronger than standard, that said i have no idea what there made from, but i certinally dont think that bigger is the only way to significantly increase strength. Just need the use of better materials. However - the next problem knowing u are running a kaaz (strong diff) is the t-18 axles, there matchsticks.

edit: Rodger, yeah it will be $600 or less, for a 4.5:1 = $411 + shipping, so more like $500 to your door. 4.3:1 = $500 + shipping, so around $600 to your door, only a guess, email greenline if u want real prices.

Chris

[Updated on: Mon, 17 October 2005 12:51]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: RA60 Kaaz 2way diff question. Mon, 17 October 2005 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisellis wrote on Mon, 17 October 2005 22:35

i beg to differ on this point, for starters, from what ive seen of t series crown and pinion gears, they look like mild steel. 20 years old at that. If the techno pro spirit ones are made from stainless steel, or hardened steel of some sort, they will be 2 or more times stronger than standard, that said i have no idea what there made from

oh dear.. we didn't think that thru did we Wink

stainless steel?? Laughing

all diff and pinion gears are made from (roughly) medium to high carbon, heat treated steel. stainless steel can be very soft, and doesn't respond in the same way to heat treatment as steel which does not have significant amounts of chromium or nickel.. indeed stainless steel usually has low amounts of carbon due to the chromium content....

i beg to differ with you. i do not think these aftermaket gears have significantly greater strength or wear properties. that said, advances in metallurgy in the last 20 years may have filtered down to gears, but they are not exactly a high tech item Razz so if they are better, it is only slightly.

it is highly likely they are made by the same factory as OEM parts anyway Razz. the main benefit is that they are new, have not been shockloaded yet, and you get to wear them in properly.

chrisellis wrote on Mon, 17 October 2005 22:35

but i certinally dont think that bigger is the only way to significantly increase strength. Just need the use of better materials. However - the next problem knowing u are running a kaaz (strong diff) is the t-18 axles, there matchsticks.

edit: Rodger, yeah it will be $600 or less, for a 4.5:1 = $411 + shipping, so more like $500 to your door. 4.3:1 = $500 + shipping, so around $600 to your door, only a guess, email greenline if u want real prices.

Chris

hmm, T18 axles are not that small, but with a 2 way diff that acts almost like a locker on both accel and decel... either the tyres slip, the LSD slips... or the axles break,.. choose 1.

given that materials of most available parts are of similar quality, bigger certainly is better, particularly with crown and pinion gears, spider gears, axles, etc... small things, which with a small increase in size, result in a much stronger part.

price for posting gears (that i sent from japan recently) was around $125 for airmail. also many japanese companies do not like to send parts overseas due to payment hassles... (or respond to english emails Razz )
30,000yen gears on yahoo auctions = about $500-550 landed with no tax. duty and tax is another 20%ish...

Cya, Stewart
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: RA60 Kaaz 2way diff question. Mon, 17 October 2005 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Mon, 17 October 2005 14:35

I know you probably don't want to sell the T series LSD centre you just bought, but there's no point throwing good money after bad.

i agree totally.. 7.5 vs 6.7 is a very large jump in size...

and if you get a trutrack Razz ... mmm torsen goodness..

there will always be some dorifto schmuck who will buy your Kaaz.. and even a small loss will be better in the long run after you get the bigger diff and stop breaikng parts Razz
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: RA60 Kaaz 2way diff question. Mon, 17 October 2005 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but i still say check the alignment and setup first.

can you take pictures of some of the broken pinion gears? did it fail from low or high cycle fatigue? or simply from overloading? (int hat case, britle or ductile failure?)
chrisellis
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: RA60 Kaaz 2way diff question. Mon, 17 October 2005 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the info, i will stand quite corrected in regards to some of my previous statements, would like to know what the techno pro spirit ones are made of though. T-18 axles are damn small, seriously, too small for the power this guys car is putting out. Another option to add in the list is twisting axles.

In regards to the greenline stuff, they have an australian distributor, so email australia@greenline.jp and you will have no problems getting a price delivered to your door, and he has answered every one of my emails in english, and shipping only took a few days from japan.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: RA60 Kaaz 2way diff question. Mon, 17 October 2005 14:21 Go to previous message
chrisellis wrote on Tue, 18 October 2005 00:14

thanks for the info, i will stand quite corrected in regards to some of my previous statements, would like to know what the techno pro spirit ones are made of though. T-18 axles are damn small, seriously, too small for the power this guys car is putting out. Another option to add in the list is twisting axles.

In regards to the greenline stuff, they have an australian distributor, so email australia@greenline.jp and you will have no problems getting a price delivered to your door, and he has answered every one of my emails in english, and shipping only took a few days from japan.

fairy nuff Very Happy

LOL, aussie dist. makes a world of difference Very Happy be interesting to see what they rate their gear compared to the cheaper TRD diff gears on yahoo... (although they don't do the normal gearsets it seems, just 4.556 and 4.778)
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:2tg/3tg hybrid question
Next Topic:st165 probs. thermo fans wont come on...
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Jun 2 11:08:24 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006659984588623 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.