Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Exhaust air injection system on a 22re

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
michaelhaynes110
Regular

June 2005
Exhaust air injection system on a 22re Wed, 26 October 2005 10:39 Go to next message
Just looking through the workshop manual for my ra65 and I noticed that the engine runs a compressor off a belt to pump air into the exhaust.

Now the question is...should I take it off? I was thinking it might give the engine a tad more power.
  Send a private message to this user    
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Exhaust air injection system on a 22re Wed, 26 October 2005 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you actually had a look at your engine? I bet it doesn't have it.

Just because it's in a manual that covers the 22Re all over the world doesn't mean it's on the Aus-spec one.
michaelhaynes110
Regular

June 2005
Re: Exhaust air injection system on a 22re Wed, 26 October 2005 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did have a look and I think I do have it. (could be wrong though)

[Updated on: Wed, 26 October 2005 10:54]

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Exhaust air injection system on a 22re Wed, 26 October 2005 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan wrote on Wed, 26 October 2005 20:51

Have you actually had a look at your engine? I bet it doesn't have it.

Just because it's in a manual that covers the 22Re all over the world doesn't mean it's on the Aus-spec one.

agreed and i'd never heard of this, my car has 2s-c emission stickers doesn't mean it ever had one from the factory lol.
michaelhaynes110
Regular

June 2005
Re: Exhaust air injection system on a 22re Wed, 26 October 2005 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/8282/img26653ms.jpg

What is that metal capsule then? It takes air from the aribox to somewhere near the exhaust.
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: Exhaust air injection system on a 22re Wed, 26 October 2005 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
likely hood of it still being functional and giving the engine more power if removed...hmm personally i dont see much
maybe a bit better launch from the lights (reduced weight Razz )
maybe it does reduce power
i duno, but i dont think it would
~andrew~
michaelhaynes110
Regular

June 2005
Re: Exhaust air injection system on a 22re Wed, 26 October 2005 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
love ke70 wrote on Wed, 26 October 2005 21:29

likely hood of it still being functional and giving the engine more power if removed...hmm personally i dont see much
maybe a bit better launch from the lights (reduced weight Razz )
maybe it does reduce power
i duno, but i dont think it would
~andrew~

It puts air into the exhaust...I dont care if its functional. Its run off a belt from the engine. If you can tell me you don't turn off aircon to race then I can see your point, otherwise any gain that doesnt cost anything is worth it. Wink
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: Exhaust air injection system on a 22re Wed, 26 October 2005 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
disconnect the belt and see what happens?
if its any better mite be worth leavin off
so does it pump fresh air into the exhaust system....whats the point of that? Confused
~andrew~
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Exhaust air injection system on a 22re Wed, 26 October 2005 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
love ke70 wrote on Wed, 26 October 2005 22:13

disconnect the belt and see what happens?
if its any better mite be worth leavin off
so does it pump fresh air into the exhaust system....whats the point of that? Confused
~andrew~

uummm... helps to more completely combust the exhaust gases..

stop.. think.. then post Razz

jk Wink
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Exhaust air injection system on a 22re Wed, 26 October 2005 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
michaelhaynes110 wrote on Wed, 26 October 2005 21:01

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/8282/img26653ms.jpg

What is that metal capsule then? It takes air from the aribox to somewhere near the exhaust.

Does that have a belt driven compressor, or anythign to do with the exh side of the engine? No. Those pipes go from the airbox to the block. Count the number of belts on the front of your engine - I bet you have one for the alt, one for the aircon, & one for the powersteering if you have it.

I believe the californian models may have had the air pump you described in your first post, however what you took a pic of is something only Australia seemed to get. I asked some US celica owners on the old celica club list years ago about mine.It IS descibed in the workshop manuals. IIRC it's something to do with re-combusting crankcase gases (can't remember - perhaps positive crankcase ventilation?) Just leave it alone Razz

Just because it is to do with emmisions doens't mean it has a negative effect on performance, either - some do, but there are some systems the engine runs a lot better with.

[Updated on: Wed, 26 October 2005 12:33]

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Exhaust air injection system on a 22re Wed, 26 October 2005 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lol i got that on mine
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Exhaust air injection system on a 22re Wed, 26 October 2005 13:21 Go to previous message
I threw that out.. mainly because my fully-sic pod filter didn't have a hole for it. no noticable gain, but I don't like non-functional items left on my car.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Programmable Ignition control choices?
Next Topic:UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Jun 11 12:03:31 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.13146090507507 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.