Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
gzesedan
Occasional Poster

March 2003
ae92 rear drum to disc conversion Tue, 04 March 2003 09:39 Go to next message
Hi there,

was hoping you guys could assist me in the best way to convert my ae92 drums to disc. would rear discs off an sx corolla bolt straight on to the current hub?
any information would be a bonus
thanks heaps!
  Send a private message to this user    
MR PLOW
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: ae92 rear drum to disc conversion Tue, 04 March 2003 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey mate i did the upgrade on my ae82 and your better off using the whole stub axel as just bolt it straight on. but the bearing plate etc will bolt up to the drum stub just fine.
haggis
Regular

May 2002
Re: ae92 rear drum to disc conversion Tue, 04 March 2003 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry Mr Plow, but the AE92's are a little different... ( i run AE92 rears disks on my AE82 and found out the hard way..)

On the AE82, the caliper on the rear hangs off a plate sandwiched between the hub and the hub carrier. on the AE92, the reare brake caliper hangs of the hub carrier directly. The actual hub with the wheel studs is identical tho.

So to convert from drum to disc on the AE92 you will need, disk, caliper, rear hub carrier, hand brake cable and brake hoses.

Yes, you should be able to use the rears off a AE92 SX, but you will need the hub carrier as well!

I got all 4 corners from a AE92 GZE from Japan for $400. The fronts will do much more for improved brakeing than just upgrading the rears.

Dont forget to get that hand brake cabel as well! (seen that catch a few people out) and get a manual that shows you how to adjust the handbrake setup on the calipers when you put new pads in the rear!

good luck.

Craig.
MR PLOW
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: ae92 rear drum to disc conversion Wed, 05 March 2003 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh sorry used ae82 on mine as you would i guess.
but the 92 rears should bolt on like i said.
that is what i meant in the first place you misunderstood.
shano2
Regular

July 2002
Re: ae92 rear drum to disc conversion Thu, 06 March 2003 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You will also need the two rearmost suspension arms which run from the crossmember to the hub carrier / upright. These two arms use a different bush in the SX to that of the CS etc. The other two suspension arms

With the SX arms it'll all bolt straight up.

Otherwise you can get a larger bush made up (I believe Fulcrum have done this in Brisbane twice now for this exact conversion) to go into the hub carrier to suit the CS suspension arms. I am told this costs about $75~80 just for the bushes. Jason Purcell is one person who's had it made up so try contacting him (I think he spends more time on the twincam16.com forums than here).

Haggis,

The rear hub carriers that you picked up - did they have all the ABS sensors etc in them. I am chasing a set of AE92 Levin GTZ (4AGZE engined) rear hub carriers / hubs WITH the ABS stuff so I can try to adapt the ABS to my car, just for fun Wink.

Where did you pick them up from?
Do you know of any more floating around down your way as I have just about exhausted all possibilities up here?
haggis
Regular

May 2002
Re: ae92 rear drum to disc conversion Fri, 07 March 2003 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shano2, thats the car mine camefrom, but no they didnt have the ABS sensors. I got them from Jaustech in Adelaide SA. I specialy orderd them, and they took a while to source in Japan. Looks like a bit of a wait either way... May as well get the larger fronts as well. FWIK they are the same as the AE101 fronts as well.

mr plow, yea, my bad... confusing my model codes again Smile
shano2
Regular

July 2002
icon14.gif  Re: ae92 rear drum to disc conversion Fri, 07 March 2003 05:49 Go to previous message
Haggis,

Cool if they are able to order them I don't care how long I have to wait as long as they can get the right bits.

Thanks for that I'll contact them ASAP.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:'M' & '5ME' exhaust manifolds interchangeable?
Next Topic:ISO: Comprehensive list of Mk I,II, & III Celicas released in Australia
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Jun 13 05:02:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0034811496734619 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.