Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » wat caused the condition of these spark plugs?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
wat caused the condition of these spark plugs? Sat, 15 March 2003 03:40 Go to next message
I pulled out and changed the plugs in my 5me today, i noticed the old ones were still ok...plenty of life left in them, but the heads around them were like a rusty organge/ brown colour...could that be the nasty lrp petrol its using? Should i run some upper cylinder in it? Or could it be running lean?
  Send a private message to this user    
celicamad85
Forums Junkie

Banned member

May 2002

Re: wat caused the condition of these spark plugs? Sat, 15 March 2003 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that is normal colour
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: wat caused the condition of these spark plugs? Sat, 15 March 2003 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah this was not normal...ok theyre orange, ill try and get a pic of them. I pulled the ones out of the jag today and they were fine (its unleaded) and they look nothing like these ones...i dont know if its whether theyre running hot, or being run on shit petrol...but its not normal trust me!
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: wat caused the condition of these spark plugs? Sat, 15 March 2003 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why not run unleaded in the 5m?
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: wat caused the condition of these spark plugs? Sat, 15 March 2003 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol ur kidding right? Do it for long enough and youll burn out the valve seals and things will get very hot and damaged...the lrp has an ingredient which helps substitute for the bit of lubrication of the engine when it ran on leaded. Running unleaded will not lubricate anything and can burn out things in your head like i said valve seals etc...to run it on unleaded youd have to put in an additive to substitute for the lead...even on lrp you should run some additive.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: wat caused the condition of these spark plugs? Sat, 15 March 2003 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cant the 5m be run on unleaded.. I know my 18r-c from 1977 could be run on unleaded.
celicamad85
Forums Junkie

Banned member

May 2002

Re: wat caused the condition of these spark plugs? Sat, 15 March 2003 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i seem to recall all toyota motors built after 1971 were made for unleaded but at the time leaded fuel here was the only fuel which had a high enough octane so they were built with hardened valve seats
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: wat caused the condition of these spark plugs? Sat, 15 March 2003 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
of course it can but it wont do the engine any favours trust me. There was a 5me unleaded version, but mine was born on superjuice. Anyway, can someone answer my question.
celicamad85
Forums Junkie

Banned member

May 2002

Re: wat caused the condition of these spark plugs? Sat, 15 March 2003 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thought i already did
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: wat caused the condition of these spark plugs? Sat, 15 March 2003 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol it may seem like ususal to you...but it is not normal to look like this...was causin the engine to miss sometimes too...is fine now tho.
TA22-3SGTE
Regular

May 2002
Re: wat caused the condition of these spark plugs? Sat, 15 March 2003 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The LRP will do more damage to your head and valves than PULP , so change over to PULP and you will notice a difference in fuel economy and smoothness of your engine , I've done a lot of head reconditioning and have seen the damage that this LRP can cause .
(I wouldn't even use LRP in my motor mower ??)

Yeah that orange stuff is caused from the shit in LRP , the top of your pistons and valves will be the same .

Trevor

[Updated on: Sat, 15 March 2003 05:55]

manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: wat caused the condition of these spark plugs? Sat, 15 March 2003 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i switched over to PULP
i noticed it started a little easier....that was it

but the thing is i dont have a CAT so i didnt wanna pollute so i stuck with LRP

i suggest u guys do the same unless u fit a CAT
cause unleaded releases nasty crap
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: wat caused the condition of these spark plugs? Sat, 15 March 2003 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ohwell... dont stand behind your car.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: wat caused the condition of these spark plugs? Sat, 15 March 2003 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shit dude, there is a shitload of nasty stuff in that LRP fuel! As someone said before, all Toyota engines built from the mid-70's (including your 5ME) were designed to run on ULP as that was what Japan had, only problem is in here they had to run on Super as nothing else had the required octane.
I now run my RA60 on a sole diet of BP Ultimate 98, with about double the factory timing in it (achievable with reserve thanks to octane). I don't think Toyota got as good fuel economy and smoothness out of the 21R-C lump when it was new!

Make the change dude, PULP all the way!
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: wat caused the condition of these spark plugs? Sat, 15 March 2003 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats pulp? Premium unleaded? u guys think i should change over?
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: wat caused the condition of these spark plugs? Sat, 15 March 2003 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks guys yeah ill change it over on tuesday...tanks about 1/2 full now so a few days more and it will be clean again Smile Mines a bastard to start when cold too....stalls unless u keep your foot on throttle.. Will that orange shit dissapear from the valves/ pistons if i start to use and keep using from now on pulp? Also will i now have to change my oil etc?
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: wat caused the condition of these spark plugs? Sat, 15 March 2003 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Theres actually some towns down on the south coast that wont even sell leaded (lead replacement) fuel as they have had to much trouble with it stuffing engines.
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: wat caused the condition of these spark plugs? Sat, 15 March 2003 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shit...a good enough indicator to stop using it...
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: wat caused the condition of these spark plugs? Sat, 15 March 2003 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont know if anybody is aware or remembers the avgas crisis that happened in the aviation industry a couple of years but all that fuel actually got converted into unleaded.
roadrunner
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: wat caused the condition of these spark plugs? Sun, 16 March 2003 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If your really fussed i think you can put about half a cup of 2 stroke oil in your tank every time you fill up. I'd check with someone who is more in the know though. Ive heard of people using this on early holden motors and did them alright and your motor would handle pulp alot better than those old donks. I'm olny speaking from what i have been told and have never run a car like this but i think it would work.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: wat caused the condition of these spark plugs? Sun, 16 March 2003 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Use castor oil. Does a great job and smells real nice Very Happy
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: wat caused the condition of these spark plugs? Sun, 16 March 2003 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well after running it today it didnt make a "ping" noise so all is good. runs smoother also.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: wat caused the condition of these spark plugs? Sun, 16 March 2003 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[edit: screw playing this game]

[Updated on: Mon, 17 March 2003 00:24]

ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: wat caused the condition of these spark plugs? Sun, 16 March 2003 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fuck off ed, do you not know that the lead used to lubricate the engines? common sense before knowing those heads had been hardened says that running without the extra lubricant could cause things to burn out.I had no idea those japs had made the engine with hardened heads etc. So now i know im using the PULP. Thanks the others of you for your help, ed go work on your old shitboxes in your backyard. When you have something positive to say come and speak.

[Updated on: Sun, 16 March 2003 09:03]

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: wat caused the condition of these spark plugs? Sun, 16 March 2003 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: wat caused the condition of these spark plugs? Sun, 16 March 2003 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this thread and wat i said to begin with was correct as i didnt know the alloy head toyota motors post 71 were designed to be able to run on ulp. i simply asked a question and made a statement which was correct to what i was thinking about at the time.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: wat caused the condition of these spark plugs? Sun, 16 March 2003 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: wat caused the condition of these spark plugs? Sun, 16 March 2003 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I love the little tantrums that always seem to erupt whenever Robbo says something Evil or Very Mad

Couple of points:
1. LRP is only 95 octane premium unleaded with a so called additive anyway - although is does seem to do some nasty stuff to some engines! If your engines fine with unleaded, then use unleaded.

2. Valve seat recession was generally only relevant with non inserted cast iron heads (Let's all pick on cast iron V8s and start another tantrum fest ey? Although one of the worst offenders for VSR was old school landcruisers Evil or Very Mad ) Anything with an aluminium head needs inserts anyway, as does anything with an iron head that runs on either LPG or ULP.

3. Castor oil smells fantastic - almost as good as vegie oil in a diesel Very Happy

4. Someone tell me why with imported cars we have to change the filler for the skinny neck one that'll only fit unleaded nozzles - you can't buy leaded petrol in australia any more - maybe its to stop idiots putting diesel in there instead Surprised
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: wat caused the condition of these spark plugs? Sun, 16 March 2003 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also Ed, before you get TOO excited, remember Robbo is obviously from a more 'traditional' background so far as car knowledge goes - that's not always a bad thing. The thing is, to learn one needs to ask questions, and sometimes the answers are a smack in the face to what one might have been told earlier. Yes lead was used as an upper cylinder lube, and many years ago many engines WOULD suffer without it (usually when running on gas).

And Robbo, the best way to make a whinger look like an idiot is to ignore them Very Happy

Now I've had my whinge for the night, I can sleep well!
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: wat caused the condition of these spark plugs? Sun, 16 March 2003 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrshin wrote on Sun, 16 March 2003 18:45

And Robbo, the best way to make a whinger look like an idiot is to ignore them Very Happy

Now I've had my whinge for the night, I can sleep well!

mrshin as of now i'm ignoring you Razz

*wonders why mrshin doesnt look anymore like an idiot than he did 5 minutes ago*
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: wat caused the condition of these spark plugs? Mon, 17 March 2003 11:35 Go to previous message
lol thanks for that Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:efi 3sge
Next Topic:3SGTE conversion to 91 SX celica...
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Jun 4 04:28:15 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006335973739624 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.