Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Supra 5spd shifters & speedo drive Tue, 11 March 2003 15:03 Go to next message
While we're on the topic, is there anyone out there with a supra 5spd with the shifter too far back? The W55 I put in my car recently has the forward most shifter position, which is a bit far forward for my liking.
Now my box has to come out for me to change the shifter, and as far as I'm aware it's not just a matter of swapping shifter mounts anyway, so it wouldn't be a hasty transaction. But if anyone's interested, or for that matter can tell me where I can get a rearward mounted shifter from (and don't say Dellows!) I'd like to hear from you.

I also need to find a different speedo drive, my speedo reads 100 when I'm doing 80, so I need a 25% bigger speedo drive I figure. Anyone have any of these spare or know where I could pick on up?

Thanks!

[Updated on: Wed, 12 March 2003 06:53]

Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Supra 5spd shifters Wed, 12 March 2003 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How far back does it need to be? You have the ones at the front, my one on my 1GGTE and W58 comes out near the back and the 2JZGE one comes out right off the back!
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Supra 5spd shifters Wed, 12 March 2003 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm pretty sure mine's the furtherst forward one, so either of the further back ones would be an improvement.
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Supra 5spd shifters & speedo drive Sun, 16 March 2003 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyone?
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Supra 5spd shifters & speedo drive Sun, 16 March 2003 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joel, like I said on that other thread, Castlemaine Rod Shop has all sorts of bits and pieces for these boxes.

The rod shop.
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Supra 5spd shifters & speedo drive Sun, 16 March 2003 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there are 4 stick posi the most common is staight up then 35 mm them 55mm back but there is also a rare 1 that is 25 mm fwd to the straight up posi
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Supra 5spd shifters & speedo drive Sun, 16 March 2003 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had the same problem, and pinched the bits from an RA60 w57, that's the rearmost one made by toyota far as I know, and that ALMOST fixed on. On the topic of Dellows, I also had the problem of the gearbox being mounted straight behind the 4ag, and with the slight angle the 4a is naturally mounted on, meant the shifter comes up poking right over to the left. I told them about this last time I rang to 'alert' them to some other problems as well, and of course was told 'oh, we make these for kit cars, and most people would want the engine vertical...' I asked 'what about the fact that most 4ag kit cars use a T50 anyway'
reply 'uhmmmm, er, well, er, '
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Supra 5spd shifters & speedo drive Sun, 16 March 2003 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey joel

regurading ya speedo what i did was redo the white dials with autocad to allow for the change in speed

anyway just a suggestion
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Supra 5spd shifters & speedo drive Sun, 16 March 2003 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
craig, my speedo was/is accurate now.

it's probably now more accurate than it was before the conversion

on the highway with them 5km speedo checkers I get about 4950ish meters for the 5km zone

[Updated on: Sun, 16 March 2003 10:01]

CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Supra 5spd shifters & speedo drive Sun, 16 March 2003 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine dont work at the moment i use the tacho to judge my speed

i cant find the other short shift post
here is a pic of mine
http://www.users.bigpond.com/digger_aus/trdshifter.jpg

[Updated on: Sun, 16 March 2003 10:04]

Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Supra 5spd shifters & speedo drive Sun, 16 March 2003 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what diff ratio does the ta23 come with?
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Supra 5spd shifters & speedo drive Sun, 16 March 2003 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im pretty sure its the same as the ra23
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Supra 5spd shifters & speedo drive Sun, 16 March 2003 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wonder why your speedo is soo out.
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Supra 5spd shifters & speedo drive Mon, 17 March 2003 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey, now this is more like it! Smile
I'll give the rod shop an email, they've been pretty helpful in the past. Their online catalogue only lists a shifter that's positioned further forward, but I'm sure they'd have plenty of spare standard shifters, as the W57 one should do I guess.
I expect they'll be able to help with the speedo drive too.
Unless it's all really pricey, then I'll go searching wreckers I guess.

Hey mrshin, when you changed the shifter position with the W57 gearstick housing, did you only have to change the little machined casting on the end of the selector shaft that the bottom ball of the gearstick goes into? Or does the whole shaft have to be changed? Is this possible to do without removing the whole 'box?

With the speedo drive I was seriously considering just changing the speedo face to read the correct speed, but the I realised the odometer would still read wrong & decided against it. With the T50 my speedo was out by about 4%. 4.8 kms measured over 5kms. That's with a 4.1:1 diff.

That's a pretty sweet quickshifter dude, that's making me think I might have to get one like it. I am planning on raising up the whole shifter housing, but I'm not too sure I can afford an extra 2cm clearance between the top of the tranny tunnel & the shifter housing. I don't know how easy it would be to get something like that made up at my work, but I'll give it a bit more thought, it might not be so hard to do.
Got any more pics of that quickshifter? 'Specially the alloy housing bit, without the stick in it if possible?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Supra 5spd shifters & speedo drive Tue, 18 March 2003 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When I moved the shifter location on my W58, I had to modify the shaft as well as swapping the shifter housing. This was a different situation to you though; I started with a JZA80 transmission which has the shifter located above the yoke. In your case internal mods may not be necessary.

http://www.norbie.net/Project2JZ/XMember2/medium_Trans5.jpg
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Supra 5spd shifters & speedo drive Tue, 18 March 2003 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeepers, now that setup looks a bit more complicated!
What did you have to do to the selector shaft?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Supra 5spd shifters & speedo drive Tue, 18 March 2003 14:13 Go to previous message
I had to drill and tap a new hole in the shaft about 10mm further back than the original one... this is so the socket thing (whatever it's called) lines up with the hole in the shifter housing. It's kind of hard to explain, but it was fairly simple to do.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:whats a good radiator for a sprinter
Next Topic:3SGE & Supra 5spd
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Jun 4 14:25:05 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006058931350708 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.