Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

1ZZFE or 2ZZGE in RWD config Tue, 18 March 2003 03:29 Go to next message
Has anyone ever tried to fit a 1ZZFE or 2ZZGE motor into a RWD configuration? I've been talking to someone who is planning to put this into a Locost (mainly because the 4AGE doesn't comply with current emmisions laws) and from what I've been told (I can't seem to get the specs, the server is down atm) it is smaller, lighter (by about 35kg) and more powerful than the 4AGE, and it doesn't cost that much more. Apparently complete Celica MRS rearcuts can be had for about $2200 now (MRS being the top spec or something), with Corolla frontcuts even less. It also has variable timing and lift on the valves.

Being smaller and lighter will also be a benefit to handling.

The main barrier as far as I can tell would be the gearbox, as this engine only ever came transverse...

Any thoughts?
  Send a private message to this user    
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1ZZFE or 2ZZGE in RWD config Tue, 18 March 2003 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm, further reading has revealed that the ZZ's are actually larger, though lighter than the 4A's, and the 1ZZ actually isn't that powerful (130ps)...
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon4.gif  Re: 1ZZFE or 2ZZGE in RWD config Tue, 18 March 2003 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 1ZZ-FE puts out about 103kW doesn't it?

The VVTi and extra displacement would make it much nicer to drive than a 4A-GE.

The 2ZZ-GE is the same size, but puts out 140kW with the VVTL-i.
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1ZZFE or 2ZZGE in RWD config Tue, 18 March 2003 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As these two engines are quite new they might probably be a bit more expensive than the 20Valve. Then there is the hastle and cost of adapting a RWD gearbox to the back of one.

Probably the best option would be to secure the 'Westfield fix'. Westfield do have certification for ADR79 and for the sum of $950 the will sell you a modified ECU (changeover, i think) and the all important piece of paper proving compliance.

I too am building a Locost and using the 20Valve, but luckily SA hasnit got around to changing the ICV ADR's. We only have to comply with ADR37/01 and only because TSA was forced to go this far. Even if they do change to ADR79, I only have to comply with the ADR's in force when my application to build was recieved.

I was going for the 20V because; its cheap, plentiful, has good aftermarket support and i can whack a T50 behind it with no hastle. Also it help if i want a little more pep, it can be filled with 4AGZE internals and supercharged which will be phenominal for hillclimb work. Im also looking into the idea of filling the T50 with dog-gears and dogleg first for racing duties.

Out of curiosity, What rear axle is he using??

Im having an absolute bitch trying to find a suitable one.

Also, there are plenty of builders over @ http://www.ozclubbies.com or http://groups.yahoo.com/group/locost_oz

Keep me posted as to how it comes along.

Rex

[Updated on: Tue, 18 March 2003 06:48]

demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1ZZFE or 2ZZGE in RWD config Tue, 18 March 2003 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, but the cost of a 20V + $950 would buy a lot of other options...

The Locost he is building will have a mid mounted engine, and as such is just using the FWD transaxle, gearbox etc. Basically the entire powerplant from a FWD just plonked in the back.
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1ZZFE or 2ZZGE in RWD config Tue, 18 March 2003 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahhhh, i see now. Ive heard of some trying the Mid-Mount thing, none in Aus that i know of though.

Well, then the 'conversion' to RWD will not even really be a conversion just plonk it in the back.

You will however need radical chassis, suspension and hub modifications which personally i feel make it not worth the effort. Then the re is the point of weight distribution. A Clubman is a very light automobile and having all its weight in the back is potentially a recipe for heartbreak

Nonetheless, Goodluck and i hope you can pull it off.

[Updated on: Tue, 18 March 2003 07:05]

demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1ZZFE or 2ZZGE in RWD config Tue, 18 March 2003 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay, maybe I should have been clearer in my first post Smile

My mate is building a Locost, and is thinking of using a 1ZZFE or 2ZZGE motor, and was telling me about the motors which got me interested in them, and I was enquiring as to a RWD conversion for them to fit it into a Rolla Smile
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1ZZFE or 2ZZGE in RWD config Tue, 18 March 2003 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahhhhh, I seee. Well then thats me finished Smile
._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1ZZFE or 2ZZGE in RWD config Mon, 23 June 2003 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just in case you are interested,

i have one 2zz, and in a couple of days will have another one (frontcut) idea will be to make up a bellhousing to adapt it to fit a sierra type9 tranny. (not wort converting it to a t50) to fit inot clubbies

then it could possibly be fitted into a corolla, but sorting out engine mounts might be a bit interesting!!!

T
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1ZZFE or 2ZZGE in RWD config Tue, 24 June 2003 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=15440&start=0&rid=&S=95d6c4af687ed1d 3e725f84e66cdb696
A guy called 'suthol' is dropping one in his Locost. The thread above provides links and a partial 'how to'.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon1.gif  Re: 1ZZFE or 2ZZGE in RWD config Tue, 24 June 2003 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This might interest you.

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=15440
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon8.gif  Re: 1ZZFE or 2ZZGE in RWD config Tue, 24 June 2003 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bastard beat me to it!!! Freak
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1ZZFE or 2ZZGE in RWD config Tue, 24 June 2003 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehehehe Very Happy
suthol
Occasional Poster

February 2003
Re: 1ZZFE or 2ZZGE in RWD config Tue, 24 June 2003 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Demuire,

As the others have said, been there done that, pretty easy to do, got pics and the story if you're interested.

Another point is the exhaust exits on the RHS so a side pipe is allowed, but new extractors need to be fabbed up because of the steering column.

Not a mate of Dominic's are you, he's in Brisbane and doing an ME version of the Locost and looking for a 20v or 1ZZFE.

BIG point if you buy any of the late model Toyo engines, they are EU3 compliant ( ADR 79-01 ) and as a consequence have a fairly complex ECU / Immobiliser, you need a matching engine, ECU, AFM, CAT, ignition lock and key.

I stuffed up with the lock and am now grovelling to Toyota, even if it costs a grand it will be less than an ECU capable of driving the VVT and an ADR compliant immobiliser ( think Motec or Autronic ).

You should be paying around $2.5K for the complete kit less gearbox and at least twice that for the 2ZZGE which are still very rare and almost impossible to find as a complete conversion.

GMS at Milperra will bring one in for you but expect to have to pay upfront and then do some waiting. ( ask for Simon )
** usual disclaimer, not interest, just a satisfied customer **
suthol
Occasional Poster

February 2003
icon7.gif  Re: 1ZZFE or 2ZZGE in RWD config Wed, 25 June 2003 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks like the ECU is not going to be a show stopper.

Need a package of lock, transponder, amplifier and keys, all up around $500

Got to be happy with that.
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1ZZFE or 2ZZGE in RWD config Tue, 08 July 2003 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehe, just stumbled upon this thread again, did not realise there were more replies Smile

Suthol: Yes I work with Dominic actually Smile

All up, looks interesting, but probably will be more than what I want to spend... Maybe in the future Smile

suthol
Occasional Poster

February 2003
Re: 1ZZFE or 2ZZGE in RWD config Tue, 08 July 2003 09:06 Go to previous message
Demuire,

I'll be up in Brissie around the end of August and will try to catch up with Dominic while I'm there.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:21RC - goal - 220 hp believeble? what can be done?
Next Topic:Throttle Position Sensor Help Needed
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Jun 10 05:59:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.13025593757629 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.