Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Quick/short shift kit for W58???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Quick/short shift kit for W58??? Sat, 19 October 2002 11:37 Go to previous message
If you just want to shorten the shifter (without changing the throw), this is very easy. I did this on my car. At least with w5x gearboxes in xa6xs, there is an ugly stick with a fat nice chrome stick stuck on top that the shift knob screws on to. The two are separated by donut-like bushings (to remove vibration/road noise)... but the top bushing is solid. If you loosen the two sticks by patient use of a heatgun & vice, you can then drill through the top bushing and sit them back together to make the shifter slightly shorter. I went a little further and cut down the ugly stick maybe 10mm too. The chrome stick now sits down far enough that it rests on the bend in the ugly stick (hopes this makes sense).

Still looks stock, feels (and looks) a lot better. Some go further by simply not bothering to put the chrome stick back on, and attaching a universal-type shift knob (type with 3 grub screws) directly to the ugly stick. I tried this, but I really didn't like the heap of road noise/lots of vibration/gearbox whine/overly direct feel. The bushings are obviuously there for a reason.
  Send a private message to this user    

SubjectPosterDate
Read Message   Quick/short shift kit for W58??? sbyderSat, 19 October 2002 00:01
Read Message   Re: Quick/short shift kit for W58??? BigWormSat, 19 October 2002 01:04
Read Message   Re: Quick/short shift kit for W58??? YoungySat, 19 October 2002 01:45
Read Message   Re: Quick/short shift kit for W58??? SupraPeteSat, 19 October 2002 02:43
Read Message   Re: Quick/short shift kit for W58??? SupraPeteSat, 19 October 2002 03:10
Read Message   Re: Quick/short shift kit for W58??? sbyderSat, 19 October 2002 09:47
Read Message   Re: Quick/short shift kit for W58???  StefanSat, 19 October 2002 11:37
Previous Topic:Damn crappy radiators
Next Topic:AW11 Tyre suggestions

Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Oct 19 13:22:10 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0045900344848633 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.