Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1JZ single - boost control/fuelling Q's

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
INTJ
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: 1JZ single - boost control/fuelling Q's Mon, 27 December 2004 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Hi,

In the UK we had the "Vauxhall Carlton" which I believe was the "Holden Calais" in Oz, and the "Vauxhall Senator" which was the "Holden Commodore". Both these models were discontinued in 1994 to make way for a new model, the "Vauxhall Omega", or the "Opel Omega B" as it was known in mainland Europe (because the UK "Vauxhall Carlton" had been badged as the "Opel Omega" since 1986 outside of the UK. Europe never got the 3.8 V6 engine as far as I'm aware. There are a still a fair few older Holden Calais with the V6 buzzing around here in Thailand.

Some blurb from a UK "buying used" website :

"The Omega was to be the Vauxhall that BMW, Mercedes and Audi customers could buy with confidence. Launched in 1994, it was intended to blur the difference between mainstream executive cars and their prestige sector counterparts. And it has. Though there aren't many about on the used market, they make desirable buys. An Omega is built just as well as any rival from Bavaria, Stuttgart or Ingolstadt. Yet market perception continues to place a lower value on that Vauxhall badge; hence the fact that a second-hand version is far better value"

and

" The 1994 Vauxhall/Opel Omega was an all-new car with a modern exterior design but a traditional rear-wheel drive chassis. The engine range was all-new: Four cylinder engines were a 2.0 L petrol and a 2.5 L turbo-diesel which were reasonably refined and gave acceptable performance. But the V6 engines (2.5 L and 3.0 L) were a far better bet. The top of the range Omega, with the 3.0 L V6, was the most expensive Vauxhall/Opel on the market at ฃ30,000. The Omega saloon was extremely spacious and comfortable, and the estate was capable of holding seven occupants. From 1997 to 2001, the top three-litre saloon was sold in the US as a captive import badged as the Cadillac Catera.

As with its predecessor, the Omega platform was heavily modified and enlarged as the basis of the Australian Holden Commodore (from 1997)"

I think its closer in size to a Commodore than an Astra/Vectra. Its quite a big car.

I have just found an ad in a magazine for a dyno shop that are also licensed Microtech dealers. What are the advantages of using an aftermarket ECU such as the Microtech LTX12("piggybacked" I would presume, to keep the gearbox control from the OEM ECU) over the E-Manage or SAFC ?

Actually, the E-manage is fractionally cheaper than the SAFC2 here.

"get that thing on a dyno asap to check the air fuel ratio. As the stock ecu runs rich as you may find it could be close to 12.5:1 air fuel ratio already"

If this was the case, would I gain anything significant by using any of these products ?

As the consensus seems to be E-manage is better than SAFC (please correct me if I'm wrong), why is the Apexi product so popular ? Is it simply down to price (ie. the E-Manage being more expensive than the SAFC, which its not here) ?

Cheers,

INTJ

Send a private message to this user    

SubjectPosterDate
Read Message   1JZ single - boost control/fuelling Q's INTJSat, 25 December 2004 05:06
Read Message   Re: 1JZ single - boost control/fuelling Q's SoarerSat, 25 December 2004 07:31
Read Message   Re: 1JZ single - boost control/fuelling Q's IcarusSat, 25 December 2004 09:44
Read Message   Re: 1JZ single - boost control/fuelling Q's acmttSun, 26 December 2004 04:00
Read Message   Re: 1JZ single - boost control/fuelling Q's INTJSun, 26 December 2004 07:40
Read Message   Re: 1JZ single - boost control/fuelling Q's Chris DaveySun, 26 December 2004 21:45
Read Message   Re: 1JZ single - boost control/fuelling Q's acmttSun, 26 December 2004 07:51
Read Message   Re: 1JZ single - boost control/fuelling Q's Chris DaveySun, 26 December 2004 21:46
Read Message   Re: 1JZ single - boost control/fuelling Q's acmttSun, 26 December 2004 23:39
Read Message   Re: 1JZ single - boost control/fuelling Q's KOFFEE-BLACKMon, 27 December 2004 02:06
Read Message   Re: 1JZ single - boost control/fuelling Q's SoarerMon, 27 December 2004 04:27
Read Message   Re: 1JZ single - boost control/fuelling Q's  INTJMon, 27 December 2004 06:06
Read Message   Re: 1JZ single - boost control/fuelling Q's SoarerMon, 27 December 2004 06:14
Read Message   Re: 1JZ single - boost control/fuelling Q's Chris DaveyMon, 27 December 2004 23:22
Read Message   Re: 1JZ single - boost control/fuelling Q's INTJSun, 06 February 2005 08:06
Previous Topic:how to put a cd player in
Next Topic:GZE and HKS head gasket

Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Jun 2 17:41:25 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.004702091217041 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.