Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Sun, 27 July 2003 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks mate. I'm still deciding if I'm going to a 5 stud and this is just one more reason to do so Rolling Eyes
  Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Sun, 27 July 2003 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dave, Do you know the thickness of the MA70 rotor face? And also the thickness of the Hilux drum face.

Thanks
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Mon, 28 July 2003 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had better put my hand in the air for a pair of caliper brackets as well, tentatively.
Cheers,
Mitch.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Mon, 28 July 2003 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Holy shit! @ T vs G pic
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Mon, 28 July 2003 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And then people want to bang 150 bhp+ through a T series axle and have the nerve to complain about the weight of a G series hilux diff.....
I just don't understand it at all !!!!
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon3.gif  Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Mon, 28 July 2003 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Things are always best when done in moderation...

Smile
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Mon, 28 July 2003 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Too much is never enough!!
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Mon, 28 July 2003 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Mon, 28 July 2003 17:28

Things are always best when done in moderation...

Smile

Except for Sex and Horsepower!

Thats why i have a HUGEEEEEE Di......................ff

Allan
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Mon, 28 July 2003 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BAAAAAAAhahaha!

Allan, you're a crackup.

But if you want big horsepower, you might want to turf that 7M though.....

*Runs and hides*
hehehe Rolling Nod
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 29 July 2003 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a few questions:

1) How much drivetrain loss will i get through a G series LSD compared to a T series LSD?

2) What F series LSD's are available?

3) are T series really that weak? Ive never broken one, mates of mine have never broken their LSD's (cusco 2way lsd) and he drives hard, clutch dumps, drifts, track days and burnouts..

4) what would be the best upgrade for an RA23/ae86 combining strength/lightweight and cost?
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 29 July 2003 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Tue, 29 July 2003 09:35

*Runs and hides*
hehehe Rolling Nod

OOOooooOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo oooo FIGHT!FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!!! Laughing
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 29 July 2003 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"M vs JZ" is popping up in a few places.....coinciding with the return of Allan... Laughing
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 29 July 2003 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its like the good old days, find Allan, wind him up and gooooooooooo Evil or Very Mad
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon9.gif  Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 29 July 2003 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's just so hard to resist! I've tried, but finally I succumbed...

Laughing
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 29 July 2003 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-MrRx7 wrote on Tue, 29 July 2003 10:21

a few questions:

1) How much drivetrain loss will i get through a G series LSD compared to a T series LSD?

3) are T series really that weak? Ive never broken one, mates of mine have never broken their LSD's (cusco 2way lsd) and he drives hard, clutch dumps, drifts, track days and burnouts..

4) what would be the best upgrade for an RA23/ae86 combining strength/lightweight and cost?

1) not anywhere as much as you would in a single spinner once it has started to spin.

2) MA61 and 4 runner as standard equipment. There is heaps of aftermarket centres available in the 4X4 world

3) it all depends on how hard you treat them and what you are expecting them to do. They can break pinions with an 18R if you abuse them. If you put a lot of power into them or weld up the centre they will break axles. The T series LSD is hard to get.

4) how much power are you expecting it to handle. I am looking at an F series because my personal opinion is that the G is huge overkill for my needs but I can't be bothered keep up with the maintenance on a T series.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 29 July 2003 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1) Im assuming the mass and so on would suck a bit of power with a G series rather then a lighter T series wouldnt it?

2) would you have any links or pics of various F series LSD's?

3) as i said.. running a 4age now.. looking for a hefty power increase down the track so want to think about diff strength. I dont like the idea of taking my chances with a T series A( im not gentle on cars in general)

4) 240 - 250 fly wheel kw's max.. so yes... too much for a T series and drive it hard.

gold28 wrote on Tue, 29 July 2003 13:29

Simon-MrRx7 wrote on Tue, 29 July 2003 10:21

a few questions:

1) not anywhere as much as you would in a single spinner once it has started to spin.

2) MA61 and 4 runner as standard equipment. There is heaps of aftermarket centres available in the 4X4 world

3) it all depends on how hard you treat them and what you are expecting them to do. They can break pinions with an 18R if you abuse them. If you put a lot of power into them or weld up the centre they will break axles. The T series LSD is hard to get.

4) how much power are you expecting it to handle. I am looking at an F series because my personal opinion is that the G is huge overkill for my needs but I can't be bothered keep up with the maintenance on a T series.

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 29 July 2003 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heres one F-series with a Detroit Truetrac Torsen LSD centre: http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&g oto=135626&rid=162&S=095c7c214494aa0956de4 e68a1d20ae3
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 29 July 2003 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-MrRx7 wrote on Tue, 29 July 2003 13:44

4) 240 - 250 fly wheel kw's max..

Quote from The Castle:
"Tell him he's dreaming"
Rolling Eyes

A Formula Atlantic 4A-GE only gets 240hp and you think you're gonna make 250kW?!

[Updated on: Tue, 29 July 2003 03:56]

Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 29 July 2003 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Never said i was using a 4age for that did i!

i said im running a mild 4age NOW.. looking for a power increase later!

gotya Wink

Nark wrote on Tue, 29 July 2003 13:54

Simon-MrRx7 wrote on Tue, 29 July 2003 13:44

4) 240 - 250 fly wheel kw's max..

Quote from The Castle:
"Tell him he's dreaming"
Rolling Eyes

A Formula Atlantic 4A-GE only gets 240hp and you think you're gonna make 250kW?!

Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 29 July 2003 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i saw that.. thanks!

F series looks bloody big... what do they weigh?

justcallmefrank wrote on Tue, 29 July 2003 13:47

Heres one F-series with a Detroit Truetrac Torsen LSD centre: http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&g oto=135626&rid=162&S=095c7c214494aa0956de4 e68a1d20ae3

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 29 July 2003 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe OK. My mistake for making the assumption.

When people say power increase, they normally mean with the current engine. Razz
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 29 July 2003 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fair enough Wink

oh i meant hp not kw's... so max of about 240 - 250 hp is what ive planned for it.

ive had a worked 4age NA (see car in avatar.. now sold) 200 hp NA and it was a bit of a whore to drive Wink
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 29 July 2003 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah. I can't imagine a 200hp 4A being too streetable....
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 29 July 2003 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-MrRx7 wrote on Tue, 29 July 2003 14:00

Yeah i saw that.. thanks!

F series looks bloody big... what do they weigh?

More than a T series. You're just going to have to accept that a stronger diff will always contain lots of extra steel, which equals weight! If you want a strong diff without a significant penalty in unsprung mass, you'd better start thinking about an IRS conversion. Smile
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 29 July 2003 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
norbie

haha thanks but i was looking for an actual figure Smile

sorry for the thread hyjack but this info looks to be useful for everyone.

Are there any good quality clutch pack lsd availavle for the F series?

that truetrac.. whats it for does anyone know? the company specilises in 4X4 stuff mainly dont they
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 29 July 2003 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go here. Have some tissues handy.

IRS for AE86

http://www2.comco.ne.jp/~hotstaff/ww13.jpg

http://www2.comco.ne.jp/~hotstaff/ww6.jpg

Cheers Dave.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 29 July 2003 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh my!!

thats gorgeous!
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 29 July 2003 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Will I fall over and have a heart attack if I ask for the price on this baby?
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 29 July 2003 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm I think its $6000 australian Sad
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 29 July 2003 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
480000¥, so roughly $6000 AUD (+ taxes, duties etc).
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 29 July 2003 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wonder how adapatble that would be to a celica
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 29 July 2003 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bolt in a TA22/33

easy enough on a RA40 too
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 29 July 2003 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check out the celica

http://www.hotstaff-power.co.jp/salon1.jpg

EDIT: here is pics of the build of that celica

http://www.hotstaff-power.co.jp/classic.html

[Updated on: Tue, 29 July 2003 05:57]

TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 29 July 2003 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd love that IRS in the Celica but hmm $6000 I think not.

If you were good with metal/welding it doesn't look ALL that difficult.. Suppose most of it is the design, not so much construction?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 29 July 2003 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That colorful Celica looks tuff in a weird kinda way Confused
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 29 July 2003 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Tue, 29 July 2003 09:35

BAAAAAAAhahaha!

Allan, you're a crackup.

*Runs and hides*
hehehe Rolling Nod

Yep! the 7m-gte gos into the MA45 and the MA70 will get a 2jz-gte later on... so when are you upgrading to a 22R-TE?
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Wed, 30 July 2003 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think that in an earlier post someone did quote a weight figure for an F series axle of about 72 kg ?
Anyway, my RA23 T series axle weighs 62kg and my RN25 G series open centre axle weighs 81kg complete, so if you use say 75kg for an F series, you could not be that far away from (twisted) reality.
Cheers,
Mitch.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Wed, 30 July 2003 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for that
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Wed, 30 July 2003 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not a worry, its always good to have your question answered when its posted to the Forum ! Seriously, I can see no real reason why a 7.5 inch F should weigh less than a 6.7 inch T or more than an 8 inch G series. The F should be closer to the T than the G in actual fact - G series are bulletproof.
Cheers,
Mitch.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Wed, 30 July 2003 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well im guessing being smaller then the Gseries it would weigh less thats for sure.. and yeah the g series is bullet proof and reknown for its strength.. however it is very much overkill for my application!

well ive got a fair idea what i can and cant do now Wink

thanks for help so far ppl
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Sat, 16 August 2003 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Sun, 27 July 2003 09:17

if theres a few people interested in the caliper brackets i can get some water cut and powder coated sexy ones made..

So when can we get these caliper brackets? Or even just a drawing?

[Updated on: Sat, 16 August 2003 10:58]

Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Sat, 16 August 2003 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry been stuck with work this week I should have some prices on the 20th

Allan
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Sun, 17 August 2003 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sweet thanks.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 19 August 2003 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
over kill on a diff.... hmmm.. you obviously havent changed many dead centers in the midde of the night by torch light.

G series is hardly overkill when people talk about putting ford 9 inches into things like celicas etc

imagine NEVER worrying about your diff... or driveline for that matter
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Wed, 24 September 2003 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan ya bitch, hows them brackets comming?
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Wed, 24 September 2003 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Wed, 23 July 2003 10:15

If you are planning on investigating the E series, Cressidas up to the MX62 are E series too. No idea on their width.

My haynes manual for my MX62 says the track is 1350mm
(not that anyone cared Razz )

Cheers
Wilbo
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Wed, 24 September 2003 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hopefully geting my CAD work tidyed up by someone that knows what there doing... i have much more respect for CAD people after trying to draw them up myself!

I have also revised the shape to make them to be lighter without losing any strength and consulted an engineer about the plate thickness (now 8mm rather then 10mm)

Sorry for delay but i want to be shure its all good before handing them out and thay are for offroad use only if you wish to use them on the street you will have to get them engineer approved yourself according to your local laws

Allan
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Wed, 24 September 2003 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Everything down to the carpet in my car will need engineering so whats a few extra calipers brackets Confused
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Wed, 24 September 2003 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any idea on a final price?
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 14 December 2004 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hhmmmm... decomposed thread..... Cool

Has anyone yet tested/tried/atempted/figured out anything further regarding the use of the MA70 rear discs re-drilled to 4x114.3mm PCD?

I am collecting all of the parts required for the hilux conversion and am trying to weigh up the options for rear discs as opposed to the 10" drums. I have had a look at how the Skyline rear discs work, it's a fair bit of messing around with bracketry and spacing to get the caliper correctly lined up with the disc.... involving a home made backing plate. All completely possible of course.

I *would* have looked at the other options, but yo dont tend to find many MA70s down at Piccies. I will look at an MX83 next time im down there however.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 14 December 2004 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont dave GT and allan have MZ20/MZ70 rear brakes on thier G series conversions?

i have a CAD drawing of the caliper bracket they used

also have a actual test caliper bracket here as well

u want?
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 14 December 2004 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmm, perhapsies Smile

I should really evalute first what options i have of fitting something inside a 13" or 14" wheel first. If the MA70/MZ20 rear discs can do that then sweet! This is for PMPboy you see.

I am also interested for the Celica, as i might end up using this RN41 rear end i have now... if i cant find a decent priced RN2* rear end. Celica runs 15" wheels so better clearances.

Maybe i'll talk to you soon.
AE25
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Sat, 18 December 2004 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heres a link to james moffats hilux conversion into ae86 using R33 disk brake conversion. his dad is my tech tutor so ive heard alot about it. the drum handbrake was installed too.
http://www.ae86.orcon.net.nz/technical.htm

ive snapped a couple T series axles too but i put it down to excess wear in the splines coupled with axle tramp and a locker. not the big wheel jumping type tramp.. just the very high frequency shudder when wheel spinning.. both axles were snapped in wet conditions.. one with a stock 2tgeu in 1st gear burnout, 2nd was 3tgte 2nd gear fishtailing and dont think there was enough load on the diff to stop that blasted shudder
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Sun, 19 December 2004 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not sure if i've meantioned this on the forums or not but Craft Diffs at Granville can put r31 skyline discs on a hilux diff. (and they don't turn down the axels)
i think they told me it would cost $200. but i'm not sure.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Sun, 19 December 2004 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MA70 rear discs are fairly large... I think you've got buckley's of fitting them in a 14" wheel. No chance at all with 13's.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Sun, 19 December 2004 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually, the MA70 291mm rotors and calipers fit nicely under a Ford Falcon XF S Pack 14 x 6 steel wheel. You will have buckley's of getting them under a 13" rim though.

[Updated on: Sun, 19 December 2004 11:07]

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Sun, 19 December 2004 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm, craft diffs were going to be the ones doing the mount swapping for me, so i will have a chat to them about that - thanks Smile
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 21 December 2004 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Weren't the XF X-pac wheels 15x7?? I thought they were the same as the fairmont wheels.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 21 December 2004 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nope definitely 14x6. I had the misfortune of owning one of these pieces of shit.

Here is an example (with the wheels I mean) in all its skyjacked glory.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/207000-207999/207885_1_full.jpg
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 21 December 2004 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
On that note, does anyone know where I might find a set of 14x7 steelies in a Ford stud pattern? Even 14x6.5 would do. Did any Falcons come with anything like that?
Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:LSD's
Next Topic:ke11 brake upgrade+ stud conversion
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 14:07:20 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.012344837188721 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.