Toymods » Members Rides » Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
forced_induction
Regular

August 2004
Re: Joel - Turbo 1977 RA28 Celica Tue, 17 August 2004 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have you still got the old rims from the car?
are you intereseted in selling?
Thanks
Tom
  Send a private message to this user    
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel - Turbo 1977 RA28 Celica Sun, 12 September 2004 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here is an updated shot of the engine bay Confused

http://members.optusnet.com.au/helenfitz/pictures/enginebay.jpg

The engine is stripped down at the moment to try and see whats causing the vibration problem...
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Joel - Turbo 1977 RA28 Celica Sun, 12 September 2004 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Joel.. re the vibration... did you check the harmonic balancer??
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel - Turbo 1977 RA28 Celica Sun, 12 September 2004 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi mate, yeah before stripping the engine down had the flywheel, pressure plate, harmonic balancer, crank trigger disc all down at Graham Wilkins to check over, rebalance, etc.

I think we tried almost everything external to the engine. Ran it with no exhaust, braced the shit out of the turbo and plenum, took the fan belt off to eliminate water pump and alternator.

I really hope now its in 101 pieces something will show up. But visably it all looked ok internally. Bearings were all good, rods to the eye looked straight.

I've dropped all the parts into Graham on Saturday. He said first they will crack test the crank. Then go from there.

Cheers
Joel
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Fri, 01 October 2004 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well it turns out one of the rods was bent. I'm pleased to have finally found the cause of it.

Now on the hunt for a set of rods. Then can get it all back together.

Cheers
Joel
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Fri, 01 October 2004 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bloody hell what an odd one?! well at least you can relax a bit knowing what it is.. any luck chasing the rods yet?
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Fri, 01 October 2004 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can we swap engine bays? mines not painted the same color as the car. and yours is also a bit longer in the nose. This might also be handy. I'll offer you a cash adjustment. And organise freight. Its just a bolt on swap right?

Razz
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Sat, 02 October 2004 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah so glad to know what it was.. Was concerned about finding some rods but I found a set of 4 rods and pistons (which I wont use as have forged ones) for $60!! Total bargin I think.

They are being sent down from QLD so hopefully have them during the week and get Graham to balance it all up again and i'll assemble it.

Haha yeah i've heard the front ends are just bolted on Razz
bstjunkie
Regular

July 2004
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Tue, 05 October 2004 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very nice, let me know if u want to sell it Very Happy
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Sat, 30 October 2004 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joel,

More info on your diff setup please, particularly the extended lower control arm brackets? What level have you set the control arm at and the theory behind it all please? Have you tried moving the control arm and what effect did it have?
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Mon, 01 November 2004 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Howdy, Anthony (Gold28) from Toymods gave me this idea and kindly helped with the setup. So I'm probably best to quote what he had to say about it.

"What these brackets are designed to do is bring the line of action of the trailing arms back pointing towards the centre of gravity of the car. The problem with lowering a car is that while you are lowering the centre of gravity a couple of inches, you are making big changes to the effective geometry of the suspension. These brackets are supposed to restore some of the geometry after you lower it.

These brackets are supposed to install whats known as anti-squat. They are designed to line up the thrust line of the tyres with the cars centre of gravity, thus getting the most bite from your tyres."

I haven't had a chance to play around with it yet, especially since the RA28 has had no engine for a 2 months or so now. I think before I test it i'll need to make the arm adjustable in length also so with each setting I can set the pinion angle correctly.

Cheers
Joel
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Sun, 21 November 2004 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well the engine build has started this weekend.

The new rods were honed out and fitted with ARP bolts.
Block has been bored, everything balanced. I'm putting new bearings & rings in while its apart.

Here are a few shots of it :

http://img109.exs.cx/img109/7775/bare_engine_block.jpg

http://img109.exs.cx/img109/2226/bare_engine_block_1.jpg

http://img109.exs.cx/img109/7789/bare_engine_block_2.jpg

http://img109.exs.cx/img109/8909/piston.jpg

Cheers
Joel

[Updated on: Sun, 21 November 2004 07:46]

IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Sun, 21 November 2004 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmm theres nothing more pretty than a clean bare block thats been freshly honed Smile
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Tue, 30 November 2004 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thought i'd give a quick update.. there has been some holdups getting the 3T back together.

First the bearings that were supplied were the wrong size. As soon as I started to do the mains up the crank would refuse to move. Checked with some flexiguage and was way out of spec.

Thanks to Jason (yellorolla) he had a spare set of NDC bearings for it so put those in and all was good.

So I got the crank & pistons back in, put the timing gear on and went to put the cover on.. bah.. somehow lost the front crank main seal.

Now waiting on Toyota to order the seal in for me, should arrive tomorrow I hope.

Then can get back to assembling the engine. I want it on the road!!!

Cheers
Joel
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Sun, 05 December 2004 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Few updates :

Here is the block complete with the headstuds in.
http://img26.exs.cx/img26/8832/t2sblockwithstuds.jpg

Here is a pic with the head on, but I had to pull it off again Sad as I didn't realise you couldn't put the oil pump drive gear/shft thing in with the head on. Bit annoyed about that!
http://img26.exs.cx/img26/1940/f6kheadon.jpg
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Sun, 05 December 2004 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looking good Joel,

hate to think what the CR of those pistons is gona be Smile
they even look like theyre slighlty proud of the head?

you have no luck with engines though, seriously have you thought about another hoby Razz
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Sun, 05 December 2004 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahhh your getting there!
i got dibs on that screamer when its time for it to go!
the engine, not the car, i can't see that ever getting sold aye?
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Sun, 05 December 2004 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
absolutely beautiful mate! good work, very inspiring!
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Sun, 05 December 2004 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

hate to think what the CR of those pistons is gona be
they even look like theyre slighlty proud of the head?

you have no luck with engines though, seriously have you thought about another hoby

Howdy, those pistons are actually around 7.9:1 They were running in it before the bent conrod problem.

Yeah I was really spitting chips yesturday and was seriously debating a new hobby, maybe gardening or something less stressful haha.

Cheers
Joel
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Mon, 06 December 2004 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboRA28 wrote on Mon, 06 December 2004 07:27

seriously debating a new hobby, maybe gardening

Gardening takes too long to produce a satisfactory result!

[Updated on: Mon, 06 December 2004 00:09]

IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Mon, 06 December 2004 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but as a pimp you can see results every 1-2minutes Smile and you make money instead of spending it Very Happy
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Sun, 12 December 2004 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Made heaps of progress this weekend getting the engine back together and in the car. For a change everything went smoothly.

http://img92.exs.cx/img92/4617/engineheadon3fr.jpg

http://img95.exs.cx/img95/3201/turbo1cz.jpg

http://img95.exs.cx/img95/6232/turboside0sb.jpg

http://img95.exs.cx/img95/8714/turborear0hj.jpg

http://img95.exs.cx/img95/2577/engineplenum1jb.jpg

http://img95.exs.cx/img95/6797/enginecrane6ib.jpg

http://img95.exs.cx/img95/8751/engineincar6uv.jpg

http://img95.exs.cx/img95/513/engineincar11tc.jpg

I hope it will be running tomorrow Smile

Cheers
Joel

[Updated on: Sun, 12 December 2004 08:31]

Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Sun, 12 December 2004 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice work joel

ps: who makes your tower bearings?
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Sun, 12 December 2004 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey mate, they are from Noltec.

Cheers
Joel
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Mon, 13 December 2004 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Woohoo it's finally running again! Took it out for the first drive Monday morning. All running nicely with no problems so far. I'm going to Kiama on Friday so that will be a good trip to wear it in.

Here is a pic of all back in the bay and in 1 piece.

http://img73.exs.cx/img73/2208/enginecomplete5on.jpg
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Tue, 14 December 2004 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WOW that is soo clean,i really would love to get my engine bay looking that smikk..good work mate...also where can i get the turbo heat shield stuff?
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Tue, 14 December 2004 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
happy happy joy joy Very Happy

When we goin for a drive????

I think you should come along to the cruise this Sunday Night.

Oh and by the way I am having troubles with James Supra. I think the battery might be getting flat. Embarassed
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Tue, 14 December 2004 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The headsheild is made by ACL, its the same stuff they use on the Ford XR6 turbos and seems to do a real good job. I ordered it through local auto shop but had to supply the part number which I found on ACL's website. Was about $50 for a big sheet.

Hey Anthony, mate i'm going to Kiama over the weekend. - was going to do sad face because can't make the Toymods event.. But will do Smile as i'm excited to be going to Kiama.

Haha I hear you can replace Supra's batteries quite easy! Only simple tools required.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Sun, 19 December 2004 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I went to Kiama over the weekend.. Was a good trip to wear the engine in and got a couple of photos Smile

http://img61.exs.cx/img61/8250/kiama7es.jpg

bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Sun, 19 December 2004 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks good there Joel.

I love the colour and the intake and exhaust manifolds are pretty sweet.

I have a soft spot for the RA28's and wish I still had mine, but now have the MA61.

Makes me think I better get my act into gear and get working !!!!

Cheers

Michael B
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Mon, 20 December 2004 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's a nice shot there Joel.. I may have mentioned it before, but the new rims look absolutely GUN! Surprised

Great to see you're back driving it again, and the engine bay is definitely looking super sweet!
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Wed, 22 December 2004 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here is a pic of the Celica and my mates 4G63B powered Lancer :

http://img155.exs.cx/img155/1341/celicaandlancer1gf.jpg
Regina
Occasional Poster

October 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Thu, 23 December 2004 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very nice....
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Thu, 23 December 2004 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joel can you please stop taking those pretty shots of your car at the beach.... your making me feel .... inadequate ... in my little grey shit box Sad
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Thu, 23 December 2004 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahh well when im at the beach everyone else always feels inadequate... oh wait... we are talking about cars Very Happy

Nothing wrong with the Corolla man!
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Thu, 23 December 2004 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboRA28 wrote on Wed, 22 December 2004 15:07

Here is a pic of the Celica and my mates 4G63B powered Lancer :

http://img155.exs.cx/img155/1341/celicaandlancer1gf.jpg

I expect to see both of these cars at the January Dyno day.

I remember having a chat with your mate at Toyota Nationals about his Lnacer, that is a really cool conversion.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Thu, 23 December 2004 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Joel, I guess the trip gave you a good chance to try out the new front end geometry. How does it feel now? Have you finally bettered the sprinter?? Or will it be coming off the road for another couple of months Razz
jeffro RA28
Regular

August 2004
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Thu, 23 December 2004 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Those mags are tough!, certainly better then the older plainer ones.

TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Thu, 23 December 2004 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Anthony, yeah the front end feels unreal now . No noticeable bump steer at all, and i've been able to dial in around 1.5 degree neg camber which is good.

Yup I'd say handling wise it finally feels superiour to the ae86!

I'm heading up to Brisbane in it tomorrow so fingers crossed all goes ok.

Cheers
Joel
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Fri, 24 December 2004 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was watching your old thread on the rack conversion a while ago, but i think that burnt out around the time you found the problems with bump-steer, etc.

What did you end up doing to fix it?
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Fri, 31 December 2004 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah evil bump steer... To get rid of it I had to lengthen the steering arms around 25mm. I did this by using a slightly lower profile (RA60) inner rack end which was 5mm less than the KE70/AE86 one, then move the pivot point of the control arm outbound 20mm (mmmmm negative camber).

I haven't measured it, but am confident there is close to zero bump steer now. It is a totally different car to drive, steering response and feel is totally awesome and the car just feels so stable on the road now.

Cheers
Joel
Major Clod
Regular

August 2003
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Sun, 02 January 2005 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That picture of your 28 with the lancer is an absolute killer. The front end of the 23/28 looks so damn tough, like its about to eat you.

Beautiful car!
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Tue, 11 January 2005 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well bit bored at the moment.. First week back at work after xmas holidays Sad .....

So thought I might post up some of the jobs I plan to do on the Celica this year.. These are in no real order.

Remount the MSD - currently taking up all space in the glovebox.

Colour code speedo/revise gauges - Don't know if I like the whiteface gauges anymore.

Adjust windows - Passenger side especially. Doesn't seal up too well.

Batt + wires move in the cabin to distribution block - too much shit hanging off the alternator.

Glove box - new inside.

Fit electric heater

Window and door seals - Need to find something better than rarespares/spectrum's stuff isn't very good.

Tint windows

Adjustable rear swaybar

Revise rear spring rates - probably 175 lbs/in.

Adjustable lower trailing arms

Alarm/Security

Fit F series Torsen LSD Centre - already own this just slack and haven't put it in.

Shorten diff 10mm each side/flare guards 10mm or so to clear wider diff.

Internal fuel pump/Revised Fuel setup - sick of having surge tank in boot smelling the car up.

Short stroke front suspension - Probably some shorter koni's.

Brake upgrade front and rear - Mazda FC calipers up front. Unsure about rear.

Rust repairs - Evil cancer has shown its face in the driver door and under the fuel cap.

3S-GTE Build - Not sure if this will happen this year or more realistically be 06.

[Updated on: Tue, 11 January 2005 23:25]

gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Wed, 12 January 2005 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So much for trying to keep the car on the road for a while...

My list last year looked a lot like that, the only thing I managed to achieve though was to tidy up the trim a little and do a diff conversion and you know how that turned out. Mad

The rest of the time was spent breaking engines and dealing with the consequneces.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Wed, 12 January 2005 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm going to try to keep it on the road for the year. A lot of those jobs wouldn't require pulling it off the road for more than a day or 2..

The harder ones like brake upgrade, fuel system etc i'll be doing on the 'project ra28' so can do all the mucking around and once its complete just move the parts over to mine.

Last year was a shocker for me and car spent way too much time in parts. Will do my best this year not to let that happen Smile

But yeah, like you said often these lists sit dormant and look the same each year with nothing crossed off them Razz haha..

Cheers
Joel
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Wed, 12 January 2005 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboRA28 wrote on Wed, 12 January 2005 09:23

Window and door seals - Need to find something better than rarespares/spectrum's stuff isn't very good.

try sealrite up here in queensland

Sealrite
2/ 53 Ferry Rd Southport QLD 4215
ph: (07) 5591 7072
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Wed, 12 January 2005 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My mate has a set of RS-8 wheels which we tried on the Celica. I love them! Makes the Enkei's look quite average.

http://img138.exs.cx/img138/6784/rs8wheel0lv.jpg
http://img138.exs.cx/img138/2793/rs8wheel11hz.jpg

Thinking of painting the centre of Enkei's a gunmetal/black colour.

What everyone think? Shame pics were taken at night but you can see the idea.

Cheers
Joel
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Wed, 12 January 2005 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Beg, borrow, steal or buy his wheels, or a similar set!
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Sat, 22 January 2005 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I spent the whole of 10mins today making up this bracket for my video camera.

Thought it would be good for track days (will test it out at the upcoming WSID day).

http://img118.exs.cx/img118/7311/cameramount0rk.jpg

Also have taken the diff out to get the Torsen centre put in. Can't wait to drive it with the LSD in. Should make a big improvement I hope.

[Updated on: Sat, 22 January 2005 05:53]

TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Sat, 22 January 2005 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so you'll come to the drags on 16 Feb at WSID then? Razz
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Sat, 22 January 2005 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joel youll need to make some anti vibration dampners on that, and maybe brace the seat back as well, youll be suprised how much vibration they generate without someone sitting in it, use some soft rubber or foam between the mounting plate and camera and it will help absorb some of it
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Sun, 23 January 2005 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for that Michael, will take a trip down to Clarkes rubber and see what they have.

Cheers
Joel
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Mon, 24 January 2005 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

MMMM .... nice Enkeis Shocked
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Mon, 24 January 2005 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ya think? Compared to the Watanabe's??
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Mon, 24 January 2005 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Show me some fat Watanabes and I'm sure I'll change my mind. Razz

Edit: found them .... and love 'em! Any pictures of the dish?

[Updated on: Mon, 24 January 2005 05:54]

TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Mon, 24 January 2005 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I finished mounting the battery box tonight.

After much confusion and different ideas from people/engineers etc I finally decided on a method to mount it.

There is a metal tray in the bottom of the box that has bolts going through the floor.

I then have threaded rods hooking into the tray with a brace across the top of the battery holding it down.

This method seems the only one that an engineer will consider passing in NSW.

Here is a pic :

http://img191.exs.cx/img191/8819/batterybox4yg.jpg
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Tue, 25 January 2005 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mmmm LSD Smile

http://img170.exs.cx/img170/1743/torsencentre4yi.jpg

This is the Torsen Trutrac centre I got ages ago in a group buy. With the drags coming up it gave me a kick in the arse to get it installed.

Highly recommend Jmac out Blacktown way for diff work. Very good price & turn-around time!

Cheers
Joel
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Wed, 26 January 2005 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the gold28 has you intimidated again. Every time we line up for a race, you turn up with another piece of performance enhancing hardware. Am I jealous, too right I am. Confused Whens it going in????

I think I will be doing a diff centre swap this weekend, not beacause I have an LSD to put in it but because I don't think the one currently in it will cope with a hard launch. I upped the boost to 18psi and it sounds like it wants to drop its guts all over the road. Me in the celica when it all goes wrong.=> Razz Very Happy Evil or Very Mad Shocked Shocked Laughing Shocked Embarassed Sad
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Wed, 26 January 2005 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey mate , its actually already in Smile went in yesterday morning.

I have to do 800km or so of under 70km/h driving to allow the bearings to wear in.. Argh its shocking doing 70km on the F3. Ended up on the old pacific hwy instead so I wasn't holding everyone up.

Must rack up 800 km before the drags...

Good luck with your diff change man. Will you eventually swap to an F series?

Hmm 18psi thats getting scarey now! Will be a very interesting race I predict Smile
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Joel - 3T-GTE 1977 RA28 Celica Wed, 26 January 2005 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Man I bet that is gonna be the longest 800km you've ever done.

Yep the idea is to upgrade again and put an F in it. That was the original intention anyway.

The 18psi is a strange one. The gen 3 cut out at 16psi. When I put the old motor back in, I turned the boost down to about 12psi (the top end is a little worn) to be a bit gentler on it. I decided to put the boost back up to 15psi for the drags, turned the knob a little too far and it hit 18psi no problems. The only difference is the long motor, all the peripherals are the same.

I wonder if it is due to different cams between the two engines. Cos the gen 2 is definitly laggier than the gen3. Maybe the gen 2 just needs more pressure to make the same power/airflow.
Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:The Witzl's new car. UZS131 Crown
Next Topic:1977 RA28 Toyota celica - The Great Rebuild
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 00:16:30 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0105299949646 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.