Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Tue, 20 January 2004 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah Chris I know that story,

Ahhhh gather round my children and I will tell you a tale like no other.............. ahhhh screw that it's too long..... Twisted Evil

I hit full boost at about 3500rpm and it caries through to peak at about 6000rpm

[Edit:] yes SR TWINCAM be proud your thread just hit 2 pages Very Happy

[Updated on: Tue, 20 January 2004 02:48]

Send a private message to this user    
alwaysRA23
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Tue, 20 January 2004 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol its more like an ongoing saga these days! Smile

full boost at 3500! geez thats alright!

any plans for some extra go in the not so distant futute?

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Tue, 20 January 2004 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st165 will be a shade quicker with a little twisty knob of boost controllerness Wink

re the insurance thing - keep it as nice as possible - if they can see your only doing things like putting on nice wheels , maybe a sports muffler etc , they are cool ..

its when you start playing with suspension modifications + more power that they get grumpy ..

Im sure its somethign like 3 modifications - up to a certain level is allowed ..

Ie with my old ta22 - i was allwed to put a sports exhaust , better shockers and mags on it and they were fine .. that was with AAMI

The weber they said no to - But shannons picked up the tab - and let me go silly with the car. ( i was over 21 though so that helped )

The only modification they said no to was turboing the car

TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Tue, 20 January 2004 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh i am VERY VERY proud that the thread hit 2 pages, I got u guys to thank..... Smile Smile Smile Smile
I really appreciate your opinions!!!

Yeah i tried to keep the list of future modifications to short and simple...

Would they be alright with say exhaust (i heard they don't like engine mods at all??) just a decent 2" to a nice muffler, Looking at around $250ish for a decent sound?? Any recommendations for mufflers etc??

And yeah rear sway bar and just replacing the stock springs with king springs replacement ones, standard height maybe, coz i'm not sure if AAMI will allow lowering of the car..
And yeah I've got this thing for white cars and black rims, like 15" rims.. Does anyone have any suggestion for some non expensive rims? i was thinking second hand!

Regards to u all!!!
U guys make me proud to be a Toymods member ahahhaa
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Tue, 20 January 2004 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you could buy my Gt4 15 inch rims and paint them black Wink
got em going cheap too Smile
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Tue, 20 January 2004 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Tue, 20 January 2004 19:17

you could buy my Gt4 15 inch rims and paint them black Wink
got em going cheap too Smile

LOL, how do u paint em black etc???
Is it really difficult?
How much too??
what do they look like as well lol!
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Tue, 20 January 2004 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strip the clear coat using strippers , etch prime it - then hit it with gloss/matt/satin black enamel spraycan x a few coats Smile

you could even polish up the outer rim to give it that shiney effect Wink

Done
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Tue, 20 January 2004 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much ya lookin at for em?
And what do they look like?
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Tue, 20 January 2004 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=25600&rid=133&S=eb0aba418a311967d723cfee 361f21b9&pl_view=&start=0#msg_220194

pics are there - price is negotiable ..

wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Tue, 20 January 2004 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah Chris got some plans for extra go soon. waiting to put in my e150 gearbox, heavy duty ceramic clutch (still to buy) and while the engines out getting that done, I will look at a nice dump pipe (flog off that first cat Very Happy ) and once that is done, some boost control. Hoping to have this done before toynats, I think thats all my money will allow. ohh except fo some handling goodness in the form of new swaybars Wink

On my Insurance I have unlimited modification policy, just so long as I tell them about it, they don't mind, I am with just cars, they are the only people who would insure a 20yr old with a modified turbo car (especially for an engine conversion) Shocked
alwaysRA23
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Tue, 20 January 2004 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im 21 in a couple of days so celica will get some .... substantial modifications in the not tooo distant future.

but the only differance is, this isnt a turbo job like pretty much everyone does to their celica...
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Thu, 22 January 2004 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm just a bit concerned with Fuel economy from the 2 litre in comparision to the ae82 twincam...
The twincams are going for only $2000-$3000 at the moment too..

But its still a hard choice, i love the celica, and some of them have been going quite cheap too...

Regards
Adrian
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Thu, 22 January 2004 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If your worried about fuel economy - get a econobox charade or something with the motor of a whipper snipper ..

there wont be that much more juice drinking in favour of the celcia - if its tuned correctly and you dont leadfoot it around

the choice is still there - Econo-hatch ae82 - or sportscar celica ..What do you want ?

Either way youll have to sacrifice something ..
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Thu, 22 January 2004 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well This is the thing....
I'm liking the AE82 a bit too much... Since a while back now... And there is just something about Toyota Corollas (era of ae82 and ae92) that has always caught my eye, the ae82 are really cheap for what u get...

I still like the st-162s mind u, but I just like Hatches, and I've always had a dream of making a Hot Hatch... Also I am into lots of revs too, i love to hear an engine that loves to rev, its lots of fun...

This was my inital idea... (this will cause a bit of uproar with engine ideas hahahaha), I was thinking of getting the ae82 twincam hatch (just a decent one, no rust, average kms, good-very good condition) and yeah have some fun with that engine, and go from there.. But the little money I could save from fuel and insurance can go towards a possible conversion to either a 20 valve (which i'd LOVE to do, its not so much about speed i'm interested in, its overal response), or the possibility of a 4agze (goodbye insurance LOL!)....

But yeah I thought rear sway bar, Lower the shit out of it, get some nice AUSCAR 15's or something for em... Extractors (i'm hoping i could get some second hand), I could have some fun with cold air intake ideas etc...
Do stereo etc..

But yeah thank U everyone for ur opinions...
I'd still consider them as a later option though...
I would yeah still love to get ur guys opinions...

As mentioned, makes me proud to be a Toymods member (its a privilage not a right hahahaha)..
How much are those toymods stickers too?? (it wouldn't be rice or anything to put one on the back window???, thats one sticker i'd happily put on my car)
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Thu, 22 January 2004 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the sticker comes when you join toymods as a FINANCIAL member - not just a Forum member Smile

you do realise the st162 is a hatch as well dont you - just a stretched out smoother version Wink

a st162 will hold itsvalue better than a ae82 corolla , though you are limited in engine swaps ..

Still its your oppinion .. Seems like you were set on a st162 - as per your signature ..
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Thu, 22 January 2004 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Thu, 22 January 2004 20:03

the sticker comes when you join toymods as a FINANCIAL member - not just a Forum member Smile

you do realise the st162 is a hatch as well dont you - just a stretched out smoother version Wink

a st162 will hold itsvalue better than a ae82 corolla , though you are limited in engine swaps ..

Still its your oppinion .. Seems like you were set on a st162 - as per your signature ..

Yeah i know i was pretty set on the st-162...
But I just love the ae82s too much, especially the 4AGE motor, i also love the options on engines and the variety of parts...
Yeah the st-162 would keep its value more than the ae82, but yeah I feel i'd be happier with the ae82, I feel like its a real hatch as a pose to the liftback side of things Smile
But yeah Thanx anyway, with the engine too, i have a bit more variety (and its a bit cheaper in conversion too) with conversions... But yeah Please don't be dissapointed in me, its not like i'm going to a holden or something (although i do like VL commodores HAHAhA, just kiddin, i hate them LOL)....

Regards..
Adrian
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Thu, 22 January 2004 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you do realise if you want to race "common whores Mad " a corolla won't beat them at standard you'll have to do more work to them to make them win, while an celica on the other hand would beat a "common whore Mad " with ease
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Thu, 22 January 2004 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Wiso,
I know what ya mean. But still i like them a lot, Trust me i won't be racing anyone at the lights (i've only got 2 points left on my licence, its not worth trying to win a race, i've got 2 points left and I wanna make em last), I just found the ae82 twincam lots of fun to get to the speed limit, its fun to hold onto the revs etc...
I just like em ae82s too much... I still like the celicas mind u... I saw a sweet as one today... But yeah i just like the 1.6 litre 4ages, i looked at sprinters, but for the price of a sprinter with a 4age these days, u could easily buy a ae82 (or 2).
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Thu, 22 January 2004 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2 points left now, you had 3 a little while ago? How much longer you on your P's for?

Yeah sprinters are quite expensive now. blame Initial D, Everyone is a drift wanabe Laughing
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Thu, 22 January 2004 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wiso wrote on Thu, 22 January 2004 21:50

2 points left now, you had 3 a little while ago? How much longer you on your P's for?

Yeah sprinters are quite expensive now. blame Initial D, Everyone is a drift wanabe Laughing

Hey,
I've got 2 left, i've lost 3 LOL!!!

Yeah i hate that how they are so expensive lol!
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Sat, 24 January 2004 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok this is confusing,
I went past a ae82 twincam and wasn't too keen on the stock look, and i'd keep the first car stock for a bit...
I just wasn't too keen, and then i remembered why i liked the st-162 soo much, just the sportiness of it, cheap insurance ($401 from AAMI Third party fire theft) and just the overal SEXY look of it...

So yeah I'm sticking with the celica sx..
But yeah i'm a bit of a fussy spot about fuel economy, would u mind if I might be able to get this cleared up??
The last thing I wanted for a first car was a car that was gonna drink fuel like a fish (but a fish drinks water not fuel LOL), I was reading a wheels review that I have been given, and they say that the overal l/100km was like 10..
Which i thought wasn't too bad.
But thats like 600kms from the tank??
That isn't too bad..
But i was thinking a 2 litre with this power to weight ratio would be about 8 litres ish... in the review it had worse fuel economy than the mx6 turbo...
I can be a bit clueless about this fuel part..
My main query is whether it was gonna drink through petrol...
I'd be probably running optimax too (and there is those 4 cents off tickets too, we get em all the time)
Thanx for helping me out soooo much!
I really appreciate it everyone

Regards
Adrian
SR TWINCAM
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Sat, 24 January 2004 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The other option was the corolla SX, it looks newer than the ae82, and still has the sportiness and rev potential as the ae82...

I like em a fair bit too!!!
How would fuel economy be likebetween the ae92 sx and the celica?
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Sat, 24 January 2004 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude the celica's aren't all that bad on fuel economy, sure they get an average of 10L/100km if you drive carefully (grannystyle Laughing ) you can get it down to about the 8L mark.

A Corolla is probably about average 9L/100km, so man it's not a heck of a lot of difference, (but grannystyle Laughing in that would be about 7L).

Man you do realize that not many cars actually get 8L/100km, some 1.6L don't even manage that, so for a 2.0L 10L/100km is not really bad. my celica I used to get about 600km's off a tank around the city but I drove pretty hard, and about 750km's open road, but with the new 3SGTE, I am now lucky to get 400km Sad around the city, but score about 750-800km on the open raod Very Happy

Hey as Stuart said if you want fuel economy get a small car, my boss has a Dihatsu Mira, that gets about 5L/100kms off an incredibly weak 0.6L (660cc) engine Laughing that's what should get if you want economy, but if you want performance I don't recomend it.

As someone told me once (just after I swapped my engine) "you can't have performance and economy, you have to sacrifice one for the other, you just have to decide what you want more." Personally I chose performance.

[Updated on: Sat, 24 January 2004 14:49]

StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Sat, 24 January 2004 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
k, im gettin bout 450kms toa tank and thats doing a lot of start-stop trips, in fact i only ever do short trips, like 5 to 10 min rides, n thats giving it a fair bit of revs so the fuel economy ont he st162's is in fact quite good. I could probs even change the fuel filter n get a fair bit more out of it, plus mine is in one of the worste tunes states that i have ever heard....timings out, TPS is fukt n its not idling right, i even think the cat has collapsed so ud probs be doin fairly well with one in good nick dude. Plus front wheel drive = handbrake heaven!!!!
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Sun, 25 January 2004 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gee... Thats not bad at all lol!!
I thought it would be like really bad, maybe the wheels magazines just made it out to be a bit of a guzzler..
I've got nothing to worry about hahahahaha.
That was exactly what i wanted to hear..
There is really nothing between the 2 cars really... Being 4 cylinders they both use very little indeed...

But the thing is, I would get this car and be like taking off reasonably quick (well i seem to in the AE92 CS, well as reasonably quick as i can in that car UTTERLY GUTLESS LOL)
So I think i'll be quite zippy in the celica..

Thank you guys sooo much..
Yeah thanx for holdin onto the idea for me Wiso lol!!!
Yeah i'm definitely going for it now.. No changing my mind, i promise hahaha..
This job at Toyota is awesome, I hope i can get a few more shifts in the week and this car will be MINE LOL!!!

I've heard this and that about pod vs panel, but just as an idea i've herad some people doing panel filters, and then cutting the bottom piece of the filter (or even the sides), its supposed to give that pod type induction without the need of a pod... I'm wanting to do everything legal, and i've heard those pods are illegal unless enclosed (i didn't wanna have to get a pod box engineered and all that crap lol!!!

Regards
Adrian
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Sun, 25 January 2004 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok - better subtly knock some sense into ya !

DO NO CUT YOU GODDAMN AIRBOX UP!!

hows that sound ?

you dont need to chop it up " to get the pod sound "

All youll be doing is ruining a perfectly good airbox and sucking in HOT AIR into the motor and therefore effecting performance NEGATIVELY

performance comes from cold as possible air + fuel - NOT NOISE!

To get an effective means to induct nice cold air - do one this for example instead

Utilise an existing hole - that i think the st162 has right next to the airbox - leading INTO the airbox from the intake resonator .. An example looks like this - This is on my gt4 - it may vary a little with the 162

http://home.iprimus.com.au/utahraptor/gt4_pics/gt4mod2a.jpg

See the hole under the fender the piping goes into ?

on mine its a 50mm inlet leading straight into the airbox..

With a decent panel filter ( K and N or equivelent ) you will have plenty of nice cooler air being drawn into the motor.

As for miliage .. I get at least 650KM out of my Gt4 on highway cycle , and around 450km in town driving .. Thats carrying more weight than a st162 as well , so milage shouldnt be a problem ..

You cant have " run on the smell fo an oily rag " if you intend to drive zippy ..

Put the foot down - youll use more fuel ..

Drive smoothly - youll use less - its VERY simple.

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Sun, 25 January 2004 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stuart.

Thank you

Very Happy
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Sun, 25 January 2004 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah thought so..
I was thinking the same thing, air is just being sucked in, defeating the point of the CAI....

Yeah I'll use one of those

I understand about the fuel economy etc.. it would be impossible for the fuel to stay the same if ur driving the car really hard etc...

Did u have a nice induction noise from the mod?
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Sun, 25 January 2004 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
noise wise all i hear is the turbo spooling up which is a quiet whooshing noise - and the sound of the exhaust which is quite loud ( 3 inch dump pipe/midpipe/cat into 2.5 inch straight thru system with sports muffler )

pods IMHO are gay - Uber gay ( EDIT: if just there for noise and not boxed ).. A decent exhaust sounds better if your looking for sound

[Updated on: Sun, 25 January 2004 04:04]

TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Sun, 25 January 2004 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey,
I'm not keen on pods myself, But I just thought since the indtake is a cheap modification which doesn't effect the insurance, i could do it and get something to listen to as u rev etc...

Thanx again!
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Tue, 03 February 2004 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If u guys don't mind, I'd love ur opinion on the toyota corolla ae93 SX hatch/seca???
I really like the 4age engine, it would be a nice car...
Its just an idea...
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Tue, 03 February 2004 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are you starting that shit up again, I thought you were now firm on the idea of getting the celica, you even said
Quote:

"you were a celica person, it just took you a little while to realise it."
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Tue, 03 February 2004 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
phhhh!!! what are you THINKING!

why buy a 4age when you can buy a 3sge? Mad Very Happy

seriously though

They are a good car man. My opinion is nice and quick (as quick as my celica used to be before all my mods and quicker than a stock one)

but they are square and 4 door kinda shopping trolly car Razz so I guess it depends what you want really. A car designed as a sports car or 'sporty' car that is designed as a daily ladies get around with things like 4 doors n stuff....
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Tue, 03 February 2004 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but I am sick of talking in circles. shut up and buy a celica. Laughing Laughing Cool

less time talking more time buying a celica Smile Razz
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Tue, 03 February 2004 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ohh I'm sticking with the st-162 no problem,
I was just interested in what u guys thought of em..
I am definitely fixed on the celica though

Rob: hahaha Ur posts funny... Smile

Thanx though...

Regards!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Tue, 03 February 2004 23:59 Go to previous message
Opinion: They are inferior to an ST162 Smile Nuff said Razz
Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Do I need to remove engine to fix water pump?
Next Topic:1jz - order of mods?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 16:09:31 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010325193405151 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.