Toymods » General Car Talk » ST162 dedicated thread

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 20 December 2004 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MDF parcel shelves are great! sturdy, and if well made, the boot itself provides a bit of a 'box' effect.

about the door, check a) all the linkages (try comparing with the other side) and b) is all the electric stuff plugged in ok?

Rob Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
Edwin 3S-GTE
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 25 December 2004 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys, I took some new high-res pictures of my ST162 which I thought would be cool to share with you. The car itself is almost ready for sale now. Just needs to get tested and approved for road worthiness. The muffler has be replaced soon but I'm going to let the next owner do that. Other than that, it's good to go! It's got a stock 3S-GE engine in it again, running very smoothly. Gearbox is great as well, has never been more smooth than now!
Although it sure will feel weird to see it go (after having worked on it for about 5 years, of which I actually drove it for about half a year Shocked ) I'll be glad when it's gone as well. Can't wait to start my next project, an MR2 Turbo.
Well. Here are some pics, the rest can be seen on http://www.tccn.nl/st162, in the last update...

http://www.tccn.nl/st162/deel70/DSC05736%20copy.jpg

http://www.tccn.nl/st162/deel70/DSC05745%20copy.jpg

http://www.tccn.nl/st162/deel70/DSC05749%20copy.jpg
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 27 December 2004 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got off my arse and took some picys of the 6.5in door pods and my CELICA door inserts

http://home.austarnet.com.au/parton/celica/118-1889_IMG_(croped).jpg

http://home.austarnet.com.au/parton/celica/118-1890_IMG_(croped).jpg

http://home.austarnet.com.au/parton/celica/118-1891_IMG_(croped).jpg

I think i figured what that knock sound was i took off my wheels today to paint my calipers...red....and i had a look the nuts and shit of the control arm cause it sides lateral the sound of the knock and it made the knock after the swap bars and i forgot to say my control arm (front and rear) bushes got replaced!... and to my OMG ness i found the front bush nut (big 7/8 inch nut) of the control arm was 5mm lose and my figure could play around with it and i went these arm ment to be like BULLSHIT tight on. so i got out the 15in break bar wrench and tighten her up...i'm yet to drive her to see cause i haven't painted the other caliper yet so i'll get back to you all's!

Nezza Cool

[Updated on: Mon, 27 December 2004 13:48]

doobs
Regular

September 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 29 December 2004 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ey all,

Well the poor Celica is in the workshop again, this time for some panel work, thanx to some fucker in a truck.

I was driving down the hwy, behind 2 cars, now a truck pulled out in front of the first car, they locked up their brakes, and so did the car in front, I had no time to stop, and when I tried the brakes went soft, so I pulled off to the side onto some grass, the arse slipped out and I hit a sign.

Over $1000 damage to my car, nothing to anyone else, the truck speed off so I was left with the bill. As you can imagine I am slightly pissed off.

Fucken rooted my new potenza too, but well at least I missed the car, with no brakes. Best of all im still alive

Cheers fellas

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 29 December 2004 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Edwin, I so love your celica! if Only you were in Australia! Wink

I can't believe that you took it back to standard internals.. I can't wait for your next project!

Well doobs, it seems it is accident time right now... this happenned to me today, Shannons are footing the bill however *phew*

Should look better than ever when it's done, but I have to be without my car! *sniff*

http://www.roblincolne.com/pix/DSC05555.jpg

http://www.roblincolne.com/pix/DSC05556.jpg
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 29 December 2004 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bad timing on the accidents! Best of luck getting it sorted out boys.

I had a run in with the police last week and got defected for my exhaust noise and unsecured pod filter.

I took the car to an exhaust place and talked to them about my options. I never realised it before but the previous owner put a 2.25" exhaust system in and a cannon exhaust on the back, with no resonator, silencer or anything like that. All the work was done by the previous owner and I had been wondering why it was so loud...

Anyway, after getting defected, I went and got an 18" resonator put into the system, which helped a bit, but the cannon was still acting like a trumpet for the exhaust, so in the interest of road worthiness, it had to go. I got a Lukey Turbo muffler put in and in combination with the resonator, it's a new car.

I can actually hear the engine over the exhaust now! The added back pressure means the car is more responsive in the low end and also it vibrates less as well.

My next stop is to secure the pod filter (mount it up on a bracket) and then take it over the pits. I'm not anticipating anything else being wrong...
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 29 December 2004 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Edwin...I'm sure you would have a queue here in Aus to buy that car of yours. AWESOME.

Rob & Doobs. this time of year is terrible for accidents and I have decided against registering my car till the new year for that reason. I am sure your 162's will be back better than ever. Smile

buck. better to install standard airflow meter and box to get the car over the pits without too much scrutiny.

BTW happy new year. Very Happy

Karl

buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 29 December 2004 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Karl, I would except it was done by the previous owner, so I'd have to go get one from a wrecker and then install it... My defect notice only asks that it is secured, so I'm hoping it will be fine.

Not sure how scrupilous they are about the car as a whole. I know my windscreen water pump doesn't really work and the bracket I made for the filter is a bit ghetto Smiley =

I did some tests on my car tonight. I'm running 0-100 in 10.65 (ran it twice), which is a bit of a bummer. I was running 9.4 with the cannon exhaust. (All times with almost no clutch, no dumping, and conservative shifting).

Although the bottom end feels great (much better response) with the new muffler, it seems the top end has suffered. Since I got the 18" resonator AND the muffler done at the same time, I'm not sure which one is more responsible.

EDIT: Got a couple of dodgy photos:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v414/jledley/Stuff/Cars/P1229_163658.jpgNew muffler with temporary tip.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v414/jledley/Stuff/Cars/P1229_163601.jpg18" Resonator on 2.25" system

[Updated on: Wed, 29 December 2004 15:23]

Edwin 3S-GTE
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 29 December 2004 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the comliments! What do you guys think would be a reasonable price to ask for it (if it was located in Australia)?
doobs
Regular

September 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 29 December 2004 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ey all,

Bad luck rob, I know the feeling, I want her back already.

Kudos to AAMi for there extremly quick service, car is already there being assessed.

Thanx for the support fella's much appreciated.

cheers\
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 29 December 2004 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, I can't get a beater till next year, so I guess I have to drive her bent face around for a week or so first

Quote:

Thanks for the comliments! What do you guys think would be a reasonable price to ask for it (if it was located in Australia)?

So it's got a schmick interior, paintjob, newish engine, bodykit, wheels

6.5 - 7.5k? too much more puts me in GT-Four territory. 4.5k is the general going rate for stocko good condition 162s around here atm

I dunno.. guys?
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 30 December 2004 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think Rob is pretty much on the mark. but I would probably be leaning more towards 6-6.5K .

but then again . where do you find one so shmick.

Karl Cool
doobs
Regular

September 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 30 December 2004 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobST162 wrote on Thu, 30 December 2004 10:57

yeah, I can't get a beater till next year, so I guess I have to drive her bent face around for a week or so first

Quote:

So it's got a schmick interior, paintjob, newish engine, bodykit, wheels

6.5 - 7.5k? too much more puts me in GT-Four territory. 4.5k is the general going rate for stocko good condition 162s around here atm

I dunno.. guys?

I'd say your right on the mark
Rabsy86
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 30 December 2004 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Edwin
WOW... Thats a nice celica you got there... Love the colure... Im actually thinking of respraying mine.... And 3S-GE_Man I love your door trims... Where abouts did you get the fromm....

And guys... Im missing buttons for my Driver side Eletric windows buttons.... if any one in sydney got any Pm me.. Thanks... Smile

[Updated on: Thu, 30 December 2004 05:12]

3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 30 December 2004 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Rabsy86 i just replaced the shity carpet with nice black vinel...but before stickign the black vinel on i took it to the local shopping center with thoes cheap hat and shirt computer sewing place and i got a sample of the celica font and shit....and said exactly were and how big to do it and u see the finial result...I love them and i've had them for ages!

Nezza Cool
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 30 December 2004 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi guys,
Gotta a few questions to ask! Firstly what do you guys think of carbon fibre bonnets? I am enquiring about one to be made in standard shape but left in the CF colour on an otherwise white 162. Photos of my car are up on one of the previous pages.
Also, does anyone have tips for an aftermarket computer, ie what is best and/or a good piggyback system. my car has issues and i think it would run THAT much better with new computer.
Answers/tips would be appreciated
Cheers guys
djcougar
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 30 December 2004 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CF is shit, not unless your going for serious performance and mainly track work, for daily driving i really wouldnt suggest it because if a accident ever comes around the CF bonnet will just crumble and you'll be totally fucked
Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 31 December 2004 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey all,

my whiteline swaybars are finally in, and im looking at installing them myself. does anyone have a write up on how to do this, and anything i have to be carefull of.

will post up the final results and improvements over tired and worn stock suspension
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 01 January 2005 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Talk to Adrian, TRD-162 on here i think? He did his a few months ago. Or you could get the haynes manual, its got pictures an everything. The rear is pretty easy, but the front looks like a biatch of a job.
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 01 January 2005 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah back is pretty simple and fronts really suck arse.Thats why i chose not to get one! On another topic, i got new tyres yesterday.Im now runnning on 205/50/15 Yokohama a539s. took them for a great run down to Walkerville(Wilsons Prom) and back.Nice twisty country roads!Nice and stable and no understeer.Twas great! Plus i now sit back at standard ride height instead of being jacked up! Next on to do list, tuesday the Gt4 brakes finally go on up front and im gonna start sanding back ready for spraying.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 02 January 2005 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey y'all - I'm coming back to the ways of the ST162, I'm pretty burnt on the ST165 (seeing as it's already been back to the importers 3 times in 4 months) so I'm going to sell it once the latest 'issue' is fixed and I'm going to finally get back in the seat of a now very-neat ST162.

Check the Cars for Sale section if you want the ST165 but remember that any car as complex (and as old) as a 165 is going to have a fairly annoying upkeep - I don't care how well the previous or current owner treats it. So yeah, yay the 162!!!

Will come back with more news about how the 162 is going soon enough!

Oh yeah, and this thread is way too long.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 02 January 2005 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And a CF bonnet is shit, and will just crumple? Actually, CF is quite strong and is very capable of absorbing a crapload of the energy of impact. Okay, sure the thing will crumple and it will be a mess but it won't be any *less* safe than your average steel bonnet. It is bloody expensive though, and I wouldn't spend the money on it, but hey go for it if that's what you want.
drft spec - st167
Regular

November 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 03 January 2005 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im going to fit driving lights , small rectangle ones on my car. i assume i fit them where my toe hooks r because there is a mounting bracket there. but it looks like i will have to remove my front toe hooks, any ideas?

has ne body done this before?
andyC
Newcomer

January 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 03 January 2005 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am considering a 3S-GTE conversion for my 162. anyone out there who has done this- i need some advice. i can pick up the GT4 halfcut for about 2000-2500. would it be better to take the time to do the work myself or should i leave it to the professionals? any estimates of a final cost would be appreciated.
Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 03 January 2005 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have followed the instructions on the haynes manual and we have tried to install the rear swaybar. but we have removed all bolts and cannot see a way to remove the bar from the car without taking the muffler and fuel line off.

PLEASE HELP!
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 03 January 2005 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would actually rather buy someone elses job on this are there are a few around for sale atm
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 03 January 2005 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it cost me about 3600....i did the wiring and had very good and very cheap hlep from my local moblie mechanic...so for normal person add 1000!

This the linky to the excel sheet of the cost break down!
http://home.austarnet.com.au/parton/cost%20of%20th e%20st185%20conversion.xls

Nezza Cool
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 03 January 2005 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well I decided to get stuck into the 3SGTE conversion last week and have posted it in members rides. here is the link guys. give us an opinion , ill keep udating when things are happening. Very Happy

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=55499&rid=5064&S=fccc9aa3fc7f780d98d6f0d 55f521721

Karl
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 03 January 2005 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buy an MA61 instead
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 04 January 2005 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

buy an MA61 instead

which as we all know is really a celica
Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 04 January 2005 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay, well without the help of anyone here, i managed to install the rear swaybar. was a pain trying to remove it, because we had to remove the muffler. Sounds absolutely beastly without one tho.

the car has very worn and tired shocks n springs, and the difference in handling was amazing, considering the car oversteered the first roundabout i took. that was a huge shock.

i have taken pictures and will do a writeup later on. but hopefully tonight i will be installin the front swaybar!
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 04 January 2005 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
an oversteering 162!! well well...

Quote:

Okay, well without the help of anyone here, i managed to install the rear swaybar. was a pain trying to remove it, because we had to remove the muffler. Sounds absolutely beastly without one tho.

now now.. no need to get get mattitude on us Very Happy i think the ONLY person here who has done this switch is Adrian (cant remember his forum's name since he changed it, 'trd-celica' or 'trd-162' or something)

I will really look forward to reading your write up though mate as I am keen to do this myself! Thanks for boldly going! Wink
Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 04 January 2005 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobST162 wrote on Tue, 04 January 2005 09:55

an oversteering 162!! well well...

Quote:

now now.. no need to get get mattitude on us Very Happy i think the ONLY person here who has done this switch is Adrian (cant remember his forum's name since he changed it, 'trd-celica' or 'trd-162' or something)

I will really look forward to reading your write up though mate as I am keen to do this myself! Thanks for boldly going! Wink

i was as shocked as you.... tempted to leave the front bar off and go drifting............. or not

apparently the front bar is easier tho so lets hope it comes off a little easier
R-Lo
Regular

April 2004
icon6.gif  Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 04 January 2005 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whooah... finally got through reading this thread, i can't believe how big it is! Just thought i'd like to say g'day to everyone who owns a st-162 or varient/s.
I have owned an 88 red celica for about 2 years now, no big drama's, but unlike most of yours, it has a boot. Which is kinda why i bought it, cause it looks different. My dad has the hatch version which i use for DJ'in and I can fit a whole setup in there no worries (include 3 JBL eons).
It's lowered with Kings, Has a doof doof system, snap-on seat covers, mags, 2 1/4 zorst, plus more, so its a good deal ricey which is the way i like it, cars seem too damn bland these days.

Anyways, I just installed a bonnet scoop and was wondering whether I should paint in black, dorrifto style, i reckon it looks schweet.

I am also very interested in installing that rear swaybar everyones talking bout, as I have MASSIVE understeer in my car. very lucky to still be alive after last nite!

Will post pics soonish...

djcougar
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 04 January 2005 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so far r-lo, cant wait to see pics of this car of yours.
kenevill
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 05 January 2005 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey sorry if people have asked this before but i dont come on here that often and im too lazy/tired to search through to see if its been posted before... anyways.. how oil does the engine take and the gearbox? also how many peeps have trouble with second crunching and will re-oiling the gearbox help with this a bit.. oh and also coolant. thanks a lot
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 05 January 2005 19:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looking at Karl / Warrior's 3SGTE project pictures has got me thinking...

With all that space underneath the popup headlights, would it be feasible to mount an air intake under the left hand side headlight?

Aside from cosmetics, are there any reasons why it wouldn't work?

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v293/warrior007/nofront.jpg
djcougar
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 05 January 2005 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kenevill wrote on Thu, 06 January 2005 01:38

hey sorry if people have asked this before but i dont come on here that often and im too lazy/tired to search through to see if its been posted before... anyways.. how oil does the engine take and the gearbox? also how many peeps have trouble with second crunching and will re-oiling the gearbox help with this a bit.. oh and also coolant. thanks a lot

in regards to filling up oils, its just as easy to put a bit in at a time and continully check the dipstick till it says full.

second gear crunching is not due to lack of oil, it is a syncro gone bad (very common fault in st162) many different options to take on this one, recondition your gearbox, buy an import gearbox because it isnt a common fault on the import st162 gb, only the aussie spec
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 05 January 2005 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buck naked wrote on Thu, 06 January 2005 06:47

With all that space underneath the popup headlights, would it be feasible to mount an air intake under the left hand side headlight?

That's where my intake pipe is! Very Happy

And Kenevill -> change the gearbox oil.there's a drain plug on the bottom near the front. by changing to a good quality oil (don't ask me which one,i'm researching this ATM too) and possibly adding a gearbox additive should definately help free up the syncro's a bit. i'd try this before ripping out the g/box.

[Updated on: Wed, 05 January 2005 22:28]

warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 05 January 2005 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buck naked wrote on Thu, 06 January 2005 06:47

its a great idea buck, and you could do it in a way that it doesnt affect anything cosmetically. drill and then file.

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v293/warrior007/0041.jpg

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v293/warrior007/0051.jpg
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 06 January 2005 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice karl, very nice.. might follow suit Wink

Quote:

the common "fix" for the ST162 is to use ATF in the box once they get old, if not, use VMX80 or something, however this is a common problem, and once it's got bad you just have to make it as driveable as possible (ATF) till you get it fixed/replaced
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 06 January 2005 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey rob it was the #1 piston btw.

Regarding oil in 3S engines, don't wind up like me -> never ever drive your car even remotely hard if you aren't 100% positive that it is full of oil. As soon as you start pushing hard around a corner or *especially* when braking you will end up with big end bearings getting worn to shit and ruined and if you are really unlucky (like me) facing a whole engine rebuild.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 06 January 2005 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Regarding oil in 3S engines, don't wind up like me -> never ever drive your car even remotely hard if you aren't 100% positive that it is full of oil. As soon as you start pushing hard around a corner or *especially* when braking you will end up with big end bearings getting worn to shit and ruined and if you are really unlucky (like me) facing a whole engine rebuild.

agreed.

I find particularly on hard right-handers this is the case. (#1 starvation) Even if it is 60% full I notice surging on hard cornering. I almost always make sure I am between 90 and 105% full.

I want to keep the old girl ticking over as long as I can. 230,000ks and still going hardcore Very Happy

Edit: the 3SGE's are not the only one to have #1 go first however.

[Updated on: Thu, 06 January 2005 04:27]

3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 06 January 2005 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i fucked the number 1 big end....

and it was from it burning so much oil that i just forgot to look at it every 3 days and i still reved her out to 6500-7000...young and dumb...

Nezza Cool
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 06 January 2005 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hear SR20s have a similar issue with crank oilway design.

As far as protecting your engine against it aside from keeping oil WELL full - baffles is a start - aside from that I don't know but a high-flow oil pump would be a really nice idea although who knows if they are (cheaply) available for 3S-GEs/GTEs. Also I'm not a huge fan of the oil pick-up design, because it's essentially flat so it only picks up oil directly underneath -> it'd be nice if it had some provision for picking up laterally as well.

I don't know if there's much you can do to stop the crank starving the #1 though around corners.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 06 January 2005 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah I intend to baffle and trap-door my sump sometime in the next 6 months (as much as is possible anyway - I gotta see what it's like when I take it off first and see what options I have

this should dramatically improved reliable oil delivery all round I hope
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 06 January 2005 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm.. that really sucks about the oil starvation thing. as if toyota didn't design it better Rolling Eyes
well atm for some fucked up reason my car is burning oil like no tomorrow!!i've used an estimated 300mls in about 500kms!i just replaced my dissy o-ring seal, but there seems to be oil all over the back of the motor, leaking down onto the g/box and driveshafts.my engine idle seems to be really erratic aswell.when i put my clutch in from high revs, the idle dips to about 300-400rpm (like its about to stall)for 1 second, then it jumps back up to 900 as per..
This car is shitting me to tears fellas!!

"if its not one thing, its the other.. Rolling Eyes "
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 06 January 2005 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rob -> you've never taken the sump off before?
Seriously...go do it now, do it.

do it.
kenevill
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 06 January 2005 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks, ive already bought manual tranny oil of some kind, but i plan on getting a new box sometime when i get the money. also pumping the clutch in nuetral helps synchros so that should keep it lasting for a tad longer. edwin your car is hot dude, but for the work u put in i can't see why you'd sell it spesh seeing its left hand drive Confused anyways.. peace out
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 06 January 2005 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Rob -> you've never taken the sump off before?
Seriously...go do it now, do it.

do it.

why? is it EXCITING!? I have just never had a reason to.. Smile
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 07 January 2005 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually you'd be surprised how well designed the sump is for the most part.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 07 January 2005 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wonder though why it allows surging and allows the oilpump to get a mouthful of air on a hard-right?
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 07 January 2005 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Broz.... guess what?

I'm returning to the 162 family ... .wooohooo...

Story:
I flew over to japan during the christmas break, took a look at the skyline, thought it over in 2 days, and sold it Very Happy

After a week there, i finally came back to aust, took a real good througout look at my car, and practically knocked myself out about how stoopid i was trying to sell it.

Anyways, she is STAYING with me for her life... Very Happy

ill need to fix up the bits starting soon, then hopefully i can start putting better parts on it Very Happy

1st mod will be biger brakes Very Happy
djcougar
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 07 January 2005 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
awesome to hear (again) choppin.
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 07 January 2005 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rob, i have a sump sitting in my mum's garage so i'll ty and get some photos of it tomorrow night for ya-Although im probs gonna have to take my current one off again too-i think i've threaded the sump plug or something.Its leaking heaps and its the 2nd time this has happened.Im soooo pissed off.

Aust162-Its probs your crankcase seal gone.Mine does that too.I've had it replaced once and cleaned out but i think its splitting/leaking slightly.Either that or its my intake or back of head gasket, plus power steering...meh, i cant tell anymore!! Get it in the air and have a good look, it also helps if its washed down so u can see where new oil is pooling.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 07 January 2005 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Rob, i have a sump sitting in my mum's garage so i'll ty and get some photos of it tomorrow night for ya-Although im probs gonna have to take my current one off again too-i think i've threaded the sump plug or something.Its leaking heaps and its the 2nd time this has happened.Im soooo pissed off.

thanks mate I appreciate that. Don't worry too much though because I have that spare 3SGE from Warrior here at home that I am going to rebuild and I will get a good sump inspection when i take that apart Wink As that would likely be the sump I modify. Hey does anyone reckon there would be sump differences between the series 1 and 2 3SGEs in ST162s? Bit of a far out question.. but just wondering..

About the sump I would do these things in this order a) try a nice fibre washer b) try a different plug c) last resort.. change sump Sad
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 07 January 2005 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not sure that it's pick-up related though! At least in regards to what happens to the big end bearings, I think it's more related to the design of the oil-ways in the block/crank, somehow it's starving the start of the oil run (#1) on RH corners.

Although I have noticed the head can tick a little on hard cornering but my oil was low Sad

Rob -> have you ever had your head off to be cleaned out etc? My 162 never ticked badly thru corners like the 165 did but I had the whole head acid bathed/cleaned/recod/everything except new valves/cams (which I might do anyway money pending).
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 07 January 2005 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
coolios, im on my 2nd sump already Sad there is a diff between gen 1 + 2 sumps 2.there are some studs in place of holes and vice versa...doe sthat make sense?im pretty sure mines a gen2 and as far as i could tell they were the same, but then again i didnt really take much notice when i changed em over.i was too busy tryiung not to get gasket goo al over me.

oh, and the plug sizer is also different-both on the head and thread

[Updated on: Fri, 07 January 2005 06:50]

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 07 January 2005 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
StuC wrote on Fri, 07 January 2005 17:49

coolios, im on my 2nd sump already Sad there is a diff between gen 1 + 2 sumps 2.there are some studs in place of holes and vice versa...doe sthat make sense?im pretty sure mines a gen2 and as far as i could tell they were the same, but then again i didnt really take much notice when i changed em over.i was too busy tryiung not to get gasket goo al over me.

oh, and the plug sizer is also different-both on the head and thread

urgh.. darn. Was hoping I could spec up one and then swap them over. oh well.

Stephen, I have never had my head done like you suggest. You are saying that you had the whole head done on the 162 and that maybe my issues is oil restriction in the head itself which is exacerbated when the pump looses a little pressure around corners?
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 07 January 2005 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
maybe Smile I'm suggesting it's possible - that's all!

I'm late for work...
Pages (63): [ «  <  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: '76 Corona MKII
Next Topic:Old photos
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 16 14:39:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.022814035415649 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.