Toymods » General Car Talk » ST162 dedicated thread

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 07 January 2005 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stuc =>thanks for the tips. Smile i'll be pretty upset if its the crankcase seal, because that was meant to be replaced when the motor was put in.. Rolling Eyes
I had it jacked up the other day and was checking it out with a torch, 1st i thought it could be the back of the rocker cover, put it seems to be lower than that, then i saw the dissy was leaking so i got a new o-ring for that. i was hoping it was just the dissy, but the leak is pretty serious and still there. its not pooling on the ground at all.hmmm..

so i thought, maybe its burning it and leaking it.becuase its dissapearing pretty quick!
My mate's always tell me that "ur car blows a shit load of smoke", and i would just say 'its running really rich", which it is. well today i gave it a few hard revs, up to 6k and it was blowing a heap of black smoke(unburnt fuel), but also some blue smoke Surprised , not cool... Mad Sad

stupid car..

Edit: Oooaah shit! page ownage Razz

[Updated on: Fri, 07 January 2005 09:42]

Send a private message to this user    
Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 08 January 2005 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey all, new update.

front swaybar is now in... was a pooload easier to install than the rear bar. only problem is that the bar bends a little differently than the stock one and fittng it on the bushings in the stock location took a bit of forcing, other than that, the car handles like a dream now, especially with fornicated springs and shocks. can't wait to change those.

on a similar note, i have purchased my new alpine stereo system, and am currently undergoing custom fabrication of everything.

Engineering a box to fit a 12 inch sub with proper dimensions with the desired shape, WHILE still getting the spare tyre out, is so much of a challenge, but i am close to finding a solution.

deck is already installed, and we have made a 6mm mdf parcel tray that is a shitload stronger and way lighter than the stock tray with an 18mm mdf board behind it, that the audio installers last time around made. so the rear speakers are in.

next task is sub box design and fabrication, then its onto trying to mount 6.5" splits in the front, which im thinking is more difficult than it sounds, especially with power windows. then its juts basic wiring and i am set with a f00133 51k doof doof sound system.

will keep you fools updated, and post up some pics when i have the time.

cliff notes: both sway bars installed, purchesed sounds system - some parts installed.

[Updated on: Sat, 08 January 2005 00:09]

Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 08 January 2005 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i also have another problem.

i was in the market looking for a nice set of 5 spoke 17 inch rims. but found there was absolutley nothing in the market, and the few rims that were the right stud pattern and offset were either $1800+ and/or just plane looked shit.
appparently we have a rare stud pattern and offset which makes finding decent rims a task and 3/4 Razz.

any suggestions on the matter are appreciated.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 08 January 2005 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(anal_retentive)
Aust162 -> black smoke isn't unburnt fuel...unless your fuel is black, although last I checked mine was mostly colourless Very Happy

Black smoke is carbon - it's the result of an unbalanced chemical reaction and it also means that if nothing else at least you are getting reasonably complete combustion.

(/anal_retentive)
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 08 January 2005 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I put an ST162 back onto the road last night, that I bought damaged several months ago, to drive up to a friend's house in the country (200Km round trip). This car is fitted with a 1993 MR2 motor, and was an absolute pearler to drive. Only downside to the whole trip was the front shocks - they're stuffed - I porpised up and back all night and gave a Falcon driver the coming the other way a scare when the car wouldn't turn in like I expected in a 110Km/h LH sweeping bend.

I find myself this morning thinking of an ST165 to play with in future, so impressed was I with even the saggy ride, of this car.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 08 January 2005 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Take my busted one for $5000, please!!!
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 08 January 2005 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm, tempting, but after freight and then repair, I don't think it would be worth it at the moment unfortunately.
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 08 January 2005 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDboy wrote on Sat, 08 January 2005 13:15

(anal_retentive)
Aust162 -> black smoke isn't unburnt fuel...unless your fuel is black, although last I checked mine was mostly colourless Very Happy

Black smoke is carbon - it's the result of an unbalanced chemical reaction and it also means that if nothing else at least you are getting reasonably complete combustion.

(/anal_retentive)

Sorry, i'm slow, but r u saying i'm Anal??? btw, do you think its normal for mr2/gt4's to blow a little bit of blue smoke at high rpm? (5.5k+)
most likely be worn turbo seals etc. taking in to consideration the age of the motor.

The i'm running stock boost levels and i found out that i can build 5,6psi by reving the car in neutral!is that cool?or normal?

Also about same time the car started its oil consumption BS, its also started backfiring and "popping" in between gear changes.maybe its related, i dont know??

cheers Smile
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 08 January 2005 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No I'm the one that's being anal retentive...actually I'm being pedantic.

Blue smoke isn't normal, although I guess the engine has never been reco'd - alot of toyota engines have 'thin' rings in them from factory so as to not wear the bores down at any great rate so generally speaking the engines don't last more than 200,000K before needing re-ringing (hey it's better than having to re-bore the thing, get oversize pistons, oversize bearings etc etc and then binning the engine after 300,000k because it can't be bored out anymore).

5-6psi isn't easy when free revving, the engine is usually under very light load - and popping/banging sounds very reminiscent of fuel being dumped into the turbocharger and/or poorly tuned engine.

And I'm too drunk/tired to continue...
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 09 January 2005 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
here it is boys!

car off to panelbeater tomorrow (post truck-crushing-front-of-car 'incident')

will return with this fitted Very Happy

http://roblincolne.com/pix/DSC05874.jpg

my greatest thanks to Karl (warrior) for grabbing this off a truck for me when he spotted it. seriously way too kind - thanks mate

I try and fix ya up with some $$$$ parts purchases this week huh Wink
djcougar
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 09 January 2005 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i thought it looked familer

i thought karl was going to fit this to his car
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 09 January 2005 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey how the hell do you get the front bumper off of the ST162? do you have to get the headlights out, I'm having a bit o' trouble with it - it's not that I don't mind taking the front end to bits if I have to, I'm just wondering if I'm missing something.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 09 January 2005 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djcougar wrote on Sun, 09 January 2005 19:19

i thought it looked familer

i thought karl was going to fit this to his car

Karl has one for his car, this is another one he found!

Stephen. I do not know! I haven't taken mine off yet, but I will consult my manual. Would you like me to type up what the manual says about removing it?
djcougar
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 09 January 2005 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobST162 wrote on Sun, 09 January 2005 23:26

Karl has one for his car, this is another one he found!

bitchin!!
lucky man!
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 09 January 2005 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rob -> I think I've got it sussed, only two bolts to go on the front bumper (I think) but they are hiding right underneath the headlights. Of course, I could be wrong and there's some easier way...guess I'll only know when i finally get the f^&$%ng thing off.
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 10 January 2005 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its quite easy to remove the front bar...just take off the front splitter (spoiler) and remove the two 17mm long bolts, after that all you have to do is pull it off from the sides and your done.

and I didnt get rid of my ST165 bar...but stumbled across this one while searching for other parts for the 3SGTE conversion.

Rob...u gotta be the luckiest bloke...he got his cheaper than mine Crying or Very Sad

Karl Cool
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 10 January 2005 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there's just two 17mm bolts? where the?
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 10 January 2005 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDboy wrote on Mon, 10 January 2005 21:43

there's just two 17mm bolts? where the?

u have to lay under the car to see them. they live on the end of the chassis rails, they are about 200mm long.

Karl
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 10 January 2005 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
btw FWDboy on your ST165 do your spot lights on your front bar come on when you turn on the high beams or they activated by a seperate switch...if they are activated by a seperate switch could you tell me where the swich is located in the cabin, so I can look for the wires.

thanks mate.

Karl
Rabsy86
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 10 January 2005 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey warrior... Ill buy that black front skirt off yeah sometime dis week.... And rob you reakon you can fit it for me.. If you got the time Wink

[Updated on: Mon, 10 January 2005 12:12]

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 10 January 2005 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Umm - so there's just two bolts on the 162 to take the front bar off?

Wierd...
As for the fog lights, I have no idea man as they got taken off the car before I got my hands on it, and furthermore my GT4 is at a workshop anyway Sad
Edwin 3S-GTE
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 10 January 2005 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know it's a bit off-topic for now, but I just uploaded some photos of the engine bay of my ST162 for sale. Sure, it's the stock 3S-GE again, but I think it looks pretty decent as it is.

http://www.tccn.nl/st162/deel70/DSC05754%20copy.jpg

http://www.tccn.nl/st162/deel70/DSC05755%20copy.jpg
djcougar
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 10 January 2005 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
man edwin thats the cleanest engine bay i have ever seen!
awesome job there!
i mean im sure you can see your face clearly on the heat sheild and the rocketcover

[Updated on: Mon, 10 January 2005 21:41]

matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 11 January 2005 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rob you would have to be THE luckiest ST162 owner around to have found an ST165 bumper like that.......stop making me so damn jealous!! And it's already the right colour, woohoo! Can't wait to see pics of it.

Hey Edwin, nice engine bay! Gives me something to aspire to, since mines pretty much the opposite. But where's your battery? I assume you relocated it to the boot.

Matt
Edwin 3S-GTE
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 11 January 2005 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
matt86sx wrote on Tue, 11 January 2005 06:24

Hey Edwin, nice engine bay! Gives me something to aspire to, since mines pretty much the opposite. But where's your battery? I assume you relocated it to the boot.Matt

Thanks! Yes, it's in the boot. Has been since there was a 3S-GTE in it... now with the 3S-GE in it again, there's a nice open space for a CAI, but I'll let the next owner figure that out.

http://www.tccn.nl/st162/deel48/nr1.jpg
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 12 January 2005 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Edwin - did you stick a front mount air-air intercooler into the '162 engine bay??? That's crazy Very Happy
Edwin 3S-GTE
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 12 January 2005 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I sure did... why not? Very Happy

I used this universal intercooler I bought second-hand:

http://www.tccn.nl/st162/forsale/misc-inter-02.jpg

Custom-made this pipework:

http://www.tccn.nl/st162/forsale/misc-pipes-01.jpg

And mounted it up like this:

http://www.tccn.nl/st162/forsale/misc-pipes-02.jpg

The pipework and filter to turbo pipe are still for sale btw, if anyone's interested.
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 12 January 2005 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey Edwin...

How u mount the battery in the boot..just battery in boot earth it and run the postive terminal with thick cable tot he positive thing in the engine bay!

Want to build my custom boot before i put the battery in the back there!

Also mine is using a little amount of oil...like a litre in a 5000km oil change.. but yeah my mates go same thing blown a fair bit of smoke and i go it all black...they go yep i go that just it running real rich too! lol i've been watching her like in the rear vision mirrow and yeah she does but no smoke on power after alot of backing off thus valve seal still very good !! Smile

But i think my gear box on why out..third sometimes hard to get (u know when the person next to u is pissing u off, lol) and now it pops out alot and shit...so any one got a 3s-fe box int he gold coast/brissy area for cheap or a box like bloody rob's got!

man u are a lucky cunt..gt-4 frotn bar and st2020 lsd box...bastard!

Nezza Cool
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 13 January 2005 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi guys,
just wondering, after seeing edwins car, about my engine. it is a 3sge, but the O2 sensor is located under the car. now, out of curiosity, what series is this? the car is suppose to be a series 2 version of the st162 and was apparently also imported from Japan. but such is the rarity that i havent seen another engine like it and cannot get hold of a new O2 sensor from toyota, in australia and japan. So!!!! what series is my engine and does anyone else have one? it is fairly identical to edwins except there is a funny lookin thing with a yellow screw on the intake, and the o2 sensor is under the car?
cheers guys
Edwin 3S-GTE
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 13 January 2005 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The series2 3S-GE (1988-1989) indeed have the O2 sensor in the downpipe under the car instead of the exhaust manifold. At least here in Europe, they all have. So I'd say you should see this engine in every 1988 or 1989 Celica ST162.
Edwin 3S-GTE
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 13 January 2005 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3S-GE_Man wrote on Wed, 12 January 2005 14:49

hey Edwin... How u mount the battery in the boot..just battery in boot earth it and run the postive terminal with thick cable tot he positive thing in the engine bay!

Yup, that's exactly what I did. I don't think you can fuse it because there aren't fuses available that strong (or so I was told)...
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 13 January 2005 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jonchai.
you are right, the series 2 does have the O2 sensor on the exhaust under the car, and edwin has the series 1 motor or at least the series 1 oulet manifold on his car after taking out his beloved 3SGTE. hence the inconistancy. I have a square plub O2 sensor if you like. PM me.

edwin hows the sale going?

i bet theres gonna be a tear in your eye and a big lump in your throat one u see someone else drive it away. Sad

Karl
Edwin 3S-GTE
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 13 January 2005 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Karl is right, the engine in my car is a Series1 3S-GE... I swapped it from a 1987 donor car. In fact, here in Holland the Series1 engines did not even have an o2 sensor, and no EGR as well! I don't know why. My donor car was imported from Germany, and obviously does have the EGR system and o2 sensor.

Not much interest in the car so far here in Holland! It's been for sale for about 1,5 weeks now, and so far I've had just one or two e-mails, both of which ended up being nothing.

Yeah it's going to be weird when it drives off with another owner. I hope it can stay within the Celica Club Holland so I can still see it now and then! On the other hand I can't wait to get myself an SW20 Turbo, so I just need to sell it. Quickly if possible...

[Updated on: Thu, 13 January 2005 14:31]

matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 13 January 2005 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Series 2 3SGE....not to be confused with the Gen 2 3SGE! Smile

The change occurred when the ST162 received it's minor facelift in 1987 with new wheels, grille and taillights. O2 sensor repositioning aside, I don't think there were any mechanical mods at all - anyone know for sure?

Matt
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 13 January 2005 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the head was slightly different as well Matt. the series 1 had a pipe from the TVIS to the exhaust manifold, where as the series 2 that pipe goes to the head. I think thats about it.

Karl
Edwin 3S-GTE
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 14 January 2005 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
matt86sx wrote on Fri, 14 January 2005 00:01

Series 2 3SGE....not to be confused with the Gen 2 3SGE! Smile

The change occurred when the ST162 received it's minor facelift in 1987 with new wheels, grille and taillights. O2 sensor repositioning aside, I don't think there were any mechanical mods at all - anyone know for sure?

Matt

Well I have a spare Series1 and Series2 engine lying around which I'm currently dismantling. One thing I noticed is that the injectors are different. The color is red versus green, en the connectors are different. Another thing is the EGR system. On the Series1, the EGR runs from exhaust manifold to intake manifold, on the Series2, it comes straight from the head running to the intake. So I'd say there are many small mechanical/electronical differences between Series1 and 2... but a lot of interchangable parts as well. For instance I'm using a Series2 throttle body on my Series1, complete with throttle position sensor etc, and all works fine. A Series2 ECU runs a Series1 engine perfectly as well!
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 14 January 2005 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Edwin - on the series 2 head, does it have any Yamaha stampings/markings on it??? (like 11111-88260)
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 14 January 2005 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I always thought the YAMAHA head only came on the 3SGTE.

but please feel to correct me if I am wrong.

edit: typo

[Updated on: Fri, 14 January 2005 12:04]

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 14 January 2005 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think Yamaha designed all the 3SGE heads, but they were manufactured both by toyota and Yamaha Confused
doobs
Regular

September 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 14 January 2005 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know yamaha also do the 1ggte heads, and I think 4ag.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 15 January 2005 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 1st/2nd Gen GTE heads are usually 8836x - whereas I think the 1st Gen GE head is 88260. All are designed (to specification from Toyota) by Yamaha and as far as I know were originally manufactured by Yamaha only to have Toyota take over the production shortly after.

That *was* my theory, except now I'm not so sure because the Yamaha stamped head I have at home has provisions for the EGR to come from the head (rather than the exhaust manifold).
Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 16 January 2005 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i might be able to buy a set of 16x7 white oz racing rims. they have been resprayed and no damage and the tyres are 5000km old.

will they fit properly? and will i have any problems with rubbing?

do you think they are a good buy for $1000ish?

http://moment.autodeist.com/rims.jpg
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 16 January 2005 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys,
There are quite a few differences between the series 1 & 2 st162. the following are different at least: rear lights, rear windscreen wiper, front grille, front indicators, cv joints, wheels, seats, steering wheel, interior door panels, speakers, o2 sensor, (for some) Cat convertor, distributor, and quite a few minor engine developments. enough to annoy my mechanic trying to source parts around Adelaide, some coming from Melbourne. I dont know about others but my car has no side indicators. ie. has rears obviously but only two at the side corners at front.
p/s Yamaha developed and helped in a large way in producing the 3sge and 3sgte head. as with the 4age/ze 16v and 20v

[Updated on: Sun, 16 January 2005 15:14]

79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 16 January 2005 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyone have a parcel tray with NO HOLES in it???

Need one ASAP.... I have some slightly damaged side skirts I could swap...

I dont mind if its a custom made one (not original) so long as theres no speaker holes in it...

Thanks guys
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 16 January 2005 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My car dynoed at 77fwkw.... hmmm... is this honestly a good number for a Gen2 3S-GE from MR2? But then ofcause thats with the Gen1 Manifold...

I was aiming for 70ish Kw... but then after seeing the other mr2 Run, i'm thinking.... OMgosh, The all have 90+RwKw Confused

Crying or Very Sad Something just isnt right about the car atm, and i cant figure out what.... apart from a huge pile of RUST that i found after Karl pointed out to me the "DEADSPOTS" in the boot...

ANd ofcause theres the famous electrical problems in the cabin Very Happy
djcougar
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 16 January 2005 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
79rollaboy, why not just make your own parcel shelf?

awesome to hear choppin, some nice power there still
matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 16 January 2005 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matt-itude wrote on Sun, 16 January 2005 12:04

i might be able to buy a set of 16x7 white oz racing rims. they have been resprayed and no damage and the tyres are 5000km old.

will they fit properly? and will i have any problems with rubbing?

do you think they are a good buy for $1000ish?

http://moment.autodeist.com/rims.jpg

Problems with rubbing will largely be dictated by the offset of the rims. (since that determines how far out from or in towards they hub they will sit) Too much offset and the inside of the tyre will begin to rub on the strut; too little offset and they will stick out of the guards. Standard offset for an ST162 is +39mm.

The 16" diameter won't be a problem since you'll get lower profile tyres so the overall diameter is the same as before. I have 7" wide rims on mine (with 205 wide tyres and standard +39mm offset) and there was a slight problem with rubbing on the guard during hard cornering. Rolling the guards (and fitting stiffer springs) has eliminated that though.

Hope that helps,

Matt
Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 17 January 2005 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okay thanks for that, they already come off a 5th gen non widebody gt4, so i might be okay
Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 17 January 2005 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this might not be the place to post this, but how important are shocks to the handling of the car. i mean if i have heavy duty springs and swaybars, is it totally nescesary for me to have a decent pair of shocks compared to a pair of stock ones?
matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 17 January 2005 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Matt, you aren't perchance purchasing these rims off Wyldie (from the now-defunct celica.net forum), are you?? He was in Perth too, if I recall.

That looks like his GT4 in the pic. If that's the case, then I'm sure the offset is the correct +39mm (should be stamped on the rim somewhere - most likely near the wheel nuts on those rims) and they should be fine.
game_b0i
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 17 January 2005 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey boys!!!I am just new but i have met a few of you guys at the cruise the other day.but my HG blew and i have gone on a little project.

good news just recieved the bodykit on the weekened from ssv for the 162, complete kit including door fillings!!
I took the car down to my friends at CZARINA's smash in Mt Druitt.the whole body is gonna be straighter than an arrow.
and all the rust is to be taken out yeah!! i was surprised the body work and respray (matt black) is only costing me $3500. pretty cheap for the state of my car,that is a full respray (includes spraying the inside of the car white)everything back to bare metal(blody crows feet).

while this is getting done i have taken the kit and a clean bonnet from another 162. to my friends at SWEET carbon fibre confectionaries in kingswood. They are gonna use the kit as a mould and spacebag the kit, so they can make both the bonnet and the kit out of Carbon Kevlar!! also gonna mould gt4 bonnet scoop on so i can flow more air to the intercooler!!!
The part between the headslights which says celica is also being custom moulded so more air can get into the radiator and in the engine bay.

Also i just ordered a sparco seat and some autometer gauges from HJC motorsport in penrith! Jun from HJC is also organising my suspension setupSrings, shocks,strut bars and sway bars!!

Lastly as of this morning i am trying to find a good 3S-GTE with G/box,LSD as well as a better brake Package. Very Happy.

Overall all the inside the car will be bare ecept the seat and the top half of the dash, with custom housing for the gauges.
i will post pics of the build it shouldn't take long,the body of the car will take around 2 months (downside of mates rates i guess) and as soon as i get the engine and the suspension parts it should all go together relatively easy. just need to get a cams license now!!!

BTW alliance & Rabsy86 i am driving around in my bro's type S integra while he is on school holidays(they are really fast Very Happy)until i get my s2000 not too long though maybe next cuople of weeks till i buy one just been too busy organising my 162.Anway if you guys have any sugestions in which you think i have missed out on anything please let me know. remember i am not after a horspower hero just a quick and nimble track car for weekends.
thanks hope to hear from you guys soon
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 17 January 2005 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate im stunned!!

Wordless

Mate, u really putting a GTE in there ?? GOOD ONYA!!! and only 3500 for a full respray ?!!??!!?!? Mate u gotta take me down there one day.... i'm dying to get my car some rear quarter paint! + Some rust taken out... Smile

As for the suspension, still negotiating with Karl, I've got a set of GT4 brakes i'm gonna b putting in sometime this week... hmm..... u know Karl do have a 3SGTE for sale right? Very Happy
game_b0i
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 17 January 2005 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as you know mine didn't have any rust and just barely any on the sunroof anyway!!! but i have a picture of what it looks like in my mind and this thing i hope will be a serious contender for a decent track car i guess Very Happy,

either way it's not costing me much these cars are pretty cheap to make a potentially good track car..btw found a s2k just then$43k gonna arrange to test drive it this afternoon. Very Happy Very Happy
So far my budget in this car is $15k so it isn't expensive so i can justify the mods....Decided to buy some rays TE-37 rims in 16" for the celica in a bronze gold colour mmmm.... My friend Jun from HJC just told me he can get me a set yeah!!! Very Happy just need a cams license. BTW when do you think i can get those springs?
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 17 January 2005 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
soonish bro... i know ur despareatly needing them... but i'm still doin some reseach on ones im trying to get.... gimme a few days Smile
djcougar
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 17 January 2005 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good to hear the good news mate, with $15k your car is going to be a weapon.

game_b0i wrote on Mon, 17 January 2005 15:12

while this is getting done i have taken the kit and a clean bonnet from another 162. to my friends at SWEET carbon fibre confectionaries in kingswood. They are gonna use the kit as a mould and spacebag the kit, so they can make both the bonnet and the kit out of Carbon Kevlar

does that mean they are going to totally recreate the bodykit again just by using the kit as an example? if so ill buy the body kit off you once your finished with it Very Happy Razz

game_b0i
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 17 January 2005 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks chopin sorry mate i didn't read your post entirely Embarassed haha........
my bro just wants his car back he is gonna get a piggyback computer and a dynotune Laughing i think he is scared my 19y/o
dogbox is gonna give him a run for his money!!! i have to admit though you have to give respect when it due and damn honestly for a 2litre NA car it hauls ass i thought my 162 with it's 3s-ge was quick Embarassed oh well if i still can't beat him it will be time to start modding the s2k...
game_b0i
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 17 January 2005 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry mate.. already sold!! i arranged for their sale to my friend when i knew my head gasket was ko'd cause i wasn't sure what to do with it.
Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 17 January 2005 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
matt86sx wrote on Mon, 17 January 2005 11:57

Hey Matt, you aren't perchance purchasing these rims off Wyldie (from the now-defunct celica.net forum), are you?? He was in Perth too, if I recall.

That looks like his GT4 in the pic. If that's the case, then I'm sure the offset is the correct +39mm (should be stamped on the rim somewhere - most likely near the wheel nuts on those rims) and they should be fine.

well they are his rims, he has purchased a new set, and MAY be selling his old ones, which i will grab if he sells, apparetly i have first dibs which is good.
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 17 January 2005 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djcougar wrote on Mon, 17 January 2005 09:16

79rollaboy, why not just make your own parcel shelf?

I've tried before but it turned out to be a disaster...

I was hoping someone had one...
matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 17 January 2005 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Matt-itude wrote on Mon, 17 January 2005 16:44

matt86sx wrote on Mon, 17 January 2005 11:57

well they are his rims, he has purchased a new set, and MAY be selling his old ones, which i will grab if he sells, apparetly i have first dibs which is good.

Good one. I liked his rims (and his car), they look like the ones that TTE used for tarmac rallies on Celicas in the mid 90's. No surprise, since TTE used OZ rims themselves back then.

If you get them, get some pics of them fitted to your car up on here!

Matt
Pages (63): [ «  <  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: '76 Corona MKII
Next Topic:Old photos
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 16:40:14 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.021953105926514 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.