Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » who likes Commodores ?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: who likes Commodores ? Tue, 11 May 2004 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camry_omega wrote on Tue, 11 May 2004 17:57

YelloRolla wrote on Mon, 10 May 2004 19:26

mick wrote on Mon, 10 May 2004 18:00

in my opinion the majority of Commodores getting about are puss buckets due to fact alot of people with them flog the guts clean out of them you are intiteled to your opinion i'll respect that but you have to admit they are an [U

over rated car [/U] there is much quicker then a old flogged VL turbo oh and saying that you'd perfer a V6 Commodore to a Celica Laughing you might get more power from a Commodore but f*%k if its as reliable and handle as well as a Celica I'd rather have a car thats reliable then one thats gunna cost I know for fact as just about every one i know with a Commodore always tells me about problems I will admit though a VN V6 with a manual is quick but with an auto there slow and also is it just me or does the back of the current VY looks like a Magna don't take offence but there some of my many reasons

Over rated! By this thread I think not! By the standards of the Australian motorist, they are a good thing and this is why they were the number one seller fo 60 months straight. Are they inept around a race track? Hmm production racing results would beg to differ, where they have served it up to all manner of Japanese exotica (whether or not it is fair doesn't matter - they're winning).

The idea that you think that they are overrated probably means that you are yet to come to terms with the idea that people actually like to look at HSV's etc.

And I thought that I came here to read about things Toyota. Rolling Eyes

I thought that the R32 GTR skyline driven by Jim Richards and Mark Skaife won both the 1991 and 1992 Bathurst races and dominated most of the series and that after 1992 rules were changed which stoped such cars from entering.

yes and didn't people complain about this the majority would of been Commodore fans! and the V8 supercars is a joke as well man it must be exciting to watch the same 2 manufactures race every week come on wouldn't it be more exciting if it had another manufacturer I don't know if this is true or not but have heared about Toyota were trying to enter a 4litre V8 into the V8 supercars is this true? because if it is I'd be watching every week to see both the Toyotas and the XR8 Falcons flog the Commodores Very Happy (but cherring on Toyotas! Very Happy
  Send a private message to this user    
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: who likes Commodores ? Tue, 11 May 2004 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the commodores use a chev engine anyway! Cant really call the powerplant a holden..and the diff is a re-developed for racing ford 9" to my knowledge...
With 680bhp, toyota would have to develop one mighty 4L to catch the 5.7's and 5.0's.

hell why am i sticking up for chevs..i own a ford motor! Razz Laughing
Tommo
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: who likes Commodores ? Tue, 11 May 2004 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah i wasnt saying you were on drugs, i was making fun of peter brocks energy polarizer which was something like a box of special crystals in the car which gave the car a special energy to connect it one with the driver or some bullshit Laughing .. i dunno if he actually was on drugs when he thought up that idea, maybe it was just the gypsie woman he was with at the time. damn hippies. apparantly he still believes in the crystal box today though so eh.
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: who likes Commodores ? Tue, 11 May 2004 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

[/quote]
I thought that the R32 GTR skyline driven by Jim Richards and Mark Skaife won both the 1991 and 1992 Bathurst races and dominated most of the series and that after 1992 rules were changed which stoped such cars from entering.
[/quote]

I am referring to current production races - not some touring car race that ended 12yrs ago.

In this arena you will see the Holdens showing plenty of grit amongst some more fancied opponents.

BTW - I was glad to see the Nissans stomp the Cosworth Sierra RS500's because the whole show had become a one make race.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: who likes Commodores ? Wed, 12 May 2004 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mick wrote on Tue, 11 May 2004 18:44

and the V8 supercars is a joke as well man it must be exciting to watch the same 2 manufactures race every week come on wouldn't it be more exciting if it had another manufacturer I don't know if this is true or not but have heared about Toyota were trying to enter a 4litre V8 into the V8 supercars is this true? because if it is I'd be watching every week to see both the Toyotas and the XR8 Falcons flog the Commodores Very Happy (but cherring on Toyotas! Very Happy

It is a shame that yes, there are only two makes, but have you actually watched a race? They've actually got the parity pretty well so nearly every race is a close race.

V8_MA61 wrote on Tue, 11 May 2004 19:48

With 680bhp, toyota would have to develop one mighty 4L to catch the 5.7's and 5.0's.

Actually, providing the rules allowed for an increased rev limit, the UZ powered JGTC cars could probably do that. They have tiny ass restrictors to limit them to 500ps, removing them would be an interesting exercise. That and the fact all the engines in V8 Supercars are 5l.
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: who likes Commodores ? Wed, 12 May 2004 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

i dont mind some old holdens and there are a few commos that can look nice if done properly, theres a dude at my brother's work who comes in with a VT CLubsport with a huge superchareger slaped on it pulled 540hp on the dyno

i wouldnt mind that much power taking the kiddies to school Laughing
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: who likes Commodores ? Wed, 12 May 2004 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Wed, 12 May 2004 10:36

mick wrote on Tue, 11 May 2004 18:44

and the V8 supercars is a joke as well man it must be exciting to watch the same 2 manufactures race every week come on wouldn't it be more exciting if it had another manufacturer I don't know if this is true or not but have heared about Toyota were trying to enter a 4litre V8 into the V8 supercars is this true? because if it is I'd be watching every week to see both the Toyotas and the XR8 Falcons flog the Commodores Very Happy (but cherring on Toyotas! Very Happy

It is a shame that yes, there are only two makes, but have you actually watched a race? They've actually got the parity pretty well so nearly every race is a close race.

I will agree with you there every race I have watched has been a close race, but why i think its a joke but seeing 2 manufactures in it all the time it just gets abit boring for me hearing about and seeing the same cars all the time not trying to start a fight with you or anything here but i like to watch races with different manufactures and different makes and models of cars Smile
Bitza
Occasional Poster

March 2003
Re: who likes Commodores ? Wed, 12 May 2004 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I own/drive a Commodore as it meets my needs as a family car and tow rig. The V6 is old design but still very reliable, performs ok and gives 30mpg hwy, suits me fine. Also being a large-ish person there aren't too many cars me fits in with comfort.
My lil ol RT wagon is my project as I also like Toyota's.
Everyone has different tastes in cars, what suits me is someone else's dislike.

Craig
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: who likes Commodores ? Wed, 12 May 2004 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bitza wrote on Wed, 12 May 2004 20:42

I own/drive a Commodore as it meets my needs as a family car and tow rig. The V6 is old design but still very reliable, performs ok and gives 30mpg hwy, suits me fine. Also being a large-ish person there aren't too many cars me fits in with comfort.
My lil ol RT wagon is my project as I also like Toyota's.
Everyone has different tastes in cars, what suits me is someone else's dislike.

Craig

these are good reason for picking a car I have nothing against you and can see that you have your Commodore for family and towing not for hooning as I said they would make a good family car its the ones I see that are used for hooning in general I hate I just can't see what makes the Commodores performance and handling a sports car? (way some people carry on about them) this is why I'd never own one because i know alot of them have been thrashed and not looked after properly but good luck on your project i wish you all the best
nicked
Regular

I supported Toymods

September 2003
Re: who likes Commodores ? Wed, 12 May 2004 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mick, in the 21 posts you made today you've used 2 commas and 1 full stop. Very Happy Very Happy

It's true! That post made me wonder, so i had a quick look back at your posts today... and no, I don't have anything better to do.

edited for punctuation Laughing

[Updated on: Wed, 12 May 2004 11:48]

mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: who likes Commodores ? Wed, 12 May 2004 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nicked wrote on Wed, 12 May 2004 21:45

mick, in the 21 posts you made today you've used 2 commas and 1 full stop. Very Happy Very Happy

It's true! That post made me wonder, so i had a quick look back at your posts today... and no, I don't have anything better to do.

edited for punctuation Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing correction 23 posts and counting!!!!!!!!! Very Happy
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: who likes Commodores ? Wed, 12 May 2004 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mick wrote on Wed, 12 May 2004 16:58

I will agree with you there every race I have watched has been a close race, but why i think its a joke but seeing 2 manufactures in it all the time it just gets abit boring for me hearing about and seeing the same cars all the time not trying to start a fight with you or anything here but i like to watch races with different manufactures and different makes and models of cars Smile

I much preferred it when they were ALL Sierras. For fucksake even Peter Brock drove one. You have been a touring car fan for approx 5 minutes.
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: who likes Commodores ? Wed, 12 May 2004 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
YelloRolla wrote on Wed, 12 May 2004 22:11

mick wrote on Wed, 12 May 2004 16:58

I much preferred it when they were ALL Sierras. For fucksake even Peter Brock drove one. You have been a touring car fan for approx 5 minutes.

Um... what... dude read the post above? We were talking about the V8 supercars not the touring car history?
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: who likes Commodores ? Wed, 12 May 2004 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mick,
the point that I was making is that it is better to have the Falcodores v Falcons than to have ALL Sierras. This is ulimately what happened to the series when it was open to all comers, television coverage became nearly non existent because it was dead boring.

I was at Bathurst in '92 and I was glad that Skaifey and Richards won - at least it was a Nissan, and it had arrived and broke the One Make Race. I think that whoever posted that Commodore people complained - I think that you'd be dead wrong.
At that stage it was already decided that the Ford v Holden would be the formula.The race in 1992 was great because there was some teams grooming the Crumpledores and Falcons, and we had a variety - that would not have happened without the decision to move back to the F v H battle.

I like to see Australia's great race won by our local drivers - and the current formula provides the best chance for this to happen.

I know that you didn't want a history of touring car racing - however we didn't just arrive at the V8 Supercars without the history that shaped it.

I drive a quick highly strung 4 pot - quick over 1/4mi, quick daily driver and quicker than just about any Commodore that I have come up against. From Sydney to Brisbane however - give me the 300kW Monaro and I will see you when you get there.
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: who likes Commodores ? Wed, 12 May 2004 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh sorry I thought you were trying to lecture me about the history na man that cool fair enough saying that we wouldn't of got here with out the history true but didn't the Nissans also when bathurst in 91? I was only like 7 years old and can remeber some people going on about Skylines at bathurst but don't know what that was about it wasn't good things I only said the Commodore remark because of Commodore drivers because I find a lot of Commodore fans (not all) get dirty about a car being quicker then theres that what I find anyway but I just find it strange that the rules were changed back then banning these cars
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: who likes Commodores ? Thu, 13 May 2004 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bad thing about V8 supercars - it's all V8 Holdens and Fords.

Good thing about V8 supercars - the racing is close, the competition is fierce and the cars sound great. Racing gets boring when it's same bloke or car winning all the time without having to really work hard for it. Witness the death of the 2lt super tourers - who watches a race when the outcome is already know?

No matter how artifical you think the V8 class is, the racing/competition is some of the closest and best in the world.

Anyway my 2c is that a question like this thread is bound to get the usual parochial pro-toyota response - so why ask? Commodores are an australian car, built for the greater australian driving public. They're popular because they fit in with what most people want from a car in Aus. Roomy, rear drive, front engine, low down torque, towing capability and a pleaseure to drive over long distances. You can't judge a car by it's driver - from the things I've seen on this forum it appears plenty of dickheads drive toyotas too Laughing
JZK25
Occasional Poster

July 2003
Re: who likes Commodores ? Thu, 13 May 2004 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lumpy wrote on Thu, 13 May 2004 15:02

Bad thing about V8 supercars - it's all V8 Holdens and Fords.

You can't judge a car by it's driver - from the things I've seen on this forum it appears plenty of dickheads drive toyotas too Laughing

A-Men.
A car is a machine, it takes the fool at the wheel to make it the obnoxious thing that all you guys are going on about.
I own a commodore now and have before(an apparently badly built VN V8 Rolling Eyes ). Anyone can find fault in a car because they all have them. Better that car enthusiasts find a car that they like that has faults and spend there time trying to iron them out, then spend there time speaking unqualified shit on forums.
My current Commodore is a VK that is responsible for turning 1JZ power into enjoyment. Cool
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: who likes Commodores ? Fri, 14 May 2004 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Too bad i slammed a vt "s" in my N/A ma70 this morning Laughing

He had me until i reached an elevating 5000rpm in 1st, then the supra just ran away...i then slowed down after seeing i was doing 100 in a 60 zone Razz

smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: who likes Commodores ? Fri, 14 May 2004 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My cousin ran a flat 12 at wilowbank in his auto vl turbo, it has stock motor, mods 3 inch exhaust, hifloed turbo boost controller and front mount, though he ran 12 then blew teh turbo on his second pass coz he was running 25psi boost Rolling Eyes . The VL turbo doesnt look like anything special and i dont like the interior, but i dont mind teh Calais Turbo Smile , well either that or a 1JZ Cressida Evil or Very Mad though i like my TOYOTA'S better Cool.

[Updated on: Fri, 14 May 2004 11:59]

mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: who likes Commodores ? Fri, 14 May 2004 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On the Subject on 1/4 mile times in Commodores a mate of mine ran 12.6 in his 308 powered VC Commodore at willowbank not all that long ago hardly see him any more but when I see him next I'll ask him what been done to it and tell you's as I forget now
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: who likes Commodores ? Sat, 15 May 2004 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In terms of motorsport i think the V8 supercars in its current version is good, i would rather watch that that ferari own everyone in the F1 races (although watching the battles for minor placings is good)
cthulhu
Regular

March 2003
Re: who likes Commodores ? Sat, 15 May 2004 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive driven 2 commonwhores a vp and a vh and both handled like sh*t and the vp is my friends and has had its brakes fail twice with me in the car one time we almost hit a stobby pole coming round a corner and the second time we hit a tree coz the brakes failed again

in my opinion they are fairly poor cars people just think theyre good coz everyone else does
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: who likes Commodores ? Sat, 15 May 2004 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cthulhu wrote on Sat, 15 May 2004 21:31

ive driven 2 commonwhores a vp and a vh and both handled like sh*t and the vp is my friends and has had its brakes fail twice with me in the car one time we almost hit a stobby pole coming round a corner and the second time we hit a tree coz the brakes failed again

in my opinion they are fairly poor cars people just think theyre good coz everyone else does

I have had bad brake fade - it was caused by shit brake pads - not necessarily the lump of iron that they were supposed ot be pulling up, and as the driver of the vehicle it was my responsibilty to determine how good the brakes were before pushing them beyond their limit.

If your brakes failed - check your maintenance schedule.
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: who likes Commodores ? Sat, 15 May 2004 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
YelloRolla wrote on Sat, 15 May 2004 22:58

cthulhu wrote on Sat, 15 May 2004 21:31

I have had bad brake fade - it was caused by shit brake pads - not necessarily the lump of iron that they were supposed ot be pulling up, and as the driver of the vehicle it was my responsibilty to determine how good the brakes were before pushing them beyond their limit.

If your brakes failed - check your maintenance schedule.

True I think everyone knows how I feel about Commodores by now but I have to agree with YelloRolla on this one maintenance is a big thing on any car. All cars have to be maintain wether it would be something as reliable as a Corolla or Camry or have a less quality build like a Commodore but I agree with the brakes on some of the ones I've driven aren't all that crash hot (not all) but I knew as the driver not to push it too hard with the way the Brakes were as I knew I'd be in trouble if the brake failed. All it was was the fact my mates couldn't of been bothered gettting the problem fixed and some day will crash into a tree and they will have no one to blame but themselves but I agree with you saying about there handling I have been rather dissapointed proabally because of they way people carry on about them I only see a Commodore as a family car if someone wants to do one up thats ok just hate the way people go on about them and drive them thats all
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: who likes Commodores ? Sat, 15 May 2004 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mick wrote on Tue, 11 May 2004 20:34

Billy-Mason PI wrote on Tue, 11 May 2004 17:13

It's not so much the car that i don't like as I don't mind the VY, it more the drivers. :-

I know there is a lot of commodores on the road, but it appears that a high percentage of the drivers are wankers. Shocked

Just because you drive a commodore doesnt mean that the road is a friggin racetrack and you can tailgate everybody! Rolling Eyes

I still voted no because most of the commodore models released were crap Rolling

Dam straight I'll I have to say to alot of Commodore drivers is "take it home your mum needs it for shopping" Very Happy

Says the guy driving a Camry Laughing Razz Wink
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: who likes Commodores ? Sun, 16 May 2004 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lucid wrote on Sun, 16 May 2004 09:56

mick wrote on Tue, 11 May 2004 20:34

It's not so much the car that i don't like as I don't mind the VY, it more the drivers. :-

I know there is a lot of commodores on the road, but it appears that a high percentage of the drivers are wankers. Shocked

Just because you drive a commodore doesnt mean that the road is a friggin racetrack and you can tailgate everybody! Rolling Eyes

I still voted no because most of the commodore models released were crap Rolling

Dam straight I'll I have to say to alot of Commodore drivers is "take it home your mum needs it for shopping" Very Happy

Says the guy driving a Camry Laughing Razz Wink

Laughing leave my Shopping trolley alone! Razz I reckon I could get more groceries in it then any Commodore! Razz Very Happy
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: who likes Commodores ? Sun, 16 May 2004 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Both the 200sx and all those cars arent far of the VL moter

Possibly one of the more uneducated comments in this thread.

The SR20DE/DET as fitted to the 200SX/Silvia is actually a four cylinder as opposed to the six cylinder RB30E/RB30ET. The RB30E/RB30ET also run a single cam with a timing belt, as opposed to the chain-driven twin cams on the SR20DE/DET.

Or, are you commenting on the Skyline RB20/25/26 compared to the VL motor? They're both the same family of inline six cylinder engines, I'll give you that much... but the JDM RB engines were twin cam four valve heads as opposed to the single cam two valve RB30, not to mention the rocker arm setup on the RB30.... and then I can start on the fact that they run ceramic turbines, blah blah blah.

And as for copying Holden? Unfortunately well off the mark there kiddo, they're both Nissan-built engines.

Quote:

Commonwhores, they suck.

You, too, are a brain surgeon. How, pray, did you attain such eloquence?

Quote:

The V8s are okay but need alot of development if holden want to stick around much longer.

Can you say Chevrolet Gen III? How about Chevrolet Gen IV? Compare these engines to Toyota's finest local exploits... the MR2/Celica... both of which are pissant little motors that make about ½ the power of the Commodore performance models. And before you start talking capacity, take into account the weight of the respective motors, the torque outputs and the outright on-road performance of the different cars. Holden wins every time over the beloved Toyotas.

I can't believe comments like these are coming from a bunch of people who think that 18Rs and 2Ts are modern technology.

Quote:

they are nothing more than a family car GET OVER IT

If that was directed at me, I have nothing to 'get over'. I wouldn't be likely to buy any Commodore aside from another VL, I am just saying that they are not 'puss buckets' and perform their intended function rather well.

Unlike Toyota, at least Holden still produce cars that are interesting.

[Updated on: Sun, 16 May 2004 03:00]

Bitza
Occasional Poster

March 2003
Re: who likes Commodores ? Sun, 16 May 2004 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I know there is a lot of commodores on the road, but it appears that a high percentage of the drivers are wankers.

Just because you drive a commodore doesnt mean that the road is a friggin racetrack and you can tailgate everybody!

I still voted no because most of the commodore models released were crap

Its easy to see where this heading, downhill rather fast.
Why is it that if you own/drive a particular make of car not related to the forum you automatically get put in with the minority, NOT MAJORITY/HIGH PERCENTAGE of idiots whom drive.
The same could be said about every other brand of car too, including Toyota drivers, but I'm not going too since it would start a flame war etc. I've found over the past 25 yrs in the motor trade that people who put down a particular brand of car have either -
1 - don't like that make period.
2 - dislike the appearance.
3 - never driven one.
4 - driven a badly mantained example.
5 - taken someone else's word its crap.
A true car enthusiast will give an honest opinion about the vehicle without slagging the product as such or those whom choose to drive them. I've previously owned a KE30, a badge engineered Apollo/Camry, my Wife a MS55 Crown and an XT130 sedan and as I mentioned earlier in the thread I own a VTII Commodore.
Why a Commie - Its old school rear wheel drive, I can tow up to 2000kg, plenty of interior space (for kids etc)and I fit in it, some of this mentioned earlier. I've also lowered it, added Momo rims, full exhaust system, tinted glass, does that put me in with the wankers, NOPE. Don't tar everyone with the same brush in regards to thier brand choice/driving habits.

Craig

[Updated on: Sun, 16 May 2004 03:32]

mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: who likes Commodores ? Sun, 16 May 2004 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7M-Brisbane wrote on Sun, 16 May 2004 12:55

Quote:

Both the 200sx and all those cars arent far of the VL moter

Possibly one of the more uneducated comments in this thread.

The SR20DE/DET as fitted to the 200SX/Silvia is actually a four cylinder as opposed to the six cylinder RB30E/RB30ET. The RB30E/RB30ET also run a single cam with a timing belt, as opposed to the chain-driven twin cams on the SR20DE/DET.

Or, are you commenting on the Skyline RB20/25/26 compared to the VL motor? They're both the same family of inline six cylinder engines, I'll give you that much... but the JDM RB engines were twin cam four valve heads as opposed to the single cam two valve RB30, not to mention the rocker arm setup on the RB30.... and then I can start on the fact that they run ceramic turbines, blah blah blah.

And as for copying Holden? Unfortunately well off the mark there kiddo, they're both Nissan-built engines.

Quote:

Commonwhores, they suck.

You, too, are a brain surgeon. How, pray, did you attain such eloquence?

Quote:

The V8s are okay but need alot of development if holden want to stick around much longer.

Can you say Chevrolet Gen III? How about Chevrolet Gen IV? Compare these engines to Toyota's finest local exploits... the MR2/Celica... both of which are pissant little motors that make about ½ the power of the Commodore performance models. And before you start talking capacity, take into account the weight of the respective motors, the torque outputs and the outright on-road performance of the different cars. Holden wins every time over the beloved Toyotas.

I can't believe comments like these are coming from a bunch of people who think that 18Rs and 2Ts are modern technology.

Quote:

they are nothing more than a family car GET OVER IT

If that was directed at me, I have nothing to 'get over'. I wouldn't be likely to buy any Commodore aside from another VL, I am just saying that they are not 'puss buckets' and perform their intended function rather well.

Unlike Toyota, at least Holden still produce cars that are interesting.

Um that post was not aimed directly at you as that post was written before you posted anything on this thread fair enough you like VL's as I said before I have a soft spot for the VL but would never own one due to the fact the majority of every model Commodore VB-VY seems to be driven very hard by a lot of people. If you treat a car like shit it will treat you like shit so thats why I tend to keep away from them. Thats why I think the majority of them are "puss buckets" also as well there are some good ones that have been looked after but the rest I wouldn't go near with a ten foot pole. As saying for performance they do there job but think you can do much better then a Commodore if you want a fast car. Unlike Holden, Toyota's are much more reliable have better engines and don't have rear ends that look like Magna's I'd prefer a EFI Toyota over any Holden any day and are also usually cheaper to run with the exception of a few models Holden haven't made an interesting car in over 20 years.Oh and this is coming from someone who has owned a Holden (but not a Commodore but had the Same motor that Came out in Some Commodores) a WB Holden ute with a 202 Blue motor wasn't a bad car but didn't have the ugly looks of the VC and hadn't been thrashed Holden wins every time over the beloved Toyota True in someways anf false in others I've seen plenty of Commodores and HSV's for that mattter get beat by Toyota's and slower Toyota's would have an advantage over a Commodore as a Commodore doesn't handle as well as a say a slower Celica/MR2 (not saying there slow have seen some of them give a V8 Commodore a good hiding) on a Straight maybe but not on a road with plenty of twist and turns the Toyota's would come on top every time
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: who likes Commodores ? Sun, 16 May 2004 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The main problem I have with Commodores is the drivers. Most of them know nothing about cars at all. They like Commodores 'cuz their parents told them to. And while I know that isn't true about all Commodore drives, it is true about plenty of the younger ones.

There is also the issue of crappy old tech in the VNs onwards. It's just not my style. And yes I have driven my mothers V6 VX Commodore. I should probably take a V8 out for a spin some time.

As for Fords, I have much more respect for their OHC inline 6s than the Commo V6. Although in my view it's still just a powerful family car. The new Turbo XR6 and DOHC V8 Ford engines sound good too.

Edit: Stupid MS Word

[Updated on: Sun, 16 May 2004 05:47]

mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: who likes Commodores ? Sun, 16 May 2004 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Sun, 16 May 2004 15:13

The main problem I have with Commodores is the drivers. Most of them know nothing about cars at all. They like Commodores 'cuz their parents told them to. And while I know that isn’t true about all Commodore drives, it is true about plenty of the younger ones.

There is also the issue of crappy old tech in the VNs onwards. It’s just not my style. And yes I have driven my mothers V6 VX Commodore. I should probably take a V8 out for a spin some time.

As for Fords, I have much more respect for their OHC inline 6s than the Commo V6. Although in my view it’s still just a powerful family car. The new Turbo XR6 and DOHC V8 Ford engines sound good too.

Exactly this is one of my problems with the Commodores is alot of the drivers seem to have this attitude about there cars. What makes them so good? I have driven a few Commodores and can not see what makes people think there so good in terms of a sports car? There handling is inferior to others I have been fortunate enough to have driven as in terms of a powerful family car. I'd much prefer a Falcon every Falcon I have driven I have been impressed with (although some of the people I know with falcons tell me about fuel cost) but hey there a bigger motor compared to what I've got,the auto in the XD I drove seem to change to soon and so did my mates XE but hey as for family use could live with it. I wanna take one of those BA XR8's and a new XR6 turbo for a spin!! Evil or Very Mad might see about taking one for a test drive they look so nice Very Happy. Not all Commodore drivers are idiots but there's a lot of them out there who are
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: who likes Commodores ? Sun, 16 May 2004 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have had Commodore lovers say that other cars are slower simply 'cuz of displacement (a really bad driver by the way). I have had Commodore lovers say that Jap imports (specifically Supras) suck 'cuz she passes them on the freeway (when she is doing 120 in a 100 zone) and they are wankers that know nothing about cars (this coming from a girl who put diesel in her VK!).

These are the reasons I dislike Commodores. The ignorant thinking they know what it's all about.
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: who likes Commodores ? Sun, 16 May 2004 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Sun, 16 May 2004 16:00

I have had Commodore lovers say that other cars are slower simply 'cuz of displacement (a really bad driver by the way). I have had Commodore lovers say that Jap imports (specifically Supras) suck 'cuz she passes them on the freeway (when she is doing 120 in a 100 zone) and they are wankers that know nothing about cars (this coming from a girl who put diesel in her VK!).

These are the reasons I dislike Commodores. The ignorant thinking they know what it's all about.

yes I know exactly how you feel there and thats something that really pisses me of about these "Bogans" any new Supra would piss over any HSV coupe GTS (the monaro with 300kw) I'd know what I'd prefer to have a drive of I wan't to drive a supra so bad Very Happy had to laugh at this one dickhead in this VL (6-cyl non-turbo) who was making fun out of my hubcaps on my stocko Camry making fun of my car I told him he should concentrate on his car rather then make fun of others he starts getting shitty with me and want's to race funny thing was I bet him Laughing I bet this dickhead and he was not one bit happy about it pulls up next to me and tells me this bullshit story about me not taking off properly :roll:um ok I said if that was the case you would of been gainning on me were as he was keeping up and staying at near my rear door then he backs off? I thought to myself no wonder I choose a Toyota Camry over this VL Holden Commodore I was gunna buy I think I made the right choice I think the driver may of had something to do with that race too as I always thought a VL 6-cyl non turbo would bet a Camry? as for the VK thing I don't think 202's and 308's(was the 253 in production then) were designed to run on Diesels Laughing
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: who likes Commodores ? Sun, 16 May 2004 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry just realised its beat not bet sorry my bad
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: who likes Commodores ? Tue, 18 May 2004 04:23 Go to previous message
comdomdores !lol sorry are good cars if you spend a bit on them! some of you would have seen the one we do it is street driven one with 740hp at the wheels, steps sideways if you plant the foot at 120km/h so very very few cars do this. and V8 super car engines are destroked 350 chev nacar blocks(5litre) and make max and i mean mx 605hp if they tell you otherwise they are lying. ive seen a few on the best on the engine dyno and talk to the engine builders every week. toyota would do ok but you have to remmeber if they used an overhead valve engine everyone else would so it would even it right out.
mick
Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Help with Codecs.
Next Topic:Cool page just found
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 16:38:56 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.007997989654541 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.