Toymods » Tech & Conversions » commodore V6 engine into RA40

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
rick_o
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: commodore V6 engine into RA40 Mon, 30 August 2004 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
...and, FWIW, Australia (GMH) had a part in the new Alloytec, but didn't wholely design it, although we manufacture it here
  Send a private message to this user    
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: commodore V6 engine into RA40 Mon, 30 August 2004 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djbourboncan wrote on Mon, 30 August 2004 11:12

the V6's used in VN commodore ARE NOT BUICK engines, they ARE BASED ON BUICK engines, they are derived from a FWD 3.8L V6

alloytech motors are only just started to be used in VZ commodore and WL statesman, they were never in a VN commodore and have nothing to do with the question being asked

stick to your toyotas boys

who said alloytech was used in vns? Laughing
Oh and yes, the stock VN was a buick 3.8L pushrod motor.

[Updated on: Mon, 30 August 2004 02:36]

djbourboncan
Regular

August 2004
Re: commodore V6 engine into RA40 Mon, 30 August 2004 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61

you have done nothing but fill this thread with absolute meaningless crap that so far you claim came from a mechanic, but he not really a mechanic, he a guy that might know a mechanic or something

every word from you so far has been
a) WRONG AND UNTRUTHFUL
b) OFF TOPIC

but the main thing seems to be that
c) YOU BELIEVE ALL OF IT

mate seriously, get an idea, not only are you trying to force people to believe this constant spout of garbage through arguing agressively, you are so unbelievably wrong it must hurt you to sleep at night
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: commodore V6 engine into RA40 Mon, 30 August 2004 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djbourboncan wrote on Mon, 30 August 2004 14:20

V8_MA61

you have done nothing but fill this thread with absolute meaningless crap that so far you claim came from a mechanic, but he not really a mechanic, he a guy that might know a mechanic or something

every word from you so far has been
a) WRONG AND UNTRUTHFUL
b) OFF TOPIC

but the main thing seems to be that
c) YOU BELIEVE ALL OF IT

mate seriously, get an idea, not only are you trying to force people to believe this constant spout of garbage through arguing agressively, you are so unbelievably wrong it must hurt you to sleep at night

and you've been constructive offering advice that vns dont use buick motors? Rolling Eyes

Edit: and btw show me where i have been wrong? I have already provided evidence buick were using the alloytech before we are releasing it in our commodores?

[Updated on: Mon, 30 August 2004 04:32]

Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: commodore V6 engine into RA40 Mon, 30 August 2004 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djbourboncan wrote on Mon, 30 August 2004 11:12

the V6's used in VN commodore ARE NOT BUICK engines, they ARE BASED ON BUICK engines, they are derived from a FWD 3.8L V6

alloytech motors are only just started to be used in VZ commodore and WL statesman, they were never in a VN commodore and have nothing to do with the question being asked

stick to your toyotas boys

Same GM block venting shit no matter what direction you put it in a car, gota love the nice bit of stainless pipe on the VN's that is a hack job to make the engine RWD... any enging that requires a dirty great balance shaft down the guts of it it not worth considering.

Allan
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: commodore V6 engine into RA40 Mon, 30 August 2004 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The alloytech is a brand new engine co designed by both holden and genral motors, it holds no relation to the previous motor the Buick V6 which is a pushrod and has uhc. The Alloytech is a DOHC engine and bears no resemblance to the previous motor. You might be confusing alloytech with ecotech, which was an update of the buick motor released in the VS model range, changes resulting mainly from head porting.
The alloytech was released in the US in the form of a cadillac only recently before it was released in Australia.

This stills bears no resemble to the thread though. He wants to know if it iss possible to stick a holden V6 into an RA40.
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: commodore V6 engine into RA40 Mon, 30 August 2004 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
apart from all the debating bout holdens and stuff, has any1 figured out or know the the weight of a 18r-c? i wanna know to compare.

thanx

brett
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: commodore V6 engine into RA40 Mon, 30 August 2004 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
While the 18R-C is quite heavy for a 2 litre engine, I can guarantee it will be significantly lighter than a large all-iron V6!
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: commodore V6 engine into RA40 Mon, 30 August 2004 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brett_celicacoupe wrote on Mon, 30 August 2004 10:05

tell me more about the lexcen V6!!! will these engines bolt into a bombadore. if so they will bolt in with the adaptor plate of the buitec to the celica box. id rather go toyota too anyway

MR 1GGTE: a 202 and a 176 isnt what being offered

It wouldnt be that hard to find one, i reckon the first holden wrecker in the phone book would have one!

Not a 202 tho they are crap, I have had one, seriously get a 186 or 179 similar what was in the GTR XU-1 with tripple carbs and you will have a hoot!

The 3.8 is a crappy boat anchor
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: commodore V6 engine into RA40 Mon, 30 August 2004 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanx for all the information, opinions, input everybody Smile
rick_o
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: commodore V6 engine into RA40 Mon, 30 August 2004 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Agreed on the 186, especially with a 179 head on it Wink

Although, these days, they must be getting hard to find?
TA22
Regular

June 2003
Re: commodore V6 engine into RA40 Tue, 31 August 2004 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
actually boys the vn onwards engine is infact a 'buick v6' its a shatty old engine which was used in front wheel drive buicks in the late 70s and early 80s, they stopped using it cuz it was crap. and holden bought it and did their stuff on it..

it was actually a carby v6 back in the buick days, and was a 4.1 litre. and was also available in a carby turbo option..

basically holden bought the design off them, destroked it, added ignition/fuel injection. modified the cooling system and passed it off for one of its own. but is still referred to the 'buick v6'.

the lexcen v6 is 100% identical. just got different badges and stuff. toyota and holden teamed up in the late 80s cuz they were going bankrupt and toyota agreed they will keep them alive if holden supply em VNs...

but then again, toyota supplied em camrys

if u look closely apollo parts still say toyota on em, and vice versa...

theres ur history lesson for today. Razz
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: commodore V6 engine into RA40 Tue, 31 August 2004 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Almost. The main reason Toyota wanted the Lexcen was the fact that the laws of the day made them have to include a certain percentage of local content to protect the Australian motor industry. It benefitted Toyota to just grab the Lexcen to fill the hole and in return Holden got the Apollo and the Nova.
TA22
Regular

June 2003
Re: commodore V6 engine into RA40 Tue, 31 August 2004 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh that too Smile
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: commodore V6 engine into RA40 Tue, 31 August 2004 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rick_o wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 09:07

Agreed on the 186, especially with a 179 head on it Wink

Not really you just have to know where too look Wink
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: commodore V6 engine into RA40 Tue, 31 August 2004 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

rick_o wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 09:07

Agreed on the 186, especially with a 179 head on it

yeah but then i would have to go out of my way to get the engine, get the head, get the adaptor plate etc etc. if was to go this far id probly rather just go a 1G. but seen as it is a v6 engine, adaptor plate, box and loom, its all there ready to go.

[Updated on: Tue, 31 August 2004 06:45]

R33S15AE82
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: commodore V6 engine into RA40 Tue, 31 August 2004 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I say go for it, street commos have been doing a huge build up of one of these engines and have turbo'd it, very popular engine in the usa for turboing, lots of performance parts out there for it too. Not that heavy either.
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: commodore V6 engine into RA40 Fri, 24 September 2004 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have been talkin to a few people and they confirmed that u cant really go over a 2.6 litre engine 4 a celica.
so that pretty well leaves either a 1g conversion or bomb up the 18r-g. im sorta leanin towards a 1g later on (afteer the r-g starts gettin tired) coz it seems to have more benifits; bang 4 buck, economy, weight, newer motor, better flow.
the only problem i see with the 1g is the parts availability. correct me if im rong but these are about as common or a bit less than the r-g and that was pretty expensive sourcing parts. another downfall being that itll be a bit more expensive to register/insure, and also engineering costs. anyway, thats what i think, im the the benifits will out weigh the problems.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: commodore V6 engine into RA40 Fri, 24 September 2004 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fwiw: matt_84 has a 18RGUE with 5speed g/box for sale.. 1G transplant is not just the engine ... it's mounts, electrix, mod plate, etc.... it's a whole oot more than parts prices.
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: commodore V6 engine into RA40 Sat, 25 September 2004 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
of course its not just the engine, but once its in , it in. seems pretty straight foward. witht the 1g u wont have flog it to go fast, the 18r-g (standard) u sorta will have to.
85MZ10
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: commodore V6 engine into RA40 Sat, 25 September 2004 07:54 Go to previous message
actulaly the 3.8ltr buick V6 was based on the 215cid alloy V8 which later became the rover alloy V8

The V6 was basicly the same engine with 2cyl cut off

The first off these engines were RWD being introduced in 1975 with a turbo version added in late 1978

The FWD engine was introduced late 1985 a roller cam was fitted in 86 and our Aus delivered 3.8 came along in 87

While in 1989 the US got a turbo RWD that was fitted to the Trans-Am

Over All they are a good engine that have the potencial to produce huge HP There is dedicated drag clases for these engines in the US and some examples can produce up to 2200hp with twin turbo's and run the 1/4 in the 7's

I had a sigma that was fitted with a 3.8 and it realy hauled arse
I recomend that you do it coz you wont regret it.
Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:TA22 antenna??
Next Topic:sc14 supercharger
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 10 03:05:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0072650909423828 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.