Toymods » Members Rides » Smashed_Wombat's ST162 SX - 3SGE Gen III Swap

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Smashed_Wombat's ST162 SX - Gen 3 Swap In Progress Mon, 27 June 2005 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for that, I'm seriously considering asking the guy to rip that rubber pipe out and get that factory piping put in.

This is what he's done.
http://members.optushome.com.au/an-d/web/AC1.jpg

http://members.optushome.com.au/an-d/web/AC2.jpg
  Send a private message to this user    
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Smashed_Wombat's ST162 SX - Gen 3 Swap In Progress Sat, 30 July 2005 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
New gearbox is on the way. Went down to Toyospares today to check it out. Its physically much larger than the S54 and I suspect it has a viscous LSD. It looks like there will need to be a bit of custom work to get the LHS mount to work. Also noticed that the speed sender is different, the reverse light plug is different, the slave cylinder is larger and the driveshafts looked a bit larger.

Mission for this week: sort out what's needed to get the 'gorilla box' running in the Celica!

http://members.optushome.com.au/an-d/web/gorilla1.jpg

http://members.optushome.com.au/an-d/web/gorilla2.jpg

EDIT: That picture is off yahoo japan, not the actual box im getting. The reverse light switch is different to the one above.

Also, recently aquired a ST202 shift lever (about 1" shorter than the original) and an adaptor to get the oil pressure sender working. I'd say the conversion is pretty much 100% finished properly now. Very Happy

[Updated on: Sat, 30 July 2005 04:36]

piggy
Regular

March 2005
Re: Smashed_Wombat's ST162 SX - 3SGE Gen III Swap Sat, 30 July 2005 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shocked that is one nice st162 good job

ps i added you to msn Smile
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Smashed_Wombat's ST162 SX - Gen 3 Swap In Progress Sat, 30 July 2005 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smashed_wombat wrote on Sat, 30 July 2005 14:34

New gearbox is on the way. Went down to Toyospares today to check it out. Its physically much larger than the S54 and I suspect it has a viscous LSD. It looks like there will need to be a bit of custom work to get the LHS mount to work. Also noticed that the speed sender is different, the reverse light plug is different, the slave cylinder is larger and the driveshafts looked a bit larger.

Mission for this week: sort out what's needed to get the 'gorilla box' running in the Celica!

http://members.optushome.com.au/an-d/web/gorilla1.jpg

http://members.optushome.com.au/an-d/web/gorilla2.jpg

EDIT: That picture is off yahoo japan, not the actual box im getting. The reverse light switch is different to the one above.

Also, recently aquired a ST202 shift lever (about 1" shorter than the original) and an adaptor to get the oil pressure sender working. I'd say the conversion is pretty much 100% finished properly now. Very Happy

thats a nice looking box there dude,

but im concerned is where the selector linkages clip onto the bracket on the gearbox in the pic! (that goldish looking bolted on bracket) they look like they are 2mm thick and the st162 selector cables are rigged up for 7mm (i think) . i would get the selector cables as well. cause its gonna be a bitch to change the selector cables once you have the car together.

Karl
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Smashed_Wombat's ST162 SX - Gen 3 Swap In Progress Sat, 30 July 2005 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm I didn't pick that up Karl, it looks like it could work as it is (or with a small amount of modification)

Wombat, I TOLD you the speed sensor was diffo Wink

I am curious to find out if the driveshafts are fatter or not, becuase my ST202 Box took my celica shafts no worries
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Smashed_Wombat's ST162 SX - 3SGE Gen III Swap Mon, 29 August 2005 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I know... was just disheartened to see how different it really was! The diff is a bit larger, and being on the wrong side - even if i could get a mechanical sender to fit - i dont think the speedo cable would take too well to a 90 degree bend~ Confused Ah well, all shall be revealed this week!

A few pics of my ST202 shifter install:

http://members.optushome.com.au/an-d/web/shifter1.jpg

The ST162 shift lever mechanism is in the background - i was amazed at how much technology has improved in regard to this part. The ST162 mechanism is made from pressed steel, has about a dozen welds and lots of fiddly pieces - would've been assembled by hand. The ST202 mechanism has 3 major plastic parts, held together by 2 pins, is about half the weight and had a much smoother / solid feel to it. Probably cost half as much and was assembled by a machine... soz, I'm studying design / manafacture atm... just found that interesting!

http://members.optushome.com.au/an-d/web/shifter2.jpg

The ST202 and ST162 shift levers side by side. The ST202 lever is about 25mm shorter at the top and about 7mm longer at the bottom.

http://members.optushome.com.au/an-d/web/shifter3.jpg

The finished product! I scored a ST202 leather gearknob with the lever, its got a bit of weight to it which is good. The throw is considerably shorter than the standard lever, but I wouldn't call it a 'quick shift' like those kits you can buy. The effort required to change gears is about the same as before. Overall, a nice cheap mod that is a kind of compromise between the stocko truck shifter and a ridgy didge quick shifter.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Smashed_Wombat's ST162 SX - 3SGE Gen III Swap Mon, 29 August 2005 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey bro, you could just get an electric speedo man.. I know some others have done that on the 162s
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Smashed_Wombat's ST162 SX - 3SGE Gen III Swap Tue, 30 August 2005 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, that's an option too I guess. I went down and had a chat to the guys about it and its turning into a bigger, costlier excercise. The box is an E53-070, its a bigger version of the ones that came in the late model 4AGZE Corollas. There's a 90% chance that I'd have to fabricate a top mount bracket for it, the input shaft is bigger so I'd need a new clutch, i'd have to machine up a set of collars to make the shift cables fit. As it turns out the speedo is a pretty easy fix - a mechanical drive (with a 90 degree bend) from a 4AGZE box is a straight swap (assuming the ratios are the same). Nobody I know of has tried fitting ST202 driveshafts to a ST162, so thats also a big maybe. So yeah, the E53 doesn't look very ST162 compatible! So looking at other options...

Rob, you wouldn't happen to know what your gearbox came out of would ya? Got any pictures you could send me?
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Smashed_Wombat's ST162 SX - 3SGE Gen III Swap Tue, 30 August 2005 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bro

Dude I don't have any photos, did have heaps, but lost them all when I lost my iPhoto library by accident a while back Sad

You said that your box was off an ST202. I find this hard to understand in light of your post...

1) The "4A" blocks are different than the "S" series blocks. I assume the ST202 had an "S" series motor in it, I don't understand how you ended up with a "4A" block. Did they put "A" motors in the Celicas? (not including the AT series celicas)?

2) My box was off an ST202 with the Beams engine. A different box than the ones on the regular ST202s. Anyway, the box mated perfectly to my "S" series motor. Driveshafts have the same number of splines (slotted right in), once I overcame the mech/electrical issue on the speedo, there were no issues there, all the bolt holes on the box and block mated, I just attached the ST162 engine mount and bracket in the holes on the box (the brackets were diffo, very similar to the ones in your pictures here) and all was sweet.

The pictures you showed of your box make it look like a celica box, save the diff has a funny shape lump and the speedo of course

Anyway, I hope this doesn't just make you grumpy Wink

Good luck dude if you want me to take some pictures of the installed unit I would be more than happy to
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Smashed_Wombat's ST162 SX - 3SGE Gen III Swap Tue, 30 August 2005 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Soz, i was in a rush before and wasn't very clear. Confused

What I meant was that the gearbox in the pictures above (and the ones that I was looking at this afternoon) are pretty much (externally) identical to the ones that were standard in 4AG(Z)E powered Corollas. I saw the two variants side by side and they're almost the same except for the bellhousing, speed senders and the size of the driveshaft sockets. The build plate on a ST202 halfcut that was there said the transaxle code was E53-070, so its not based on the 'S' series g.boxes usually found in Celicas.

I'd be interested to see this other BEAMS gearbox that everyone talks about, a lot of people I've spoken too say that the 200 series Celicas only came with the S54 (Camry / 5SFE style) box and this 'gorilla' E53(?) box. The BEAMS engined Celica theoretically has this E53 box, but I've never seen a BEAMS halfcut in the flesh so I'm not 100% on that one.

Soz if I sound a bit pissed off / up myself... just trying to get a straight answer on this topic is next to impossible! Everyone says something different... i think i might have to learn japapanese! Cool
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Smashed_Wombat's ST162 SX - 3SGE Gen III Swap Tue, 30 August 2005 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah I am sure it sux man

well, if it helps, I have a BEAMS g/box from an ST202....

looks almost identical to the S53, except it's way heavier Very Happy

otherwise it's almost impossible to pick from the outside. It has a small vent in the bellhousing that my old g/box didn't have... Confused
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Smashed_Wombat's ST162 SX - 3SGE Gen III Swap Tue, 20 September 2005 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
0-100 in 8 seconds:

http://members.optushome.com.au/an-d/web/0-100.3gp
(req. quicktime player)

I've managed to get up in the 7.5 - 7.8 range before, but my CV's are in their dying days and I didn't want to punish them with a hard launch... maybe next time. Very Happy

Well, it looks like the gearbox plans are off till uni finishes for the year - then i'll have more time to play / earn money to sink into the car.

We've done a little more trawling of the net in search of elusive ST202 gearbox info and have come to the conclusion that the LSD was an option on ALL ST202's - not standard equipment (even on the later gen VI beams engine models). It would seem that the ones with LSD had the E series transmission mentioned above. Does anyone know the full model code of the MR-2 LSD gearbox? This is the build plate of a gen VI powered ST202:

http://members.optushome.com.au/an-d/web/P1010003.JPG

You wouldn't have a pic of the build plate from your halfcut would ya Matt? I'll try get one of the toyospares halfcut if they've still got it.

The adventure continues...
matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: Smashed_Wombat's ST162 SX - 3SGE Gen III Swap Tue, 20 September 2005 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I sure do have a pic of the plate from the halfcut, here ya go:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/macca_1972/PICT0005.jpg

Note that this particular car had the 3rd gen 3SGE, superstrut suspension and twin piston front brakes. I believe it was a 1999 build car (there was no plate on the car to say so, but that's what i was told). I have pretty much given up trying to work out the specs for SS-II and SS-III's, but from my limited research I believe that all SS-III's had the BEAMS engine, and SS-II's had the 3rd gen 3SGE. The superstruts & twin piston brakes were standard on SS-III and optional on SS-II. So I'm pretty sure my engine came from an optioned-up SS-II. I stand to be corrected on this info, however!

Nice vid by the way, the car sounds great!

Matt
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Smashed_Wombat's ST162 SX - 3SGE Gen III Swap Tue, 20 September 2005 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha, thanks - when are you starting on yours? I've been trying to find the pin out diagram of the gen 1 ECU for you but I cant find it anywhere.Crying or Very Sad

Sweet, so your g.box is the same as the one in that beams half cut in the first pic. I'm prety sure this is the same g.box that I have too.
Quote:

I have pretty much given up trying to work out the specs for SS-II and SS-III's, but from my limited research I believe that all SS-III's had the BEAMS engine, and SS-II's had the 3rd gen 3SGE. The superstruts & twin piston brakes were standard on SS-III and optional on SS-II. So I'm pretty sure my engine came from an optioned-up SS-II. I stand to be corrected on this info, however!

Nah, what that sounds about right - so the question is, did the S54 ever come with LSD or did optioning up mean that the car was fitted with the E153? We need the internet myth busters...
matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: Smashed_Wombat's ST162 SX - 3SGE Gen III Swap Thu, 22 September 2005 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SHOULD be starting on mine in a month or so.......depends on exactly what weeks I can take off in between all the work that is scheduled......fingers crossed! On top of that I might be changing jobs soon, which would throw another spanner in the works but we'll see.

I have a pin out diagram for the Gen 1 ECU saved on my comp, I'll email it to you and you can see if it's the diagram you are after.

Yeah that gearbox thing is the great unanswered question huh? I guess the only real way to be sure is to find a BEAMS equipped ST202 with an LSD box and have a look at the build plate and see what it says! My guess is that they fitted the E153 when LSD was specified, and S54 for the rest. I have read that only the E153's fitted to MR2 Turbos and BEAMS SS-III's have LSD, other E153's (eg those fitted to Camrys) do not.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Smashed_Wombat's ST162 SX - 3SGE Gen III Swap Thu, 22 September 2005 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is all hurting my brain....

Smile

come on over to the new forums guys!
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Smashed_Wombat's ST162 SX - 3SGE Gen III Swap Thu, 13 October 2005 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not really a 'mod' but anyway... I scored another ebay addition to my budget stereo, after watching back to the future the other day i decided its time to invest in my own flux capacitor... its only 1 farad tho, no jiggawatts here!

http://members.optushome.com.au/an-d/web/capacitor.jpg

Its pretty good - was designed and built by local guys, bought it for half the price from the 'supplier' than my mate did from the 'retailer'. Atleast my poor alternator doesn't have to suffer anymore!
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Smashed_Wombat's ST162 SX - 3SGE Gen III Swap Thu, 13 October 2005 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol, looks nice, but! what is it? and what does it do?

i know theres an amp under it, or is it just rice. Razz

[Updated on: Sat, 15 October 2005 15:04]

smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Smashed_Wombat's ST162 SX - 3SGE Gen III Swap Fri, 14 October 2005 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It bumps my street cred multiplier through the roof man!! Haven't you played need for speed underground?? lol Laughing

Nah, a stereo capacitor is kind of like a surge tank of electrical charge for the amp.

When you're playing eric clapton / ministry of sound / norwegian viking music rediculously loud with an amp and subwoofer the amp tries to pull big peak currents from the alternator. If the alternator can't meet the demand then it pulls the current from the battery. This is bad as it puts extra load on the whole electrical system and is particularly noticable when your lights start to dim in time with the music. Rolling Eyes The capacitor stores charge so that when the amp peaks it drains the capacitor rather than straining the alternator.

The flashing lights and voltage display are just pure wank factor. Very Happy
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Smashed_Wombat's ST162 SX - 3SGE Gen III Swap Tue, 15 November 2005 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://members.optushome.com.au/an-d/web/seats2.jpg

Note to self, don't go down to Toyospares on pay day. Very Happy I picked up the front seats, a practically brand new steering wheel and a set of Kicker 4" splits from a white lightening they were wrecking. Total cost: $150. Thanks Matt!

http://members.optushome.com.au/an-d/web/seats1.jpg

The seats are a little tired, but for the price I paid I think I can live with it.
matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: Smashed_Wombat's ST162 SX - 3SGE Gen III Swap Wed, 16 November 2005 01:32 Go to previous message
Wow, nice pick up Andy! Considering the rarity of the fabled ST162 optional seats, I think you are going to make a lot of 162 owners (including myself) very jealous! I must admit that when I am wandering around wreckers yards I am always keeping an eye out for a White Lightning, knowing that they came with those seats.

They might be a bit tired, but they look awesome - and match your interior trim very nicely too! Well done.

Matt
Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:KE55 coupe, 4age conversion
Next Topic:265 Powered KE10... Running & Smoking Rears
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 13:06:02 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0069057941436768 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.