Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Exhaust Myth... Fact or Fiction?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
greenta22
Regular

July 2004
Re: Exhaust Myth... Fact or Fiction? Mon, 14 March 2005 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pitty the poor bastard who buys that car next...
  Send a private message to this user    
notorius
Regular

August 2004
Re: Exhaust Myth... Fact or Fiction? Mon, 14 March 2005 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol, why?

engine gets a rebuild in 2 weeks, then possibly goes turbo, the engine will be fine lol
selk
Regular

June 2004
Re: Exhaust Myth... Fact or Fiction? Mon, 14 March 2005 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kyosho wrote on Wed, 09 February 2005 20:36

Farkurnell wrote on Wed, 09 February 2005 20:30

So what is too big an exhaust pipe in your collective opinions?

Depends on the engine
How it is built
How it is being driven

For a 2.0L, I'd go a MAXIMUM of a 2.5" really...
Prob run around a 2.25"
On my 2.4L, I'll put on a 2.5" system straight through if this one shits itself...
And I'm N/A

But turbo 2.0L cars can run a 3" exhaust from turbo back with NO problems

yeah 4 a turbo charged engine def 3' - 4 ', tha bigger tha better for 4 turbos
R-jay
Regular

February 2003
Re: Exhaust Myth... Fact or Fiction? Mon, 14 March 2005 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
flash read the thread.... interesting....

a coupla years ago i read a mag (fast fours or HPI) and it had a tech article about some dude who came up with a camshaft that was made up of several sections which allowed the lobe to "slide" to change duration..... they reckon it can control engine revs without a TB by reducing flow to a minimum... technically, it's possible if you could control it....

also, people have dabbled with hydraulic and pneumatic valve control (no cams).... if it was plausible, it would mean you could have an engine that is driveable from idle to whatever your engine could take.

Depending on whether i twin turbo or single turbo the 1uz, i will either have twin 2.5inch full exhaust with x pipe, or for the single, i will run a full 3.5 inch all the way....

about CVT (continuously variable transmssion) is already in use and has been for awhile....

the luxury Y33 and Y34 nissans (Cima, Gloria) used a CVT auto tiptronic box in some variants..... also, i heard the honda jazz also uses a CVT on the top of the line model.
73ke25
Regular

October 2003
Re: Exhaust Myth... Fact or Fiction? Tue, 15 March 2005 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Long thread , may have been said already.

My opinion is that the smaller exhaust has a better vacuum effect to help draw out the following emissions... Which turbos dont really require as much. But if you put a to big exhaust on an NA it wont draw through the following emissions , may flow more air but it wont help removing the outgoing emissions as well .
hemi twofifteen turbo
Regular

October 2003
Re: Exhaust Myth... Fact or Fiction? Tue, 15 March 2005 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just about the CVT, citroen in the 70's used CVT in some of their cars, I think they had problems with belt slips
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Exhaust Myth... Fact or Fiction? Tue, 15 March 2005 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
73ke25 wrote on Tue, 15 March 2005 21:04

My opinion is that the smaller exhaust has a better vacuum effect to help draw out the following emissions...

Eh? How does high pressure exhaust in the combustion chambers lead to a vacuum in the pipes? Confused
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Exhaust Myth... Fact or Fiction? Tue, 15 March 2005 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
theres as much right about that as there is with the $175 mark-up on 3 inch cats most exhaust shops charge.

MUCH BULL SHIT smaller is just easyer for them, not better for your car
510rob
Regular

June 2004
Re: Exhaust Myth... Fact or Fiction? Tue, 15 March 2005 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
please go download this video about tuned headers...

http://presspley.com/F1/video/Presspley%20F1%20Fir eup.mpg
R-jay
Regular

February 2003
Re: Exhaust Myth... Fact or Fiction? Tue, 15 March 2005 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it's a cool vid, but it doesnt have much to learn from.... except that f1's are awesome.... but we all knew that already.
510rob
Regular

June 2004
Re: Exhaust Myth... Fact or Fiction? Tue, 15 March 2005 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know, I was just trying to add some fun to the discussion because some people were getting a wee bit pissy...
jeffro RA28
Regular

August 2004
Re: Exhaust Myth... Fact or Fiction? Wed, 16 March 2005 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is a bit "after topic" and some one may have already said this. But dont forget top fuellers are using dual spark plug heads, duel mag drives etc. Making it more efficient and letting minimum fresh intake escape. That is why they can afford to be running such huge superchargers.

And with the valve on the yamaha's. Also 2 stroke race motorcross engines have wat is called a KIPS valve, which is also refferd to as a power valve. Which restricts the flow of exhaust in certian instances so that it delivers a smooth controlable power surge and not a sudden hit of power.
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Exhaust Myth... Fact or Fiction? Wed, 16 March 2005 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jeffro RA28 wrote on Wed, 16 March 2005 20:24

This is a bit "after topic" and some one may have already said this. But dont forget top fuellers are using dual spark plug heads, duel mag drives etc. Making it more efficient and letting minimum fresh intake escape. That is why they can afford to be running such huge superchargers.

Maybe I am missing something but have you ever seen how much raw fuel that a fueller pumps out of the exhaust (blows about 15 feet into the air at idle).

The reason for dual magnetos (I thought) is because nitro is pretty hard to burn when it is on the verge of hydraulic lock.
jeffro RA28
Regular

August 2004
Re: Exhaust Myth... Fact or Fiction? Wed, 16 March 2005 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry perhaps i am wrong.
I know in my bosses powerboat he runs a dual spark head(manufactured by us) to be more efficient, that is when he is using either a roots or psi type supercharger. Maybe i should have said powerboat instead of topfueller. i just thought a duel spark on a topfueller would be for the same reason. But im just the apprentice wat would i know Confused

[Updated on: Wed, 16 March 2005 10:59]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Exhaust Myth... Fact or Fiction? Wed, 16 March 2005 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
YelloRolla wrote on Wed, 16 March 2005 20:59

The reason for dual magnetos (I thought) is because nitro is pretty hard to burn when it is on the verge of hydraulic lock.

i remember talking to one of the guys in the pits way back (either Reed or Splatt crew) and they said the plugs often burn out at half track anyway.. the dual setup is just for a little bit of redundancy..

mmm i love watching US funny cars, they are alwasy so close to the limit, and you are nearly gauranteed that one or two of them will lock Wink

BOOOM.

Very Happy

Cya, Stewart

ps, interesting there are so many (i didn;t read the thread and this may have been said before.. but..) posts..

[Updated on: Wed, 16 March 2005 11:18]

ke30king
Forums Junkie

On Probation

March 2005
Re: Exhaust Myth... Fact or Fiction? Wed, 16 March 2005 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Farkurnell wrote on Wed, 09 February 2005 20:30

So what is too big an exhaust pipe in your collective opinions?

i draw the line at three "
73ke25
Regular

October 2003
Re: Exhaust Myth... Fact or Fiction? Wed, 16 March 2005 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Tue, 15 March 2005 23:12

73ke25 wrote on Tue, 15 March 2005 21:04

My opinion is that the smaller exhaust has a better vacuum effect to help draw out the following emissions...

Eh? How does high pressure exhaust in the combustion chambers lead to a vacuum in the pipes? Confused

Well what happens when you put a hose in a tank and suck on it then let it drain by itself.

Long thin runners on an inlet manifold help with low end torque , oh but it shouldnt because its restricting air .....
ke30king
Forums Junkie

On Probation

March 2005
Re: Exhaust Myth... Fact or Fiction? Wed, 16 March 2005 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well my little rolla has got half an exhaust with a puny little mufler and it sounds pretty funken good and it seens to drive and runn prety well to i can get it to idle at around 200 rpm so there ive sed my bit

[Updated on: Wed, 16 March 2005 13:00]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Exhaust Myth... Fact or Fiction? Wed, 16 March 2005 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
73ke25 wrote on Wed, 16 March 2005 22:30

Well what happens when you put a hose in a tank and suck on it then let it drain by itself.

Worst... analogy... ever.

How does syphoning water from a tank have ANYTHING to do with what goes on in an exhaust system?? Confused Confused
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Exhaust Myth... Fact or Fiction? Wed, 16 March 2005 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
people are allowed to be stupid,

some just abuse the privelidge...
jeffro RA28
Regular

August 2004
Re: Exhaust Myth... Fact or Fiction? Thu, 17 March 2005 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Wed, 16 March 2005 22:17

ps, interesting there are so many (i didn;t read the thread and this may have been said before.. but..) posts..

Yer, well alot people do read majority of the posts, but still may have missed something.
tom210
Regular

March 2005
Re: Exhaust Myth... Fact or Fiction? Wed, 30 March 2005 14:13 Go to previous message
i got a L300 Express with extractors and when the fuckers at AUSTUNE AUTOMOTIVE put a new head on it they put a few nuts on the studs and some studs were missing in the exhaust side, so as you can expect it sounded shithous and went shit (easy to stall, loss of power, excess fuel) because there was no exhaust so i say if there is no back pressure the car runs shit therefore it needs it.
Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:MA70 windscreen fogging
Next Topic:Rims to fit ln106/pug/xt130 upgrade
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 19:17:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0079619884490967 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.