Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » AE86 conversions...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
celica162
Regular

May 2002
AE86 conversions... Mon, 14 April 2003 13:16 Go to next message
hey, im thinking of getting a stockish AE86. spending like $3K(max). I would still have about $3,000 left over to do an engine swap, and i would like a GZE but i dunno if it could be in there for that price...i couldn't do the swap myself so i would have to get it done by a workshop, (prolly toyospares)
any suggestions?

Max $$$ -> $6,000 atm.

Send a private message to this user    
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 conversions... Mon, 14 April 2003 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3K wont get u far if your getting a workshop to do it.
RobertoX
Regular

May 2002
Re: AE86 conversions... Tue, 15 April 2003 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for that $ you could probably pick one up with a GE if you keep yor eyes open but fitting a GZE would be squeezing the budget i reckons
celica162
Regular

May 2002
Re: AE86 conversions... Tue, 15 April 2003 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dunno wot to do,
seriously i think playing engine swaps is a waste of money...
end up spending like 8K and still is an old car...

maybe i get a KE corolla and wait another 6 months or whatnot and save up more and get a 20G car...
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 conversions... Tue, 15 April 2003 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well if you havent got the heart for it then you would be better going for your second choice.

Stock sprinters are noting particularly special, they land in the same league as any other small car from that era eg Gemini/Corolla etc.

That said, a little money wisely spent will transform it into a very entertaining car which will leave you in no doubt that it was money well spent.

Not a ballistic rocket, but a quick, nimble automobile which if done properly could also take on the odd motorsports event.

So, put simply I would buy a sprinter for a project car and spend a little on it and make it something special.

It a sort of vehicle you really have to decide either a definitive yes or no before you buy one.

Otherwise leave it to someone who will have a genuine interest
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 conversions... Tue, 15 April 2003 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also, one more thing...

Being the very simple and easy to work with car that a Sprinter is, its definately a get your hands dirty DIY automobile to toy with, let the workshops handle the 450Hp BOV'd Silvias.

Widowmaker
Regular

November 2002
Re: AE86 conversions... Tue, 15 April 2003 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rex_Kelway wrote on Tue, 15 April 2003 22:05

Well if you havent got the heart for it then you would be better going for your second choice.

Stock sprinters are noting particularly special, they land in the same league as any other small car from that era eg Gemini/Corolla etc.

That said, a little money wisely spent will transform it into a very entertaining car which will leave you in no doubt that it was money well spent.

Not a ballistic rocket, but a quick, nimble automobile which if done properly could also take on the odd motorsports event.

So, put simply I would buy a sprinter for a project car and spend a little on it and make it something special.

It a sort of vehicle you really have to decide either a definitive yes or no before you buy one.

Otherwise leave it to someone who will have a genuine interest

exactly the reasons why i bought my ae86
celica162
Regular

May 2002
Re: AE86 conversions... Tue, 15 April 2003 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea, i dunno....
perhaps a 100Kw 4AG could be slipped in cheaper?
how much would a shop charge u rekon?
gurumaster22
Occasional Poster

April 2003
Re: AE86 conversions... Tue, 15 April 2003 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've been thinking about this of late as well. I'm guessing a conversion with either a 20v or a 4AGZE will cost around the same amount if done by a shop (have no time myself).
What sort of figure are we looking at for this sort of conversion???
Widowmaker
Regular

November 2002
Re: AE86 conversions... Tue, 15 April 2003 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you dont want to put the engine in yourself or you cant , whats gonna happen when somthing needs fixing or servicing , its gonna be expensive if you cant do it yourself. Besides doing it yourself not only teach's you its half the fun!
celica162
Regular

May 2002
Re: AE86 conversions... Tue, 15 April 2003 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I cant do the wiring on it...

if i could get a car for 2K add maybe 2K for a GE (100Kw) swap, it might be feasable.....
i just dont think i could justify 7K on one.

[Updated on: Tue, 15 April 2003 12:49]

Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: AE86 conversions... Tue, 15 April 2003 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if ur not mechanical minded the gze might not be the best way to go...
as the big amounts of torque at low revs tends to smash diffs and gear boxes if treated with some abuse, why else would u get a gze if u weren't gonna dish it out Smile

so u will most likely have to change a few and its gonna cost if u can't do it urself
gurumaster22
Occasional Poster

April 2003
Re: AE86 conversions... Tue, 15 April 2003 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, I didn't say I couldn't do it myself, it would just take a long time to do as I have very little free time to truly just get down to it and do a conversion like that.
Working on it will not be a problem. Just wanted to know what I'd be looking at for a conversion like that when done by a shop.
Sprinter
Regular

September 2002
Re: AE86 conversions... Wed, 16 April 2003 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As with everything this is just MHO. Feel free to take with a grain of salt!

With regards to wiring, speak to some of the more "clued in" people around the forums and club. For example, if you were doing a 20V I know of a guy who is finalising a prefabbed loom ready for a AE86 install. He was also toying with doing one for a 4AGZE into AE86. Of course this convenience has a price - which I don't know sorry.

I've learnt heaps by working on my car over the years. And I now know where my limits are when it comes to certain types of work (like welding Confused ).

When it comes to breaking stuff the former Toymods president was legendary. But it comes down to how you drive it - if burnouts and flat shifting are you then get ready to stock pile diffs and GB's. Thats not me and I've only broken one diff and gearbox in 5 years with the Z (inc a few track days and quite a bit of touring).

You also need to think about insurance.

Like Widowmakers signature says "if your not an AE86 man ..." don't bother with it. Leave the car to someone who is and get something else.

Denis
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: AE86 conversions... Wed, 16 April 2003 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You shouldn't let the fact that you're not mechanically inclined stop you from getting an AE86 - it's just that you'll have to be prepared for when things go wrong and then paying someone else to fix it for you. There are a lot of rip-offs out there so it pays to know when you're paying too much or at least having a reliable mechanic. Of course, knowing how to fix things will save you $$$.

Unfortunately, I don't have time to do the work myself so it all gets outsourced most of the time however I guess the luxury of having a job is that funds aren't so much of an issue then & I get the best ppl to do the job. Mine you though, although I ain't a mechanic, I do know a bit ... comes from learning off others & just reading up on what's available on the net.

Still, a $3k budget for engine conversion is not feasible unless it is at mate's rates. I spent about $2K just getting parts together when I did mine - engine + diff. Best to budget $5K to be safe - even then, if you choose the wrong engine, it'd cost you even more to replace it.

Can't justify $7K on a Sprinter + engine conversion? Then you'd be best off getting a S13 Silvia for around $7K. If you're not prepared to go the full yards, you'll never realise the full potential of driving an AE86 - at the most, you'll only have the benefit of bragging that you own a Hachi Roku.

It's taken me over a year of saving $$$ but I'm almost there - of course there's not much change left but I can tell you no other car makes me grin like an idiot each time.

I guess Riceboy's the prime example - he's done most of the work himself and has landed up with a really nice AE86 that's probably worth $7-8K but he only paid half of this having done the rest of the work himself. On the other hand ... mine's already cost me around the $15K mark. Stereo + LSD upgrade are the only planned things in future so that means another $3K at least. Sad

As such, you can see why I'll be hanging onto mine for a while yet ... It'd probably fetch $9K at the most so why should I let someone else reap the benefits?

Ah ... the joys of owning a car ... you'll never get your money back so make sure it's one worth spending money on ...

http://www.members.optushome.com.au/magneticrose/Weber.JPG
Widowmaker
Regular

November 2002
Re: AE86 conversions... Wed, 16 April 2003 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thank you for that pic dodgy haro .... now i know who to mug ill be in brizzy my flight leaves in an hour Very Happy

damn you with your finery and hard to source parts !

btw what type of driving lights are those ?
Sprinta
Regular

September 2002
Re: AE86 conversions... Wed, 16 April 2003 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dodgy haro nice pic lol Smile
Do you have any more of those late model jap spec grills ?
Or do you need the late model headlights as well?

I like mine as is with the normal grill to be honest but yeh..

thanx
Very Happy
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: AE86 conversions... Wed, 16 April 2003 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Um ... those fog lights actually came with the car but aren't connected - don't believe they're working as the seals have come off however I've left them on as there's not many AE86's with these nowadays. It'd probably be gone once I get around to installing that TRD front splitter copy. FWIW, the fog lights are made by Borsch ...

As for the Levin grill, you'll have to ask Toby Aka T on the forums here as I got mine off him. Doubt if he has any ATM but you never know. The only mod in fitting it was to hack away one of the mounting brackets in the engine bay. Once this was done, everything else just screwed in. You'll notice the lights are still the standard Aus spec ones - no need to modify or squeeze it in.
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: AE86 conversions... Thu, 17 April 2003 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I mean seriously, drive in drive out engine conversions aint that cheap. Furthermore, sprinters aren't that cheap either.

Trying to find a sprinter for $2000 that is reliable is almost impossible. I mean, a 2000 dollar sprinter aint gonna be rock solid for long, cause it'll have little things to fix. And as you said, it really is a 20 y/o car, so chances are, every month, you'll have to spend X amount of dollars just to keep it runnin. Be prepared to spend a lot of time in the wreckers too, as these parts aren't as common as other cars (gemini, ae82). In fact, I don't think I've seen a sprinter with a road worthy for less than 2500 bux in a long time.... Maybe about a couple of years ago.

That said, an engine conversion is a lot of work. I mean, getting a mechanic to install it is one thing, getting an autoelectrician to mod the electrics is another, and even then, when you drive your car for the first few thousand kilometers, things will go funny, and that means more trips to the mech/electrician.

To say that you are jus going to spend 2k for the car, and 2k for the conversion is simply not a reality. Because even if you can get a car for 2k, and a decent conversion done for 2k, maintenece issues is going to be a b*tch, and it's going to mount up beyond the amount you expected. I think someone once said from the Club4ag forum that if you either buy a brand new Corolla ascent, or a GTS sprinter, in about 5 years time, you'll probably spend more money running the sprinter than the corolla.

So in general, not unless you are real good mates with a mechanic, or are mechanically minded and love the sprinter to bits, it really isn't a car for the half hearted. It's an enthusiasts car.

An NA 1.8 silvia is probably a better option if you want instant power, and better reliability, not to mention a plush interior.
So it's an either HELL YES!!! Bring on the Hachi, or it's a polite, I'll give it a pass.
celica162
Regular

May 2002
Re: AE86 conversions... Thu, 17 April 2003 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea, i dunno about an NA S13.... how are the turb ones?
what about an R32 GTST? how much are they?
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: AE86 conversions... Thu, 17 April 2003 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
With a $6K budget, it's a bit out of your range ... S13 Silvia turbo K's go around $10k at the cheapest and R32's around $14k these days I think.

You can get it cheaper privately but no benefit of a dealer's warranty. Plus insurance would be a killer for a turbo car. Crying or Very Sad

Ultimately, you decide which car is for you - the important thing is to know what you're getting yourself into. Smile
gurumaster22
Occasional Poster

April 2003
Re: AE86 conversions... Thu, 17 April 2003 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So I'm guessing $5000 is about the base estimate for the shop conversion.....
Maintaining the car afterwards will not be a problem though, it is just the initial conversion I have not got the time for.

Oh and trust me, it is HELL YES!!! Very Happy
Sprinta
Regular

September 2002
Re: AE86 conversions... Thu, 17 April 2003 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Edit: Double Post Smile

[Updated on: Thu, 17 April 2003 05:15]

Sprinta
Regular

September 2002
Re: AE86 conversions... Thu, 17 April 2003 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
btw.. If you go ahead with the gze conversion good luck with insurance.. Mine is a turbo gze and no one will touch me even if my mum rings up and says its her car etc... Ive tried shannons and the smaller companies too and as long as im a driver its a no go.. (im nearly 20)
Just something to consider...
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: AE86 conversions... Thu, 17 April 2003 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but insurance companies in perth suck balls Razz

Widowmaker
Regular

November 2002
Re: AE86 conversions... Thu, 17 April 2003 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shcao wrote on Thu, 17 April 2003 10:08

I mean seriously, drive in drive out engine conversions aint that cheap. Furthermore, sprinters aren't that cheap either.

Trying to find a sprinter for $2000 that is reliable is almost impossible. I mean, a 2000 dollar sprinter aint gonna be rock solid for long, cause it'll have little things to fix.

excuse me but i paid $2000 for my sprinter with 6 month's rego and its in bloody great condition there is no rust and only 2 small dings in the side , the engine is great as is the interior. all i needed was a new battery! and when i was cleaning it i found a receipt from 1984 under the back seat

Very Happy

[Updated on: Thu, 17 April 2003 08:04]

riceboy
Regular

December 2002
Re: AE86 conversions... Wed, 23 April 2003 13:44 Go to previous message
Celica162 use that $6000 to buy someone elses hard work. $6000 will buy you a pretty good sprinter with all the hard work done, maybe just some tidying up to do. To build a Sprinter for $6000 won't get you very far. Just wait a while, check out as many cars as you can. Don't rush your purchase but be ready to buy the moment you see the right car, they go quick.
I bought mine with alot already done and it meant i could spend my money where the car really needed it.
86front.jpg

Hey Ribbo, how's your sprinter going?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:MA71 Steering issues after Alignment/Tyres
Next Topic:Corona rear sway bar?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 12:51:30 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058720111846924 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.