Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
strober
Regular

June 2002
icon5.gif  GST or not Tue, 08 April 2003 10:45 Go to next message
guys i need financial advice... immediately
back in 1998 my father leased out a car with a car dealership. the contracts were written and signed.
60 monthly installments and at the end of 60 months a resiual value has to be paid so the car can be signed over from them (the dealership) to us.
during 2000 (i think) GST was introduced.
our monthly installments were not effected by it, the contract does not mention anything about GST.
now 60 months have passed and the residual value is due (tomorrow) and they want 10% GST on top of that.
can anyone help me with this problem?
i dont know who's right but hopefully the contract will prevail against the dealerships word.
thanks for your help
  Send a private message to this user    
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GST or not Tue, 08 April 2003 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Take the contract to a lawyer. Or phone up the tax department.

I can't tell you otherwise, as I havn't looked at the contract you signed with the dealer.

But I think that if there is a written amount for the final payment, then if they want to break contract and charge you a services tax, you can tell them that you'll pay the service tax, (GST), if they suck your balls. Very Happy
strober
Regular

June 2002
Re: GST or not Tue, 08 April 2003 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing
AhAHhahAhhaha!
thanx heaps Apollo, i'll heed your advice
i can imagine it now
i'll be stuck in court
"mr. van, how do you plead?"
"dad, tell him to suck your balls"
<achem> "Suck my balls, your honour"
ahahahahahahahha!!!!!!!!
Very Happy
DannyGT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member

May 2002

Re: GST or not Wed, 09 April 2003 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

you may find gst is a legal requirement regardless of what contract you have

the tax dept would have the laws re: the changeover

check out their site http://www.ato.gov.au

strober
Regular

June 2002
Re: GST or not Wed, 09 April 2003 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
man that link is too much to handle!
so far i've only found luxury car tax but nothing on GST on car purchases. i think it is compulsory...
thanks for the link danny
DTHCoCo
Occasional Poster

December 2002
Re: GST or not Thu, 10 April 2003 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i thought GST was meant to bring the prices of cars down Shocked tell em u want a refund Laughing
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GST or not Tue, 15 April 2003 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apollo wrote on Tue, 08 April 2003 21:41

Take the contract to a lawyer. Or phone up the tax department.

I can't tell you otherwise, as I havn't looked at the contract you signed with the dealer.

But I think that if there is a written amount for the final payment, then if they want to break contract and charge you a services tax, you can tell them that you'll pay the service tax, (GST), if they suck your balls. Very Happy

yeh try that dude.. they will probably bite your balls off..

let me check the legislation & rulings... get back to ya dood. Very Happy
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GST or not Tue, 15 April 2003 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's interesting that they could ask for a (GST-inclusive) residual (or "balloon") payment, when the contract was drawn up pre-GST.

Apart from consulting the ATO and your accountant, you may also wish to "carefully" peruse the wording of the contract, esp. as relates to the balloon payment...If it doesn't mention a "service" fee, you *may* have a leg to stand on. Again, however, check with the ATO, as it (the GST) may be applied retrospectively...

PS. The usual disclaimers apply re: advice and all that...
Evan_26
Regular

April 2003
Re: GST or not Tue, 15 April 2003 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What lease company ?
Nearly all of them had there contracts including a GST clause a long while before it was introduced.
Good luck.
E
strober
Regular

June 2002
Re: GST or not Tue, 15 April 2003 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys thanx for all your replies.
well i spoke it over with the dealership, and an accountant and a manager of a cracker factory and the conclusion is... YES i do have to pay for GST. its because after 60 months there are 2 options. pay the risidual value off and own the car or forfeit the car. paying residual value is the same as purchasing the car so GST will be included. well thats how it went down. we lost and the tax dept went home smiling. i could of used the money for sumthin more important too...
SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: GST or not Mon, 21 April 2003 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I guess you know the answer but the residual on the pre-GST leases that had a residual payment are GST-able only. Stupid rule they put down to keep the ATO happy with the introduction of the GST.
strober
Regular

June 2002
Re: GST or not Mon, 21 April 2003 12:53 Go to previous message
yeah, thats what i wanted to ask before. i dont reckon its fair that they can invalidate signed contracts
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Yogi and Luke's Own Thread
Next Topic:FLY-12A
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 07:48:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056750774383545 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.