Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
AE86nS13
Occasional Poster

April 2003
    huh?
icon5.gif  4A-GTE Questions Sat, 12 April 2003 15:54 Go to next message
Okay here's a few questions for all you 4A-GTE guys, now here in North Carolina (much less most of the US as I know) there's few to nill 4A-GTE AE86's so I got all excited when a friend linked me here. Now I recently got a turbo off a low mileage RB20DET my friend is using in his 240SX (S13) as he is upgrading his, the plan was to use it on my AE86 with a 4A-GZE bottom end and a blue top head. My questions are as follows:

1) For those of you using custom made turbo manifolds what dimensions did you make them. Where did you situate the turbo? What kinds of problems did you run into?
2) Do you know of any shops that sell manifolds, because here in NC there aren't any shops that aren't obsessed with Muscle Cars and it seems like it would be a pain to find someone qualified to make one.
3) What management are you using? Did you tune it yourself? If so what snags did you run into/ what features do you wish you had/didnt have on it?
4) What intercooler sizes do you recommend running?
5) What are you using for fuel systems, pumps, rails, injectors, etc.

Well thats about it for now. Thanks for your help! Very Happy
  Send a private message to this user    
AE86nS13
Occasional Poster

April 2003
    huh?
Re: 4A-GTE Questions Sun, 13 April 2003 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bump-skie
AE86nS13
Occasional Poster

April 2003
    huh?
Re: 4A-GTE Questions Sun, 13 April 2003 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also what engine managment are you using? Does it work with the stock computer (are you using 4ag or gze?) or is it stand alone?
Sprinter
Regular

September 2002
Re: 4A-GTE Questions Mon, 14 April 2003 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Howdy

A couple of answers:

1) I can't help with dimensions as I bought my turbo manifold.
2) HKS still manufacture the AE86 cast turbo manifold. I bought mine from Cyberspace Auto Performance in Florida for about 250USD. This takes a T25 flanged turbo, IIRC the RB20DET is a T3 type exhaust flange. Try also Teds Components in Canada I think. They are big with the MR2 guys over there.
3) I am using the factory computer (AE101 MAP variety) and a friend has used his factory setup (AE92 AFM variety). There are all sorts of options here though. I haven't set mine up but my friends uses a Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator (RRFPR) to address fuelling issues. He used a turbo from a RB25DET.
4) IC choice is a hot topic. Usually the FMIC (Front Mount InterCooler is the easiest option. You can use one from another vehicle is the available space is there or get one made. I think Spearco in the US have a big range. Check on http://www.club4ag.com forums to get an idea of what some of the other US guys use. My friend uses a cut down truck IC in a front mount. I will be using an Air/Water IC from a Subaru Legacy/Liberty RS Turbo.
5) It depends. What sort of boost will you run. Your existing lines and rail will be OK. You may need an upgraded fuel pump. If you don't have the 4AGZE injectors then you'll need some higher flowing injectors too.

Build your turbo motor from a 4AGZE and if possible build it from a later model import 4AGZE AE92 or AE101.

Take a look in the Technical Article section of this site for a buildup sheet on a 4AGTE. Also have a look at http://www.4agze.com as they have a 3 part article on this as well.

Good luck!!
Denis
AE86nS13
Occasional Poster

April 2003
    huh?
Re: 4A-GTE Questions Mon, 14 April 2003 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well this is my abbreviated plan...

Turbo: RB20DET turbo
Manifold: Custom by a local machine/exhaust shop that can handle the job...(I believe from what i've heard the HKS manifold won't work on my left hand drive car...Anyone know otherwise?)
Intercooler: Something small, probably something front mount from an Volvo/Saab/Mercedes turbo or a cheap one from a company like Spearco
Bottom End: hopefully out of a Japanese Levin/Trueno 4A-GZE..but if not out of an AW11
Exhaust: 2.5in. muffler shop special, minus cat
Fuel: GZE injectors, probably Bosch/FC RX-7 pump
Managment: Thinking MoTeC as they have an office in NC near me (what luck! one of two in the US!)

how does this sound?
What am i forgetting or going to over board on?
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4A-GTE Questions Mon, 14 April 2003 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like a reasonable plan to me - my original setup was with an RB20 BB turbo, JZA71 supra cooler, and even not properly tuned it made 141kw at the wheels - at the moment I'm using an RB25 turbo and proper intercooler - it's getting dyno'd tomorrow night, I'll letcha know what she does.
AE86nS13
Occasional Poster

April 2003
    huh?
Re: 4A-GTE Questions Mon, 14 April 2003 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What do you mean not properly tuned, do you mean not running management??
AE86nS13
Occasional Poster

April 2003
    huh?
Re: 4A-GTE Questions Tue, 15 April 2003 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr. Shin- Did you make your manifold or buy it?

AE86nS13
Occasional Poster

April 2003
    huh?
Re: 4A-GTE Questions Wed, 16 April 2003 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bump
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4A-GTE Questions Thu, 17 April 2003 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey peoples - sorry haven't been here for a few days...

I made both my intake and exhaust manifolds, neither of which was a particularly great challenge.

As for not properly tuned, I mean a combination of things - a leaky blow off valve, running lean and retarded timing - not a good thing by any means! I spent some time on the dyno with it the other night, only went to 152kw at the wheels, due to running out of time and still not fixing the leaky valve or ignition timing - got to get some more time there soon as I can. Oh yeah, and the 152kw wasn't recorded on a specific power run as such, just the maximum on the screen from various tuning exercises.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: 4A-GTE Questions Thu, 17 April 2003 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buy your motec from australia it will be much much cheaper, i can even give you a few maps so it will be cheaper to dyno etc. we go over to the states once a year for the biggest automotive and race trade show in the world so get to see all the latest in the states etc and i know what you guys are paying for a motec and its big money for the bottom units and can tell you it will be hard to find a good shop to tune it properly as there is not alot of experiance in the states at fuel injection. be careful whom you get to tune it. we sell them if you ever want one give me a yell and i give you a price and advice on the diffrent versions there are. it cooler is dependant on space, large one works well but can be a bit laggy but give the best cooling of the air charge. for over about 230 or so hp use 500cc injectors as the injector will be in the best duty cycle giving you the best spray pattern for horsepower. any other questions just ask.
mick

[Updated on: Thu, 17 April 2003 12:01]

AE86nS13
Occasional Poster

April 2003
    huh?
Re: 4A-GTE Questions Thu, 17 April 2003 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well last night I got the first two parts for the conversion. I picked up a turbo from an RB20DET and an intercooler from a Celica GT-4 (from Japan). I plan on making the GT-4 intercooler front mount, it's pretty large and the turbo is in excellent shape with around 20k miles on it. I'll post some pics later!

King- I'd definitely like to get a price quote and what maps could you give me? One's for other 86 Turbo's so I can just pull it on a dyno and fine tune everything b/c if thats it, that'd be great!! Drop me a line @ fourstringfish@aol.com

MrShin- Any tips/instructions for making those manifolds? Or just part lists for what you used to make them?! =D

About what PSI value should I start running a Blow off valve or should i get one from the start?

Thanks again guys, you've been a huge help compared to all the other places i tried. (Garage Dori, Club4ag) Thanks for the continued help!
AE86nS13
Occasional Poster

April 2003
    huh?
Re: 4A-GTE Questions Sat, 19 April 2003 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bumpskie!
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4A-GTE Questions Mon, 21 April 2003 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aloha AE86nS13,

Rex too is building a 4AGTE and if you look through or search the forums you'll find my recipe, because i cant be arsed going through it again.

Anyhoo, i too am building my own manifolds. It took just two weekends and some hard work to piece together my Turbo manifold and the Inlet will be even simpler.

At the moment its all together but is still only tack welded, because i need to find access to a die grinder before i fully weld, clean and finish it.

If you or anyone want details/pics just let me know.

Also all, if anyone wants one. I can make them for you it either runner or log type from steampipe (sorry no tuned length stainless yet Smile) and send anywhere (im pretty sure).

But there is a fair amount of muscle ache and a few blisters from the work so i would require some financial reimbursement Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Rex
AE86nS13
Occasional Poster

April 2003
    huh?
Re: 4A-GTE Questions Mon, 21 April 2003 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rex- I'd definitely like instructions/pics. I'm going to try to find you're reciepe. Also what are you charging for making them. You can respond here or email me at fourstringfish@aol.com

Thanks!
AE86nS13
Occasional Poster

April 2003
    huh?
Re: 4A-GTE Questions Mon, 21 April 2003 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also what rear ends are you guys using? Stock GT-S LSD rears I've heard have problems handling the torque of a turbo set up.
AE86nS13
Occasional Poster

April 2003
    huh?
Re: 4A-GTE Questions Wed, 23 April 2003 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bumpskie
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4A-GTE Questions Wed, 23 April 2003 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The rest of rex's driveline consists of 4AGZE flywheel and clutch then W50 and finally a S3 RX7 diff and Torsen LSD.
AE86nS13
Occasional Poster

April 2003
    huh?
Re: 4A-GTE Questions Wed, 23 April 2003 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can you tell me/show me pics of how you did your manifold Rex? (see above)
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4A-GTE Questions Sat, 26 April 2003 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay suckas!!! Very Happy

This is my 4AGTE turbo manifold. Basically its an uneven runner type (rather than log) with deliberately short runners to try and maximise the 1600ccs torque development. Note: that runner #1 had to be made to clear the CAS.

Its made from 4mm wall mild steel steam pipe bends both 45 and 90 degree with the larger radius (no tight curves) along with some 4mm walled straight tube then merged into a 4-1 collector. I tried to get the 4 runners to merge fluently and think it has come off relaitvely well. The ID is as close to the exhaust ports ID but as the exact size was unavailable the ID ended up being 2mm larger.

The flanges are 10mm plate wich i spent a long time finishing to a perfect port match. Other than that all of it was done with a hacksaw, 4inch grinder, MIG welder and a fucking mass of hard work

No, its not quite finished. It still needs to be welded, but id prefer to get a die grinder and clean it up as its being welded together. Also a new turbo flange needs to be made and have the bolt holes tapped because theres no room for the nuts.

Pics are below (links to speed load times)...

http://home.iprimus.com.au/thekirbys/Rex_o_rama/Re xManifold01.jpg

http://home.iprimus.com.au/thekirbys/Rex_o_rama/Re xManifold02.jpg

http://home.iprimus.com.au/thekirbys/Rex_o_rama/Re xManifold03.jpg

http://home.iprimus.com.au/thekirbys/Rex_o_rama/Re xManifold04.jpg

http://home.iprimus.com.au/thekirbys/Rex_o_rama/Re xManifold05.jpg

Any more just ask

Rex

Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4A-GTE Questions Sat, 26 April 2003 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As for making them for people, gimme a week or so and ill come up with some details/prices.
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4A-GTE Questions Sat, 26 April 2003 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's some pretty good work dude, that must have been fun. Smile
I so wish I had a Mig welder!
AE86nS13
Occasional Poster

April 2003
    huh?
Re: 4A-GTE Questions Sat, 26 April 2003 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn Rex that looks good! Thanks for the info!! And post up those prices when you decide on them!
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: 4A-GTE Questions Sun, 27 April 2003 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
man, that turbo looks farking huge! what is it?

i have been thinking about starting to make turbo manifolds, maybeye for money even. just need to get a hold of my cousin's spare MIG for a while.

ing recard to the no room for nuts, you could try using slots rather than holdes, so you can slide bolts with low profile heads in from the side maybeye.

nice work.
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4A-GTE Questions Sun, 27 April 2003 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
'Tis a turbo from an R32 GTSt Skyline, the nice roller bearing type. As for size its roughly T28 sized, but Nissan didnt have any size markings.

Its about mid-sized. Ive used it because quite a few people have had very good results with it.

But being a common flange, i have some leway to bolt on a bigger or smaller one should the need arise.
AE86nS13
Occasional Poster

April 2003
    huh?
Re: 4A-GTE Questions Mon, 28 April 2003 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Rex this may sound dumb, but where did you get the materials?
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: 4A-GTE Questions Mon, 28 April 2003 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a friend of mine has a gtir motor, T28 turbo, yours looks bigger, but then the SR20 is a fatter motor i suppose.

i think if i ever get around to turboing a 4AGE i will want a split-pulse turbo, but a single would still be pretty damn cool.
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4A-GTE Questions Mon, 28 April 2003 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86nS13,
I the flange plates i got from a local scrap yard. The bends i got from a place which pretty much sells metal bends of all types for a huge range of applications within the food/wine industry. The straight pipe came from a place thet the bend people recommended because they dont do straight pipe.

It took some time to find a supplier for the bends. In the end i just rang up a well respected performance shop and asked nicely who they got their bends from, they were very nice about it too.

Shiny,
The R32 GTSt uses the RB20DET which is a 2000cc inline 6. When i first heard thet people were using the RB20DET Turbo i thought that it would be way too huge. But it turns out it is the perfect size for a moderately powerd 2L 6cyl or a well powered 1.6L 4cyl.

Why split pulse in particular? Im also not too sure what you mean by a single as opposed to a split pulse? I know what 'split pulse' is but not sure exactly what you mean by 'single'.

[Updated on: Mon, 28 April 2003 10:32]

shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: 4A-GTE Questions Tue, 29 April 2003 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybeye i should have said "i would want to run a twin entry turbine, as opposed to single entry turbine"

from what i have read, twin entry turbos spool faster than their equivalent single entry brothers, but BB turbos are also meant to spool quicker.

the bends were pretty cheap, yeah? from what i have heard they aren't crazy expensive, and they come with the bevelled edges to make welding more effectiv (more penetration etc)

just read a largish textbook on welding tech, interesting.

good luck with the motor!
AE86nS13
Occasional Poster

April 2003
    huh?
Re: 4A-GTE Questions Tue, 29 April 2003 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey what'd you get the flanges off of? Another header or something?
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4A-GTE Questions Tue, 29 April 2003 09:23 Go to previous message
Shiny,

I get yer now. Yes Twin entry turbos are supposed to spool up a little faster. But it relies on grouping two runners together depending on firing order which can be tricky for a backyarder depending on thir skill/space constraints.

Personally i wouldnt think that there is any real advantage to split pulse turbo in this situation or any situation really except for a stock road car. I would concentrate more on a smooth collector and keeping the gasses moving fast. More than likely the two smaller entry points would cause a greater restriction when the engine starts to flow more (higher load/rpm).

Bends werent really cheap, about $4-5 each on average from memory. Affirmative on the bevelled edges too. The problem is wasting a few of them during the project because of mind changing and errors and shit.

As for welding I looking at getting a welding tech book soon, but for the time being its practice, practice, practice.

AE86,
Nup, 5the flange plates were just two lumps of 80mm*10mm extruded mild steel bar/plate that just happened to be the right length for the job, lucky find really.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:injectors and fuel pump upgrade for a 1g-gte
Next Topic:Testing coils
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 21:41:57 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055789947509766 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.