Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Possum Borne critical after Accident!!!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

icon8.gif  Possum Borne critical after Accident!!!! Fri, 18 April 2003 07:02 Go to next message
10 to one it was the other guys fault

Possum Critical
  Send a private message to this user    
Widowmaker
Regular

November 2002
Re: Possum Borne critical after Accident!!!! Fri, 18 April 2003 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm so this means his out of the rally of canberra ?
toycelica77
Regular

February 2003
Re: Possum Borne critical after Accident!!!! Fri, 18 April 2003 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IRA11Y wrote on Fri, 18 April 2003 17:02

10 to one it was the other guys fault

Possum Critical

lets not lay blame til lthe accident investigators have checked it out, okay?
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Possum Borne critical after Accident!!!! Fri, 18 April 2003 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apparently he's quite unwell, with broken limbs, head, abdominal and chest injuries.

Let's hope the head injuries are minor, and that he pulls through.
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Possum Borne critical after Accident!!!! Fri, 18 April 2003 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unfortunatly the only thing i can add is the fact that the place it happend near sounds like wanka, but with a really cheesy italian or somthing similar accent

Wanaka...wanka....Wanaka.....wanka
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon8.gif  Re: Possum Borne critical after Accident!!!! Sun, 27 April 2003 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyone heard any more about this?!?!
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Possum Borne critical after Accident!!!! Sun, 27 April 2003 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well that sucks doesn't it...
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Possum Borne critical after Accident!!!! Sun, 27 April 2003 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Last medical update was on Thursday and all it said was that he was still in a "drug induced coma" for head injuries. I could speculate, but without knowing more than that, it would be highly inappropriate.

Check his website for regular updates.

Was there any mention of his condition on RPM?

IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Possum Borne critical after Accident!!!! Sun, 27 April 2003 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Basically they said the same...still in an induced coma in serious condition there was talk of brain damage earlier in the week.

If I was driving the car that hit him I would be finding an nice hole to hide in if thats the case.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Possum Borne critical after Accident!!!! Sun, 27 April 2003 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The talk was that the other car did in fact veer on to the wrong side of the road.

Starting to get a very bad vibe about this.
Laurie D
Regular

March 2003
Re: Possum Borne critical after Accident!!!! Sun, 27 April 2003 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I believe his condition has been downgraded from critical to serious. Let's all hope he recovers.
Laurie D
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Possum Borne critical after Accident!!!! Sun, 27 April 2003 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Friday report:
Quote:

Top contender Possum Bourne was seriously injured in an accident on the Waiorau Snowfarm Road this afternoon, when the road car he was driving collided with another competitor entered in the Silverstone Race to the Sky this weekend.

Event Director Grant Aitken said a convoy of competitors driving road cars were inspecting the road under controlled conditions with official lead and a tail cars monitoring speed.

Possum was travelling down the road in a Subaru Forester.

"He was on the correct side of the road and wearing a seat belt at the time," said Mr Aitken.

"It would appear that dusty conditions may have contributed to the collision between Possum and the driver of the last car in the convoy, Mike Barltrop. Police are investigating the exact circumstances of the accident."

Police estimate that the speeds of both vehicles were less than 60 km's.

Emergency service vehicles were on the scene within minutes and Possum was airlifted to Dunedin hospital where his condition is described as serious. Barltrop suffered a broken leg but his passenger was uninjured.

Possum was the favourite to win this years event, said Mr Aitken.

"It's unfortunate for those of us involved in motorsport that invariably competitors are injured in road accidents after thousands of kilometres in competition injury free."

The Silverstone Race to the Sky will go ahead as planned with practice commencing Saturday morning and the final Race to the Sky event on Sunday

Tuesday report:
Quote:

Medical staff at Dunedin General Hospital, New Zealand, remain comfortable that Subaru Rally Team Australia driver Possum Bourne's condition is where they would expect it to be at this stage of his treatment.

However, his condition does remain serious but stable and he will continue to remain in a drug induced coma.

Possum's sister, Kristine Game, said: "No-one should underestimate the challenge Possum faces, but he is fighting as hard as those that know him would expect him to. We are blown away by the level of support, and so will Possum be when he sees the response he has created, which is staggering.

"We are a strong family and we are going okay. It's tough but we're hanging in there and the extended family we have in the rally fraternity is also helping us greatly."

Messages can be left at the website www.possumpwrc.co.nz on the message board, or faxed to New Zealand 09 238 5737. (From Australia: 0011 64 9 238 5737).

Ive also heard somewhere that both his legs are broken quite badly... he had sugery on them, and plates inserted on both.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Possum Borne critical after Accident!!!! Mon, 28 April 2003 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doesn't say much for the safety of a Subaru Forester now does it?
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Possum Borne critical after Accident!!!! Mon, 28 April 2003 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No it doesnt.

Although i saw some footage of the accident, looks like the other guy was driving a 4WD (a big Jeep somthing) and hit head on.

Only another large 4WD would have had a chance.
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Possum Borne critical after Accident!!!! Mon, 28 April 2003 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(sorry, double post)

[Updated on: Mon, 28 April 2003 05:15]

Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: Possum Borne critical after Accident!!!! Mon, 28 April 2003 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just saw this on 10 news. Sadly it seems that doctors will be turning off Possums life support systems this evening after he failed to recover from severe injuries. This is sadly ironic as it was to be Possums biggest year in the WRC, he was even doing a number of international events combine with his ARC events..I think there is still hope, but its very small. Best of luck Possum.
rob-ae86
Regular

November 2002
Re: Possum Borne critical after Accident!!!! Mon, 28 April 2003 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep they just shut it off
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon9.gif  Re: Possum Borne critical after Accident!!!! Mon, 28 April 2003 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
R.I.P. Possum Borne.

Nope
mikey_m
Regular

September 2002
Re: Possum Borne critical after Accident!!!! Tue, 29 April 2003 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is He???..............I cannot Say it
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Possum Borne critical after Accident!!!! Tue, 29 April 2003 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mickey, he died Crying or Very Sad
mikey_m
Regular

September 2002
Re: Possum Borne critical after Accident!!!! Tue, 29 April 2003 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I Lift my Hat to the man, He is such an inspiration to me, I have been following his performace and work over the past few years, I had only just started to really get into Rally Driving.

It is a sad that this happened
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Possum Borne critical after Accident!!!! Tue, 29 April 2003 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, a tradgic loss to the world of motorsport.

I think i speak for all of Toymods when i say, our hearts and hopes go to his family and the rest of Possum Bourne Motorsport.

Good luck on your journey to the great 'special stage in the sky'.

Goodbye and RIP Possum Bourne...

Rex
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Possum Borne critical after Accident!!!! Tue, 29 April 2003 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A Gentleman and a racer. Now I'll never have a chance to compete against the man who gave me my first rally trophy and I aspired to be like. RIP Possum Bourne, the world will never see another.
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: Possum Borne critical after Accident!!!! Tue, 29 April 2003 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RIP Possum Borne 2003. He was one of Australias(if not the worlds) best rally drivers. Our thoughts are with his family, friends and team.
SCO-77K
Regular

January 2003
Re: Possum Borne critical after Accident!!!! Tue, 29 April 2003 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RIP mate!!
its a sad sad time for motorsports Sad
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Possum Borne critical after Accident!!!! Tue, 29 April 2003 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Argh... stop it.
He hasnt passed away yet.
Dont believe what you see on the TV news or anywhere else.

The only reliable plce to get news is here:
http://www.possumpwrc.co.nz/ReadyUpdate/daily.asp

Cmon Possum... you can get through this...
mikey_m
Regular

September 2002
Re: Possum Borne critical after Accident!!!! Tue, 29 April 2003 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*** Sigh ***

great News to Hear
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Possum Borne critical after Accident!!!! Wed, 30 April 2003 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would check the previous section mate, he passed away around 11.00 oz time last night... I would like to request a minute of slience....
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
icon9.gif  Re: Possum Borne critical after Accident!!!! Wed, 30 April 2003 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad

Bulletin No. 47 | WEDNESDAY 30TH APRIL 2003 (GMT+12:00)

Possum Bourne, New Zealand's most successful rally driver died peacefully surrounded by his wife Peggy and their family in Dunedin Hospital at 12.58 am (NZ time) today, Wednesday 30 April.

Possum never regained consciousness after being involved in a traffic accident on the Snow Farm Rd in the Cardrona Valley near Lake Wanaka in Central Otago on Good Friday, April 18.

He was air lifted from the crash site with head injuries and two broken legs to Dunedin Hospital where he remained in the Intensive Care Unit in an induced coma ever since.

Possum's wife Peggy, his mother, two sisters, brother, other close family members and friends have maintained a 24 hour bedside vigil over the past 12 days.

Possum's medical condition has been monitored constantly, including several CT Scans.

In the accident he suffered a rotational head injury, resulting in diffuse axonal injury, and over the week developed multiple areas of brain infarction.

Following a series of neurological tests and the latest scan a decision was made in the best interests of Possum to withdraw the life support system gradually from Monday afternoon.

On behalf of Possum's family I would like to thank the staff at Dunedin Hospital for all the care they have lavished on Possum.

The family would also like to acknowledge the thousands of emails, faxes, cards, flowers and other messages of support they have received over the last 12 days.

At this time the family does not wish to make any personal statements and I would ask you respect their position and not intrude in their time of grief.

Possum is survived by his wife Peggy and three children, Taylor , Spencer and Jazlin .

Funeral details will be announced at a later date.

Possum was a great man. A great sportsman and New Zealander. A great son, brother, husband, father and friend. His spirit and memory will live on.

[Updated on: Wed, 30 April 2003 06:31]

IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Possum Borne critical after Accident!!!! Wed, 30 April 2003 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
consider my minute taken....

several times over in the last week

Sad
ae86trueno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Possum Borne critical after Accident!!!! Thu, 01 May 2003 00:10 Go to previous message
Sad Sad Sad
I thought i might shed some light from a reliable source about the accident itself.
Which yes by the looks of was entirely his fault but not auctally being there just speculating. The car that hit Borne's car was the last in a ine of about 18 cars, when the last car realised he was on the wrong side of the road swerved onto the embankment went up and because they were in a 4WD, the 4WD auctually tipped on the roof of Borne's 4WD. Sad Sad

Ben
AE86 Trueno 4AGE
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Possum Bourne:Sideways Forever
Next Topic:For Possum
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 19 17:53:55 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0063409805297852 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.