Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Mon, 28 April 2003 10:08 Go to next message
For the guys out there with GT4's, Mr2 turbo's, Supra turbos , and Turbo/supercharged old celicas/corollas ( or heavily modified )

What on average do you pay for your full cover per year - and who do you go thru

Im with shannons - rating one - For the Gt4 - 24 yo - very good driving record and up for a grand and a half per year ..

is this common they other companies????

This is for FULL cover - not third party.
  Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Mon, 28 April 2003 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm very interested in this subject as well! Particularly TA22's with conversions Confused

TA22 + 3S-GTE is going to be an insurance nightmare Evil or Very Mad
Helmann
Regular

July 2002
Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Mon, 28 April 2003 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
89 supra turbo
full comp
28yo never lost licence
2 speeding fines in last 5 years
just cars.
$1000
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Mon, 28 April 2003 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona 1GGTE full house mods $674pa
Comprehensive, 24yo male, rating 1, no claims, 1 fine (well 2, but one was 4y and 11½months ago so they didn't care).

Supra 7MGTE light mods $1600pa when i was on rating 2 last year, age 23. I took TPPD instead, that is $299 this year

Be aware that your postcode has a HUGE impact. Sydney callers double prices Smile
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Mon, 28 April 2003 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7M-Brisbane wrote on Mon, 28 April 2003 20:50

Comprehensive, 24yo male, rating 1, no claims, 1 fine (well 2, but one was 4y and 11½months ago so they didn't care).

Supra 7MGTE light mods $1600pa when i was on rating 2 last year, age 23. I took TPPD instead, that is $299 this year

Be aware that your postcode has a HUGE impact. Sydney callers double prices Smile

What companys?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Mon, 28 April 2003 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
was gonna say, a grand and a half a year for full comp on a gt-four is a good price... but you're in vic, so it's cheap

it's going to cost me $600 for 3PP on my supra Sad
Eddo
Occasional Poster

April 2003
Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Mon, 28 April 2003 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm interested in what i'll be up for after i start modifying my 2001 camry. if found this thing which i think is an online insurance broker thing, i haven't tried it out yet, but it looks ok. heres the site that i saved as favourites: http://www.gng.com.au/motorquote.html, lets see if this will help anyone.
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Mon, 28 April 2003 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was quoted $2700 a year for full compo on a rather stock mk2 supra(5m-ge and w57gb)
i'm 18, in perth, clean driving licence(no fines or anything) and have a 30% NCB

Sucks to be young somtimes
Soarin
Regular

June 2002
Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Tue, 29 April 2003 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I pay $2400 for my sotckish 93 Soarer 2.5GT, I'm 18 (need to check my NCB!).
ytri
Regular

June 2002
Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Tue, 29 April 2003 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Soarin, who is that through?
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Tue, 29 April 2003 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn!! Some cheap quotes there, but as someone else mention, Sydney is FUCKED. I pay $2000 with mods for NA Supra JZA80, 22 in Sydney South west Rolling Eyes
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Tue, 29 April 2003 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its not exactly modified, but last time my quote was:

just cars,

AE86 sprinter, australian spec standard

800 a year for TPFAT

2500 a year for full comp.

i would have been 21 at the time, never had any fines or any accidents or anything.

i am thinking of going and buying a commondore or something.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Tue, 29 April 2003 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm with Shannons. Over 25. Lots of speeding tickets. Full no-claim. All mods listed.

$220 for 3rd party.
$750 for comprehensive.

Smile
St3ve_AE92
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Tue, 29 April 2003 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just cars want $2341 for comp and $691 for 3rd PP off me...im still deciding

4agze ae92 corolla sx
No accidents, no claims, no fines. 19yrs old. Confused

shannons was too expensive
nrma wont touch me (supercharged)
young and cool wont touch me (supercharged)
vigil said that an ae92 was too new for their computer systems... Shocked
TRACTION_ISSUES
Regular

May 2002

Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Tue, 29 April 2003 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ALL mods listed (for those of you that know, there is a shitload!), 60% NCB, 2 speeding and 1 neg driving in past 5 years, 1 write off in past 3 years, AGREED value (i aint telling you what that is!)......

$1494.76 year......full comp of course

VIGIL insurance

oh, and im 22

[Updated on: Tue, 29 April 2003 08:09]

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Tue, 29 April 2003 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much over 25 nark ?

Power to weight im guessing the 1ggte ra65 and mine stock as it is would be about the same - though driving record and age seem to be the thing to lower insurance premuims

im at 60% ncb though as well
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Tue, 29 April 2003 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm 26...

Being housed in Canberra is a HUGE bonus though. Especially compared to the Cabra region...
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Tue, 29 April 2003 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im in Country Vic - away from all the mainstream nasty people - wierd !

would have thought it would have been cheaper - since less theft risk
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Tue, 29 April 2003 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
instead of starting a new insurance thread i will post here:

my olds rang Just Cars (who im with) and they said they dont do fire and theft for 3rd party in NSW.

is there a way i can get fire and theft on the car while still being insured with just cars 3rd party?
Mijbril
Regular

April 2003
Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Tue, 29 April 2003 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KOFFEE-BLACK wrote on Tue, 29 April 2003 10:44

Damn!! Some cheap quotes there, but as someone else mention, Sydney is FUCKED.

I'm in Sydney too (near Parramatta). Pay $1800 for the GT4.

I'm 35 with max no claim bonus & near perfect driving record (speeding fine in 1990 & driving without licence in 1991 are my only driving offences).

Insured with Swann for an agreed value.

So, if I lived anywhere else other than Sydney the cost would be significantly less??

Sigh..... Sad
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Tue, 29 April 2003 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fark phil, that's great value!
sikmr2
Regular

January 2003
Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Tue, 29 April 2003 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
25, couple of fines, rating 1, $1047 per year with just cars. they take into account all the mods and the engine conversion. Other companies wont even touch engine conversions.
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Tue, 29 April 2003 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would like to know how u get away with it all so cheap here in sydney im have had 2 speeding fines suspension of licences once, have an mr2 turbo gt with mods they ask for 6,000 what the hell am i doing bad i also have 40%ncb (im 21) it was just cars that offered me that price..... i still pay 800 for third party... i just realised im getting ripped hard!
rdraginrolla
Regular

July 2002
Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Thu, 01 May 2003 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was paying $1700 pa for a 97 Rv Corolla 1.8L (rip off!)

Now paying a tad under $1000 pa for 01 Magna 3.5L? Razz

Im 22, had about 5 speeding fines, no claims so full no claim bonus.

Nrma rules, they let me have a faster car cheaper! Very Happy

Wa! Surprised

ytri
Regular

June 2002
Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Thu, 01 May 2003 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn... The cheapest qoute I've had in recent times, is $8800 for full comp from just cars. Mods arent too bad, no speeding fines or licence suspensions or anything. Im 21 and probably dont live in the best neighbourhood, but i can damn near get another soarer imported for that price!

In the end I got 3rd party withOUT fire and theft for $475
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Thu, 01 May 2003 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Nark,
What is your agreed value?

We are paying 700+ for a KE70 Corolla with 100KW 4AG and almost $900 for the 1U-powered Cressida. Full comp. Both in 30's with 70% NCB...I think we're getting ripped off here!!! Mad
BTW. We're also in Canberra, car is off-street in lock-up Garage...
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Thu, 01 May 2003 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Agreed value is $10k.

How long have you been with Shannons? I've been with them 4-5 years now...
Are the cars classed as private? Maybe there's a different insurance rating on the different suburbs?
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Thu, 01 May 2003 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

7M-Brisbane wrote on Mon, 28 April 2003 20:50

Quote:

What companys?

Both vehicles are insured with Just Car Insurance
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Thu, 01 May 2003 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Maybe there's a different insurance rating on the different suburbs?

Huge difference. I work in the insurance industry - your price can double by moving 10 mnutes up the road. All about statistics.

Insure 100 cars in postcode 1234 and have 10 customers claim... then insure 1000 cars in postcode 4321 and have 20 customers claim. Double the risk, double the price Sad

Simple as that. Well, not exactly, but you get the idea.
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Fri, 02 May 2003 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
www.justcarinsurance.com.au

try them, they are an underwrite of AAMI
they have pretty good prices
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Sun, 04 May 2003 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Justcar. yeah pretty cheap

sydney, 22yo, 1 speeding ticket last year, 50% ncb.

they quoted me $3472.00 for a 1j mx83 cressida insured for $8500. no other mods.

what a frigging joke, i could buy a new one every three years.
should i even bother looking at other companies?
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Sun, 04 May 2003 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
geez sorry for trying to help
u dickhead
Mijbril
Regular

April 2003
Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Sun, 04 May 2003 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
speakafreaka wrote on Sun, 04 May 2003 21:04

they quoted me $3472.00 for a 1j mx83 cressida insured for $8500. no other mods.

22 is young to own a performnce car.

I didn't bother trying to own anything except average crap cars for years. Got my no claim bonus as high as possible first & waited until I was a little older

I usually advise people under 25 (or 29 sometimes even) not to buy a sports car at all because of the insurance. As you say, in 3 years you've bought another one.

But if you just gotta have that car & you can afford it.... Smile Wink

Edit : But if you really trust yourself as a driver, perhaps theft & fire maybe sufficient??

[Updated on: Sun, 04 May 2003 12:30]

Soarin
Regular

June 2002
Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Mon, 05 May 2003 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ytri wrote on Tue, 29 April 2003 10:23

Soarin, who is that through?

Got the insurance through a broker when I bought the Soarer with Suncorp Metway. Oh yeah, clean record (seems rare for an 18 year old these days!) Razz

EDIT: Sorry for replying late, haven't been on the boards for a while.

[Updated on: Mon, 05 May 2003 01:31]

speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Mon, 05 May 2003 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wasnt saying anything about you str8 2.8, i was just letting people know of my experience.

did you have a big weekend or somthing? =p
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Mon, 05 May 2003 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh sorry, i didnt realise there were others with justcars
i thought u were referring personally to me
sorry mate didnt mean to get workd up

Embarassed
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Mon, 05 May 2003 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Think about what their prices say - particularly with reference to your last comment.

Basically what they're saying is that your vehicle will be written off or stolen within the next 3 to 4 years. They're a business, not a charity.

And for whoever that said they are an underwriter for AAMI, that's not correct. AAMI is the underwriter (ie. financial backing) and Just Car Insurance is the agent (ie. the group that sells you the product).
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Mon, 05 May 2003 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no 'r'.
underwrite, not underwriter.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Mon, 05 May 2003 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they are underwritten by aami
aami underwrite them
aami are the underwriters
Mijbril
Regular

April 2003
Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Mon, 05 May 2003 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7M-Brisbane wrote on Mon, 05 May 2003 21:30

Quote:

Think about what their prices say - particularly with reference to your last comment.

Basically what they're saying is that your vehicle will be written off or stolen within the next 3 to 4 years. They're a business, not a charity.

And for whoever that said they are an underwriter for AAMI, that's not correct. AAMI is the underwriter (ie. financial backing) and Just Car Insurance is the agent (ie. the group that sells you the product).

Compare what you would pay for just coverage against fire & theft compared to comprehensive insurance. The difference in quite marked.

It's not so much the theft they are worried about (cars get stolen from people of all ages), but the fact that statistically, as a young lad, you're more likely to end up wrapped around tree.
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Tue, 06 May 2003 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok Laughing i think we all realise that aami is the underwriting agency and justcar is a specialist agent.

[Updated on: Tue, 06 May 2003 02:09]

FLYNSX
Regular

May 2003
    flyn
Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Tue, 06 May 2003 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got a seca sx supercharged with all mods u can think of i am on a probayional licence at the moment 3 speeding fines 2 neg driving fines etc ful cover $2800 a yr. Iam with just cars as well rating 1 no clams just cars and suncorp metway i think are the 2 best to get insurance with. Iam in sydney, with 3rd party just cars only do 3rd party property they dont do firer and theift every other state they do. BAH NSW
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Tue, 06 May 2003 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just went through Suncorp Metway's site as well as I could, trying to match my car with the options. For full comprehensive they want $1721.84 a year, but they wouldn't insure to the $8000+ I wanted, so that was for agreed value $5k.
Mijbril
Regular

April 2003
Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Tue, 06 May 2003 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Tue, 06 May 2003 13:18

Just went through Suncorp Metway's site as well as I could, trying to match my car with the options. For full comprehensive they want $1721.84 a year, but they wouldn't insure to the $8000+ I wanted, so that was for agreed value $5k.

I had that trouble with AAMI.

They wanted $1700 per year to insure the car for $9000 & they would not insure the car for any more than that.

Now I'm with Swann, costs $1800 to insure the car for $15000.

Go figure Rolling Eyes
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Tue, 06 May 2003 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, it'd be interesting to see what they'd say when I ring them up later on. Still, I didn't think it was over the top considering the mods to the car, me being 19 too.
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Tue, 06 May 2003 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you have a lightly-modified car or a poor driving history, the trick is to get a job with an insurance company. They'll cover anything Wink

I do the insurance for staff members for my company.. just insured a 19yo with a WRX and two losses of license due to speeding after being employed by the company for less than a week Smile
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Fri, 09 May 2003 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive found something decent...

Vigil Car Insurance / underwritten by QBE Merc : http://vigilins.com.au
1jz-gte cressida, male 22yo, sydney, 1 speeding fine.

Comprehensive / year
$1390.18

Very Happy woot Very Happy

[Updated on: Fri, 09 May 2003 07:55]

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Fri, 09 May 2003 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fark!
that's *good*
contact details?!

what's your agreed value? (if you dont mind me asking)
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Fri, 09 May 2003 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$8000
www.vigilins.com.au
do an online quote and they should get back to you in around two days max.

i spoke to anica - 03 9855 5793
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Fri, 09 May 2003 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah
they're great
"sorry, we do not insure the toyota supra"

fags
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Fri, 09 May 2003 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahah SUPRA!

full sik skidz!
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Fri, 09 May 2003 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that's so gay
difference between a cressi and a supra with 1jzs in both? buggerall

or a celica with a 1jz? very little, except the supra will be safer and slower.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Fri, 09 May 2003 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its all in the name
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Fri, 09 May 2003 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah they wont touch the Soarer either. Ewww IMPORT!!! No No No
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Fri, 09 May 2003 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Note to self, get car licenced as Celica and not Supra Smile
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Fri, 09 May 2003 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcome to my world..
we insure imports, but not modified cars.
besides this justcar was the only one and they quoted me ~$3400.

I kept saying exactly the same thing.

sorry about getting your hopes up.. try another broker
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Fri, 09 May 2003 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I should've got it regod as a celica
the registration lady looked very confused when I said "it's a celica-supra, or a mark two supra, it's known by both names"
she kept typing in celica, and must've asked me 3 times if it was 2.4 efi (after I told her it was 2.8 (tee hee))

my friend went through someone for his 180sx modified.. cost him about a grand for a $16000 agreed value. I'll find out waht it is and get back
87seca
Regular

May 2002

Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Sun, 11 May 2003 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pay $3200 a year full comp, through NRMA, all mods are listed as well.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Sun, 11 May 2003 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehehe... nrma.
they dont like hearing "engine conversion" ever, let alone "2.5 twin turbo"
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Compro insurance - What do you pay for your turbo/modified? Sun, 11 May 2003 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
NRMA quoted me $9000/pa when I first bought the Supra!!

I told them I bought the car for $8400 and they said that's life!
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Nissan - 350z ala Rendezvous'
Next Topic:i cant acces cars for sale properly atm
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 16:54:49 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0097281932830811 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.