Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

seats for sprinter Mon, 21 April 2003 03:20 Go to next message
ok, wanting to put some new seats in the sprinter, checked out some Peugot ones that were adopted to a sprinter but sat way too high.

So what have others used? and how hard were they to get in?
  Send a private message to this user    
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: seats for sprinter Mon, 21 April 2003 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dunno, but bump

look around at a jap wrecker, or buy aftermarket seats
Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: seats for sprinter Mon, 21 April 2003 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wanting something cheaper so didn't really want to go aftermarket
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: seats for sprinter Mon, 21 April 2003 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whats wrong with the stock ones>?. Im just bolstering and re-trimming the stock ones.
Widowmaker
Regular

November 2002
Re: seats for sprinter Mon, 21 April 2003 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rex_Kelway wrote on Mon, 21 April 2003 22:27

Whats wrong with the stock ones>?. Im just bolstering and re-trimming the stock ones.

they have no support at all Laughing

Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: seats for sprinter Mon, 21 April 2003 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Errrrr...

Rex_Kelway wrote on Mon, 21 April 2003 21:57

bolstering

Widowmaker
Regular

November 2002
Re: seats for sprinter Mon, 21 April 2003 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rex_Kelway wrote on Mon, 21 April 2003 23:21

Errrrr...

bolstering

Errrrr... ok you are going to attain the support of even the cheapest sparco with a bit of bolstering while make it look just as good.

[Updated on: Mon, 21 April 2003 13:26]

Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: seats for sprinter Tue, 22 April 2003 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much is that costing you?
and umm what is bolstering? Im guessing give some sort of extra support
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: seats for sprinter Tue, 22 April 2003 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You could try some importers for AE86 seats from the JDM models ... there were a couple available up here for $100 a pair. The oversea models appear to have more support, particularly the lumbar area where there is a pump.

Other seats that fit with little mods (or so I've read) are the MR2 AW11 seats although they sit a bit high.

I've solved my prob's by buying a pair of reclining Autotecnica seats. Relatively cheap but the fitting's what costs the most re mod plates, welding etc.

If you're interested, I'll let you know how well they fit in the Sprinter using the existing rails ... when I get the car back tomorrow hopefully. Smile
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: seats for sprinter Tue, 22 April 2003 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have seen an AE86 with SW20 seats in it and they looked quite good. Apparently the owner just had to cur off a little tab (so you can still use the boot and fuel hatch release), and drill out one of the bolting holes slightly.

Just something to add to your current choices
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: seats for sprinter Tue, 22 April 2003 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

The oversea models appear to have more support, particularly the lumbar area where there is a pump.

unlike the local variant, which jams a sharp piece of metal into your back when you try to adjust the lumbar support
Widowmaker
Regular

November 2002
Re: seats for sprinter Tue, 22 April 2003 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so fitting MR2 seats is an easy job ? sw20 ones ?
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: seats for sprinter Tue, 22 April 2003 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Widowmaker wrote on Mon, 21 April 2003 22:56

Rex_Kelway wrote on Mon, 21 April 2003 23:21

Errrrr...

bolstering

Errrrr...

Errrr, I see... Smile

I cant speak as to how you want your interior to 'look'. But alas i shall endevour to answer the questions put forth.

Personally i prefer a simple, clean and neat appearance. After all, it is to be my street car. Thats why im not going for brand-name sports or racing seats. Also i feel that there is nothing wrong with the OEM seats, they suit the car/interior quite well.

Doing this i also dont have to worry about unwanted attention or legality issues and can integrate/customise the trim as per my wishes while not having to shell out for new seats and getting them retrimmed (the dollars all add up).

However when it comes time to go racing, then ill fit a super lightweight race seat that can be bolted in and out for meetings.

As for bolstering, its a simple as pulling off the trim/cover and contact gluing some additional foam to build the desired shape into the seat. However pay attention to the density of the foam and where you plan on placing it.

EG, mine will be built up slightly in the lower back for support and the sides (back and deck) to add a little more lateral support (bucketiness).

The cost for both seats is not too much at all really. Foam $30 max, Material $150 max and the book that taught me custom auto trimming/upholstery was $59.

Seriously i dont care how 'totally lame' some other sad young pimply git might think my interior is (will be). I will have done it all myself and at a small fraction of the cost that others will have paid. And that i can be proud of.

[Updated on: Tue, 22 April 2003 12:01]

Widowmaker
Regular

November 2002
Re: seats for sprinter Tue, 22 April 2003 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Seriously i dont care how 'totally lame' some other sad young pimply git might think my interior is (will be). I will have done it all myself and at a small fraction of the cost that others will have paid. And that i can be proud of.

hahahahahaha "how some other" so your a totally lame , sad , young , pimply git aswell ? yeah there are afew of us about Very Happy

take a chill pill dude , i was asking how a few bits of foam could acheive the same support as a cheap racing seat. but i guess i will be taking my car out on the track and thus the need a good seat not just a oem seat with some noew uphosltry. But i cant agree more how making something yourself is worth it.

[Updated on: Tue, 22 April 2003 13:16]

Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: seats for sprinter Tue, 22 April 2003 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Widowmaker wrote on Tue, 22 April 2003 22:46

hahahahahaha "how some other" so your a totally lame , sad , young , pimply git aswell ? yeah there are afew of us about Very Happy

take a chill pill dude , i was asking how a few bits of foam could acheive the same support as a cheap racing seat. but i guess i will be taking my car out on the track and thus the need a good seat not just a oem seat with some noew uphosltry. But i cant agree more how making something yourself is worth it.

Errrr... Laughing

It really wasnt aimed at you or anyone in particular. Just all those tools who laugh because its stock as opposed to being fully decked in half arsed wannabe roccas race gear, if you understand the sort of people im refering to.

Errrr...
J-AE86
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: seats for sprinter Tue, 22 April 2003 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha rex my type of guy Very Happy
but i do like after market seats just that i don't know how much its going to cost i just need the drivers side, when i take corners quick i slide in the car like anything and the seat gives me back pain Confused
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: seats for sprinter Tue, 22 April 2003 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Rex ... totally agree with you on this one ...

Despite all my bro's prompting to get the interior retrimmed, I always just frown and say that my car ain't one of those riced Auto-saloon cars with leather upholstery etc etc.

Man ... the car's meant to be driven so why shell out more to make her inside more luxurious? Beauty's only skin deep so I don't really care about the insides ... heh heh ... I just started to paint my engine bay myself last weekend but it's gonna take more than just 2 spray cans of red engine paint. Even though it looks bodgey, at least I had / am having fun doing it. Smile

Back onto the topic though, I only went with the aftermarket seats given that my originals had been knifed & torn in several places. I've put up with this for over a year now but to reupholster them again didn't seem worth it - these 20 year old seats were just crying out for relief.

I did consider getting the JDM AE86 seats however was quoted around $100 minimum to get each seat reupholstered. As such, it didn't seem so bad shelling out an extra $150 for brand new Autotenica seats however this decision's not exactly proving cost-effective given the mod-plate costs I'll now have to bear. Mad

Well ... hopefully the new seats will make it worthwhile though ... it'd be the final touch to my car Cool
barbel
Regular

May 2002
Re: seats for sprinter Wed, 23 April 2003 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

i'v got gt4 seats in mine, quite comfy. the drivers has plenty of adjustments and sits pretty much the same height as the standard ones, the passenger one sits a little higher
Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: seats for sprinter Wed, 23 April 2003 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanx for the replies

gt4 and mr2 sreats hey hmmm
how much the gt4 ones cost?
how much work to make them fit?
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: seats for sprinter Wed, 23 April 2003 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey man, I've been looking into a seat upgrade for mine for a while now, & after sitting in 2 seperate rebolstered & retrimmed sets of celica seats I'm convinced that this is the way to go.
The price of this should be less than second hand import seats, won't require any mods, & won't require engineers approval. They also both looked a shitload better than the standard seats, and provided heaps of support. And were soooo much comfier than my crappy old seats!
A guy I used to work with used to be a trimmer for recaro & gave me the name of a dude in Chatswood he recommends if you're interested.
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: seats for sprinter Thu, 24 April 2003 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just got me car back from Ares Speed yesterday after stereo and seat installation ...

Um ... the seats are a bit big as you can see from the pics but they still fit. My only warning is that make sure the seats you choose are LOW ... I thought the Autotecnica seats were low enough but even at its current height, I have to recline it back a lot in order to see my instrument cluster (the steering wheel blocks the top part).

I know that Riceboy with his Jamex fixed bucket seat experiences the same problem. At least I am able to recline mine.

Cost a bit to have it engineered + welded but it is definitely more comfortable whilst driving. I don't roll from side to side as I used to before. Very Happy

Here're the pics of my new office:

http://www.members.optushome.com.au/magneticrose/Sig2.JPG
http://www.members.optushome.com.au/magneticrose/Seats3.JPG
http://www.members.optushome.com.au/magneticrose/Seats1.JPG
http://www.members.optushome.com.au/magneticrose/Seats2.JPG
J-AE86
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: seats for sprinter Thu, 24 April 2003 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
very nice
i m jealous now hehe Very Happy
Yeeehah
Regular

May 2002
Re: seats for sprinter Thu, 24 April 2003 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well if you got the cash you can't beat SR recaros (integra style), there bloody comfy and there's three holes for height adjustment.
Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: seats for sprinter Thu, 24 April 2003 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that looks so nice...
yea ive noticed how low the sprinter seats sit, and need something that sits as low
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: seats for sprinter Fri, 25 April 2003 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try late rx7 or mr2 seats
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: seats for sprinter Sat, 26 April 2003 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or levin seats........i got a set of ae101 levin seats which will *eventually* find their way into my ta22...
Widowmaker
Regular

November 2002
Re: seats for sprinter Sat, 26 April 2003 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dodgy haro how much was it to have the seats engineered ? did it affect your insurance ?
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: seats for sprinter Sun, 27 April 2003 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seat mod plate cost me $120 ... which seems to be the right price around the $100 range. I could have put in racing harnesses as well but I thought that it'd have been overkill if I did for a street car and given I still want to retain the practicality of a 4 seater.

As for insurance, I doubt if it'd affect it (I'm with Justcars) however I wasn't sure if this is something I ought to tell them about ... sort of like fitting an aftermarket steering wheel.

However, given the seats are ADR approved and have been engineered, I doubt it'd affect my premiums. I've already told them it had suspension work recently and they didn't really seem to care how far I dropped it as long as it was legal. Confused
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: seats for sprinter Sun, 27 April 2003 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
grega,
not telling you to suck eggs or anything but have you measured them up yet??
i know my ae101 seats are too wide to fit into a ta22. physically dont fit.
not sure about ae101 levin seats though, they may be different
cheers

gabe
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: seats for sprinter Sun, 27 April 2003 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gabe, not real keen on eggs anyway dude Wink

appreciate that. i havent got around to measuring em yet, so, i don't even know if they'll fit!!!
c2888
Regular

May 2002

Re: seats for sprinter Mon, 28 April 2003 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got GT-4 seats in my sprinter too.. A race bucket would be nicer, to get the seating lower, but at $150 for the pair i reckon it's the best mod in my car.

JDM hachi
Regular

February 2003
Re: seats for sprinter Mon, 28 April 2003 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you know anyone with an st182 or posibly later celica then try the seats from these a friend had some in his sprinter and the factory seat rails (from celica) from memory bolt straight in to the sprinter. i guess if you dont know anyone with a celica just ask for a try before you buy from the wrecker. or better still the recaro in my levin bolted up to the factory seat rails (after drilling out the rivet) and seem to be at the correct height (but im not exactly 6'6") buy a pair from a jap importer and either install both (but they are heavy) or just one and sell the other to some one on these forums, it looks like it wouldn't hang arround too long with the responses to this thread.
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: seats for sprinter Mon, 28 April 2003 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Y'all probably dont care, but...

I just re-read my previous posts and think I may have given some the wrong idea. I am actually quite fond of sport seats (eg Cobra/Recaro Recliners) provided they are 'tasteful'. But i dont see the point in having 'race seats' in a streeter.

Widowmaker
Regular

November 2002
Re: seats for sprinter Mon, 28 April 2003 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rex_Kelway wrote on Mon, 28 April 2003 20:45

Y'all probably dont care, but...

I just re-read my previous posts and think I may have given some the wrong idea. I am actually quite fond of sport seats (eg Cobra/Recaro Recliners) provided they are 'tasteful'. But i dont see the point in having 'race seats' in a streeter.

yeah i totally agree and if i was restoring a ae86 or anycar for that matter for just street use i would get the interior redone to how it came from the factory, but since i want to experience the ae86 out on the track abit ( yes im going to be careful , i dont want to damage my hachiroku ) i want a bit more support and when i do get a good seat im only getting the driver one because its not like you take passengers out on the track ... well sometimes with a video camera but then ya dont fly around anyway Very Happy
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: seats for sprinter Tue, 29 April 2003 09:43 Go to previous message
Carefull? Bahhh, Try Darefull Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Best engine for a '79 Corona Liftback.
Next Topic:injectors and fuel pump upgrade for a 1g-gte
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 03:34:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059700012207031 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.