Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » AE92 specs??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
NuGeN
Regular

April 2003
AE92 specs?? Tue, 29 April 2003 15:48 Go to next message
I want to get an ae92 as my first car (would prefer ae86 but too expensive nowadays). Could someone direct me in the right direction of the specs of ae92's? Whats the difference between an ae92 sx and gti? How much do sx's and gti's go for nowadays? I saw an sx in the paper a while ago for 4800 would that sound about right? How hard would it be to put a 4a-ge into a cs spec ae92? etc etc.

Any info would be helpful

btw I think I posted in the wrong section? How would I move it? Im new...

[Updated on: Tue, 29 April 2003 16:07]

Send a private message to this user    
Toy SX
Regular

April 2003

Re: AE92 specs?? Tue, 29 April 2003 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G'day Nugen,

Check out this link at twincam16 forums

http://pub131.ezboard.com/ffwdtoyotafrm24.showMess age?topicID=8.topic

It explains the differences b/ween the SX and GTi. As for costs I'm not sure, maybe one of the other guys can help you there. The thing about buying a car like that, somehow you gotta make sure that the engine hasn't been thrashed to bits 'cos you'll end up buying yourself a pile of junk.

Hope that helps.
cam_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
haha, funny little head!
Re: AE92 specs?? Tue, 29 April 2003 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SX & GTI's generally go for between $6500 and $8000 depending on condition and mods of course. I've seen them as low as $4000 and as high as $13000 for stock cars. I picked up my SX for $5750 from victoria then got it sent down here to tassie. It was in near perfect condition apart from the usual stuff like worn seats.

You are much better off waiting for a good SX or GTI to come up rather than putting a 4AGE in one of the lesser class models. It will be cheeper and you get lots of other extras. Not sure about the GTI but the SX comes with stock discs all round, alloy wheels, front/rear spoilers, colour coded, sports dash, central locking, leather steering wheel & gear knob & some other stuff.

In my opinion the SX is better than the GTI although the GTI is newer. I like the SX more mainly from the front grill, bumper and indicator setup. I read some where that the GTI is slightly slower 0-100 time, not sure why, weight difference maybe???
Toy SX
Regular

April 2003

Re: AE92 specs?? Wed, 30 April 2003 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cam_RA40 wrote on Wed, 30 April 2003 08:59

Not sure about the GTI but the SX comes with stock discs all round, alloy wheels, front/rear spoilers, colour coded, sports dash, central locking, leather steering wheel & gear knob & some other stuff.

In my opinion the SX is better than the GTI although the GTI is newer. I like the SX more mainly from the front grill, bumper and indicator setup. I read some where that the GTI is slightly slower 0-100 time, not sure why, weight difference maybe???

The SX did not come with colour coded rear spoiler, that's on the GTI, however this is a minor point Smile

Quote from twincam16 forums

"With the introduction of the GTi several things were changed. The GTi got :
- Bigger front brakes (258mm dia * 22mm thick vs 238mm dia * 18mm thick)
- A new front bumper and grille
- colour coded hatch spoiler
- The GTi lost it's factory mags as were fitted to the SX Hatch, which were replaced with steel wheels and hub caps
- The interior of the GTi was downgraded with cloth trim used instead of the velour trim of the earlier SX Hatch.
- The GTi had optional CD Player and Power windows
- Different decals
- The SX Hatch was only available in white or red but the GTi came in white, red or gunmetal grey

Both the SX Hatch and the GTi Hatch had as standard :
- Power mirrors
- Central door locking
- Air Cond was optional on ALL models
- The "sports" dash with 6 gauges. If it doesn't have this it ain't a genuine SX or GTi
- Factory "sports" (yeah right) steering wheel and gear knob
- Four wheel disc brakes
- Power steering"
Julz
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: AE92 specs?? Wed, 30 April 2003 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Both the SX Hatch and the GTi Hatch had as standard :
- Power mirrors

From what I'm led to believe, only the SX came with power mirrors standard. Did the GTi get rear headrests and 2 tier centre console compartment standard? I'm pretty sure they both got inner door storage compartments but can someone confirm?
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: AE92 specs?? Wed, 30 April 2003 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Power mirrors and central locking were definitely not standard on the GTi (mine doesn't have either of these from the factory).

The GTi didn't get rear headrests, but that's a bonus in my eyes as these make rear visibility terrible. Also, SX has the better centre console lid as Julz mentioned.

I have a Toyota spec sheet at home somewhere showing everything that was standard and optional on the two models.. I'll see if I can dig it up from wherever it is.
LadySX
Regular

May 2002
Re: AE92 specs?? Wed, 30 April 2003 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The time difference a/4 mile between the two from memory is about .06 seconds. Minimal, but as long as its the SX taking victory I aint gonna complain Smile
NuGeN
Regular

April 2003
Re: AE92 specs?? Thu, 01 May 2003 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How about common problems with these cars? (ae92's in general)
Should there be things I should look out for?
Actually what should I look out for in general when buying a car???
Toy SX
Regular

April 2003

Re: AE92 specs?? Thu, 01 May 2003 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just look for rust in the door archways, start the car and check for smoke. Usually, black smoke = running too rich, blue smoke = burning oil (engine in trouble i believe), white smoke = steam/condensation (though i've been told this isn't always the case)

If you're planning to buy say an sx or gti, check how smoothly the gear changes are 'cos if say you're buying from somebody who's thrashed it around, gearbox might be stuffed (correct me on this 'cos this is based on my experience when looking).

Again, this is what I've been told and done before, so whether you take it seriously is up to you Smile
LadySX
Regular

May 2002
Re: AE92 specs?? Thu, 01 May 2003 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, definitely check that the gearbox doesn't crunch. My gearbox was *&$%#$ when I got my car, second was crunchy, never smooth Sad
I was wondering why when we took it for a test drive he specifically said "Please don't thrash it" grrrrrrrrrr

Also check the oil levels as they have a tendency (especially at the age they are) to burn a lot of oil.
NuGeN
Regular

April 2003
Re: AE92 specs?? Sat, 03 May 2003 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hm... how about the differences between cs, csi and csx??
Should i be aiming for atleast a csi? Is having efi an advantage? Why are there so many 4a-g(e)'s with carbies around??
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: AE92 specs?? Sun, 04 May 2003 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you will also find at www.4agze.com that there is a spec's page that gives the performance figures for all the 4a series motors in their respective cars.
Ok, there are lots of 4A-FC motors out there because they were what was offered on the povvo model corolla's. Ill give a quick rundown of what model AE92 corolla had what motor.

CS, CS-X, CS Limited: 4A-FC, narrow angle twincam head, 16 valve, carburetted
CSi, CSi Limited: 4A-FE, narrow angle twincam head, 16 valve, EFI
SX, GTi, FX16: 4A-GE, wide angle sports twincam head, 16 valve, EFI

You can also find on the articles page on www.toymods.org.au the explanation of Toyota engine codes.

The CSi isn't a bad model to start with, but if you have the extra few $$$, get yourself the SX, since they have the nicest interior, the 4A-GE motor, the bigger brakes, and all the extra features that the FAQ section of www.twincam16.com explains.

I had an AE92 CSi, not bad at all. But the dash lacked a tacho, and the interior was pretty povo compared to the SX.
LadySX
Regular

May 2002
Re: AE92 specs?? Sun, 04 May 2003 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Definitely go the SX, or GTI even if you have to. The price difference with the other models isn't that much more, especially when you consider that you will probably keep the car a while.
NuGeN
Regular

April 2003
Re: AE92 specs?? Sun, 20 July 2003 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hm... What about the ae92's with the holden nova badging??
I heard that there are one's with 4a-fe and disk brakes at the back?? Is that true??
NuGeN
Regular

April 2003
Re: AE92 specs?? Sat, 06 December 2003 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How about csi versus csi limited?
And cs versus cs limited?
What are the differences?
I know the the limited cars have a tacho... but is that all?
How about trim? Options?
Oh and also what is the redline for a 4a-fe?
Julz
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: AE92 specs?? Sat, 06 December 2003 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Hm... What about the ae92's with the holden nova badging??
I heard that there are one's with 4a-fe and disk brakes at the back?? Is that true??

The Novas with rear discs are probably the 1.8 7AFE SS or SLX models (Toyota did NOT put this engine in the AE92 corolla hatchbacks. Only in the RV Sécas) I'm not sure if the 4AFE's had a rear disc option but anything's possible.
RUFF
Newcomer

December 2003
Re: AE92 specs?? Sun, 07 December 2003 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NuGeN wrote on Wed, 30 April 2003 01:48

I want to get an ae92 as my first car (would prefer ae86 but too expensive nowadays). Could someone direct me in the right direction of the specs of ae92's? Whats the difference between an ae92 sx and gti? How much do sx's and gti's go for nowadays? I saw an sx in the paper a while ago for 4800 would that sound about right? How hard would it be to put a 4a-ge into a cs spec ae92? etc etc.

Any info would be helpful

btw I think I posted in the wrong section? How would I move it? Im new...

I just bought a 2/92 GTI with approx 180thousand K on it for $3000-00 Registered till April next year. It needed a windscreen and 2 tyres and i replaced the Cam belt and waterpump as well as all the seals under the Timming case. Its in almost mint condition other than a dodgy repair on the front bar and filler panel under the grill.

Its red and has had 2 Previous owners. Its as stock as a rock and has never had any mods at all.
It doesnt have elect mirrors or windows but its got the factory CD player.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AE92 specs?? Sun, 07 December 2003 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
btw, not ALL SXs come with power windows. Mates '89 one does not have 'em.
Matt20v
Regular

September 2003

Re: AE92 specs?? Mon, 08 December 2003 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey
get an sx dont worrie about even thinking about the others seriouse i wish i new more be4 i brought my car (94 rv) as if i realised i would have brought a SX they are so much more sportier and that dash dam it dont be silly and do what i did try and get an sx even if u get one with a heaps good interior and great body and shit engine who cares import a 20v u will lov it i do hehehe
cheers
go the SX so much better...and more options.
matt
NuGeN
Regular

April 2003
Re: AE92 specs?? Mon, 08 December 2003 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matt20v wrote on Mon, 08 December 2003 11:14

Hey
get an sx dont worrie about even thinking about the others seriouse i wish i new more be4 i brought my car (94 rv) as if i realised i would have brought a SX they are so much more sportier and that dash dam it dont be silly and do what i did try and get an sx even if u get one with a heaps good interior and great body and shit engine who cares import a 20v u will lov it i do hehehe
cheers
go the SX so much better...and more options.
matt

hm... too late i've already purchased a ae92 csi. I actually find the engine quite adequate for my needs. But i wouldn't mind an sx strut brace, intruments, brakes and suspension.
whatcrazyguy
Occasional Poster

November 2003
Re: AE92 specs?? Wed, 10 December 2003 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey there.
i know a guy who is selling his strutt brace from his ae92sx. He got hold of a trd strutt and damn its cool.
i think he wants $80 for it but would probably part for $50
If i could make a sugestion, when you start lokking at mods, things like the hatch and front end and such talk to just jap imports. you can get the jap spec rear hatch for about $300, it has a full rear wing, (same style as the aus version) but its not just the shell. its fully enclosed and comes with a brake light in the wing aswell as behind the glass. much cooler. you can also get the folding wing mirrors from them too. with your one just watch for rust in the rear hatch around the plastic under the glass. i just got rid of my csi that was starting to have this come through. If you do some hunting you can get the rear brakes swaped to the drums from an sx for about $500-$600. but be carefull if you start swapping the front end around. this is a very touchy area as the ae92 came with about 4 different front ends. i tried putting mine together to like an sx. the series one front bar will leave a gap around the head lights if used with the sreies 2 side panels. i live in the penrith area if you are anywhere around there drop me a line.
whatcrazyguy
Occasional Poster

November 2003
Re: AE92 specs?? Wed, 10 December 2003 12:59 Go to previous message
sorry. just saw your location but keep in touch. i replaced the csi with a 1992 gti. if you have any questions just ask and ill see if i can help.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Installing 205 into RAV4
Next Topic:SC14 in BMW
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 10 10:21:55 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.11665296554565 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.