Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
7mgte83
Regular

January 2003
always carry a fire extingisher Sun, 06 April 2003 23:55 Go to next message
I am sure there are plenty people out there who already do have an extingisher in their car but in case you don't and you have a modified car go and buy one and install it today!

I found out the hard way the other night. I had only driven my car for the first time that morning since the 7m conversion. I was busy for most of the day and did not get a chance to drive it properly till that night. So in the evening I went and picked up a mate and then headed of to another mates place. I was still being careful and was by no means driving it hard but when I got onto my first peice of gravel road, just down from my mates place, I decided to have a bit of fun. So I went nice and carefully around the corner then once the road sraightned I let her out a bit. Hit boost in second and and as I expected she fish tailed nicely and the same again in third. I was enjoying myself nicely until my mate pointed out that there was a bit of smoke coming from the gearstick, I immediatly thought oh shit Ive roasted the clutch, but on looking up and seeing flames coming from underneath the bonnet I said a little more than shit.

It turned out that I had routed the remote oil filter lines too close to the turbo and once it got hot enough the pressure had burst it, spraying oil all over the engine bay starting with the hot turbo. Fortunatly using my jumper the coolant resevour a pale ale and a fire extingisher that my mate brought pretty quickly when we rang him, the fire didnt burn for very long.

I am going out today to buy some new oil hose a shit load of degreaser and a fire extingisher to mount in my car. If you dont already have one I recommend you go and get one today.
  Send a private message to this user    
ra23celicachick
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: always carry a fire extingisher Mon, 07 April 2003 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You're bloody lucky.
I actually nearly lost one of my car's to fire on the weekend. I laugh at it now, actually I did then cause the car isn't my pride and joy but anyway, my RA40 hadn't been started for a while and my brother and dad insisted there was petrol in it cause they could see it squirt out of the jets when trying to fire it over but it ran out last time I was driving it. So my dad decided to pour petrol strait down the Carby. Anyway it backfired into the container of petrol,set the container alight which he threw into the air, set his jeans alight, the carby had a fire in it and so he was smothering that with a rag while trying to put himself out and the burning container landed in the grass and caught the grass on fire so my brother was trying to stomp that out. No one was hurt luckely

They then decided to put the petrol in the tank and not down the carby.
7mgte83
Regular

January 2003
Re: always carry a fire extingisher Mon, 07 April 2003 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like quite an entertaining little comedy act Laughing
I can laugh at it now that I know there was no damage but I assure you that I wasn't laughing at the time. It's not a nice feeling when you look up to find flames and black smoke pouring from under your bonnet.

One of my mates was saying yesterday that when his codia caught fire he just said screw this, bailed and sat on the other side of the road and watched it burn.

leebroozlee
Regular

November 2002

Re: always carry a fire extingisher Mon, 07 April 2003 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good idea..they're only like $20 for a little extinguisher right?
Matt16v
Regular

I supported Toymods

February 2003
Re: always carry a fire extingisher Mon, 07 April 2003 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no, they are more. i think about $50.. but whats $50 when your life, even worse, your car is involved??

one of these saved my house, and my mates RX3 that he had poured $60k+ into the past 8 years. a boot full of C-16, and the car being under my garage roof.. the plastic fuel line for the pressure gauage had caught on fire.. Shocked Shocked

hmm.. s#$t happens.. thank god it didnt blow..

Micbod
Regular

February 2003
Re: always carry a fire extingisher Tue, 08 April 2003 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can get extinguishers from BIG W for around $30.00.

Defiantley a good investment... Had them in my last two cars.....
7mgte83
Regular

January 2003
Re: always carry a fire extingisher Tue, 08 April 2003 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I bought a decent Quell extingisher from the local hardware store yesterday for about $40 and thats a decent sized one. all I did was teck screw it to the floor in front of the passenger seat.
its deinitly a worthwhile investment, the jumper I ruined trying put the fire out on saterday cost more than that.
leebroozlee
Regular

November 2002

Re: always carry a fire extingisher Tue, 08 April 2003 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fyi:

KMart has some Fireater fire extinguishers for $19.99
Mitre 10 has an Exelgard fire extinguisher for $29.95

No idea what sizes though.
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: always carry a fire extingisher Sat, 19 April 2003 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmmmm guys just a lil bit of info.... you most likely know already but oh well my 2 cents.

Its not just a matter of buying "AN EXTINGUISHER"!! Just a thought but do you guys know what type of extinguisher you are buying?? ie. Dry chemical, water, foam??? This I beleive is important!! Water will do jack shit to an engine fire!!

Adrian!!

PS: If you get a dry chem one, every now and then turn it upside down and a bit of a pat and shake as sometimes the powder settles at the bottom of the cylinder and then it comes time to use all you get is a "pffft" and nothing!!!

St3ve_AE92
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: always carry a fire extingisher Sat, 19 April 2003 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I bought a fire extinguisher (dry chemical) from supercheap for $21.20 today. (20 % off everything Very Happy ). Just wondering where the best place to mount ot would be?

7mgte, u screwed it to the floor....where else?

and thanks for the tip SPEEDCORE
7mgte83
Regular

January 2003
Re: always carry a fire extingisher Sun, 20 April 2003 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$21 you can't complain about that.

and yeah dry chemical is the way to go, they usually say what type of fire they're for

Im not sure how much room there is in sprinters but mounting it on its side along the trans tunnel is another option. Some people mount or keep them in the boot but every second can count if you want to save your car.
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: always carry a fire extingisher Thu, 24 April 2003 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I reckon the best and easiest place for an extinguisher in the car is in the passenger footwell on the side of the transmission tunnel...

I'll have one there and one in the boot aswell... Just incase the amps get a bit hot...
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: always carry a fire extingisher Fri, 25 April 2003 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The only thing about those Supercheap fire extinguishers are that them brackets (plastic) break easily! Mad

Mine broke so this is how I mount mine:

http://www.members.optushome.com.au/magneticrose/Seats1.JPG

Hah hah ... Cool

Autobarn ones cost around $50 but you get a metal bracket I do believe ... that is perhaps where all the extra dosh goes.
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: always carry a fire extingisher Sun, 27 April 2003 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I tried to fit mine on the trans tunnel and it can't go there Sad Sad Sad ...

I dunno where to mount the in-cabin one now... I'm thinking infront of my seat on the floor...
7mgte83
Regular

January 2003
Re: always carry a fire extingisher Tue, 29 April 2003 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mounting it on the floor in front of either front seat works well just slide the seat forward as far as it will go then mount it so its nearly touching the seat.

as for the broken bracket, one option would be to mount a piece of metal to the floor or wherever then use zip ties to attach the extingisher, if you couldn't snap a couple of zip ties when your car is on fire then you mustn't love your car enough! Smile
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: always carry a fire extingisher Tue, 29 April 2003 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7mgte83 wrote on Tue, 29 April 2003 10:23

as for the broken bracket, one option would be to mount a piece of metal to the floor or wherever then use zip ties to attach the extingisher, if you couldn't snap a couple of zip ties when your car is on fire then you mustn't love your car enough! Smile

Laughing Laughing Laughing ... that was funny ...

Somehow I don't picture myself doing that ... already had problems when my previous grill was attached by zip ties ...

I might as well use a shoe lace or something. Confused
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: always carry a fire extingisher Tue, 29 April 2003 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why move the seat forward as far as it will go??? The extinguisher will be in my way then... If for some reason I need to move the seat forward (I have a 5 door), I'll remove the extinguisher from the bracket and slide the seat forward...
7mgte83
Regular

January 2003
Re: always carry a fire extingisher Tue, 29 April 2003 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aah sorry you know us self centred supra owners, only think in terms of two door Laughing
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: always carry a fire extingisher Wed, 30 April 2003 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anymore than two doors is a waste

mk2 owner and proud of it baby Very Happy

BTW glad to hear your whole car didnt go up
7mgte83
Regular

January 2003
Re: always carry a fire extingisher Thu, 01 May 2003 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought it was going to when I first saw the flames, scared me a hell of alot more than the occasions when Ive been in or close to having car accidents with other people driving
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: always carry a fire extingisher Thu, 01 May 2003 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7mgte83 wrote on Wed, 30 April 2003 08:42

aah sorry you know us self centred supra owners, only think in terms of two door Laughing

Hehehe... Thats what I thought... Hence why I wrote that my car is a five door... I thought you might've forgotten...
7mgte83
Regular

January 2003
Re: always carry a fire extingisher Fri, 02 May 2003 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats nothing, you should see the strange looks I get when I get into the back seats of 4door cars via the front Rolling Eyes
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: always carry a fire extingisher Fri, 02 May 2003 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hahaha...

That wouldn't surprise me with you Supra owners Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy ...
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: always carry a fire extingisher Sat, 03 May 2003 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what always gets me is having the seatbelt for the front seat so damn far forward in 4-door cars.
I go to reach behind the seat to get it, and it's nearly in front of me!
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: always carry a fire extingisher Sat, 03 May 2003 04:24 Go to previous message
you cant go wrong have a extinguisher in the car.
my friends premier had an engine electrical fire, and luckly he had the equipment to fight the fire.
justin
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:a nice highway patrolman or 2 *shock!*
Next Topic:RA23 vs 202 LH torana
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 19:38:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.016055107116699 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.