Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Interstate Cruises and Events » NT/TAS » Canberra boys help?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
black_fox
Occasional Poster

March 2003
Canberra boys help? Sat, 22 March 2003 03:41 Go to next message
Hey,

Am new to the rolla scene but I just got myself a sprinter.
It has a 4AGE in it and rear disc brakes with a lsd. My question is I bought it interstate so what do I have to do to get it registered (will I need an engineers report) and also which place would I have the best chance at passing my car?

Thanks,

Mikey

[Updated on: Sat, 22 March 2003 03:53]

Send a private message to this user    
jezz
Regular

January 2003
Re: Canberra boys help? Sun, 23 March 2003 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not that hard i just brought my new celica in from vic you just need to take to an rta inspection place my personal preferance is discount tyres in erindale depends where you are but they generally are not assholes other than that do you need an engineers cert for anything on your car?
trent_kershaw
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Canberra boys help? Mon, 24 March 2003 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
has it been engineered by the previous owner for the 4AGE and rear end? If not, I think you're gonna have to get an engineers certificate.
celica28
Regular

May 2002
Re: Canberra boys help? Mon, 24 March 2003 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trent is correct. The car will need to be presented to an engineer to verify that the engine and the brakes are adequately setup. Then you can take it to Dickson Motor registry. Why Dickson, you may ask. as the car is modified it MUST be presented to Dickson Motor Registry. The local inspectors are not permitted to approve the car for ACT rego if it has been modified and if the do they can have the inspection licence suspended or cancelled. It is not worth the hassle for them.

black_fox
Occasional Poster

March 2003
Re: Canberra boys help? Mon, 24 March 2003 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Right,

So that means if I can get the previous owners engineering sheets it will do? I won't need to worry about getting another engineer to look at them here? Ok if I need an engineer here in the ACT who and how much? Also I must take it to the pits in Dickson? how tight are they and will it be a real battle to get my car registered with them?

Sorry this is all new to me...
trent_kershaw
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Canberra boys help? Mon, 24 March 2003 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Provided your car is roadworthy, you won't have any problems with Dickson. People say that they're tighter than other places, but that is due to the others being too lenient.

The Dickson guys are fair. If the car deserves to be passed it will be.
celica28
Regular

May 2002
Re: Canberra boys help? Tue, 25 March 2003 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You are not quite on the ball black_fox.

If the car is engineered in another state and you can provide the original papers proving that this car is engineered as it sits, then you can have a local engineer inspect and verify that the car is as the interstate engineers certificate says it is.

Should the local engineer find any deviation away from how it was engineered interstate then you will need to have the car re-engineered.

This can cost up to $1,000 just for engineering.

The engineers charge $125 + GST. Not cheap but well worth the money to ensure the safety of you and your passengers.

Trent is correct about the fairness of Dickson inspectors.

TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Canberra boys help? Tue, 25 March 2003 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
save yourself the hassle, return it to standard, and sell me the LSD! Very Happy

I need traction! 5.02 seconds to 100kph is not quick enough!

cheers
Phil
black_fox
Occasional Poster

March 2003
Re: Canberra boys help? Wed, 26 March 2003 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh no... I'm keepin the LSD
like it or lump it?

Ok so who are the resident engineers I can speak to?
And $1000 are you serious?
trent_kershaw
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Canberra boys help? Wed, 26 March 2003 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the $1000 figure is quite credible. I've heard a few stories of people actually having to pay more than that....

Remember, if the car has already been engineered in another state it won't cost anywhere near as much to get it all checked.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Canberra boys help? Wed, 26 March 2003 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
look up KZ engineering in the white pages. The engineers name is John Wilson.

Phil
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Canberra boys help? Wed, 26 March 2003 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep...John has engineered both of my cars (100KW 4AG into KE70 and 1UZ into MX83). Cost approx $500 each.

ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Canberra boys help? Thu, 27 March 2003 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=celica28 wrote on Tue, 25 March 2003 19:21]You are not quite on the ball black_fox.

If the car is engineered in another state and you can provide the original papers proving that this car is engineered as it sits, then you can have a local engineer inspect and verify that the car is as the interstate engineers certificate says it is.

Should the local engineer find any deviation away from how it was engineered interstate then you will need to have the car re-engineered.

ACT engineers, engineer to NSW standards, if the car is NSW registered, present car and engineers report to Dickson. Job Done.

Regards Chuck.

black_fox
Occasional Poster

March 2003
Re: Canberra boys help? Fri, 28 March 2003 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah it's QLD engineered... This should be a fun and expensive ride then I take it???
AE86
Regular

May 2002

Re: Canberra boys help? Mon, 07 April 2003 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I might be missing something here, but is the Sprinter originally an Oz spec one, or an import from Japan?
black_fox
Occasional Poster

March 2003
Re: Canberra boys help? Thu, 10 April 2003 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oz spec, with the aforementioned gear.

Also am looking for an auxilary air valve. The car can't hold idle till it's warm in this chilly canberra weather...

Anyone know where and how much?
Widowmaker
Regular

November 2002
Re: Canberra boys help? Sun, 20 April 2003 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey its nice to see another sprinter guy in town Very Happy

you dont have to goto dickson to get it passed , infact they probably wont pass you there just go to another licensed place and they can do it but you still need it engineered first which can cost $500 up.

we should get some other sprinter guy's around for a cruise ... although mines stock at the moment im working on that situation Laughing
black_fox
Occasional Poster

March 2003
Re: Canberra boys help? Mon, 21 April 2003 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wait a sec I thought engineered vehicles had to go through the pits in the ACT. I know they don't in NSW lucky sobs... Are you sure I can take it to any liscensed inspector. Cause I hear dickson are really tight.
celica28
Regular

May 2002
Re: Canberra boys help? Wed, 30 April 2003 11:34 Go to previous message
Get your facts right boys. If a car is modified and requires inspection, it must be taken to Dickson. Yes they are tough, but reasonable fair.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Canberra people meet for drinks and pool idea's?
Next Topic:CCG Web page
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 22:13:55 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053558349609375 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.