Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Cressida owners - how do you wire up the elec antenna?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
binny
Regular

March 2003
Cressida owners - how do you wire up the elec antenna? Thu, 17 April 2003 23:10 Go to next message
As the title says,
I just installed a CD player in my '89 mx83 and cannot work out how to get the electric antenna working. there seems to be at least 3 wires from the factory deck that go direct to the antenna. I have tried the trigger wire from my new deck on all of them and nothing seems to work. Some of you others must have aftermarket stereos, how did you get the antenna working?
Confused
Any help appreciated
Binny
  Send a private message to this user    
tanman
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Cressida owners - how do you wire up the elec antenna? Thu, 17 April 2003 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So when am I going to get to see the new beast?
tanman
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Cressida owners - how do you wire up the elec antenna? Fri, 18 April 2003 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stereo Wiring

Grey - Accessory(When ignition is turned on)
Blue/Yellow - Power/Memory(Connected to Battery +ve)
Green/White - Antenna Power Relay

Brown - Ground(Earth, -ve, chassis, All brown cables in the Cressida are ground)
Green - Dimmer(Dashboard lighting, used to dim radio when it's dark so it wont blind you)

Light Green - Front Right +ve
Blue - Front Right -ve
Pink - Front Left +ve
Purple - Front Left -ve
Red - Rear Right +ve
White - Rear Right -ve
Black - Rear Left +ve
Yellow - Rear Left -ve

binny
Regular

March 2003
Re: Cressida owners - how do you wire up the elec antenna? Fri, 18 April 2003 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh thanks Tanman,
That looks the same as the info I found. The dude who wrote it says in brackets to use a new antenna because the factory one has strange circuitry. I think it has something to do with enabling it only when the radio is on or something. There must be a way to trigger the antenna on becuase it has seperate power running to it already (plug on it has 6 wires going in and one of them has 12v on it). There should be a way of earthing or providing power to a certain wire or 2 to get it working. I've already blown a fuse experimenting so I was hoping someone has already worked it out. I might try a car audio place and see if they know.

Thanks
Binny

[Updated on: Fri, 18 April 2003 03:02]

frebbles
Regular

May 2002

Re: Cressida owners - how do you wire up the elec antenna? Sat, 19 April 2003 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello, I'm the dude that wrote that, I did it as part of some doco to install an aftermarket stereo in the cressida. The reason for the strange wiring is unknown to me, If the radio didn't want the antenna up then all it had to do was to lower the voltage of one particular wire. There was one "remote" wire on the antenna, but the head unit seems to wire a few extra wires to control some part of the amplifier unit in the antenna. Unless you have the patience to wire up a relay or two, to me it was cheaper to buy a 30 dollar auto antenna unit. Also you dont blow anything up this way.
Check my website out for the full doco if thats where you got it.
The antenna is the difficult part of doing a stereo in the cressida because of this, if you are desperate to get the factory unit working, go to a stereo installer. They should be able to help you.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Cressida owners - how do you wire up the elec antenna? Sat, 19 April 2003 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i installed a head unit in a hilux a while ago, and had this same problem, damn wierd toyotas.

i know this doesn't help at all, but thanks for the explaination!!
inferno6688
Occasional Poster

March 2003

Re: Cressida owners - how do you wire up the elec antenna? Sun, 20 April 2003 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i got a after market HU fitted in my MX83
it was fitted byt a car audio shop so i dunno how they wired it up. but i didn't get a new antenna. and the guy did say antyuing about putting in relays and stuff. so i am guess it can be done!!
i just dunno how!!
grande91
Regular

July 2002
Re: Cressida owners - how do you wire up the elec antenna? Mon, 21 April 2003 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i found it was easy'er to connect the OEM antenna to a six pin switch,the only thing is you have to remember to put the antenna down b4 you leave the car,....
Southo
Regular

I supported Toymods

August 2002
Re: Cressida owners - how do you wire up the elec antenna? Fri, 02 May 2003 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's probably due to the fact that the "radio function" only raises the antenna - so it's not just a "power on" feature. eg, if you power on the radio, the antenna raises, but if you then switch it to CD or Tape, the antenna retracts again..

does that offer any insight as to a way around it ??
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Cressida owners - how do you wire up the elec antenna? Fri, 02 May 2003 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know a bunch of ma61 owners who have the same problem (me included)
toyota just have some weird arse way of doing it.

fortunately it doesn't worry me, as I dont listen to the radio (except now, while my supra is off the road, and my get round car has no cd player)
binny
Regular

March 2003
Re: Cressida owners - how do you wire up the elec antenna? Fri, 02 May 2003 10:00 Go to previous message
I had figured it was something to do with the radio being on or etc. I was hoping someone had worked out how to trigger it by earthing or shorting wires etc. I'm going to have a fiddle on the weekend and see what I can come up with. Will let u all know if i work it out. Christ it can't be too hard. I work on Aircraft wiring for a living. Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1JZ Wiring Diagrams for JZX-90 Chaser
Next Topic:1JZ Firing order
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 13:55:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0043778419494629 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.