Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Engine transplant for an MX83 Cressida

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
icon5.gif  Engine transplant for an MX83 Cressida Mon, 05 May 2003 03:43 Go to next message
I have an 1991 MX83 Cressida... How easy is it to replace the standard engine with a 1JZ-GTE or the 7M-GTE? Which is better? Is there something else I should look at? My aim is too boost the power as cheaply as possible but not too much power so that I can keep the auto and other stuff standard. Also, what is the 7M-GE worth? I mean how much will it offset the cost of its replacement?
  Send a private message to this user    
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: Engine transplant for an MX83 Cressida Mon, 05 May 2003 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1jzgte is the better option...lighter, more reliable and more powerful in factory tune. advertise the 7mge in the trading post...depending on wat condition its in its worth between $4-$700. Is it a grande? If so the diff should be fine, auto not too sure...if you bought a 1jzgte 1/2 cut you'd get an auto trany anyway. If its a gli/glxi diff wont last if it cops a caining.
fstrnldr
Newcomer

December 2002

Re: Engine transplant for an MX83 Cressida Mon, 05 May 2003 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am in the process of swapping my 89 cressida (us spec) w/ the 7mgte out of my 89 Supra the supra is going 1jz, some of the probelms w/ the GTe into the mx83 are that the oil are different in that the GTE oil pump will not bolt up to the mx83 front sump pickup and the oil pumps between GTe and GE are different in that one is high volume low pressure and the other is high pressure low volume.... the other problem i have come across is that the oil cooler adapter found on the supras GTE won't clear the the engine mounts from the mx83. So far these are the only major things i have found but i am not too far into my swap both cars are torn down and i am redoing some internals on the GTE before installation. The easiest route for some more power would be to just bolt the turbo, manifold, and IC onto the ge motor w/ maybe some fuel/timing control, but the GE engine will not hold up to the same power that the GTE either 7m or 1jz will hold up to. If you do decide to go w/ the 1JZ there is a member of the JZA70 Yahoo group that has done or is doing the swap that may be able to help / your swap. Hope this info helps and let me know what you decide to do.

Brandon
crazy_camry
Regular

April 2003
Re: Engine transplant for an MX83 Cressida Mon, 05 May 2003 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zoom no. 54 featured the 1JZ swap into a cressida. all up the guy spent $13 000, including the cost of the car. the articles goes through the swap process, it might be an idea to grab that issue and hae a read.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Engine transplant for an MX83 Cressida Mon, 05 May 2003 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As in the other threads a JZX81 half cut will be a straight bolt in / bolt out of your old affair. Be prepared it wait for a JZX81 tho, they are not that common and any other 1JZ will require new mounts, intercooling piping, aircon piping..etc

In otherwords if you want a 1JZ get a JZX81 halfcut and it will swap straigh in AC intercooler and all Very Happy

Cheers
Wilbo
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Engine transplant for an MX83 Cressida Mon, 05 May 2003 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you did go 7m-gte (which I dont recommend.. I lurv 1jzs) remember you'd need a 91 model 7m-gte, which greatly limits your options, unless you think you could fudge it past an engineer.
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Engine transplant for an MX83 Cressida Tue, 06 May 2003 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is the transmission that came with the 1JZ compatible with my standard transmission mounts and the rest of my car? And no, my car is a GLX. I know the Grande came standard with an LSD but I didn't think that it would be more durable, just better grip.

As you might have guessed by my obvious ignorance on the topic of car mods, i am new to this game. Also I am a student with a small amount of cash so bolt-off bolt-on jobs are the most attractive at this point.

Thanks for your help ROBBO...
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Engine transplant for an MX83 Cressida Tue, 06 May 2003 06:57 Go to previous message
if you have a small amount of cash, why are you doing an engine conversion?
they get expensive quite quickly
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:7M auto box service
Next Topic:w58 strength
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 03:18:00 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048799514770508 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.