Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » How does a distributor work?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
pepsicola
Forums Junkie

August 2002

How does a distributor work? Thu, 08 May 2003 05:09 Go to next message
can any one tell me how does it work?
like what it got inside the cap, how does it distribute spark?
  Send a private message to this user    
nzsimon
Occasional Poster

May 2003
Re: How does a distributor work? Thu, 08 May 2003 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/channel.htm?ch=auto& amp;sub=sub-under-the-hood

there ya go that one should keep you busy for awhile
LowRollaBoy
Regular

June 2002
Re: How does a distributor work? Thu, 08 May 2003 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For a DOHC engine, the dizzy runns off either the exhaust cam.
It then 'distributes' spark to each spark plug lead, leading to each spark plug.
Within a dizzy is a rotor cap, which spins according to the possition and timing, which then provides spark to the plugs Smile

You can increase or descrease timing by moving your dizzy a couple degrees.

Most import turbos are benefited by retarding timing a couple degrees to help with 96ron.
NA's usually benefit with a couple degrees of advanced timing.
pepsicola
Forums Junkie

August 2002

Re: How does a distributor work? Thu, 08 May 2003 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the info.
what i actually want to know is that, inside the dissy cap, there's five dots of metal there(one at the middle), which i think is use to distribute spark.
How does the spark from the middle be distributed to each of the four on the edge?
I guess there's something spinning according to the exhaust cam. I want to know what does this thing look like, I guess it would touch the middle dot, consider the middle one has got a spring holding it. and does it touch each of the dots on the edge too?

also the dots on the edge, are covered up with grey color stuff in my second hand dissy cap, should i clean this up to bare metal? and how?
Thanks.

_Rivmasta_
Regular

April 2003
Re: How does a distributor work? Thu, 08 May 2003 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As the shaft through the guts of the dizzy spins electrical spark is is sent up to the rotor button. Each time the dizzy spins past one of the electrodes on the inside of the dizzy cap it sends a charge through the cap to the lead and to the plug.

The rotor button is just a plastic hat that slides over the shaft tip that has a long electrode that comes out horizontally.

When cleaning the inside of the cap use a bit of wet and dry to clean it up but do not remove too much material or the rotor button wont contact properly and you'll be wasting spark inside the cap instead of sending it to the plugs. Caps arent too expensive. If your worried about cleaning it up go get a cap and rotor button.

Remember to clean out the cap properly and dont leave any dirt or metal inside the cap!!!! give it a sqirt with some CRC or WD to clean it out and remove any moisture.

If you want to dress up the inside of your engine get a clear cap. they cost a bit but but looks awesome!
Rivmasta
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How does a distributor work? Thu, 08 May 2003 07:18 Go to previous message
pepsicola wrote on Thu, 08 May 2003 16:34

thanks for the info.
what i actually want to know is that, inside the dissy cap, there's five dots of metal there(one at the middle), which i think is use to distribute spark.
How does the spark from the middle be distributed to each of the four on the edge?

The high voltage current gets from the central terminal to the outer ones by way of the rotor button.

I guess there's something spinning according to the exhaust cam. I want to know what does this thing look like, I guess it would touch the middle dot, consider the middle one has got a spring holding it. and does it touch each of the dots on the edge too?

It can be driven off either cam, or as in other engines off an auxillary shaft. As for a spring thing, I think I want to see a pic before I make any further comment.

also the dots on the edge, are covered up with grey color stuff in my second hand dissy cap, should i clean this up to bare metal? and how?

With a small file. Be sure not to scratch the actual cap as the current will potentially arc across to the scratch, resulting in misfiring/rough running.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:sc14 supercharger onto a 18rgeu... has anyone done this conversion?
Next Topic:5SFE Camry clutch pedal throw
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 18:09:15 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0069141387939453 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.