Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
swankiedude
Regular

March 2003

Polishing engine parts Fri, 02 May 2003 01:34 Go to next message
I know this can be done yourself but does any1 know how to do it and what is needed to do it as well
  Send a private message to this user    
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Polishing engine parts Fri, 02 May 2003 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, we had a bit of a talk about this a while ago, Autosol (sp?) and Mothers came up to be the things to use.

Here

Try a search I think there have been a few others as well Smile

Cheers
Wilbo
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Polishing engine parts Fri, 02 May 2003 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steel parts you will need a die grinder, assorted hand files and lotsa time.

Alloy parts: there are some good products put out by Scotchbrite and I think 3M do them as well. They are basically fittings that go into a die grinder however they are made out of a plastic material like a pot scourer. Really good for alloy work.

Follow this up with a good metal polish and your parts will be mirror finished.

Be aware it is a lot of work.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Polishing engine parts Fri, 02 May 2003 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i've used the 3M products (made under the scotchbrite brand) and i just sent some to...SUPRA MAN to have a go.... they grades i have are for grinding (great for combustion chambers and ports) and polishing, and they do a great job. not mirror finish but not far off. finishing would be with a soft pad and a polishing compound as mentioned above.
Cya, Stewart

[Updated on: Fri, 02 May 2003 04:22]

swankiedude
Regular

March 2003

Re: Polishing engine parts Fri, 02 May 2003 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can shocks be polished, just out of curiousity??? I am looking at doing the cam cover on a 18RGEU
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Polishing engine parts Fri, 02 May 2003 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've seen polished HKS Hiper Damper coilovers, so yes, it is possible. They will get dirty easily though, being where they are and all.
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Polishing engine parts Sat, 03 May 2003 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive said it before and i will say it again. AUTOSOL is the way of the future!! Laughing Laughing
justin
swankiedude
Regular

March 2003

Re: Polishing engine parts Sat, 03 May 2003 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where do you get this autosol stuff from and do I need anything else. Some1 was saying something about needing a bit for a drill to do it properly
Alainve
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Polishing engine parts Sat, 03 May 2003 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive just bought a bench grinder and some polishing wheels and compounds.
Industrial grade 200mm grinder $200
stiched polishing wheel $25
loose buffing wheel $50
cutting compound $9
aluminium polishing and Stainless polishing compound $9 each

theres still another intermediate wheel i need to buy but its around $30 i think when i can get one
so all up its around $330 for the gear to polish larger items up to a mirror finish.

its alot of work but it certainly is worth the effort and costs alot less than getting heaps of stuff profesionally polished
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Polishing engine parts Mon, 05 May 2003 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can get the autosol from car parts places but it is bloody expensive. Most supermarkets have it and at a much cheeper price.

Looks a lot like tooth paste packaging but I wouldn't try polishing your teeth with it. The box is pink if that helps. Probably find it in either the automotive section or with cleaning products.

This stuff is only good for polishing a smooth surface, Don't even attempt to polish an as cast surface with it.
ae101rKev
Occasional Poster

October 2002
Re: Polishing engine parts Tue, 06 May 2003 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After you polish the surface to a shine, do you need to treat it/clear laquer it to prevent rust?
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Polishing engine parts Tue, 06 May 2003 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The alloy won't rust but it will go a dull grey colour. I am not sure how well a clear coat will stick to polished alloy. You will probably need to use an epoxy type paint.

I usually just use a metal polish and give it a clean every now and then.

Steel wool with soap works really well. Sounds bad, but I use it all the time on my wheels and it works a treat.
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Polishing engine parts Wed, 07 May 2003 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
with in regards to the clears over the polished parts u can do it but it looses alot of its shine and sparkle and not only that it does get dirty after a while and the only way to clean it is to paint strip it again and start all over again i dont recomment it
as gold28 said just clean them up from time to time as this is what i do and again use the steel wool and some metal polish such as mothers (i use this stuff its great) or autosoul (use to use this both as good as eachother) and it will come out great just takes alot of time thats all.
TRD 1Tonner
Newcomer

May 2002
Re: Polishing engine parts Wed, 07 May 2003 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is one product iv'e just finish using on all my polished
aluminum sections on my 1J.Its like a 2 Pac clear,glossy & sets
as hard as a rock an won't scratch!! (so the Rep assures me anyway) You can either paint it with a brush, or spray it.Personally I sprayed it! Try this Web site: www.ppc.au.com
A bit pricy around $90.00 for 500mls.But well worth it.It also
comes in colours.Check the web site.
cheers Shane.
ae101rKev
Occasional Poster

October 2002
Re: Polishing engine parts Thu, 08 May 2003 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the replies, may give this a good on the weekend.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Polishing engine parts Thu, 08 May 2003 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TRD, was that the Glisten PC you used?
nzsimon
Occasional Poster

May 2003
Re: Polishing engine parts Thu, 08 May 2003 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alainve is onto it all the other replies are just dreaming of how good alloy can look if it is polished properly

The stainless polish will only get it shiny you need to follow on from that with green lime then a newbuff with nothing on it and the parts will look better than chrome

I am polishing my entire 1uz don't know how to post a pic

I am not useing the throttle body so I may polish it and sell it if anyone is interested

[Updated on: Thu, 08 May 2003 05:06]

gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Polishing engine parts Thu, 08 May 2003 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing I'd love to see you polish a 1UZ with a bench grinder Laughing
LowRollaBoy
Regular

June 2002
Re: Polishing engine parts Thu, 08 May 2003 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hand filed one alloy rim (with variuous grains of sanpaper and files) to a mirror finish. It took ages, once i got it to as close to a mirror finish, i whipped out the die grinder with a soft tip with autosol to finish it off.

Mind u if u dont continue to polish ur part, it will tarnish and dull back to crap over time.
TRD 1Tonner
Newcomer

May 2002
Re: Polishing engine parts Thu, 08 May 2003 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes it was the Glisten PC.Great stuff.The Rep showed me a piece
of aluminum that had been buffed & coated with it & it was over 12 months old & still look as shiny as hell!!Rubbed it on the bench top & never scratched either Shocked
cheers Shane.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Polishing engine parts Thu, 08 May 2003 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats what my whole bloody car is being coated in over the new paint job. Its bloody expensive, but its worth it for that extra little bit of POR15 protection.
TRD 1Tonner
Newcomer

May 2002
Re: Polishing engine parts Thu, 08 May 2003 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have u seen a car sprayed with this stuff before??
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Polishing engine parts Thu, 08 May 2003 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nope, but I'll find out in a month or two! They said its what I should be using. Imagine it, paint that doesn't chip Razz
TRD 1Tonner
Newcomer

May 2002
Re: Polishing engine parts Thu, 08 May 2003 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Will it be going over a 2 pac base?? If you don't mind me asking
did u get a quote on how much? I'm very interested!!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Polishing engine parts Thu, 08 May 2003 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not sure, according to PPC it's compatible with any paint system. I didn't get a full quote yet, I'm spraying it myself as well.
nzsimon
Occasional Poster

May 2003
Re: Polishing engine parts Thu, 08 May 2003 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"I'd love to see you polish a 1UZ with a bench grinder "

Just watch me, a drill and the grinder have so far done the heads the injection the bellhouseing and the alternator

And all of the stainless suspension parts

I have also done the 3 piece revolution race wheels of the missus Lotus Esprit

Theres those that talk about it and take the piss and theres those that get on with it and do it which one do you wanta be

pics here http://www.roddingroundtable.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/d cboard.cgi?az=read_count&om=3269&forum=DCF orumID1&omm=13&viewmode=threaded
nzsimon
Occasional Poster

May 2003
Re: Polishing engine parts Thu, 08 May 2003 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heres the stainless a arm from the diff rough polished before it gets tigged together then polished finally
http://www.roddingroundtable.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/d cboard.cgi?az=read_count&om=3326&forum=DCF orumID1
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Polishing engine parts Fri, 09 May 2003 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wasn't baggin you out mate, I totally agree with your process, It just that when I read your post, I got an image in my head of a guy holding up a 1UZ block to a bench grinder. Laughing

The rod looks great so far, what bodywork will it be wearing??

I have polished a few rims and things before, so I can appreciate the many hours you have put into the car so far. It is looking fantastic.

Thoes injection trumpets are getting me a little excited, I don't know if I should be looking at that sort of thing on the work computers Embarassed
purpleminiep
Regular

May 2002
Re: Polishing engine parts Fri, 09 May 2003 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have my mini body shell painted in por15. The stuff is unreal. I haven't done the hammer test but the places where i have done some grinding have gone rusty really quickly and when i clean up the rust and take the paint back a bit around the area there is no rust under the paint at all. The stuff stops rust like a wall

Brad
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Polishing engine parts Fri, 09 May 2003 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats EXACTLY what I wanted to hear Razz
nzsimon
Occasional Poster

May 2003
Re: Polishing engine parts Fri, 09 May 2003 02:38 Go to previous message
It is a 1932 ford roadster although I don't actually think there is a single ford part in the project
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Fuel Lines
Next Topic:final decision 1ggte => sa63 will be done asap
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 15:52:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006821870803833 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.