Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Thinking about changing celicas?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SCO-77K
Regular

January 2003
Thinking about changing celicas? Thu, 01 May 2003 12:24 Go to next message
hey guys im thinking of changing celicas, i currently own
a 1987 sx (4th gen celica) and am think of selling that and getting a seveties celica.
now i need to know what ppl think ?
is this a good or a bad decision?
if so what model of the older celicas are the good ones?
and what should i get?
let me know what u guys reckon ta!
  Send a private message to this user    
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Thinking about changing celicas? Thu, 01 May 2003 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe, I guess the ST162 ain the flavour of the month this month aye?

old skool toyotas rock dude!

PEACE!
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Thinking about changing celicas? Thu, 01 May 2003 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go the TA22 http://www.kirupa.com/forums/smileys_files/banana.gif
Mijbril
Regular

April 2003
Re: Thinking about changing celicas? Thu, 01 May 2003 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As the recent purchaser of a 5th Gen GT4, I have come to wonder how infact I ever drove anything else.

But there is a certain "it" factor with the oldest Celicas
SCO-77K
Regular

January 2003
Re: Thinking about changing celicas? Fri, 02 May 2003 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh i would get a gt4 but i cant afford one Sad
7mgte83
Regular

January 2003
Re: Thinking about changing celicas? Fri, 02 May 2003 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(coughMA61cough) Smile
GEE120
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Thinking about changing celicas? Fri, 02 May 2003 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SCO-77K wrote on Fri, 02 May 2003 11:25

How much are you going to spend. Here is one thats in the trading post ATM.

Toyota Celica GT4 1990, white, 8 months rego, call for details, $9900, RJH-897 BONNYRIGG HEIGHTS 02-9823 0507 or 0405-075061
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Thinking about changing celicas? Fri, 02 May 2003 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What do you want it for ??

Good looks - 70's celica

Stealth - 80's+ ie ra60, ra65 and put 1ggte in it

Looks and stealth - ma61's

Comfort and looks - what you have now Smiley =
Mijbril
Regular

April 2003
Re: Thinking about changing celicas? Fri, 02 May 2003 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GEE120 wrote on Fri, 02 May 2003 13:58

SCO-77K wrote on Fri, 02 May 2003 11:25

How much are you going to spend. Here is one thats in the trading post ATM.

Toyota Celica GT4 1990, white, 8 months rego, call for details, $9900, RJH-897 BONNYRIGG HEIGHTS 02-9823 0507 or 0405-075061

I rang about that one when I was car hunting. Haven't seen it, but what I found out was, it's done 240K & all maintenance work has been done by the owner. Interior is meant to be perfect, body has a small ding in the rear but is otherwise fine.

Owner has had the car for about 18 months & (according to his mother who I spoke to) was fanatical about keeping in good order & now he just wants another newer car.

Main reason I never looked at it was because the insurance company was dragging their heels over the payout from my other car & I didn't want to be messing a private seller about.
Plecostomus
Occasional Poster

April 2003
Re: Thinking about changing celicas? Fri, 02 May 2003 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heh, i have almost the same car as you! (cept mine is 89 model).

i often wish i had the 70's model version but the one i have now is quite practical for what i want it for. Plus ive spent a fair amount of money on it most of which i would never get back if i were to sell. I have to think about some of the reasons i got the car i have in the first place - things like air con and cruise control i would certainly miss.

I'm actually considering getting an old 70's model and restoring it myself as a bit of a sideline project - can someone tell me if its possible/reasonable to install air con in one of these? Also, what sort of money i'd be looking at for a 70's celica suitable for restoration?

[Updated on: Fri, 02 May 2003 06:23]

Pumpkin
Regular

Toymods Board Member

September 2002
Re: Thinking about changing celicas? Fri, 02 May 2003 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aircon in the Ta22 and TA/RA23, is not hard. They came out with aircon from the factory on most of them.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Thinking about changing celicas? Fri, 02 May 2003 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually aircon is rare on the RA23/28 and extremely rare on the TA22. You can find them though.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Thinking about changing celicas? Fri, 02 May 2003 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
geez pumpkin - which part of the world are you in ?

It took me 3 years + 2 states worth of searching to find a COMPLETE factory ta22 aircon system - and ivce only ever seen 2 other ta22's with them - in the car - running ..

re classic celicas though - the ra23 or 28 is the choice if you want broader engine + suspension options - ta22 is the way to go if you want precice light car fun + real classic appeal

expect to pay 3-4 k for a very tidy stock ta22 or mildly modified one in very good running order .

on the lesser scale you can get fixer uppers ones with twin cam motors or 3tgte's for about the same money
i know of one in a shed here in colac - needs a quarter panel + other work but in overall Ok shape for $100

manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Thinking about changing celicas? Fri, 02 May 2003 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmmm...my TA22 comes with aircon

this raises its price ???

Ta
Mani
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Thinking about changing celicas? Fri, 02 May 2003 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mani - if it works - well theres a few hundred more value in my book - Aircon is a god - send
SCO-77K
Regular

January 2003
Re: Thinking about changing celicas? Sat, 03 May 2003 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh i never really thought about it that way. i would miss my air con, power windows, power antenna etc etc
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Thinking about changing celicas? Sat, 03 May 2003 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont worry about the luxurys. think about the classic looks you get rolling your classic celica, i get millions, thats when it is running.
justin
stylez
Regular

October 2002

Re: Thinking about changing celicas? Sat, 03 May 2003 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah and think about all the extra time everyone gets to look at it while you slowly crawl away from lights etc Razz

old celicas are nice, but modern luxuries should not be underestimated, driving my dads outback certainly is a whole lot different to my 22, i'd suggest you run a side project, and get one, alot less hassle that way, you won't be rushed to fix stuff, or afraid to wait for parts.
TA22-3SGTE
Regular

May 2002
Re: Thinking about changing celicas? Sat, 03 May 2003 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TA22

[Updated on: Sat, 03 May 2003 10:37]

manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Thinking about changing celicas? Sat, 03 May 2003 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WTF was so hard about writing "TA22" that it needed editing Razz

mate if u want looks....cut your muffler off....
7mgte83
Regular

January 2003
Re: Thinking about changing celicas? Sun, 04 May 2003 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think stylez has a good point, keep the car you have as a daily driver and get an old school project car.
mr spears
Regular

May 2002
Re: Thinking about changing celicas? Sun, 04 May 2003 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mani, i agree Laughing

so how much is a TA22 air con setup worth then? my parts car has air con but im using a nissan motor so i wont need the compressor etc
ra23celicachick
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Thinking about changing celicas? Mon, 05 May 2003 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I own 3 RA23's and I love them

I've got air con bit's sitting there to go into my new one but there is talk of hanging a turbo off that side of the block so I may not use it. I'd need to get all new fittings etc because it never worked when I got it and it's been laying around the floor of the shed.

Anyway, old school are the best. It make's driving fun and a challenge. My policy is I won't have a car that is younger than me! My car's have 5 year's up on me!!

gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Thinking about changing celicas? Mon, 05 May 2003 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are going for a classic, go for a first gen celica. The later models (RA40 etc) arn't all that different but don't look as cool.

The22's are a bit lighter and a bit more fun to drive, however as Classique71 said, your engine / suspension options are restricted.

The 23/28's are still fun to drive and easily swallow a 1g for cheap power. If you are going to go for extra power, the 28's seem to handle the power a bit better. I guess there is a little more weight over the back wheels. Unless of course you prefer a smoke screen obstructing your number plate when you waste someone.

Aircon is good but don't buy a car just cos it has it. it's not too hard to come by if you ask around and easy to fit. Look for a car with a good straight, rust free body. Everything else is easy.
SCO-77K
Regular

January 2003
Re: Thinking about changing celicas? Mon, 05 May 2003 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanx heaps guys! ill consider my options
peewee
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Thinking about changing celicas? Fri, 09 May 2003 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just look at all the avatar pictures in this thread.... and realise that the first gen pics look the greatest by far

but i also agree on the keep current car and get a wreck to do up
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon4.gif  Re: Thinking about changing celicas? Fri, 09 May 2003 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
peewee wrote on Fri, 09 May 2003 13:06

just look at all the avatar pictures in this thread.... and realise that the first gen pics look the greatest by far

Ooh.... Them's fightin' werds! Laughing
gtfourdreams
Newcomer

January 2003
icon12.gif  Re: Thinking about changing celicas? Wed, 14 May 2003 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
too bad you cant have one of these in aussie... maybe you'll get lucky and find an import? Smile

http://www.mycgiserver.com/~xiong/mycar/chaos_st165.jpg

btw, this is my car. 1988 Toyota Celica All-Trac (AKA GT-FOUR) ST165, grey with black leather. mildly modded.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Thinking about changing celicas? Wed, 14 May 2003 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually, I've seen a few ST165s around. They're imports, so they're rare, that's all.
SCO-77K
Regular

January 2003
Re: Thinking about changing celicas? Wed, 14 May 2003 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh i saw one i little while ago in sydney for sale at $8000, i wish i had the money at the time Sad
FNK11Y
Regular

May 2002
icon14.gif  Re: Thinking about changing celicas? Wed, 14 May 2003 16:22 Go to previous message
1 Point to PeeWee Laughing

[Updated on: Wed, 14 May 2003 16:24]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Ancient Crowns For Sale!
Next Topic:vinyl roof?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 12:53:33 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065789222717285 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.