Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » What average people think about old cars?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
What average people think about old cars? Fri, 09 May 2003 04:54 Go to next message
A girl at work always bugged me about my car being old and that her stock lancer was the ultimate in sport coupes. She assumed that cause it was old that it would drive like shit have no mod-cons an be mega rattly and so gave me crap about it...

I finally got the opportunity to take her around the block and it seems that shes not going to bother me about the car anymore, especially now she knows its got more mod-cons than her lancer, and that of course, it goes much harder...

does anyone else have this trouble at work?
  Send a private message to this user    
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What average people think about old cars? Fri, 09 May 2003 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All the time. I drive the 'bowls' car (1966 Crown station wagon) since we all went to see the movie 'Crackerjack'.

Care factor = 0.

I love my car.
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What average people think about old cars? Fri, 09 May 2003 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Fri, 09 May 2003 15:05

All the time. I drive the 'bowls' car (1966 Crown station wagon) since we all went to see the movie 'Crackerjack'.

Care factor = 0.

I love my car.

Ummmm wtf........... an ICU Reg driving in an old car??? Very Happy

What gives??? Or do you have some beast at home that you are to afraid to take to work!!

Gotten on the wrong side of a nurse eh??!!!! Laughing Laughing

Fuck man for working 16 hour days as opposed to 8 hr shift I do as a registered nurse I'd want to be having something at least $80k in my garage!!

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What average people think about old cars? Fri, 09 May 2003 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehe, yeah. All my uni friends drive cars at least 5 years younger than mine. I get grief from people sometimes, but everyone whos been in my car (when all the interior is there Razz) doesn't say anything again. It looks crap outside but its got a decent stereo, its comfortable and the interior is nice.

Its funny, cos my mates Starion gets paid out on all the time Razz

They are all looking forward to seeing the XX on the road though. Nicer interior than my Celica inside and out and with (when its finished) nearly 100kW more at the wheels than the Celica makes at the engine! Laughing
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What average people think about old cars? Fri, 09 May 2003 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Speedcore, yep, ICU reg AND old car....the only person with an older car at this hospital is one of my bosses, but it's a pristinely restored and manicured old Jag that never sees the light of day.
I really try hard not to cross the nurses....I'm acutely aware about how hellish my life could become! Laughing
Oh, and make that 24 hour shifts...... Confused
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: What average people think about old cars? Fri, 09 May 2003 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Had a g/f who had to have all new stuff and she use to hate getting in my 23 because it didnt look the part so we bought a 97 pulsar and it was the biggest piece of s&^t i have ever owned.
People at work always use to bug me about my car and my boss who had a vs ute seemed to always want to line me up for a drag (go figure Rolling Eyes )
JDM hachi
Regular

February 2003
Re: What average people think about old cars? Fri, 09 May 2003 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i guess all that i can say is average people don't think about old cars, all the brainwashing provided by the advertising all around (not just car related) gives the non-thinker the impression/idea/whatever that every thing new must be better/faster/stronger/improved/....etc.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What average people think about old cars? Fri, 09 May 2003 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your not wrong hachi, i recall hearing an add for the 2003 corolla boasting that the all new corolla had McPherson strut suspension on the front Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: What average people think about old cars? Fri, 09 May 2003 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i cop shit from mates too, but some just do it to wind me up as they know i love my car.

Its nothing awfully special, but its mine, its not bank or parent financed, its not super common, goes and handles alrite and can still raise an inquisitve eyebrow.

Sure it still needs some work but its surprised most 'non beleivers' that have gone for a ride.

Mind you give me a few months and some dollars and i should have a schmick little sleeper.

Or so i hope Rolling Eyes
peewee
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: What average people think about old cars? Fri, 09 May 2003 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a guy at work with an 89 commy always gave me shit bout my ta22 being old and slow etc. the other night we were lined up next to each other off the lights goin home. let's just say he hasnt given my car any more shit
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: What average people think about old cars? Sat, 10 May 2003 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how this my boss who owns a 98 excel with a 2L engine was giving me shit about my purchase of an 82 model corona. He was telling me how fast his car is now with the 2L. I just said 'alright i will race you at willowbank at a test and tune'. Still being all snobby about his fully sik excel he asks 'why what you got?'
i reply 'oh nothing much, just one of those little 1jz-gtes!' hehe, now he thinks he is going to turbo it before he races me!!!
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: What average people think about old cars? Sat, 10 May 2003 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your average joe looks at an old car and says - gee i havent seen one of them for a while - will take a 2nd look if its real good nick and thats about it.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What average people think about old cars? Sun, 11 May 2003 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know a lot of people who constantly ask when I'm going to trade my Supra in for a new car (which they seem to think I can afford). Hmmm lets see, a 2003 model Lancer/Corolla/Pulsar, or a 2JZ Supra? For a lot of people the obvious choice is the bland buzz-box with a factory warranty, but for me the obvious choice is the stock-looking old Supra which can pull a new Monaro's pants down and give it a good spanking! Very Happy I guess people have very different opinions on what makes a "good" car.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What average people think about old cars? Sun, 11 May 2003 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bassaholic..
maybe you should tell him you spank the pants of a rexy, and no matter what his does to his lancer all you have to do is wind up the boost to beat it Razz

I'm with you norbie
was having a talk to a friend yesterday about this very things.
I buy my cars for me. I dont care about looking cool in it (though I do Smile), and I certainly dont care about picking up chicks in it.
it is exactly what I want in a car. why would I want something different? (except maybe a mk4)
Mx73_LuXoBarge
Regular

October 2002
Re: What average people think about old cars? Sun, 11 May 2003 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GT- Bowls car? But doesn't ur bowls car have a 1uz under the hood? Or have you only had time to attach the V8 badge? Very Happy

(which surely gives at least another 5kw at the wheels Laughing )
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What average people think about old cars? Sun, 11 May 2003 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cant stand ppl that base their decisions on what they do to there car to pick up chicks.....i mean do u really want a chick that only likes u cause of your car ???

It shouldnt matter even if your driving a mitsubishi Colt.....damn car hoes

Ta
Mani
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What average people think about old cars? Sun, 11 May 2003 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that was exactly what agreement we came to!
I build a car for me.
any chick that I pick up because of my car isn't a girl I want to be picking up!
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What average people think about old cars? Sun, 11 May 2003 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah back to the subject.

I recently went thru the whole singles thing after leaving a long time g/f and it's funny cos I'd just tell girls it's my shit box but it was fast. got some funny looks, till you take em for a spin down the highway.

oh and I'd never "pick up" in my car.. thats just dirty!

[Updated on: Sun, 11 May 2003 09:14]

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What average people think about old cars? Sun, 11 May 2003 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meh
I'm with bugman
picking up in a car is not my thing either.

when I tell girls my car is fast, they agree wholeheartedly.
too many people know that what I consider "fast" is for them "insane", and they know if they disagree I'll prove it to them.

for most people, first gear and not breaking the speed limit is enough
toycelica77
Regular

February 2003
Re: What average people think about old cars? Sun, 11 May 2003 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is why you leave your dial-in time on your car after bracket racing...

just so you dont get SOHC lancers trying to race you Very Happy

works sometimes Confused
ra23celicachick
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: What average people think about old cars? Mon, 12 May 2003 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My old car's are great. Everyone tells me to get rid of them and buy something new but I'd rather a car that can rust than a car that can melt. Give me a car with no crumple zones anyday.
HooN
Regular

May 2002
Re: What average people think about old cars? Mon, 12 May 2003 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Old jap cars are really the only cars that do it for me.
The Japanese Muscle cars, designed with not a little consideration for peak hour parking (i.e Celica GT)

But having been in a few brand spanking new off the shelf cars, i cant help but be envious of their interior's fit and finish. Might be just the way every bit of trim (ugly as they may be) fits solidly and perfectly. And everything frikkn works.

Wish i could make my Starion that refined and solid, though its still a far cry from my um, DIY RA23 celica (as in, if a passenger wants a trim piece or a window winder, or even a seat at the back, they better find one and do it themselves)..

Still, I will always be an old school fool..

cheers
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What average people think about old cars? Mon, 12 May 2003 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HooN wrote on Mon, 12 May 2003 13:24

Still, I will always be an old school fool..

hehe cool quote Cool
TheStitt
Forums Junkie

Membership Secretary

June 2002

Re: What average people think about old cars? Mon, 12 May 2003 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Old cars are awsome they just have so much class.

As they say CLASSIC NOT PLASTIC. Old cars just have some Ora about them. They just look cool.

All my mates just love my car. At the moment it is just a bucket of bolts. In my opinion it needs alot of work but my friends love cruising it. They love the class of the rear power window my nodding dog and just the lines of the car.

All of got to say is nothing beats cruising and just getting looks from ppl 1. because of the age of the car and 2. because ppl are going WTF is that? I have conversations with ppl all the time just driving along they want to know all about it.

But the best thing about owning an old car is the fact that you can join the old car driver club. And just give waves,thumbs up and the nod of approval to all old car drivers. Wether they be ford, holden, chev, toyota or otherwise that is cool. Its just a mutual respect.

Heaps of non believers give me crap about my car. But I agree with Norbie. Why spend $20 grand on some little shit box when you can spend the money on a piping 2J 68 crown station wagon that whips the arse out of a $100 grand GTS bommadore.

just my 2c
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What average people think about old cars? Mon, 12 May 2003 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I sold my classic for practicalitys sake - it was just too good IMHO to leave as a daily driver into the stinking dirty carpark where were forced to park our cars at work

It was a FUN car - i miss it heaps - but its not the type of machine i could just jump in and drive to melbourne and not worry about

The gt4 serves all my purposes - ie work car - hauling space for my monster mutt - friend carryability - and of course the speed aspect - quite happily - and its a joy with EFI set and forget Smile

As said before - Ill get another ta or RA one day soon - its now coming to my mind how far is too far with the GT4 - Even though it really is the better platform for mods - or whether to go back to having a strict classic weekend blaster done to the tits..

Who knows ! maybe ill just buy a stock Ta22 and build what i had - its repeating what id already done - But when i sold it - My old girl was a fine fun machine that cost me Squat to run
ra23celicachick
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: What average people think about old cars? Tue, 13 May 2003 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm sure once I've got the new beast going I wouldn't mind selling Jokey to you Stu! That would be a long way down the track though and she would need a fair bit of work!
DannyGT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member

May 2002

thread edited Tue, 13 May 2003 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

guys please keep the threads on-topic to the discussion at hand and the posts clean.

the offending posts have been removed.

continuing to post such comments will earn you a first and final warning.

gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: What average people think about old cars? Wed, 14 May 2003 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The fellas at work keep reminding me that I sould get rid of my celica cause it is out of warranty. pffffttt Even if it was under warranty, I think it would be voided by the non standard oil I am using. Laughing

All you can do is inform them of their mistakes and giggle when they complain.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: What average people think about old cars? Wed, 14 May 2003 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and then flog the crap out of their "company cars" with your 26 year old beast! Very Happy

old cars rule - you can do conversions!
ra23celicachick
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: What average people think about old cars? Wed, 14 May 2003 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, at work here it's an on-going joke about me and my old car's how they are always breaking. I haven't had any major problems since October last year, that's like 7 months ago. All I do is fill her up with petrol, oil and occasionally clean the spark plugs and off we go. (after 5 minutes of warming up) Rolling Eyes

But the thing I love most about old cars is their caracter. My Jokey has a mind of her own and sometimes she's a real bitch, other times she's really good for me and can even put on a bit of a show for on lookers (usually a good backfire does the trick) Twisted Evil

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What average people think about old cars? Wed, 14 May 2003 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nothing impresses people more than a blast of flame out the exhaust Smile (the advantage of running way too rich)
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What average people think about old cars? Wed, 14 May 2003 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah when i sell my 22 ill prob miss the looks i get

I get more looks at night cause ppl cant see the crapp paintjob Laughing

i dunno what i want in a car anymore....im either thinking 1st gen celica or Cressida...

But im not sure so for now ill cruise around on my postie and decide in 2-3 yrs

TA
Mani
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What average people think about old cars? Wed, 14 May 2003 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Speaking of old things

Didnt even know this existed

http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au/marketplace/UsedCar Detail.asp?ID=2218723&Criteria=%40Make%3D%27TO YOTA%27%2C+%40Model%3D%27CENTURY+LIMOUSINE%27%2C+% 40OrderBy%3D%27P2%27&NoOfRecs=1&PageNo=1&a mp;chkRows=500

id love to grab one but parts on a TA22 are hard enough to source

Ta
Mani
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What average people think about old cars? Wed, 14 May 2003 12:41 Go to previous message
Centurys are cool. The newer ones have a 5 litre quad cam V12. Mewants!!!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:"Over-Rev" - The Next Initial D?
Next Topic:Happy birthday! Part 1
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 05:35:35 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065789222717285 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.